Coles insiders leak checkout secret after shopper’s ‘awkward and weird’ experience

Have you ever been baffled by a seemingly strange request from a Coles employee at the self-serve checkout?

You're not alone.

A recent revelation from a Coles customer has shed light on a little-known rule that has left many shoppers scratching their heads.

In a video shared on social media, a Coles customer, known as @teya0466, recounted her unusual experience at the self-service checkout.

She was about to purchase a carton of mineral water when a Coles employee insisted on helping her, specifically requesting that she scan the heavy item first.

compressed-shutterstock_2097992941.jpeg
A shopper shared her experience at the Coles self-service checkout. Credit: Shutterstock

'I was using the self-service checkout, the one with the conveyor belt,' the shopper said.

‘I was going to purchase a carton of mineral water, and the lady that was overseeing the area was very insistent on helping me.’

‘And I was like, “No, it’s fine—I’m in the self-checkout. I’ll just do it myself.”’

‘She was like, “OK, but can you scan it first?”’

‘And I’m like, OK, that’s a bit weird. I don’t know why,’ she added.

‘But she was very adamant that I had to scan the carton first—I [didn’t] know I had to do that.’

The shopper's confusion led her to ask for advice on why Coles staff would insist on ‘having to scan your groceries in a certain order when you’re using the self-checkout service’.

The responses she received shed light on a confusing situation.

Many social media users, including former Coles employees, explained that heavy and bulk buys are often the most stolen items.

'As an ex-Coles service employee, it’s because bulk items are their highest stolen item. Even at the normal registers, they’ll ask you if you have any bulk items first. It’s hard on workers too,' one user said.

Another employee added, 'Because we who work at Coles have to, otherwise we get in trouble. I have been telling customers why, which helps.'

A third added, ‘My mother-in-law works there, and apparently, they have to do them first, and they are scored on it!’

The shopper who shared the video admitted she had no idea that bulky and heavy items were targeted by thieves.

'I just felt the experience was awkward and weird,' she responded.

‘But I hadn’t considered theft. Just never been told how to scan my groceries.'

You can watch the shopper's video below:

Credit: @teya0466 / TikTok​

A Coles spokesperson confirmed that staff are always on hand to help customers with the checkout process.

'Coles is always looking for ways to improve how we serve our customers and provide exceptional customer service,' the spokesperson said.

'Our team members are always encouraged to help our customers where possible. Where a customer has certain items, this may include bulky or heavy items, our team will offer to assist them in scanning the items when checking out.'

‘This is all about providing great service to our customers and helping them get through the checkouts quickly and efficiently.’

However, not everyone seemed to understand this rule.

In a previous story, a shopper shared on social media that he had been scolded by a ‘power tripping’ Coles staff member while trying to use the self-serve checkout as the shopper had committed a similar mistake.

You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer has shared a video recounting her confusion over a Coles employee’s insistence on scanning heavy items first at the self-service checkout.
  • Many have speculated that this rule is in place because heavy and bulk-buy items are commonly stolen, and scanning them first helps reduce theft.
  • Coles employees have confirmed that they are instructed to scan bulky items first and are also rated on this practice.
  • A Coles spokesperson stated that the supermarket is committed to improving customer service and that team members are encouraged to assist with the checkout process, especially with bulky or heavy items.
What are your thoughts on this rule, members? Have you experienced something similar at other supermarkets? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I know it’s all abit mad!!! But I totally enjoy shopping at Coles and always have done, the staff I deal with have always been lovely and helpful. Totally avoid the Self Serve area as I like to have a chinwag and them pack my bags.😍

Reactions: Lisa
So how stupid are some people? Firstly a lot of people usually scan ONE bottle NOT the whole carton I had this happen several times working in self serve secondly the cartons are HEAVY which could mean you hurt yourself, or someone else when you drop it, and can cause major problems if it breaks with spills and random objects laying on the floor.... broken glass etc....I wonder if she even thought of that?? Obviously DID NOT!! For all the people whinging about no staff helping they jump up and down like crazy things when help is offered ...seriously..wake up!

I can be a bit thick, I know, but how does scanning large items first prevent theft?
Having worked in one of the large supermarkets this is how they do it..they leave it in the bottom of the trolley undernesth the basket same with dog food, cat litter and all heavy stuff, also a lot scan ONE CAN not the carton...have seen that happen heaps of times. And that's stealing lesson 101 🙂🙂

Reactions: Nichola
So how stupid are some people? Firstly a lot of people usually scan ONE bottle NOT the whole carton I had this happen several times working in self serve secondly the cartons are HEAVY which could mean you hurt yourself, or someone else when you drop it, and can cause major problems if it breaks with spills and random objects laying on the floor.... broken glass etc....I wonder if she even thought of that?? Obviously DID NOT!! For all the people whinging about no staff helping they jump up and down like crazy things when help is offered ...seriously..wake up!
When they are finished helping someone else. Waiting waiting.

Duh ....you are in self serve...meaning DO IT YOURSELF....does the scanner reach to the trolley?

Last week in Coles at the Junction in Newcastle I had 5 cases of Coke which I left in my trollie & told the checkout lady before she scanned any of my groceries. Not knowing that a packet of small bottles of coke would be considered as a heavy item, I placed them on the conveyer belt. When the Coles worker got to the bottles she said I'll have to scan these separately as they are considered a heavy item ??? So she finalised my purchase then scanned the bottles for a separate payment. I couldn't be bothered even asking why as I was in a hurry but my thought was how ridiculous. I also had 2 × 3 litre bottles of juice & a 5 kilo bag of potatoes which I would consider as heavy BUT they were no problem. Next time I go shopping, I will check with the worker, what Coles considers as 'heavy' ?
This a multiple meaning MANY to make a heavy item, secondly you are obviously oblivious to OHS practices, also potatoes, juice are SINGLE items not multiple.

Ridiculous. If you were able to put the item into your trolley off the shelf and again into your car you don’t need help at the checkout especially self service. This happened to me at a Coles as well but it was paper towel and nappies, if I can put them in my trolley I can lift them to scan them. Anyway you don’t need to lift heavy items you can just search for them on the screen. Also maybe try telling the customers the truth that they are usually stolen and not that it’s a some bulls$&@ policy about it being too heavy for the customer.

How do they expect people to know these rules if they don't acknowledge the rules even exist. PUT UP A SIGN....I think we should go back to teaching some COMMON SENSE to kindergarten kids, the few generations above them are a lost cause.

TOO ASSUME ONLY MAKES AN ASS out of U and ME.
Which it did because its an OHS issue NOT A RULE...

Ridiculous. If you were able to put the item into your trolley off the shelf and again into your car you don’t need help at the checkout especially self service. This happened to me at a Coles as well but it was paper towel and nappies, if I can put them in my trolley I can lift them to scan them. Anyway you don’t need to lift heavy items you can just search for them on the screen. Also maybe try telling the customers the truth that they are usually stolen and not that it’s a some bulls$&@ policy about it being too heavy for the customer.
wow your assumption that just because you can everyone should is as delusional as you

Dear Coles, Making customers serve themselves is NOT a method of providing great service. This is a TOTAL LACK of service.
And they wouldn't be there if people had stopped complaining about having to wait to be served...no win situation...

I don't use self checkout. When I buy water from Woolies it stays in the trolley & the cashier hits whatever key is needed to add it to the total. I've gotten into the habit of confirming that they have charged me for it before I pay because on a couple of occasions I've got a free slab of water. While everyone loves a freebie, the risk of being accused of shoplifting is not one I care for.

It's a pity they didn't spend an equal amount of time stocking shelves and bags properly, and it's been years since I was able to get someone to help me find something. If I'm feeling up to it, I'll go find it myself and then find all the staff I asked earlier and prove that they "do in fact sell/stock it" and in what aisle it is. I detest lying.

Another pet peeve is deliberately, but slowly, getting rid of items that help people with disabilities. EG they all sell at least 3 dozen liquid soaps, but only ever 1 goat's milk (for people with asthma, psoriasis and other skin conditions). They used to sell it, but they'd rather sell 10 lavender soaps (which never sell out) instead of being helpful to their customers.

I used to order it from the manufacturer interstate after they lied and said it wasn't made anymore. But I've found tiny stores like Browse In that have it, so I buy in bulk when they have it. And to just add insult to injury ALL the supermarkets, and cheap as chips all decided on the same day to not just stop selling it but got rid of all the stock. Yet it was always selling out because it was so popular.

Yet another, cut off your nose to spite your face, decision.

• Haha
Reactions: Milica
Oh boy ! Not only are we made to do it ourselves but now forced to do it the way they want ! I’d be inclined to tell them to stuff it and walk out.
You DO just that privledged person...

They are going a bit overboard now - telling us in what order to scan our shopping! We are paying for our products and can pack them as we like - talk about control, power, and disempowering, making pple feel stupid now - as far as the hovering behind our backs or too our sides to make sure that we scan all our items incase theft is on our minds - how insulting, i find this most uncomfortable and intimidating - why don't they just get on with their jobs of putting prices down and on the right products like food to eat and cleaning products! The shopping experience with the moving photo of yourself as you put the shopping thru, the workers that are looking over your shoulders, and in some stores the alarm gates to leave the store is going overboard! Some workers seem to enjoy this and think they have the power to tell a person how to do their shopping-by law they do not!

Not just self serve. Our Coles (Kalamunda WA) staff at manned checkouts always ask if I have any bulk items. I thought it was to make it easier to pack the trolley. Apparently not the case.