Coles shopper allegedly gets scolded by employee for scanning groceries ‘in the wrong order’!

Stuck in a seemingly endless queue, hoping to pay for groceries and be on your way—it’s a situation that would make anyone frustrated.

But for one Melbourne shopper, their recent grocery purchase resulted in something far worse than mere annoyance.

Sharing on social media, the shopper revealed he had been scolded by a ‘power tripping’ Coles staff member while trying to use the self-serve checkout. Why? The customer had apparently committed a mistake.

'Self-checkout at Coles Karingal,' the customer wrote. 'Just got told off by a staff member that I was scanning my items in the wrong order.’

‘There is no sign saying what order, and the only reason she could give was so I wasn’t stealing. How does the order help with that?’

‘Feel free to have normal checkouts with people if you have a certain order!'

Screenshot 2023-12-05 094026.png
The Coles staff scolded a shopper as the heavy items of his purchase should be scanned first. Image: Reddit

According to the customer, he was told off for failing to put his heavy items through first.

When asked to elaborate, he responded: 'Weight apparently. I was meant to do my soda water cans first.'

‘Why are customers at self-service checkouts being asked to scan items in a particular order?’ asked by a shopper in another post.

He clarifies that there was no signage or advice on the correct order to scan items.

The customer’s story led to a huge outcry online, with several other shoppers saying they’d never heard of a correct order to scan groceries.

'I would have well and truly mounted my high horse,' said one.

Another responded: ‘How does one scan things in the wrong order?’

‘Never heard of that!’ one wrote.

Another joked: 'Did you not do the self-check out course online so that you know what order to scan them in?'

One expressed: ‘Should have just left the whole lot there and walked out.’

When asked to comment, a Coles spokesperson told a news source that checkout staff are always on hand to assist customers with 'bulky or heavy' products.

'Coles is always looking for ways to improve how we serve our customers and provide exceptional customer service,' they said.

'Our team members are always encouraged to help our customers where possible.’

‘Where a customer has certain items, this may include bulky or heavy items, our team will attempt to assist them in scanning the items when checking out.’

‘This is all about providing great service to our customers and helping them get through the checkouts quickly and efficiently.'

Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne shopper claims he was reprimanded by a Coles worker for scanning his groceries 'in the wrong order'.
  • The customer addressed his concerns on social media about the lack of clear guidance on scanning orders at self-checkout aisles.
  • Coles responded by stating that their checkout staff were there to assist customers with 'bulky or heavy' products.
  • This incident prompted surprise and confusion from several social media users who were unaware there was a 'correct order' to scan groceries.

What do you think of this shopper’s experience? Have you ever undergone something similar? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Stuck in a seemingly endless queue, hoping to pay for groceries and be on your way—it’s a situation that would make anyone frustrated.

But for one Melbourne shopper, their recent grocery purchase resulted in something far worse than mere annoyance.

Sharing on social media, the shopper revealed he had been scolded by a ‘power tripping’ Coles staff member while trying to use the self-serve checkout. Why? The customer had apparently committed a mistake.

'Self-checkout at Coles Karingal,' the customer wrote. 'Just got told off by a staff member that I was scanning my items in the wrong order.’

‘There is no sign saying what order, and the only reason she could give was so I wasn’t stealing. How does the order help with that?’

View attachment 36646
The Coles staff scolded a shopper as the heavy items of his purchase should be scanned first. Image: Reddit

According to the customer, he was told off for failing to put his heavy items through first.

When asked to elaborate, he responded: 'Weight apparently. I was meant to do my soda water cans first.'

‘Why are customers at self-service checkouts being asked to scan items in a particular order?’ asked by a shopper in another post.

He clarifies that there was no signage or advice on the correct order to scan items.

The customer’s story led to a huge outcry online, with several other shoppers saying they’d never heard of a correct order to scan groceries.

Another joked: 'Did you not do the self-check out course online so that you know what order to scan them in?'

When asked to comment, a Coles spokesperson told a news source that checkout staff are always on hand to assist customers with 'bulky or heavy' products.

