Coles shopper allegedly gets scolded by employee for scanning groceries ‘in the wrong order’!

Stuck in a seemingly endless queue, hoping to pay for groceries and be on your way—it’s a situation that would make anyone frustrated.

But for one Melbourne shopper, their recent grocery purchase resulted in something far worse than mere annoyance.

Sharing on social media, the shopper revealed he had been scolded by a ‘power tripping’ Coles staff member while trying to use the self-serve checkout. Why? The customer had apparently committed a mistake.

'Self-checkout at Coles Karingal,' the customer wrote. 'Just got told off by a staff member that I was scanning my items in the wrong order.’

‘There is no sign saying what order, and the only reason she could give was so I wasn’t stealing. How does the order help with that?’

‘Feel free to have normal checkouts with people if you have a certain order!'

Screenshot 2023-12-05 094026.png
The Coles staff scolded a shopper as the heavy items of his purchase should be scanned first. Image: Reddit

According to the customer, he was told off for failing to put his heavy items through first.

When asked to elaborate, he responded: 'Weight apparently. I was meant to do my soda water cans first.'

‘Why are customers at self-service checkouts being asked to scan items in a particular order?’ asked by a shopper in another post.

He clarifies that there was no signage or advice on the correct order to scan items.

The customer’s story led to a huge outcry online, with several other shoppers saying they’d never heard of a correct order to scan groceries.

'I would have well and truly mounted my high horse,' said one.

Another responded: ‘How does one scan things in the wrong order?’

‘Never heard of that!’ one wrote.

Another joked: 'Did you not do the self-check out course online so that you know what order to scan them in?'

One expressed: ‘Should have just left the whole lot there and walked out.’

When asked to comment, a Coles spokesperson told a news source that checkout staff are always on hand to assist customers with 'bulky or heavy' products.

'Coles is always looking for ways to improve how we serve our customers and provide exceptional customer service,' they said.

'Our team members are always encouraged to help our customers where possible.’

‘Where a customer has certain items, this may include bulky or heavy items, our team will attempt to assist them in scanning the items when checking out.’

‘This is all about providing great service to our customers and helping them get through the checkouts quickly and efficiently.'

Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne shopper claims he was reprimanded by a Coles worker for scanning his groceries 'in the wrong order'.
  • The customer addressed his concerns on social media about the lack of clear guidance on scanning orders at self-checkout aisles.
  • Coles responded by stating that their checkout staff were there to assist customers with 'bulky or heavy' products.
  • This incident prompted surprise and confusion from several social media users who were unaware there was a 'correct order' to scan groceries.

What do you think of this shopper’s experience? Have you ever undergone something similar? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Stuck in a seemingly endless queue, hoping to pay for groceries and be on your way—it’s a situation that would make anyone frustrated.

But for one Melbourne shopper, their recent grocery purchase resulted in something far worse than mere annoyance.

Sharing on social media, the shopper revealed he had been scolded by a ‘power tripping’ Coles staff member while trying to use the self-serve checkout. Why? The customer had apparently committed a mistake.

'Self-checkout at Coles Karingal,' the customer wrote. 'Just got told off by a staff member that I was scanning my items in the wrong order.’

‘There is no sign saying what order, and the only reason she could give was so I wasn’t stealing. How does the order help with that?’

View attachment 36646
The Coles staff scolded a shopper as the heavy items of his purchase should be scanned first. Image: Reddit

According to the customer, he was told off for failing to put his heavy items through first.

When asked to elaborate, he responded: 'Weight apparently. I was meant to do my soda water cans first.'

‘Why are customers at self-service checkouts being asked to scan items in a particular order?’ asked by a shopper in another post.

He clarifies that there was no signage or advice on the correct order to scan items.

The customer’s story led to a huge outcry online, with several other shoppers saying they’d never heard of a correct order to scan groceries.

Another joked: 'Did you not do the self-check out course online so that you know what order to scan them in?'

When asked to comment, a Coles spokesperson told a news source that checkout staff are always on hand to assist customers with 'bulky or heavy' products.

'Coles is always looking for ways to improve how we serve our customers and provide exceptional customer service,' they said.

‘Where a customer has certain items, this may include bulky or heavy items, our team will attempt to assist them in scanning the items when checking out.’

‘This is all about providing great service to our customers and helping them get through the checkouts quickly and efficiently.'

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne shopper claims he was reprimanded by a Coles worker for scanning his groceries 'in the wrong order'.
  • The customer addressed his concerns on social media about the lack of clear guidance on scanning orders at self-checkout aisles.
  • Coles responded by stating that their checkout staff were there to assist customers with 'bulky or heavy' products.
  • This incident prompted surprise and confusion from several social media users who were unaware there was a 'correct order' to scan groceries.

What do you think of this shopper’s experience? Have you ever undergone something similar? Let us know in the comments below!
It is blatantly obviously that we should "ALWAYS" scan our heavy items first, so as to avoid squashing the softer items when bagging. However, it is "NOT" up to Coles to tell us in which order to scan our items !!

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

Eff Coles, the staff at our 3 local Coles stores always seem to be angry, never smile and look like they've just sucked a lemon skin. I don't like any supermarkets but Woollies staff at least smile.

