This $12 Kmart foundation promises to outperform luxury brands: ‘More coverage than I expected'

In the world of beauty, it’s a struggle to find a product that delivers quality without breaking the bank.

That's why when the $12 Kmart foundation has been making waves among beauty enthusiasts, every shopper knew they had to give it a closer look.

The product in question is the OXX Cosmetics Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Foundation ($12), and it's been touted as a rival to much pricier alternatives.

But does it live up to such claims? Let's dive into Mamamia Beauty and Health Editor Erin Docherty’s review.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 12.22.55 PM.png
Can this $12 Kmart foundation outperform other luxury brands? Credit: Kmart

‘On the Kmart website, it says OXX Cosmetics Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Foundation is enriched with the goodness of skin-nourishing and hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and vitamin E,’ Erin said.

‘It also says it has a serum-like finish and offers medium-to-full coverage.’

‘Now, as someone with perpetually dry, thirsty skin, any kind of makeup x skincare hybrid formula with the word “hydration” slapped on the front sounds like a very good time for me.’

‘I also love foundation coverage that boasts a serum-like finish, as I prefer more minimal coverage and hate feeling like I'm wearing a mask,’ she added.

Erin chose the ‘Cool Sand’ shade and tried it on the day she needed to be on camera for a podcast interview and client meeting.

‘Now, just as a background, my skin has been VERY dry as of late (like, even drier than usual), so I knew this would be a tough test for any foundation, let alone a newbie,’ Erin shared.

Erin’s first impression of the foundation? The formula was a little thicker than expected.

‘Upon application, I found it covered redness and niggling spots around my chin/entire face really well, and it actually offered way more coverage than I expected,’ she said.

‘I did find that I had to switch from applying the formula with my hands (I usually just apply foundation with my fingers) to a brush/sponge situation in order to really blend it in seamlessly.’

The formula was also lightweight on the face but provided decent coverage even with one layer.

‘However, I did notice some patchiness around my nose and chin throughout the day,’ Erin shared.

‘It's hard to say whether it's because I touch my face every two minutes or if it's simply not as long-wearing as some other formulas, but it might not be as hydrating as I had hoped.’

‘The second time I wore it, I switched out my SPF for another SPF formula and discovered there was way less pilling and patchiness.’

In conclusion, Erin said the $12 Kmart OXX Cosmetics Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Foundation is a commendable contender for affordable makeup.

‘While it certainly doesn't beat my other two favourite everyday formulas, I'll certainly get the wear out of it and feel like it's a great gem if you really don't want to spend big on coverage,’ she said.

If you want to see how other Kmart’s beauty range performs, another person put them to the test.

In a previous story, a beauty enthusiast tried Kmart’s makeup and skincare products for a week and gave a brutally honest review. You can read more about her review here.
Key Takeaways
  • Mamamia Beauty and Health Editor Erin Docherty discussed her experience with the $12 OXX Cosmetics Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Foundation, a budget-friendly product from Kmart.
  • Erin suggested that the brand offers products that can compare favourably with more expensive ones.
  • Erin mentioned the attraction of finding beauty dupes or cheaper alternatives to high-end products and expressed the difficulties in purchasing these sought-after items due to the allure of other products and the busy nature of her shopping trips.
Have you tried the OXX Cosmetics Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Foundation, or do you have another affordable favourite? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored