SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Coles customers miffed after store goes self checkout ONLY: 'Now EVERYBODY has a job at Coles'

Coles has been criticised by some of its customers for taking away the supermarket's checkout operators from one of its stores located in Melbourne.

Sharing on a popular forum site known as Reddit, one irate Aussie noted that their local Coles store has now completely phased out traditional checkouts — meaning no more human assistance when it comes to scanning your items and paying for them.

'Coles Braybrook now only has self-check. No checkout operators any more,' said the shopper who made his complaint public on social media.

A spokesperson for Coles confirmed that hybrid assisted checkouts have been installed at the Braybrook store but insisted that employees are always available throughout the service area to serve and assist shoppers.

However, despite this claim, several people responded to the shopper's post saying they would rather shop elsewhere rather than be forced to deal with these 'self-serve' machines.

DALL·E 2022-09-04 13.08.30 - supermarket checkout operator looking sad, digital art.png
The reaction to a Coles store going self checkout only has divided the internet. What do you think? Source: OpenAI

One user wrote sarcastically: 'Now EVERYBODY has a job at Coles.'

Another chimed in: 'Let’s all charge them the going rate of a checkout person and discount that from our totals.'

A third added: 'I refuse to do self serve unless it’s a 10% discount to do it. I’ll go elsewhere. This is laziness from Coles.'

'I prefer the checkouts with people but not making small talk. I don’t like using the stupid machines," another complained. "Technology hates me and something always goes wrong. I’ll tolerate some small talk if it means not using the machines.'

Others defended the move saying that it was about time supermarkets started investing in such technology instead of wasting money hiring employees to do jobs that machines can do more efficiently.

One user said: 'I personally like these. And for every checkout operator they no longer hire, I’m sure they hire at least one personal shopper.'

'All of which staff can do now that they’re not standing on a register for five hours to serve exactly three people,' added another.

A third chimed in: 'I prefer them. Hate small talk. And it’s way quicker.'

It should be noted that while some Coles customers were divided about the change, others took a ‘serves-you-right’ attitude to people who were unhappy about the adjustment.

One person wrote: 'I think there’s a whole other aspect people aren’t seeing, the amount that staff get abused,' another added: 'I’m noticing more and more staff are wearing safety cameras at Coles and Woolworths.'

'Yep, and customers thinking the job is easy and looking down on the staff. Now they can scan their own s***,' another quipped.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think supermarkets should also implement self-serve checkouts or do you prefer going to those with human operators so you can avoid automated machines altogether?

We here at the SDC don’t necessarily mind self-checkout machines, but we certainly don’t support stores where they’re the only option available. Aside from the fact that there are some customers who have a difficult time using them, this appears to be a great way to put people out of a job, which is not something we can condone.

Last edited:
I use self service for a small shop because there ore only ever two checkouts open when I go and they have queues of people with full trolleys. I try to schedule my big shop for when I know the store is quiet. As to the ‘chatting’ I enjoy a brief chat. Why can’t we be nice to each other?

Coles has been criticised by some of its customers for taking away the supermarket's checkout operators from one of its stores located in Melbourne.

Sharing on a popular forum site known as Reddit, one irate Aussie noted that their local Coles store has now completely phased out traditional checkouts — meaning no more human assistance when it comes to scanning your items and paying for them.

'Coles Braybrook now only has self-check. No checkout operators any more,' said the shopper who made his complaint public on social media.

A spokesperson for Coles confirmed that hybrid assisted checkouts have been installed at the Braybrook store but insisted that employees are always available throughout the service area to serve and assist shoppers.

However, despite this claim, several people responded to the shopper's post saying they would rather shop elsewhere rather than be forced to deal with these 'self-serve' machines.

View attachment 5702
The reaction to a Coles store going self checkout only has divided the internet. What do you think? Source: OpenAI

One user wrote sarcastically: 'Now EVERYBODY has a job at Coles.'

Another chimed in: 'Let’s all charge them the going rate of a checkout person and discount that from our totals.'

A third added: 'I refuse to do self serve unless it’s a 10% discount to do it. I’ll go elsewhere. This is laziness from Coles.'

'I prefer the checkouts with people but not making small talk. I don’t like using the stupid machines," another complained. "Technology hates me and something always goes wrong. I’ll tolerate some small talk if it means not using the machines.'

Others defended the move saying that it was about time supermarkets started investing in such technology instead of wasting money hiring employees to do jobs that machines can do more efficiently.

One user said: 'I personally like these. And for every checkout operator they no longer hire, I’m sure they hire at least one personal shopper.'