Sounds like a made up BS story. Just another social media post by someone that was looking for some response and making their site look like it has some relevance. No one is going to tell you how to process in any particular order on a self serve checkout. Many of the comments being posted on this article are evidence the kangaroo court is still alive and kicking.
sorry but it is TRUE

These supermarkets put these bullshit self-serve checkouts in and then tell you your doing it wrong 🤬I would have given them a server and walked out these self-serve checkouts are costing job's and why should you pack your own groceries you don't get a discount or any reward for it but cut job's so they can make profits higher stick self-serve up your arse 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Should never have been installed. You are right it means the loss of jobs and I will NEVER use them, ever.
They should give a good discount for using them but NO they want better profits.

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

If using a self serve checkout, there should be no order as we are doing the job for them (the checkout chicks). Coles should be ashamed of this. Coles can reduce hiring people because we use the self serve checkout and we don’t get any discount for doing this.

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

Absolutely ridiculous never heard of such stupidity

Woolies Saturday 12.15pm - 1 register open, a long queue and 8 busy self-serve options. Luckily I had roughly 15 items so went through the express lane. Mind you, I let a couple if people with only 2 items ahead of me. So fed up with supermarkets. Actually, Aldi probably have it right. 😳

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

I think the customer should have immediately taken his goods to a regular manned checkout. I won't use the self-checkout area until they pay me a wage for putting my own goods through. The whole self-checkout thing is a way the big stores can make more profit by not paying staff.

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

Just another reason why none of us should use the Supermarkets money gouging self serve check-out registers. It may take a minute longer, but go to the register manned by a live person.

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

SHOULD DO AWAY WITH SELF SERVICE AND PUT REAL PEOPLE THERE WE PAY IN THE COST OF ITEMS ANYWAY

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

Same happened to me ages ago,I leave my Pepsi till last and put it on the seat section ,I was told half way through my shopping.Have you scanned your box of pepsi? I said no I leave it to last and then she said no you need to scan it first .Why,if I don't scam it won't the gates of hell stay closed and all the lights and sirens start beeping and wheels locking?????

• Haha
Reactions: Milica

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

I would have left the whole lot there at the self checkout and walked out, after telling the Coles worker where she could put her advice. Shop at ALDI , I am sick of the bad service and price gouging that is occuring at both Coles and Woolworths. jay2

Or just being a nosey interfering bastard. 😉
Who do they think they are - is it not enough that we are on camera whilst we are putting our
shopping thru right there at the checkout - you say it's because of stealing! and as far as bagging, get real - we are paying for the goods - we can bag them any way we like! policing us while we shop - i can't wait for coles and woollies to be investigated beginning of the year for their large profit margins, not considering that people can't even purchase items for everyday living - again, just who do they think they are! cameras, some stores have automatic gates where i assume you can't get out if there is an item that has not been scanned - it's disgusting how customers are treated now - paint everyone with the same brush and as for the ego centred power controlling new workers they are rolling in - guess what you do not have the authority or power to tell us how to do our shopping - stick that in the order you think it should go in!

View attachment 36646

Key Takeaways

I refuse to use those self serve checkouts for this reason - I would be doing the work that staff should be doing - so I would expect staff discounts for doing their job. Somehow, I get that feeling that the store would not agree.

They don't want to pay staff. That's the one and only reason for self serve.
They may not want to pay the extra wages to staff, but those scanners at the self serve are not cheap. Keeping staff is always the better option and it would eliminate theft that would keep happening in the self serve.

Of course, it's plain common sense to scan the heavier items first, and then the eggs, bread, fruit etc last, but I've never heard that it's a rule.
I only use manned checkouts but have always done this.
If you say it is plain common sense to scan heavier items first, then why don't the checkout "chicks" do it when you get their service. It is just a personal way of doing it, nothing to do with rules or regulations.

If you say it is plain common sense to scan heavier items first, then why don't the checkout "chicks" do it when you get their service. It is just a personal way of doing it, nothing to do with rules or regulations.
Well I guess the checkout girls
scan the goods in the order they are placed on the bench. I make sure I place the heavy items first as I shop at Aldi, so the heavy things are in the bottom of the trolley. I then put them on the packing bench and pack the bags with the heavy things on the bottom. Person's preference yes, but at least my eggs, bread, etc aren't squashed.
As you said nothing to do with rules and regulations.

Who do they think they are - is it not enough that we are on camera whilst we are putting our
shopping thru right there at the checkout - you say it's because of stealing! and as far as bagging, get real - we are paying for the goods - we can bag them any way we like! policing us while we shop - i can't wait for coles and woollies to be investigated beginning of the year for their large profit margins, not considering that people can't even purchase items for everyday living - again, just who do they think they are! cameras, some stores have automatic gates where i assume you can't get out if there is an item that has not been scanned - it's disgusting how customers are treated now - paint everyone with the same brush and as for the ego centred power controlling new workers they are rolling in - guess what you do not have the authority or power to tell us how to do our shopping - stick that in the order you think it should go in!
Giddy up could not have said it better