Coles' new BYO container program – what you need to know

Coles seems to be leading the pack when it comes to efforts to reduce packaging waste in grocery stores!

The supermarket giant revealed last week that it would gradually phase out single-use plastic bags from its produce section. Customers will instead receive a free 3-pack of reusable mesh fresh produce bags made of 90% recyclable materials to hold their fruit and veggies (select stores only).

And now they're after the single-use plastic bags in the deli!

Coles now encourages customers to bring their own reusable containers when purchasing deli items in an effort to cut down on unnecessary packaging.

d608REByn0NRZEtY6KZacso_O7msTQxTGG_Iz_Ac5u9NuiL090-EHIDephX1mLR-fmmqSCS8J4aq2BrgLK2MgmX7rw6iQ8h7q2hojPaBo-VZoU8Q6AQcD_jWYu_RDXddyGCYFTtoTMwBVToDMNsUUIJIrf97inQtuPxBtxAmV2dY56I9vkTJJEBbPg

Coles will try out the plan in eight South Australian stores. Credit: Janie Barrett.

Customer participation in the trial of BYO (bring-your-own) containers will be entirely voluntary and will begin in South Australia.

Even if a consumer forgets to bring a container, the store can still wrap and scan their deli products at the register.

Here is a full list of the eight stores in South Australia that are part of the trial.
  • Firle
  • Unley
  • Bridgewater
  • Blackwood
  • St Peters
  • Burnside
  • Mount Barker
  • Murray Bridge

However, despite how appealing the idea of this initiative may be, it is subject to its own set of rules and conditions.

Customers must bring their own containers, which must be 'intact,' clean, and with a resealable cover. Glass or ceramic materials are also not accepted.

These containers are also prohibited for use with self-serve cheese items, BBQ products, frozen prawns, deli salads, and hot meals.

If you meet the requirements, all you have to do is hand your container to a Coles deli worker, who will weigh it and fill it with the cold cuts or other deli goods you want.

3vbX9mQR5YBlH-lDlZzo5r6zOsSCpF8BH0mXXQhz-OOJr9u4NUzs7kSkDGirIwaCD5TBiCblTGOgBaDfcXXnPjkhBEUIKGVP2zXCEen7h7amLhhFjv_fAdYn0-AOjfsSLYpnCXI4Fa6qknnuzb8FQky1SIZ90iB5_W2Pr4mqZutqYtCsLM-X60PQ3w

Coles recently released reusable mesh bags for fresh produce. Credit: Facebook.

Andy Mossop, General Manager of bakery, deli, and seafood at Coles stated that the trial's goal was to determine how best to balance the impact on the environment with the need to maintain high food safety standards.

'As part of our Together to Zero Waste ambition, Coles is always looking for ways to reduce reliance on unnecessary packaging while giving customers sustainable options to help them complete their shop,' he said.

'We are trialling bring-your-own containers at a handful of Coles supermarket delis in South Australia to understand how best to provide this option to customers while continuing to meet stringent food safety standards.'

The store representative also mentioned that they would be keeping a sharp eye on how shoppers in South Australia responded to the trial.

Whether or if they decide to expand this to more stores in South Australia or elsewhere in Australia will depend on the comments and feedback they receive from the customers.

jBOTx4ZeZkqnEF6P-IyeVn6pg5lUqEN5OSjFAujtj6ZQ3lypIXKGE0XnRs6XCWlFZwiuyPcgWQILPg-Lfp9EKFKQmw4vIPjFomyxhCJ66WHaWA7e6TqwrsfaXFqZgNqbQMnXdRBEHRpVXY-nAArolMzQoG6_OZNZwom9cidBiCV9DFBBmuEYYXN5Vg

Shoppers were confused with one of the container requirements. Credit: Coles.

While the introduction of the plastic-free campaign has gone off without a hitch, several customers have expressed confusion over a particular requirement for the container.

Since glass and ceramic containers are not allowed, customers would have to bring their own plastic containers.

Yes, plastic—the one material they had hoped to avoid.

Since single-use bags and plastic tableware are now prohibited, some shoppers were confused by the sustainability project's reliance on plastic containers.

'Shame there's no glass containers allowed, but still a good move,' one person wrote in a comment, with another adding, 'I only have glass, so it's completely useless for me.'

Meanwhile, a third user said this only adds to the number of 'crap' they have to take to the store.

Glass and ceramic containers couldn't be used due to the possibility that they may break and injure someone, a Coles representative informed online news outlets.

People responded, though, that they were worried that shoppers would bring in 'dirty' containers and cross-contaminate the deli goods.

'As much as I love the reusable option. I have fears about this. People will be bringing in manky containers that have sat in their cars for two days to refill,' one person wrote, with another asking, 'How does this cover them for food poisoning?'

What do you think, folks? Do you have the same worries as these shoppers? Or do you think this is something that should be done in every supermarket? Please share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
Coles seems to be leading the pack when it comes to efforts to reduce packaging waste in grocery stores!

The supermarket giant revealed last week that it would gradually phase out single-use plastic bags from its produce section. Customers will instead receive a free 3-pack of reusable mesh fresh produce bags made of 90% recyclable materials to hold their fruit and veggies (select stores only).

Coles now encourages customers to bring their own reusable containers when purchasing deli items in an effort to cut down on unnecessary packaging.

d608REByn0NRZEtY6KZacso_O7msTQxTGG_Iz_Ac5u9NuiL090-EHIDephX1mLR-fmmqSCS8J4aq2BrgLK2MgmX7rw6iQ8h7q2hojPaBo-VZoU8Q6AQcD_jWYu_RDXddyGCYFTtoTMwBVToDMNsUUIJIrf97inQtuPxBtxAmV2dY56I9vkTJJEBbPg

Coles will try out the plan in eight South Australian stores. Credit: Janie Barrett.

Customer participation in the trial of BYO (bring-your-own) containers will be entirely voluntary and will begin in South Australia.

Even if a consumer forgets to bring a container, the store can still wrap and scan their deli products at the register.

Here is a full list of the eight stores in South Australia that are part of the trial.
  • Firle
  • Unley
  • Bridgewater
  • Blackwood
  • St Peters
  • Burnside
  • Mount Barker
  • Murray Bridge

However, despite how appealing the idea of this initiative may be, it is subject to its own set of rules and conditions.

Customers must bring their own containers, which must be 'intact,' clean, and with a resealable cover. Glass or ceramic materials are also not accepted.

These containers are also prohibited for use with self-serve cheese items, BBQ products, frozen prawns, deli salads, and hot meals.

If you meet the requirements, all you have to do is hand your container to a Coles deli worker, who will weigh it and fill it with the cold cuts or other deli goods you want.

3vbX9mQR5YBlH-lDlZzo5r6zOsSCpF8BH0mXXQhz-OOJr9u4NUzs7kSkDGirIwaCD5TBiCblTGOgBaDfcXXnPjkhBEUIKGVP2zXCEen7h7amLhhFjv_fAdYn0-AOjfsSLYpnCXI4Fa6qknnuzb8FQky1SIZ90iB5_W2Pr4mqZutqYtCsLM-X60PQ3w

Andy Mossop, General Manager of bakery, deli, and seafood at Coles stated that the trial's goal was to determine how best to balance the impact on the environment with the need to maintain high food safety standards.

'As part of our Together to Zero Waste ambition, Coles is always looking for ways to reduce reliance on unnecessary packaging while giving customers sustainable options to help them complete their shop,' he said.

'We are trialling bring-your-own containers at a handful of Coles supermarket delis in South Australia to understand how best to provide this option to customers while continuing to meet stringent food safety standards.'

The store representative also mentioned that they would be keeping a sharp eye on how shoppers in South Australia responded to the trial.

Whether or if they decide to expand this to more stores in South Australia or elsewhere in Australia will depend on the comments and feedback they receive from the customers.

jBOTx4ZeZkqnEF6P-IyeVn6pg5lUqEN5OSjFAujtj6ZQ3lypIXKGE0XnRs6XCWlFZwiuyPcgWQILPg-Lfp9EKFKQmw4vIPjFomyxhCJ66WHaWA7e6TqwrsfaXFqZgNqbQMnXdRBEHRpVXY-nAArolMzQoG6_OZNZwom9cidBiCV9DFBBmuEYYXN5Vg

While the introduction of the plastic-free campaign has gone off without a hitch, several customers have expressed confusion over a particular requirement for the container.

Since glass and ceramic containers are not allowed, customers would have to bring their own plastic containers.

Since single-use bags and plastic tableware are now prohibited, some shoppers were confused by the sustainability project's reliance on plastic containers.

'Shame there's no glass containers allowed, but still a good move,' one person wrote in a comment, with another adding, 'I only have glass, so it's completely useless for me.'

Meanwhile, a third user said this only adds to the number of 'crap' they have to take to the store.

Glass and ceramic containers couldn't be used due to the possibility that they may break and injure someone, a Coles representative informed online news outlets.

People responded, though, that they were worried that shoppers would bring in 'dirty' containers and cross-contaminate the deli goods.

'As much as I love the reusable option. I have fears about this. People will be bringing in manky containers that have sat in their cars for two days to refill,' one person wrote, with another asking, 'How does this cover them for food poisoning?'

What do you think, folks? Do you have the same worries as these shoppers? Or do you think this is something that should be done in every supermarket? Please share your thoughts in the comments!
Ridiculouswhy can't we use paper similar to butchers paper we grew up with but in a more eco friendly version. Who is going to take all that nonsense to the supermarketv.do we have time ? I won't be that's for sure. If containers are not absolutely clean they will contaminate the cold meats etc...

Deli's don't use plastic bags , they wrap in paper except olives and salads go in plastic containers.

