Coles shopper outraged after worker does this 'frustrating' thing - is he in the right?

We've all been there: standing in line at the grocery store, patiently waiting our turn, only to be told that our items need to be re-racked and we have to start all over again. It's a frustrating experience, to say the least.

But one Coles shopper's recent ordeal takes the cake, making the headlines after his experience with a staff member's 'frustrating' act has gone viral.

Airing his grievance on Facebook, the customer detailed his experience, claiming that after spending an hour walking around the store with his eight-month-old, he finally made it to the register - only to be told that the operator's shift had ended and he would have to start all over again.

844552b5718c918255a3f5d88e8906a4fa16832d

A Coles shopper was left fuming after a staff member asked him to start queueing all over again because the employee’s shift is over. Credit: Sydney Morning Herald/Carla Gottgens.

He wrote: 'After lining up at the register like everyone else, third in queue, I load all my shopping on the register belt, which is really loaded, but all there.'

'Eight-month-old that has been good the whole time is growing frustrated by this stage, only to be told by the operator, sorry my shift has ended.'

'Me thinking, ‘OK someone else will come and take over.’ A few minutes pass and another operator comes to tell me [that] I will have to move all of my shopping back into the trolley and line up two checkouts up!'

The dad, who wished to remain anonymous, was understandably furious. 'I left the trolley-load of shopping, including a lot of meats, there and walked out,' he said.

He also added that he reached out to the store later that day to file a complaint and was able to speak to the store's assistant manager, describing his feeling as 'disgusted is an understatement.'

The post has captured the attention of a Coles representative who penned an apology statement to the customer.

The spokesperson wrote: 'We’re disappointed to hear this, as we expect our team members to be helpful and courteous to our customers at all times, and we’re sorry this wasn’t your experience.'

'We’ve now passed this info onto our Store and Regional Managers to follow up with the team in question, and to remind them of our expectations.'

'We trust that you’ll notice an improvement moving forward and hope to see you back in store soon.'

While it's not clear what caused the mix-up, one thing is for sure: this dad is not going to be shopping at that Coles anytime soon.

Do you think the customer is in the right for getting upset over the checkout mishap? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I have found my local Coles to have NO customer service skills at all. Recently I purchases a number of reduced prepackaged fruit to feed my pet parrots. On reaching the checkout finally, the assistant challanged my purchase of the reduced price fruit. Her argument was based on the fact the best before date was that day and I could not possibly consume all of the fruit. I explained they were not for me but for my parrots. I also understood the price reduction was due to the date. After further debate she finally begrudgingly processed my purchase. On my return home I lodged a formal complaint on the website, after a number of days I received a reply informing me the staff member was following policy as Coles had a reputation for fresh fruit and vegetables to maintain. Have not been back to Coles again!

Yes, I think the poor man was well within his rights to walk out! I may seem prejudiced, but these days I try to find a checkout with a mature aged lady serving! They are almost always polite and pleasant, and they know how to pack your bags properly. I am fed up with young cashiers (young men seem to be the worst) who are rude and grumpy and throw your things into your bags. They put heavy items on top of things like bread, cleaning products in with meat, and don't pack all the cold items in your cold bags. I now often go through the self serve if I don't have too many things, at least I know how to pack a shopping bag!

I sympathise with the shopper. It is obvious the register should have been taken over by another staff member as we are all entitled to a rest break. I, personally, will not use the Self-Service check-outs as I do not get paid by the Supermarket to process my own groceries.

Reactions: BMKal
I sympathise with the shopper. It is obvious the register should have been taken over by another staff member as we are all entitled to a rest break. I, personally, will not use the Self-Service check-outs as I do not get paid by the Supermarket to process my own groceries.
You and me both. I have never used a self-service checkout and never will. I was recently told at a Bunnings store that I had to use the self-serve as they had no other check-outs in operation. I left my selected goods on the counter and walked out - up the road to Mitre 10.

The operator should have told them they were closing when he started loading his groceries on the belt not once he had finished loading. Coles in the wrong.

