Coles' major update is set to change your shopping experience

If you’re a regular Coles shopper, your trip to your local branch may be set to look a little different, with the supermarket giant confirming a major change coming to select stores nationwide.

Coles has revealed that new stores will install glass doors on chilled sections like meat, cheese and milk. While this may take some adjusting for shoppers, Coles insists the change will be positive for both customers and the environment.

So, what exactly is behind this new initiative? A Coles spokesperson explained that adding doors to fridges helps significantly reduce energy consumption by over 20 per cent.

This is because the doors form a seal, constantly preventing cool air from escaping whenever a customer grabs an item.

Supermarkets use vast amounts of electricity to run the many fridges needed to keep food fresh and safe, so this update will help Coles achieve its sustainability goals.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 1.14.05 PM.png
A Coles shopper shared this image of the new chilled section glass doors on social media. Credit: Reddit.

In the photographs, you can see that entire walls of glass doors have been added in front of shelves. Shoppers now need to open these doors to access items like yogurt, butter, and other chilled products.

The only section that won't have doors is the one containing fresh produce such as fruits and vegetables.

Early feedback on social media shows many customers support the change, recognising the environmental benefits.

In a previous article, member @Trudi commented: 'Having glass doors on chilled sections means less electricity is used to keep things cold. So it's a good thing.'

Member @Marj53 also suggested, 'Could be a good idea if they have a staff member standing there to help people who can't reach things on a higher shelf.'

However, some wonder if the doors could become annoying when doing big shops, having to open and close them frequently.

Concerns were also raised for people with disabilities or mobility issues.

According to member @Margaret 9, shopping behind glass doors was 'extremely difficult' for them. They said: 'I use a mobility scooter when shopping. It is the only way I can get around the stores.'

'It's hard enough when I have to get products from high or very low shelves; I have to find a customer service person to assist me,' they added.

This move from Coles comes after it was reported that Woolworths and ALDI would place glass doors on their chilled aisles to reduce their energy footprint.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has confirmed a major change in its new stores where it will install glass doors on its refrigerated aisles.
  • Adding doors on fridges is expected to cut refrigeration energy consumption by over 20 per cent.
  • The move is part of Coles' sustainability plans and has met some positive responses from shoppers. However, concerns were also raised.
  • This change comes after similar trials and plans announced by Woolworths and ALDI earlier this year to reduce their energy footprints.

Members, what are your thoughts on these changes? Do you think having glass doors in supermarket chilled aisles would be a hindrance? Or is it a good step towards being more environmentally friendly? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
As far as I know they haven’t mentioned making the shelves higher, just adding doors the same as the frozen section has. So the people who have difficulty in reaching the top shelves in the store will continue to have the same difficulty and use the same solutions as they do now. The only thing I hope they look into is the glass fogging up when the doors are continually opened and you can’t see any products. Perhaps they’ll have fogless glass.

Reactions: DLHM
If you’re a regular Coles shopper, your trip to your local branch may be set to look a little different, with the supermarket giant confirming a major change coming to select stores nationwide.

Coles has revealed that new stores will install glass doors on chilled sections like meat, cheese and milk. While this may take some adjusting for shoppers, Coles insists the change will be positive for both customers and the environment.

So, what exactly is behind this new initiative? A Coles spokesperson explained that adding doors to fridges helps significantly reduce energy consumption by over 20 per cent.

This is because the doors form a seal, constantly preventing cool air from escaping whenever a customer grabs an item.

Supermarkets use vast amounts of electricity to run the many fridges needed to keep food fresh and safe, so this update will help Coles achieve its sustainability goals.

View attachment 32646
A Coles shopper shared this image of the new chilled section glass doors on social media. Credit: Reddit.

In the photographs, you can see that entire walls of glass doors have been added in front of shelves. Shoppers now need to open these doors to access items like yogurt, butter, and other chilled products.

The only section that won't have doors is the one containing fresh produce such as fruits and vegetables.

Early feedback on social media shows many customers support the change, recognising the environmental benefits.

In a previous article, member @Trudi commented: 'Having glass doors on chilled sections means less electricity is used to keep things cold. So it's a good thing.'

Member @Marj53 also suggested, 'Could be a good idea if they have a staff member standing there to help people who can't reach things on a higher shelf.'

However, some wonder if the doors could become annoying when doing big shops, having to open and close them frequently.

According to member @Margaret 9, shopping behind glass doors was 'extremely difficult' for them. They said: 'I use a mobility scooter when shopping. It is the only way I can get around the stores.'

'It's hard enough when I have to get products from high or very low shelves; I have to find a customer service person to assist me,' they added.

This move from Coles comes after it was reported that Woolworths and ALDI would place glass doors on their chilled aisles to reduce their energy footprint.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has confirmed a major change in its new stores where it will install glass doors on its refrigerated aisles.
  • Adding doors on fridges is expected to cut refrigeration energy consumption by over 20 per cent.
  • The move is part of Coles' sustainability plans and has met some positive responses from shoppers. However, concerns were also raised.
  • This change comes after similar trials and plans announced by Woolworths and ALDI earlier this year to reduce their energy footprints.

Members, what are your thoughts on these changes? Do you think having glass doors in supermarket chilled aisles would be a hindrance? Or is it a good step towards being more environmentally friendly? Let us know in the comments below!

Seriously 🙄
Yes, I agree, I have helped many people, including children who can't reach.
We need long handle grippers available. so, customers can reach the back of the shelf.
Even the bottom shelf in the freezer is hard to reach at the back, as you early have to kneel on the floor.
How many times a day are the dirty doors and handles going to be cleaned, something else to carry bacteria.

So basically it's a wall of fridges with glass doors lol 🤷‍♀️
My Coles & Woollies (Sunbury, Victoria) has had these for quite sometime. It's so much better as I have lower back problems & it's easier to grab items from a fridge in a standing position than to lean over. If an item is too high or pushed back, l always ask a Staff Member to help me or heh, if there's a taller shopper near me, l ask them. If l see someone struggling, whether shorter than me or with a disability, l always offer to reach for them or l ask a Staff Member or someone taller near us for help.

They're power saving as well with sensor lights that power up when you step towards the doors.

Woolworths have it at Macarther Square and the deli counter has been reduced significantly and pre pared cold cuts mean more packageing plus you can’t get the amount you want

Reactions: Veggiepatch
So even on a post about chiller doors the same old boring whingers have got to go on about self checkouts. 🙄 Get over yourself. You just sound stupid as usual.

I suppose they'll complain that they've got to open the doors all by themselves as well? 😳 If nobody opens them for them they'll go in a sulk and not buy any cold food!!!

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

I think this is a good thing, but I also believe that they should have a customer service person to help people with disabilities,mobile scooters and son,even without these changes they should have a person to help at all times which is diffulcult to find at the best of times

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

There are already glass doors on the freezers so this is NOT such a big change and something that should have been done years ago. Well done Coles. Things on high shelves has always been a problem for me due to my lack of height but tall Coles shoppers have always been very kind and helped me out when ever I have needed it or if a staff member is near by they too are most helpful and kind.

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

Not only am I disabled I am very short. Aldi have them but I still manage and always some nice person will help me get something down. Any savings they make hopefully get back to us. Personally I find the flat freezers that the covers need to be dragged across more difficult.

So basically it's a wall of fridges with glass doors lol 🤷‍♀️
My Coles & Woollies (Sunbury, Victoria) has had these for quite sometime. It's so much better as I have lower back problems & it's easier to grab items from a fridge in a standing position than to lean over. If an item is too high or pushed back, l always ask a Staff Member to help me or heh, if there's a taller shopper near me, l ask them. If l see someone struggling, whether shorter than me or with a disability, l always offer to reach for them or l ask a Staff Member or someone taller near us for help.

They're power saving as well with sensor lights that power up when you step towards the doors.
I think most people are only too happy to help. It’s always a good feeling to be useful. 😊

I refuse to believe that any money saving innovations from any of the larger supermarkets will be passed on to consumers. Maybe I’m a bit sceptical, but those savings will go straight into CEO’s, Shareholders, their profits etc

So even on a post about chiller doors the same old boring whingers have got to go on about self checkouts. 🙄 Get over yourself. You just sound stupid as usual.

I suppose they'll complain that they've got to open the doors all by themselves as well? 😳 If nobody opens them for them they'll go in a sulk and not buy any cold food!!!

Last edited:
My local woolworths store have had these fridges for ages and wondered why coles hadn't followed.
I feel by having closed fridges they are cleaner and more hygienic and items are at a colder temperature .

I'm sure they will save on electricity due to the coldness not escaping into the store but instead kept in the fridge

They should have done it ages ago.

Anyone who needs help just ask. I'm always getting items down for others and don't mind at all

The doors I have no problem with as I can always ask for help by any staff member, but what I have a massive, big problem is being forced to use the self-serve area. Went shopping at Lithgow Coles yesterday afternoon. And guess what - ALL staff check-outs were CLOSED. I was not impressed having my freedom of choice taken away from me. I know I sound "privilege" & "whinge", but its my choice not theirs.
At our Coles they put on extra staff to assist customers through self serve areas.

Woolies and Drakes and some other stores have had doors on fridges for years.. If they are so concerned about power maybe they go solar like 1000's of other business. Only thing is they will still jack up the prices to cover the cost. It's all about profits.