Coles shopper outraged after worker does this 'frustrating' thing - is he in the right?

We've all been there: standing in line at the grocery store, patiently waiting our turn, only to be told that our items need to be re-racked and we have to start all over again. It's a frustrating experience, to say the least.

But one Coles shopper's recent ordeal takes the cake, making the headlines after his experience with a staff member's 'frustrating' act has gone viral.

Airing his grievance on Facebook, the customer detailed his experience, claiming that after spending an hour walking around the store with his eight-month-old, he finally made it to the register - only to be told that the operator's shift had ended and he would have to start all over again.

844552b5718c918255a3f5d88e8906a4fa16832d

A Coles shopper was left fuming after a staff member asked him to start queueing all over again because the employee’s shift is over. Credit: Sydney Morning Herald/Carla Gottgens.

He wrote: 'After lining up at the register like everyone else, third in queue, I load all my shopping on the register belt, which is really loaded, but all there.'

'Eight-month-old that has been good the whole time is growing frustrated by this stage, only to be told by the operator, sorry my shift has ended.'

'Me thinking, ‘OK someone else will come and take over.’ A few minutes pass and another operator comes to tell me [that] I will have to move all of my shopping back into the trolley and line up two checkouts up!'

The dad, who wished to remain anonymous, was understandably furious. 'I left the trolley-load of shopping, including a lot of meats, there and walked out,' he said.

He also added that he reached out to the store later that day to file a complaint and was able to speak to the store's assistant manager, describing his feeling as 'disgusted is an understatement.'

The post has captured the attention of a Coles representative who penned an apology statement to the customer.

The spokesperson wrote: 'We’re disappointed to hear this, as we expect our team members to be helpful and courteous to our customers at all times, and we’re sorry this wasn’t your experience.'

'We’ve now passed this info onto our Store and Regional Managers to follow up with the team in question, and to remind them of our expectations.'

'We trust that you’ll notice an improvement moving forward and hope to see you back in store soon.'

While it's not clear what caused the mix-up, one thing is for sure: this dad is not going to be shopping at that Coles anytime soon.

Do you think the customer is in the right for getting upset over the checkout mishap? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I can understand the Dad's frustration.
With an eight month old bubba, shopping for an hour is a long time.
He must have had a long shopping list.
He might have already been tired.....if the bubba didn't have a good sleeping routine.
If he was third in line, I'm not sure how he got his trolley full unloaded onto the conveyor belt....how was there any room to achieve this?
Why didn't the checkout person put a "Checkout closed" sign in place?
It doesn't make sense.
It also doesn't make sense to me as to why he just left it all.....he is the loser.....he wasted his time and goes home with nothing.
He could have made a noise and requested (demanded!?!?) some assistance to reload his trolley and be put through the first available checkout as soon as possible.
If assistance wasn't forthcoming, THEN leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbaranne
I find this story hard to believe. If a shift ends or it’s time for a break, another operator takes over the register. If it really happened this way, why didn’t the man ask to speak to the manager at the time, instead of waiting till later in the day?

it’s becoming more common these days Customer Service has go one out the window. I think company’s should look at this as becoming and more evident that staff need training in Customer Service. We cannot keep blaming Covid for this trend. It’s been happening for a long while now. It’s as if we are inconveniencing the supposed customer service officer that we are using their stores and companies.

We've all been there: standing in line at the grocery store, patiently waiting our turn, only to be told that our items need to be re-racked and we have to start all over again. It's a frustrating experience, to say the least.

But one Coles shopper's recent ordeal takes the cake, making the headlines after his experience with a staff member's 'frustrating' act has gone viral.

Airing his grievance on Facebook, the customer detailed his experience, claiming that after spending an hour walking around the store with his eight-month-old, he finally made it to the register - only to be told that the operator's shift had ended and he would have to start all over again.

ivLJvlEGs3famYszSE5rHsoFdkBF1tgNsxDUi1jsQW6dt9jrg6XyRmVmyIGtNeUFW1wcxlPLK2Um-V75CQrjFrp2Q3ErqubocjhiMMKftBMQRhN6Xt7Lh5VcbQmmx_yvwbcRjaO5Zh7QNE33HJwCkw

A Coles shopper was left fuming after a staff member asked him to start queueing all over again because the employee’s shift is over. Credit: 7News via Getty Images/Ian Waldie.

He wrote: 'After lining up at the register like everyone else, third in queue, load all my shopping on the register belt, which is really loaded, but all there.'

'Eight-month-old that has been good the whole time is growing frustrated by this stage, only to be told by the operator, sorry my shift has ended.'

'Me thinking, ‘OK someone else will come and take over.’ A few minutes pass and another operator comes to tell me [that] I will have to move all of my shopping back into the trolley and line up two checkouts up!'

The dad, who wished to remain anonymous, was understandably furious. 'I left the trolley-load of shopping, including a lot of meats, there and walked out,' he said.

