Coles shopper shames single mum after she paid for his groceries – the internet is furious

We previously reported about the case of one man who was 'traumatised' after being a subject of a random generous act that went viral online.

In the story, the man said that he values his privacy so much that it upset him when he found out that a video of him having his groceries paid for by someone else was circulating.

While acts like this have no ill intention, they can sometimes be dehumanising for the subjects.

So, why is this Coles shopper facing backlash after he complained about 'feeling embarrassed' by one single mum's random act of kindness?

Sharing his dilemma on Facebook, the man detailed how one woman paid for his groceries at a Coles checkout in NSW.

'I’m dead set over this pay it forward rubbish,' the customer wrote.

'So I was at Coles Woy Woy this morning when a single mum with a pram went to pay for my coffee, milk, banana and frozen chips.'

'Just stop, I was embarrassed and can afford my own groceries.'

'If you want to help, go donate to a charity please stop embarrassing me at the checkout, rant over.'

OdgbCSCisGM5wNrG2fuC80_HQTd2CHU0Pks51wOJeKXiwgTKjpbe8scCjFLYTD3ZMNZlPgLiyhozgY3Pmd-5IJ0iYYU-LJaWhRJ3UmBhBLgpM3AQH69tlxkAJCNEMYmi9JWRjtuIDTdik_EvR8qAow

The shopper said that he was upset when the woman thought of him as someone in need. Credit: 7News via Getty Images.

The man's controversial stance has sparked a huge backlash, attracting hundreds of social media users who labelled him as 'ungrateful' and called him out for his 'harsh' words.

One user wrote: 'Wow, what a beautiful lady and a lovely gesture. What a shame it was wasted on yourself.'

'I could afford my own fuel too, but one day a lovely old man paid for mine and his. And you know what? I was very thankful and paid it forward a few days later. I’m also a single mum and helped someone,' another shared.

A third chimed in: 'I think anyone that does anything nice these days gets a big smile and virtual hug from me - kindness is catching.'

Some users said that they were inspired by the lady to 'pay it forward’ because some people need help, not just in finances but also in their manners.

One comment read: 'She has definitely inspired me to do something lovely and kind for someone today #keeppayingitforward.'

Others said that the woman was unfortunate to have picked the wrong person to help that day.

One person said: 'She picked the wrong person that day but next time it might be that person that’s really in need and very grateful.'

'Wonder how it was for that lady to get up the courage to offer you the kindness and you slapped her in the face,' another wrote.

‘You should feel ashamed. If you felt embarrassed ask yourself why. That’s your problem, no one else’s.'

Meanwhile, several users understood the man's point of view, saying that it is insulting if other people randomly assume that you're financially in need.

'You would be a bit miffed wouldn’t you ... If you were merrily doing your own thing and you realised people thought you were homeless or something,' argued one person.

We believe that helping others in need is an important value to have. However, we also believe in the value of consent, so we understand where the concerns of those who received the generous acts are coming from.

What do you think? Should people be allowed to perform such acts of kindness without consent? Let us know in the comments section below!

Sponsored