I can understand his frustration, as I was frustrated the other day having to line up behind a young man with a full trolley. He had so much that the band was full and he still had things in his trolley! Mind you: I had about 5 things! But he had already allowed one otherbperson in front and would never have made it out!
In this case they opened another check out and asked to put a sign up at the end of the band at that checkout, so,people came back to the firstnone once the big shop had all been checked through and paid for. I thought that was the usual way to deal with it...

We've all been there: standing in line at the grocery store, patiently waiting our turn, only to be told that our items need to be re-racked and we have to start all over again. It's a frustrating experience, to say the least.

But one Coles shopper's recent ordeal takes the cake, making the headlines after his experience with a staff member's 'frustrating' act has gone viral.

Airing his grievance on Facebook, the customer detailed his experience, claiming that after spending an hour walking around the store with his eight-month-old, he finally made it to the register - only to be told that the operator's shift had ended and he would have to start all over again.

ivLJvlEGs3famYszSE5rHsoFdkBF1tgNsxDUi1jsQW6dt9jrg6XyRmVmyIGtNeUFW1wcxlPLK2Um-V75CQrjFrp2Q3ErqubocjhiMMKftBMQRhN6Xt7Lh5VcbQmmx_yvwbcRjaO5Zh7QNE33HJwCkw

A Coles shopper was left fuming after a staff member asked him to start queueing all over again because the employee’s shift is over. Credit: 7News via Getty Images/Ian Waldie.

He wrote: 'After lining up at the register like everyone else, third in queue, load all my shopping on the register belt, which is really loaded, but all there.'

'Eight-month-old that has been good the whole time is growing frustrated by this stage, only to be told by the operator, sorry my shift has ended.'

'Me thinking, ‘OK someone else will come and take over.’ A few minutes pass and another operator comes to tell me [that] I will have to move all of my shopping back into the trolley and line up two checkouts up!'

The dad, who wished to remain anonymous, was understandably furious. 'I left the trolley-load of shopping, including a lot of meats, there and walked out,' he said.

He also added that he reached out to the store later that day to file a complaint and was able to speak to the store's assistant manager, describing his feeling as 'disgusted is an understatement.'

E7pVeijys9aNR5n5K5v3c9SG5s9xKGsHdm87D4tuZUxXXCq8rPkr7uvQSdIaHenv24LQ_qpNy_cNlO_XD1p1wpzS3BLOU0f99oSE-P4JU1rRYs8ID-1h8Wp04aWJTY8dXaF-y_gVx7nv0kUCYJwtag

The shopper left his groceries after the altercation. Credit: 7News via Getty Images/Quinn Rooney.

The post has captured the attention of a Coles representative who penned an apology statement to the customer.

The spokesperson wrote: 'We’re disappointed to hear this, as we expect our team members to be helpful and courteous to our customers at all times, and we’re sorry this wasn’t your experience.'

'We’ve now passed this info onto our Store and Regional Managers to follow up with the team in question, and to remind them of our expectations.'

'We trust that you’ll notice an improvement moving forward and hope to see you back in store soon.'

While it's not clear what caused the mix-up, one thing is for sure: this dad is not going to be shopping at that Coles anytime soon.

En
Do you think the customer is in the right for getting upset over the checkout mishap? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
I also have had bad experience with Coles & haven’t been back since!

I was at Tweed heads on Thursday and had 7 items .I went to the 12 items only checkout and a lady before me had a whole shopping trolley filled to the top and they were putting her through .Why have an express lane if they take all shoppers with trolleys full .It is a joke

To me, being outraged is an understatement. I would have caused merry hell and demanded that the store manzger get off his a... and serve me if he/she had no staff willing to do it. As for the staff member, that person's next appointment would be with Centrelink.
Yes its poor form by the staff member, BUT, the supermarkets only employ the "team members" for single shifts so as not to have to pay them meal/rest breaks. To me its a double with both the Supermarket and also the team member being at fault