He also added that he reached out to the store later that day to file a complaint and was able to speak to the store's assistant manager, describing his feeling as 'disgusted is an understatement.'

E7pVeijys9aNR5n5K5v3c9SG5s9xKGsHdm87D4tuZUxXXCq8rPkr7uvQSdIaHenv24LQ_qpNy_cNlO_XD1p1wpzS3BLOU0f99oSE-P4JU1rRYs8ID-1h8Wp04aWJTY8dXaF-y_gVx7nv0kUCYJwtag

The shopper left his groceries after the altercation. Credit: 7News via Getty Images/Quinn Rooney.

The post has captured the attention of a Coles representative who penned an apology statement to the customer.

The spokesperson wrote: 'We’re disappointed to hear this, as we expect our team members to be helpful and courteous to our customers at all times, and we’re sorry this wasn’t your experience.'

'We’ve now passed this info onto our Store and Regional Managers to follow up with the team in question, and to remind them of our expectations.'

'We trust that you’ll notice an improvement moving forward and hope to see you back in store soon.'

While it's not clear what caused the mix-up, one thing is for sure: this dad is not going to be shopping at that Coles anytime soon.

Do you think the customer is in the right for getting upset over the checkout mishap? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
That happened to me at Aldi once. I wish that I had walked out! I haven't been back.

Reactions: Suzy88 and debjane

ivLJvlEGs3famYszSE5rHsoFdkBF1tgNsxDUi1jsQW6dt9jrg6XyRmVmyIGtNeUFW1wcxlPLK2Um-V75CQrjFrp2Q3ErqubocjhiMMKftBMQRhN6Xt7Lh5VcbQmmx_yvwbcRjaO5Zh7QNE33HJwCkw

A Coles shopper was left fuming after a staff member asked him to start queueing all over again because the employee’s shift is over. Credit: 7News via Getty Images/Ian Waldie.

He wrote: 'After lining up at the register like everyone else, third in queue, load all my shopping on the register belt, which is really loaded, but all there.'

E7pVeijys9aNR5n5K5v3c9SG5s9xKGsHdm87D4tuZUxXXCq8rPkr7uvQSdIaHenv24LQ_qpNy_cNlO_XD1p1wpzS3BLOU0f99oSE-P4JU1rRYs8ID-1h8Wp04aWJTY8dXaF-y_gVx7nv0kUCYJwtag

The shopper left his groceries after the altercation. Credit: 7News via Getty Images/Quinn Rooney.

To me, being outraged is an understatement. I would have caused merry hell and demanded that the store manzger get off his a... and serve me if he/she had no staff willing to do it. As for the staff member, that person's next appointment would be with Centrelink.

I think Coles etc no longer care too much what the customer thinks..we are a captive audience!!

I find this story hard to believe. If a shift ends or it’s time for a break, another operator takes over the register. If it really happened this way, why didn’t the man ask to speak to the manager at the time, instead of waiting till later in the day?
He probably needed to cool off a bit before dealing with it and his baby. As I said in my comment further down, I have actually seen this happen a couple of years ago, so it’s not hard to believe at all

Disgraceful response by the supermarket so the customer had every right to complain very strongly although I don't like social media being used for that purpose.

I’m A nurse do I walk out in the middle of your emergency because my shift was finished. No I don’t . This is management/ supervisor fault for not organising checkout cover to take over but the checkout operated should have passed the closed sign to the second in line before this man started to unload and said I’m sorry sir I’m closing

ive done this myself only adding when yo get back from your break, you can put these all back on the shelves,i'm with him all the way

I have had the same experience at Woolies so I don't find this hard to believe at all. What annoyed me at the time was that the checkout operator had her light on, showing that the checkout was an active one, she did not have a "Checkout closed" sign displayed, and worst of all, she actually watched me unload before she said anything. It was about 4.40 p.m. and I did not have a big load of shopping. She initially refused to put it through because she alleged she was off-duty at 5 o'clock and that she had to get home to her children. I said "So do I". We argued for a bit and she grudgingly put through my shopping. I also followed up with a complaint to management.

good on him they are all not helpful a lot of the young ones are lazy sorry to say good for him and having a baby with him would make it very difficult for him margie :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:(y)(y)(y):mad:

Reactions: relljube
I thought the rule was the last person who was to be served was given a sign saying closed.

If I stood in line then they closed it I would be upset.

I remember times when they had to close a register they actually opened another register and moved the people from the closed one to that one and in order

He was definitely right to be upset !! I’ve never been treated so shabbily! Obviously the staff member should have asked him to put up the closed sign after the end of his grocery items & served him before leaving his/her checkout. The mistake that he made (in my opinion) , was not firstly challenging the cashier as to why they hadn’t processed his items first, then leaving everything & walking out of the store. I would have insisted on speaking to the shop manager at that point & demanded an apology from the thoughtless cashier & for my groceries to be processed immediately, with a discount!!

Reactions: Defiant540

Yes hes right 100%.....staff at my local Coles would n ever do that