If I took in containers it would be new disposable plastic containers but half the time I forget my bags how will I remember these containers.

I can see alot of cross contamination happening here.

How many people decide on the spare of the moment while in store that they want deli items

What about on line shoppers ?

Too many changes for my likening

• Firle
  • Unley
  • Bridgewater
  • Blackwood
  • St Peters
  • Burnside
  • Mount Barker
  • Murray Bridge

The world has gone mad and it is onby going to get worse. Why phase out plastic bags in favour of plastic containers

Deli's don't use plastic bags , they wrap in paper except olives and salads go in plastic containers.

If I took in containers it would be new disposable plastic containers but half the time I forget my bags how will I remember these containers.

I can see alot of cross contamination happening here.

How many people decide on the spare of the moment while in store that they want deli items

What about on line shoppers ?

Too many changes for my likening
They actually put in plastic bag then wrap in paper

• Firle
  • Unley
  • Bridgewater
  • Blackwood
  • St Peters
  • Burnside
  • Mount Barker
  • Murray Bridge

Maybe I should just move my kitchen from the house to my car so that I have all the utensils I will need to buy what I need for the next fortnight. This is so ridiculous. As a senior I do not need to have the extra weight (even though it is small on each item) added to what I have to carry from the car to the house. Nor do I want to have to refrain from a quick shop when I go to town for some other reason (e.g Dr visit) & think I would like something special for my lunch & don't have a plastic container to put it in.

I think it’s great. Well done Coles. We might have to bring in a plastic container, but we’d be saving 100’s of 1000’s, if not millions of plastic bags going to land fill every year. There’s no cross contamination as they pick up the product as usual and put it directly into yours. The responsibility of food poisoning is still on the customer using and storing their purchase, same as it is now. Hope they roll it out everywhere.

I think it’s great. Well done Coles. We might have to bring in a plastic container, but we’d be saving 100’s of 1000’s, if not millions of plastic bags going to land fill every year. There’s no cross contamination as they pick up the product as usual and put it directly into yours. The responsibility of food poisoning is still on the customer using and storing their purchase, same as it is now. Hope they roll it out everywhere.

Sounds nice in theory but I would be concerned about cross-contamination if my clean container is placed on scales previously occupied by someone else's container which might appear to be clean but actually isn't. You can't see those bacteria and viruses with the naked eye.

• Firle
  • Unley
  • Bridgewater
  • Blackwood
  • St Peters
  • Burnside
  • Mount Barker
  • Murray Bridge

Look nothing to do with this story but is there any chance that you can stop running that horrific ad (above) for the stop age spots! Seriously it’s just revolting & ridiculous…even if an age spot remover (non subscription) Cream like that did work… which it wouldn’t anyway!!!! , that woman’s skin is way beyond help!!

Reactions: debjane
Sounds nice in theory but I would be concerned about cross-contamination if my clean container is placed on scales previously occupied by someone else's container which might appear to be clean but actually isn't. You can't see those bacteria and viruses with the naked eye.
I'm thinking as soon as I get home, my food would come out of that container into a clean one, and the one which had an outing would be washed.

Reactions: Ezzy
I'm thinking as soon as I get home, my food would come out of that container into a clean one, and the one which had an outing would be washed.
But what has your original container come into contact with, and cross-contaminated, in the meantime?

Yes, most food at a deli is in plastic bags and then In paper. Imagine buying ham or chicken or any meat that's just in paper. It'd leak out over everything before you even left the store.

They put their hands inside a plasti c bag to pick up deli goods so they would still have to throw away a plastic bag for every product purchased. Other alternative is to use plastic/rubber gloves which must be changed for each product to avoid cross-contamination. Won't save any plastic going to land fill - or recycling if the store is conscientious.

I don’t think viruses or bacteria that ‘might’ be on the scale could jump off the scale & into your container to affect your food !!!🤣🤣🤣

I think the point is being missed that it has nothing to do with getting rid of plastic. The point is that Coles is looking for yet another way to save money for their greedy shareholders. Yes the issue of cross contamination is a big one as is the need to have to cowtow to the supermarket giant and what THEY want. Simple answer - don't shop at Coles. They will eventually get the message that we the consumer are not mugs and we are not prepared to put up with their nonsense any more.

• Firle
  • Unley
  • Bridgewater
  • Blackwood
  • St Peters
  • Burnside
  • Mount Barker
  • Murray Bridge

Well, I rarely buy anything from Deli but this is the nail in the coffin for me. They want you to use self serve ;now they want you to take your own containers; just imagine the not so clean containers that people will bring, the fights that will erupt when the assistant says it is not clean.....heaven forbid. Some buys are inpulse and if you dont have a container no sale. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen.

Reactions: Ezzy and relljube
The waste/plastic free movement is big in Australia and has been wanting this for ages.
Previously, I read supermarkets rejected this concept due to health and safety reasons.
Interesting, that they are now trialling it.

Reactions: Ezzy and rehandra