'Coles is always looking for ways to improve how we serve our customers and provide exceptional customer service,' they said.

‘Where a customer has certain items, this may include bulky or heavy items, our team will attempt to assist them in scanning the items when checking out.’

‘This is all about providing great service to our customers and helping them get through the checkouts quickly and efficiently.'

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne shopper claims he was reprimanded by a Coles worker for scanning his groceries 'in the wrong order'.
  • The customer addressed his concerns on social media about the lack of clear guidance on scanning orders at self-checkout aisles.
  • Coles responded by stating that their checkout staff were there to assist customers with 'bulky or heavy' products.
  • This incident prompted surprise and confusion from several social media users who were unaware there was a 'correct order' to scan groceries.

What do you think of this shopper’s experience? Have you ever undergone something similar? Let us know in the comments below!
heavy items on the bottom, lighter items on the top, staff may have been doing a "Mother/Wife" so you don't get your ears bashed when you get back home

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

I do not like having to use self serve. Thank goodness in Mackay, there is still a couple of supermarkets who have check outs and also fast checkout. We pay enough for our Groceries, yet have to do all the scanning, packing ourselves???? We should get a discount if going through Self Serve. And, I don`t believe that Staff are not being put off.

I shop as infrequently as possible as seeing a row of checkouts with say only two open, really frustrates me. Why build so many but not use them? If there are lines and my load isn’t big, I use the self checkout. Being a little old lady with grey hair, I smile sweetly at the supervising employee and quietly say, ”I need some help please.” My items are scanned for me and I’m out of the shop in shorter time than if I’d stood in a queue.

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

These supermarkets put these bullshit self-serve checkouts in and then tell you your doing it wrong 🤬I would have given them a server and walked out these self-serve checkouts are costing job's and why should you pack your own groceries you don't get a discount or any reward for it but cut job's so they can make profits higher stick self-serve up your arse 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

I like the one where a shopper was scanning their goods (to save Coles doing it) and occasionally picked up things in the left hand - passed to the right hand (bypassing the scanner) and placing the item/s in the shopping bag. Then, when repeatedly being approached by the “observer/assistant“ saying “your‘re not scanning the items correctly”…
The shoppers‘ response; “Oh dear, that happens a lot - because I’ve never had any training on how to scan stuff for Coles”… Love it…

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

I think it’s disgusting. It’s bad enough we are being forced into doing our own scanning. But to then be told we are not doing it right is an outrage. Who decided we should have to scan our own items of shopping. Did we ask? I can never remember being asked if I wanted to put my own shopping through the checkout. Where is costume service? I am lucky, most days I have the time to stand in a line to be served. Customer service .? What is that ????

I shop as infrequently as possible as seeing a row of checkouts with say only two open, really frustrates me. Why build so many but not use them? If there are lines and my load isn’t big, I use the self checkout. Being a little old lady with grey hair, I smile sweetly at the supervising employee and quietly say, ”I need some help please.” My items are scanned for me and I’m out of the shop in shorter time than if I’d stood in a queue.
They don't want to pay staff. That's the one and only reason for self serve.

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

As I haven't as yet paid any monies out, I just walk away, I'm retired I really do have a lot of time on my hands?.

Reactions: Rosalie30

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

I would have just left the lot there and walked out

The supermarkets wonder why there has been a stark increase in abuse by staff by disgruntled customers! This is a case where staff are trying to exert undue and unwarranted authority over the customer. All due to some imaginary "rule" concocted by the staff member themselves. Lucky I wasn't the customer. The outcome would have been immensely worse for the staff member.

And yes....I still have a dose of the shits after last week.

That is absolutely ridiculous 🙄 there is no such rule. I would have reported thus worker.

Although common sense says to pack the heavier items first.
Even if I'm using a manned checkout I place all the heavy items on first . I have always done this. Like my bread and eggs go on last
Of course, it's plain common sense to scan the heavier items first, and then the eggs, bread, fruit etc last, but I've never heard that it's a rule.
I only use manned checkouts but have always done this.