Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Cloth nappies

compressed-Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 6.34.35 PM.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Who remembers cloth nappies? Before Huggies, parents fitted their babies into one of these. A parent's test of strength and skill! They mastered folding, pinning, and washing these trusty cloth companions. There were no disposable options, just pure DIY parenting. Do you have cherished memories of using cloth nappies? Share your stories here.

Last edited:
Cloth nappies

View attachment 39415

Who remembers cloth nappies? Before Huggies, parents fitted their babies into one of these. A parent's test of strength and skill! They mastered folding, pinning, and washing these trusty cloth companions. There were no disposable options, just pure DIY parenting. Do you have cherished memories of using cloth nappies? Share your stories here.
A cherished memory of cloth Nappies ? You have to be crazy .
.Yes you wouldn't advertise using Disposal Nappies if you did.
You would be considered a BAD MOTHER at least.
The Disposal Nappies were not that good in the day. Oh the blii

The Disposal Nappies were not that good in the day. Oh
the bliss, the joy, of using cloth nappies, as I did with
Two out of three kids in Nappies. When you physically
had to clean them, rinse them, wash them, hang them, beast the elements, of wet weather, and not being home when it rained
trying to air them to make sure they were dry, fold them, and store them. It was fantastic NOT. But on the other option, the cost of them, hoping they would have them at the shop, getting them home and then storing them .
So many memories, of those days Ah !!! Thank goodness
they are over.

[/UOTE]

Cloth nappies

View attachment 39415

I don't know about cherished memories, but one I do remember is hanging them all on a prop line and they all fell down in the dirt and had to be re-washed. Not a happy mum.

The Disposal Nappies were not that good in the day. Oh the blii

I remember using cloth nappies for maybe 8 months with my first child then disposable came out. And you are right about people saying you were a bad mother if you used them but I was 16 and a rebel anyway

With my boys i tried both cloth nappies and disposables. With cloth nappies GUARANTEED nappy rash within 48 hours, no matter how hard I tried to prevent it. And anyone who looks back wistfully to 'a lovely line of white nappies, blowing in the breeze' can keep them, along with ration books and mangles!

Cloth nappies

View attachment 39415

We had five children, hence changed a lot of nappies. Our estimate is that we changed and washed 22,000 nappies. Interestingly, our youngest child is now 31 and yet we still have a few of the trusty nappies left, which make great dust cloths.

Cloth nappies

View attachment 39415

My young neighbours use cloth nappies At home and buy biodegradable ones for when they are out and about. 😊

I used cloth nappies for both my babies, despite disposables being available. I did use disposables a couple of times when the babies were sick with gastro bugs. Couldn’t afford the cost of disposables all the time. I remember one country school we attended making everyone provide their own hand towels, we were poor and mum had nappies she wasn’t using anymore so she cut them in halves and hemmed them, dyed them different colours for us. Somehow the other kids worked out what they were and gave us such a hard time about “having “ to use cut up nappies as towels. Bullying and harassment was alive and kicking back then too.

Cloth nappies

View attachment 39415

Definitely! In the 1970's I don't believe there were disposable nappies. I had twins and took great pleasure in soaking, washing and hanging oh so many out on the "Hills" clothesline. Not to mention the folding!! Cloth nappies were so soft and comfortable on my babies.

I used cloth nappies and also soft flannelette ones. I stabbed my first son once with the nappy pin, but never again did it happen, as I was so upset. Disposables were expensive at the time compared to buying cloth nappies.

Cloth nappies

View attachment 39415

Goodness yes! I had 8 younger siblings, so I mastered the folding and pinning of nappies long before I had children of my own. I preferred the 2-pin fold (better for boys).

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Goodness yes! I had 8 younger siblings, so I mastered the folding and pinning of nappies long before I had children of my own. I preferred the 2-pin fold (better for boys).
Same, 8 younger siblings so by the time I was 6 I was helping mum with the younger kids and babies. I loved to help her, I was bathing and changing babies at 6, bathing and dressing younger siblings. Feeding babies and giving them bottles once mum stopped breastfeeding. I was the only one of the older kids she trusted not to drop the baby, the others just didn’t want to be bothered. I think I was born with the mother genes.

• Love
I can remember my Mum using cloth nappies with my younger brother (6 years my junior) They were always soft and fluffy and very absorbent. When I had my own daughter I also used cloth nappies as at the time disposables were not very reliable. Zinc and castor oil cream was the goto to prevent any nappy rash. At night we used two cloth nappies at once and never had a problem.