Coles’ apology over shopper’s self-checkout rant falls flat for some shoppers: ‘He’s not wrong’

The advent of self-serve checkouts in supermarkets has been a divisive topic for years, and it seems the debate has been sparked anew thanks to a viral video from a disgruntled shopper.

The video, which has now been viewed over a million times, features Aussie comedian Joe Salanitri delivering a fiery tirade against the self-service system at his local Coles.

Salanitri humorously yet pointedly criticises the expectation for customers to scan and bag their own groceries in the post.

‘I’m working for Coles now… We are working for Coles now,’ he says.

‘I’m going to send you [Coles] my tax file number so I can start getting paid.’

He then asks the supermarket giant for tasks.

‘What do you want me to do next?’ he adds, even going so far as to specify by offering to stack the shelves, reverse the delivery truck and lock up on the way out.

compressed-Screenshot_7.jpeg
Comedian Joe Salanitri took out his frustration on Coles’ self-checkouts in a video posted online, which has racked up thousands of reactions and over a million views. Image Credit: Instagram/ @joesalanitri

‘Do you want me to pack the bag? I don’t know how to pack the bag with these condiments, knowing what’s going to squash and what’s not going to squash.’

‘I haven’t gone to school for this s***, I don’t know how to do that... what am I going to do with the grapes? WHAT AM I GONNA DO WITH THE GRAPES?’

‘What’s next, do you want me to make my own f**king Coco Pops?’

The video struck a chord with many Australians, who echoed Salanitri's sentiments in the comments, expressing their dissatisfaction with feeling like they're doing a job they didn't sign up for.

‘He’s not wrong and we are all paying top dollar,’ one user said.

‘If I hurt myself using self-serve checkout, can I claim work cover?’ one user asked.

Another added: ‘I want in on Woolies and Coles’ Christmas Party since I’m a staff member.’

Coles' response to the video was swift and apologetic, acknowledging the customer's frustration and promising to share the feedback with their operations team.

‘Ohh this was a hard watch for us! We’re sorry we let you down,’ their official account replied.

‘We should always have a range of checkout options open for the convenience of our customers, but we hear you loud and clear that this didn’t happen when you visited.’

‘We will share your feedback with our Ops team (feedback as in, your actual video!) because we are always listening and learning, and your vid makes your point clearly.’

However, the apology seemed to do little to assuage the feelings of those who agree with Salanitri, as hundreds of comments replied to them with shared experiences of annoyance and resistance to the self-service model.

‘No, you’re not “learning” at all. If you did, you’d react by making checkouts more available instead of having people ask for them,’ one commenter said.

‘It’s funny Coles replied [fully] knowing they won’t change s***,’ another added.

The debate around self-serve checkouts isn't just about convenience; it's also about the broader implications for employment and the shopping experience.

Many commenters vowed to avoid self-service checkouts, also citing concerns over job losses and the impersonal nature of the experience.

There's a fear that automation could lead to fewer jobs for checkout staff, which is particularly concerning in a job market that can be challenging for older Australians.

Moreover, introducing additional security measures, such as cameras watching shoppers and technology to detect scanning accuracy, has added to the discomfort.

Shoppers report feeling criminalised during their grocery runs, an experience far from the friendly, community-focused shopping trips of the past.

[Content warning: The video below contains strong language some viewers may find distressing. Please be advised.]

Source: Instagram/@joesalanitri

It's important to note that while self-service checkouts offer convenience and efficiency, they should not replace the value of customer service and the need for choice.

Supermarkets like Coles must balance the desire for modernisation with the needs and preferences of all their customers, including those who value traditional checkout interactions.

If you find yourself frustrated with self-service checkouts, don't hesitate to contact store management or use the manned checkouts where available. Your feedback is crucial in helping retailers understand their customers' needs.
Key Takeaways

• Joe Salanitri, an Aussie comedian, posted a video rant criticising Coles for making customers use self-serve checkouts, particularly with a full trolley of items.
  • The video titled 'Employee of the month' went viral, gaining over one million views and sparking debate about the use of self-service checkouts in supermarkets.
  • Coles responded to the criticism in the comments section, apologising and acknowledging that a range of checkout options should be available for customer convenience. They promised to share the feedback with their operations team.
  • Many customers feel that self-service checkouts take jobs away from humans and several refuse to use them.
We'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Have you had similar experiences with self-service checkouts? Do you prefer the traditional checkout experience, or have you embraced the self-service trend? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Coles may have apologised, but they won't charge a damned thing. I refuse to use self service checkouts. I am perfectly capable of using them, but I don't work there, so I won't use them. If there isn't a serviced checkout open, I insist that they open one. I even had the manager open one and serve me himself.

l was made to feel like a criminal at a self-serve checkout by the staff member coming and checking my bag of mushroom that l had just put through she said it was to make sure l had selected the right type of mushrooms from the display on the screen and also checked the apples and bananas

I point blank and refuse to use the self-service checkouts,-Anywhere.
I pointedly refused to use the self-serve checkouts at the Big W store in Orange a few weeks ago, and I made the girl open a manual register, as she was just standing there watching everyone use the self-service checkouts, and even pointing them to those checkouts.

I must admit I do like self serve checkouts, I can be in and out before one customer is put through on the manned checkouts which all seem to move in slow motion. The trouble is when the cashier asks how are you, out of courtesy, you could say I'm doing okay and move on, you don't have to tell them every last detail from the last week. No thanks self serve for me.

I prefer to use the self - serve checkouts when I have only a small amount of groceries, up to one carrier bag'full. Otherwise it's usually a long wait at check - outs manned by staff. Although I don't know if Woolies still have check - outs specifically for just a few items which saved you having to queue with other customers who have more than a few items to check out. I would seriously object to having only self - serve checkouts available when I have a fortnight's worth of groceries . That really wouldbe like "working for free" at Woolies !

I love the convenience of the self serve when I don't have many items and I use the manned checkouts when I have a large shop. I don't miss back in the day waiting forever to get through the checkout, I used to get through the woman's day and start the woman's weekly while in queue. To just dump a trolley full of groceries and leave is a waste of your own time you spent getting your trolley filled, and a waste for the perishables. Surely there is a better way to protest

I always use self check outs, I don't usually have a large shop and it's much quicker. My local Coles always has at least 2 manned checkouts open whenever I'm there.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
l was made to feel like a criminal at a self-serve checkout by the staff member coming and checking my bag of mushroom that l had just put through she said it was to make sure l had selected the right type of mushrooms from the display on the screen and also checked the apples and bananas
Why did you not just leave all your items and walk out?

I have gone to stores where there is NO manned checkout.When asking why I was told’not enough staff’obviously designed by management!
Had this recently happen to me at Coles - but I pleaded ignorance and slowness - the lass came and put them through for me. She suggested that I complain to the company (not their stupid and ineffective feedback site). Like the Banks and financial institutions, if enough people complain particularly when they are being investigated, some notice will be taken.

Reactions: Jarred Santos