Coles’ latest checkout change has customers fuming

Ah, supermarkets. While they've certainly made our lives a lot more convenient, they can often be a source of frustration as well. Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we often hear about supermarket woes. This is why we feel compelled to share this recent development that has left many customers fuming.

The retail giant has introduced more self-serve checkouts—some even with conveyor belts—in many of its stores nationwide. However, this has also reduced the number of manned checkouts, meaning there are fewer checkouts with Coles staff to help customers. This is a change that hasn't gone down too well amongst some loyal Coles shoppers.

1686119922281.png
Coles has implemented additional self-serve checkouts featuring conveyor belts within their stores. Source: Twitter

In a video shared on social media, one disgruntled customer accused the supermarket of 'really making us all look like morons'. She went on to say, 'What a chump. I'm out here working for Coles, and I'm not even getting a staff discount on my price-gouged groceries,' while scanning her items at the checkout.

It's not just the lack of assistance that has customers upset. There's a growing number of people expressing their disapproval on social media about these major changes to the checkout system. 'Coles, you are a disgrace! The checkout situation at Southland is unacceptable,' one frustrated shopper wrote on Facebook.

Others shared similar frustrations, with one longtime Coles shopper stating how they were ready to leave their 'loyalty' behind due to the growing inconvenience brought about by the 'push for the self-serve checkouts.

Coles Responds to Checkout Criticism​

1686119922372.png
Coles is enhancing customer options by offering a greater variety of checkout methods Source: Twitter

Coles isn't taking the criticism lying down, though. A spokesperson for the supermarket told 7NEWS.com.au that the company is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers.

'Coles is providing more choice to our customers in how they can choose to check out in our stores and pack their bags the way they like,' the spokesperson said.

They also reassured customers that team members are available to assist them at self-serve checkouts whenever required, adding that the supermarket is employing more staff now than it was five years ago.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket has come under fire for introducing more self-serve checkouts, leading to fewer checkouts manned by staff.
  • Customers have complained about being forced to scan and pack their groceries due to the lack of available checkouts with employees.
  • A Coles spokesperson has said team members can scan customers' groceries on the self-serve checkouts whenever required.
  • The supermarket insists it is currently employing thousands more staff than it was five years ago and is committed to providing various checkout options to customers.
As we know, embracing change can sometimes be difficult, but it's also an inevitable part of progress. What do you think of these changes implemented by Coles, and have you had any similar experiences at your local supermarket?

Remember, it's important to voice your concerns and share your feedback with Coles customer service.

For now, whether you prefer self-serve or manned checkouts, we hope your shopping trips remain fuss-free and smooth sailing! Though, we’d love to hear from you. Which DO you prefer?

Sponsored
I well recall the time when Service Station Attendants just quietly and slowly disappeared. Got to know each other and received a little "Pump Side" motoring info at times. AH!

Reactions: DLHM
If I wanted to scan my own shopping I would have become a checkout chick. Pardon the pun. Used only to make a point

The Coles I go to has just put in new self serve checkouts with the long conveyor belt. They are in a different place to the original self service section. Last Saturday there were 2 manned checkouts operating (with queues) while the new self serve and the original self service had one staff member each to provide help. Could have had 3 checkouts open!!!

Like a lot of the SDC members I prefer to go to a checkout that has someone there I do not have the confidence to try the self serve options. We live in a regional area so do not have the option to just shop for a couple of items, the closest major supermarket chains are over 150km away so shopping is a "day trip" for us and our trolley is nearly always full. Recently my husbands sister was here for a short holiday from the UK and came with us for our weekly shop. She was gobsmacked to see so many checkouts that were not self service and even more so to see the checkout operators packing our bags after ringing through the charges. Apparently this is something that she has not seen for years, saying that the supermarkets in the area she lives in(outer London) are only self serve and if there are any that have someone there they do not pack for you. Her explanation of what happens sounded very much like how Aldi does it, she was astounded when seeing the checkout operator not only packing the bags but placing them in the trolley for us. I laughed and said it is the grey hair that accounts for it, just be happy and gratefull for the help, she was still shaking her head in amazement when we left.

If you read the whol article you will see there are more staff at Coles than there was 5 years ago. Checkout staff don’t loose their jobs, they work elsewhere in the store replenishing stock, filling on line orders etc.
But you still cannot find anyone to help you if you have a query on an item!! Not one employee in sight when you need them.

If you read the whol article you will see there are more staff at Coles than there was 5 years ago. Checkout staff don’t loose their jobs, they work elsewhere in the store replenishing stock, filling on line orders etc.
They don't want the facts. They're all on the very boring "hate self service....I don't work there" bandwagon!!! :rolleyes:

Same old stupid people jumping on the same old very boring "hate self service....I don't work there....getting rid of staff" bandwagon.:rolleyes:

Self service is much better if you want to be quick. Unless people have got nothing better to do and want to waste their time then queue up for ages waiting to be served.

Coles are boring anyway as they don't seem to be doing scan and go at anythime. At least Woolworths do that and then you don't have to queue up at all and you do your own scanning on the way round the shop and pay at a special terminal at the end.:D
(y)

Reactions: Babbie