Coles insiders leak checkout secret after shopper’s ‘awkward and weird’ experience

Have you ever been baffled by a seemingly strange request from a Coles employee at the self-serve checkout?

You're not alone.

A recent revelation from a Coles customer has shed light on a little-known rule that has left many shoppers scratching their heads.

In a video shared on social media, a Coles customer, known as @teya0466, recounted her unusual experience at the self-service checkout.

She was about to purchase a carton of mineral water when a Coles employee insisted on helping her, specifically requesting that she scan the heavy item first.

compressed-shutterstock_2097992941.jpeg
A shopper shared her experience at the Coles self-service checkout. Credit: Shutterstock

'I was using the self-service checkout, the one with the conveyor belt,' the shopper said.

‘I was going to purchase a carton of mineral water, and the lady that was overseeing the area was very insistent on helping me.’

‘And I was like, “No, it’s fine—I’m in the self-checkout. I’ll just do it myself.”’

‘She was like, “OK, but can you scan it first?”’

‘And I’m like, OK, that’s a bit weird. I don’t know why,’ she added.

‘But she was very adamant that I had to scan the carton first—I [didn’t] know I had to do that.’

The shopper's confusion led her to ask for advice on why Coles staff would insist on ‘having to scan your groceries in a certain order when you’re using the self-checkout service’.

The responses she received shed light on a confusing situation.

Many social media users, including former Coles employees, explained that heavy and bulk buys are often the most stolen items.

'As an ex-Coles service employee, it’s because bulk items are their highest stolen item. Even at the normal registers, they’ll ask you if you have any bulk items first. It’s hard on workers too,' one user said.

Another employee added, 'Because we who work at Coles have to, otherwise we get in trouble. I have been telling customers why, which helps.'

A third added, ‘My mother-in-law works there, and apparently, they have to do them first, and they are scored on it!’

The shopper who shared the video admitted she had no idea that bulky and heavy items were targeted by thieves.

'I just felt the experience was awkward and weird,' she responded.

‘But I hadn’t considered theft. Just never been told how to scan my groceries.'

You can watch the shopper's video below:

Credit: @teya0466 / TikTok​

A Coles spokesperson confirmed that staff are always on hand to help customers with the checkout process.

'Coles is always looking for ways to improve how we serve our customers and provide exceptional customer service,' the spokesperson said.

'Our team members are always encouraged to help our customers where possible. Where a customer has certain items, this may include bulky or heavy items, our team will offer to assist them in scanning the items when checking out.'

‘This is all about providing great service to our customers and helping them get through the checkouts quickly and efficiently.’

However, not everyone seemed to understand this rule.

In a previous story, a shopper shared on social media that he had been scolded by a ‘power tripping’ Coles staff member while trying to use the self-serve checkout as the shopper had committed a similar mistake.

You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer has shared a video recounting her confusion over a Coles employee’s insistence on scanning heavy items first at the self-service checkout.
  • Many have speculated that this rule is in place because heavy and bulk-buy items are commonly stolen, and scanning them first helps reduce theft.
  • Coles employees have confirmed that they are instructed to scan bulky items first and are also rated on this practice.
  • A Coles spokesperson stated that the supermarket is committed to improving customer service and that team members are encouraged to assist with the checkout process, especially with bulky or heavy items.
What are your thoughts on this rule, members? Have you experienced something similar at other supermarkets? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Didn't you know that we are all employees of Coles. Heavy items are to be done first; in case some sneaky employee tries to scan them wrong. You won't be invited to the employee Christmas Party until you get this right.

Possibly for stacking purchases back into the trolley. You are not going to put eggs and bread on the bottom.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Not enforceable in any legal sense. Coles can take a one way ticket and fly into the sun. And who in their right mind who BUY water. In my kitchen, there's a strange gadget called a TAP. Try using it some time. If you think of "nasties" in tap water, buy yourself a portable filtering system such as Britta products or install an inline filter in the plumbing.
Well, people are free to buy whatever they want, no matter what you think It is called CHOICE.

Have you ever been baffled by a seemingly strange request from a Coles employee at the self-serve checkout?

You're not alone.

A recent revelation from a Coles customer has shed light on a little-known rule that has left many shoppers scratching their heads.

In a video shared on social media, a Coles customer, known as @teya0466, recounted her unusual experience at the self-service checkout.

She was about to purchase a carton of mineral water when a Coles employee insisted on helping her, specifically requesting that she scan the heavy item first.

View attachment 39796
A shopper shared her experience at the Coles self-service checkout. Credit: Shutterstock

'I was using the self-service checkout, the one with the conveyor belt,' the shopper said.

‘I was going to purchase a carton of mineral water, and the lady that was overseeing the area was very insistent on helping me.’

‘And I was like, “No, it’s fine—I’m in the self-checkout. I’ll just do it myself.”’

‘But she was very adamant that I had to scan the carton first—I [didn’t] know I had to do that.’

The shopper's confusion led her to ask for advice on why Coles staff would insist on ‘having to scan your groceries in a certain order when you’re using the self-checkout service’.

Many social media users, including former Coles employees, explained that heavy and bulk buys are often the most stolen items.

'As an ex-Coles service employee, it’s because bulk items are their highest stolen item. Even at the normal registers, they’ll ask you if you have any bulk items first. It’s hard on workers too,' one user said.

Another employee added, 'Because we who work at Coles have to, otherwise we get in trouble. I have been telling customers why, which helps.'

A third added, ‘My mother-in-law works there, and apparently, they have to do them first, and they are scored on it!’

The shopper who shared the video admitted she had no idea that bulky and heavy items were targeted by thieves.

A Coles spokesperson confirmed that staff are always on hand to help customers with the checkout process.

'Coles is always looking for ways to improve how we serve our customers and provide exceptional customer service,' the spokesperson said.

'Our team members are always encouraged to help our customers where possible. Where a customer has certain items, this may include bulky or heavy items, our team will offer to assist them in scanning the items when checking out.'

‘This is all about providing great service to our customers and helping them get through the checkouts quickly and efficiently.’

In a previous story, a shopper shared on social media that he had been scolded by a ‘power tripping’ Coles staff member while trying to use the self-serve checkout as the shopper had committed a similar mistake.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer has shared a video recounting her confusion over a Coles employee’s insistence on scanning heavy items first at the self-service checkout.
  • Many have speculated that this rule is in place because heavy and bulk-buy items are commonly stolen, and scanning them first helps reduce theft.
  • Coles employees have confirmed that they are instructed to scan bulky items first and are also rated on this practice.
  • A Coles spokesperson stated that the supermarket is committed to improving customer service and that team members are encouraged to assist with the checkout process, especially with bulky or heavy items.
What are your thoughts on this rule, members? Have you experienced something similar at other supermarkets? Share your experiences in the comments below!

I always scan the heavy big items first so they go in the trolley first and don't squash other items. I try to place them in one half of the trolley to get them in and out easily.

At the self serve the have a handheld scanner you can use to scan any heavy items in your trolley. My husband used it on all the items in our trolley when we actually went through the self serve but that is because he likes to play with new toys lol..
That sounds just like my husband

I have been lucky with heavy items mind you I usually go to the manned checkout as they just look and check the item and enter the code. But I was shopping with my elderly Aunt and she decided it would be "cool" to try the self serve (mind you I never argue with her she is very feisty) so as we had a very full trolley I told her we should go to the manned checkout that way it frees up the self serve for other people, no she was not having that so off we went to the self serve. Now my Aunt had 2 large bags of dry dog food as well as a large bag of cat litter as well as other items that were in the trolley ( we had 2 trolleys for that reason) so I told her don't take them out I will but when I was taking them out this really obnoxious customer service person came over told me that I should not be in the self serve area due to the amount of items I had. I said to him is there a limit on what you can put through self serve? he mumbled and then my Aunt had to get into it so she told him well you take them out of the trolley and scan them and do it for me... I just told my Aunt look lets just go to the manned checkout and get it done there. After a few minutes she told the guy that she will never shop in that Coles again and she hopes everyone heard her and how he treated her (sorry I won't go into it all but it was not pleasant from his side) So we got taken to a manned checkout and the girl was so nice and she told my Aunt no don't take the heavy things out I can do it from here..
We did get an apology from the store manager of that Coles but that still didn't sit well with my Aunt .. I guess people will steal whatever they can these days... And she still hasn't gone back to that Coles....

Dear Coles, Making customers serve themselves is NOT a method of providing great service. This is a TOTAL LACK of service.

Well I WONT serve myself give me a friendly face checkout chick any day, if you have to serve yourself then we should get paid for doing their work, not only that, soon they will get rid of these lovely workers, then they will end up on the dole and looking for another job, not fair on the workers. And disable people in wheelchairs and disable scooters can not do it themselves.

Reactions: Annna
This morning at Coles Dandenong Plaza. FOUR shop assistants helping some young woman locate an item while the two "manned" checkouts were queued at least 5+ long by waiting customers.

Go figure!

I bought a 12 pack of bottled water at Coles recently and was asked to do the same - no explanation given whatsoever.

Another 10 minute fame seeker. Does it really matter if you are asked to scan heavy items first. I wish that was all I had to worry about. People need to get over their tantrums about trivial stuff, and stop posting so much crap online.

Reactions: Babbie
If for some odd reason I decided to use a self service checkout ( not likely) I would scan items as I wanted to depending on how I wanted to load my bags and trolley.

Reactions: IanB.

You're not alone.

View attachment 39796

Key Takeaways

If you (supermarkets) don't trust us then put just a little of your profits back into actually serving customers
For me ; you can take your self-service BS and shove it where the sun doesn't shine ---- I never use it . I having never been into a refinished local woolworths because there is no staffed fast checkout !
I walked past a Coles self-service area recently and the one and only staff member looked like someone out of a Nazi movie :( . Everyone is considered guilty ; we just need to catch you .
If fuel (petrol) stations still had the drive way service/attendants there would likely be far less drive offs

You're not alone.

View attachment 39796

Key Takeaways

If she was so clueless that she couldn't figure that out in the first place then I feel very sorry for her.

If you (supermarkets) don't trust us then put just a little of your profits back into actually serving customers
For me ; you can take your self-service BS and shove it where the sun doesn't shine ---- I never use it . I having never been into a refinished local woolworths because there is no staffed fast checkout !
I walked past a Coles self-service area recently and the one and only staff member looked like someone out of a Nazi movie :( . Everyone is considered guilty ; we just need to catch you .
If fuel (petrol) stations still had the drive way service/attendants there would likely be far less drive offs
Re Petrol stations, how very true.

Reactions: IanB.