'All of which staff can do now that they’re not standing on a register for five hours to serve exactly three people,' added another.

A third chimed in: 'I prefer them. Hate small talk. And it’s way quicker.'

It should be noted that while some Coles customers were divided about the change, others took a ‘serves-you-right’ attitude to people who were unhappy about the adjustment.

One person wrote: 'I think there’s a whole other aspect people aren’t seeing, the amount that staff get abused,' another added: 'I’m noticing more and more staff are wearing safety cameras at Coles and Woolworths.'

'Yep, and customers thinking the job is easy and looking down on the staff. Now they can scan their own s***,' another quipped.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think supermarkets should also implement self-serve checkouts or do you prefer going to those with human operators so you can avoid automated machines altogether?

We here at the SDC don’t necessarily mind self-checkout machines, but we certainly don’t support stores where they’re the only option available. Aside from the fact that there are some customers who have a difficult time using them, this appears to be a great way to put people out of a job, which is not something we can condone.
If that’s the only choice then it’s off to woollies or Aldi for me. I don’t think they will save money as a report a few days ago stated theft has been going up since Covid with a increase loss through self check out

I won't use them, as the bench is too low and that means more strain on my body than unloading from a small trolley with a higher level. I don't use the big trolleys either as bottom is too low. So anyone with physical issues that is causing a problem, distress and possibly pain. I would simply shop elsewhere. I've also observed the helper at self checkouts not helping and standing talking, and not enough helpers to help the number needing help and the number out of order. Keep the choice.

I did my time as a checkout chick, I was 15 - 19, it helped pay my way through school and college. I know they say that life is a circle, but really, do I have to go back to my teenage years? Let someone else have a turn I've done my bit. Manned checkouts only for me and lets all help some other teenagers get through school!;)

Reactions: Ezzy and Mummabear1
I prefer self serve as I drop $15 coins into machine plus no repeatable . “How are you?”
Like you folks squeeled years ago when self serve fuel came in. find drive way service now!!!!!
someone in an earlier post said “complain to local member” 100% dumb . Good luck as this is private company and they can use self serve and no politician will step in.

I’m amazed people hate change. I am 65 and I own PS5 gaming console and play war games. I do video editing. I love my grandkids but tell them to use electronic where you can. I want progress not 1965 checkout staff. besides most can’t cant add up without a register. Give me a machine at the checkout not a human.

Reactions: Ricci
I did my time as a checkout chick, I was 15 - 19, it helped pay my way through school and college. I know they say that life is a circle, but really, do I have to go back to my teenage years? Let someone else have a turn I've done my bit. Manned checkouts only for me and lets all help some other teenagers get through school!;)
Can you add up and give change without a machine😂😂😂 because most can’t that I have met. $40.20 please. Ok I’ll give you $50 note plus 20cents to cut change. Before you key it in do you know the change. Dahhhhhhhh. NOOO sorry.
ahahah. i said. And you actually did your school certificate. Ahahahah

Reactions: Jillian and Ricci
Can you add up and give change without a machine😂😂😂 because most can’t that I have met. $40.20 please. Ok I’ll give you $50 note plus 20cents to cut change. Before you key it in do you know the change. Dahhhhhhhh. NOOO sorry.
Not only can I add up and give change, I can count it back to you so we both know I got it right!! In my day all the registers did was add up and give you a total, the rest was up to the checkout person.:)

I would prefer service to self serve. I recently shopped at a Spotlight store l hadn't been to for some months. The senior lady at the checkout was fabulous. She was cheerful, friendly & very helpful to everyone. She stated that some people didn't always carry their Membership Card (requiring a search on the computer for discounts. How do you programme a self search into SELF SERVE? People could enter anythin). Some people were complaining about her but l found it very refreshing to meet someone who may enjoy doing their job & is prepared to make every one of their customers' shopping experience pleasant.

Reactions: JustPat and Ricci
Well I will relate a episode that happened at an IGA store here in WA where a shopper went and had a full trolley load and told for religious reasons they did not sell bacon, so said stuff it and left about $300 worth of shopping there - equate that if customers shop and then find out all they can go is through self serve how many shopping trolley loads may be left there to be restocked or in case of frozen or deli items wasted - so it is such a good decision.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Oh that one reminds of a power failure at a fast food place and the cash register not working and the young one behind counter had to do it the old way and pulls out a calculator and by the time he puts that through the hubby and I had already added the amount in our heads - so who did the old way????????????????

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci