Checkout issue irks Woolworths customers: 'Not loving this'

Grocery shopping is, for the most part, a mundane and routine task that we all go through. So it's understandable why so many of us prefer to get in and out of the supermarket as efficiently as possible, no matter the cost.

Increasingly, this means relying on AI-enabled technology like self-serve checkouts designed to speed up the checkout process by taking out the need for human interaction and involvement.

While this sounds great in theory, the reality is that for some of us, this technology can frequently be a source of frustration.

The latest checkout issue to annoy Aussie shoppers came about at an unnamed Woolworths store, where a customer found themselves facing an on-screen message that said, 'Have you left items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.'

The shopper, who said her trolley was empty aside from an empty Coles shopping bag, went to an online forum to vent her frustrations.

'Not loving this feature. Bloke next to me had the same thing,' they said.

compressed-zfds3g9um6jb1.jpeg
One shopper’s Woolworths checkout experience took a sour turn when an empty shopping bag stalled their transaction. Image Credit: Reddit

On the same thread, other shoppers shared their experiences with the self-serve checkout issue and how it affected their supermarket habits.

‘I once had a small bag from the pharmacy sitting in my trolley and got the same message when checking out. I’ve stopped using the self-serve checkout. F*** em,’ said one incensed user.

A second said: ‘Hey, I copped it yesterday. Starts beeping and flashing going, "We didn't detect you [scanning] the last item you just bagged", even though I could see it right there at the bottom of the list of the items I was scanning…’

Many said they had become so frustrated by the feature they'd simply stopped using the Woolworths self-serve checkouts and resorted to shopping at other shops like Coles and ALDI instead.

‘Really p****d me off. Will move to the ALDI up the road for the next shop,’ one user said.

A second added, ‘I’m cancelling my Everyday Rewards Extras (even though it has amazing savings rewards) and switching to Coles/ALDI instead.’

Supermarket Customer Rights On Bag Checks.jpg
Source: Seniors Discount Club

Not only that, but some have also expressed their concerns about privacy, arguing that the camera that scans trolleys and baskets can and will store images of personal items, which could be ethically questionable.

‘Their cameras can scan and store images of the contents of our personal bags. Where is our privacy in all of this?’ said one inquisitive commenter.

‘Yep, same happened to me last week, and the “self-checkout supervisor” just leant over and picked up MY (empty) bag and opened it, no asking permission, just a grab of my personal bag!’ added another.

‘I was b****y horrified and won't be going back..they'll want a f***ing strip search next!’

And unsurprisingly, some felt like the way the self-checkout system flags users even when they did nothing wrong leaves a bad taste.

‘Does kind of make you feel very untrustworthy,’ one confessed. ‘I suspect leaving something in the trolley is the least likely way someone would try to scam.’

‘What happened to customer service? Instead, we get treated like crims,’ a response said.

There were also tales from users who claimed to be supermarket workers explaining that thefts do occur inside stores.

One such user said, ‘My friend works at ALDI and says lately, at least once a week, someone with a full trolley will wait by the entrance for someone to come in, and they just rush out through the doorway while it's open.’

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths' self-serve checkout system has been facing criticism from customers for its AI tech that requires the trolley or basket to be empty before payment.
  • In one shopper’s case, the checkout tech identified an empty bag in the trolley as an unscanned item, which unnecessarily called over a staff member to assist.
  • Some customers raised privacy concerns over the system scanning the contents of customers' bags.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson mentioned that the tech aims to reduce accidental mis-scans and make shopping more convenient, and also combat theft.

Woolworths has yet to comment on the shopper’s experience.

Earlier, a spokesperson mentioned that the tech is aimed at reducing accidental mis-scans and making shopping more convenient, and it also acts to combat theft.

Should self-serve checkouts be scrapped entirely over incidents like this? If not, what improvements could be made? Let us know your thoughts below!

Sponsored
I have been inspired to subvert automatic checkouts. Bring in some tinned beans from home and then have Woollies and/or Coles run around trying to accuse me of shoplifting................
In another thread, I suggested in saying I have my pet snake in my bag. But some "pillar of society" told me to grow up. If I grew up, I'd be like them - perpetual whingers who complain at the garbo leaving the Sulo bin on its side.

• Haha
Reactions: Observer and Linwar
Grocery shopping is, for the most part, a mundane and routine task that we all go through. So it's understandable why so many of us prefer to get in and out of the supermarket as efficiently as possible, no matter the cost.

Increasingly, this means relying on AI-enabled technology like self-serve checkouts designed to speed up the checkout process by taking out the need for human interaction and involvement.

While this sounds great in theory, the reality is that for some of us, this technology can frequently be a source of frustration.

The latest checkout issue to annoy Aussie shoppers came about at an unnamed Woolworths store, where a customer found themselves facing an on-screen message that said, 'Have you left items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.'

The shopper, who said her trolley was empty aside from an empty Coles shopping bag, went to an online forum to vent her frustrations.

View attachment 28045
One shopper’s Woolworths checkout experience took a sour turn when an empty shopping bag stalled their transaction. Image Credit: Reddit

On the same thread, other shoppers shared their experiences with the self-serve checkout issue and how it affected their supermarket habits.

‘I once had a small bag from the pharmacy sitting in my trolley and got the same message when checking out. I’ve stopped using the self-serve checkout. F*** em,’ said one incensed user.

A second said: ‘Hey, I copped it yesterday. Starts beeping and flashing going, "We didn't detect you [scanning] the last item you just bagged", even though I could see it right there at the bottom of the list of the items I was scanning…’

Many said they had become so frustrated by the feature they'd simply stopped using the Woolworths self-serve checkouts and resorted to shopping at other shops like Coles and ALDI instead.

‘Really p****d me off. Will move to the ALDI up the road for the next shop,’ one user said.

A second added, ‘I’m cancelling my Everyday Rewards Extras (even though it has amazing savings rewards) and switching to Coles/ALDI instead.’

View attachment 28046

Not only that, but some have also expressed their concerns about privacy, arguing that the camera that scans trolleys and baskets can and will store images of personal items, which could be ethically questionable.

‘Their cameras can scan and store images of the contents of our personal bags. Where is our privacy in all of this?’ said one inquisitive commenter.

‘Yep, same happened to me last week, and the “self-checkout supervisor” just leant over and picked up MY (empty) bag and opened it, no asking permission, just a grab of my personal bag!’ added another.

‘I was b****y horrified and won't be going back..they'll want a f***ing strip search next!’

And unsurprisingly, some felt like the way the self-checkout system flags users even when they did nothing wrong leaves a bad taste.

‘Does kind of make you feel very untrustworthy,’ one confessed. ‘I suspect leaving something in the trolley is the least likely way someone would try to scam.’

‘What happened to customer service? Instead, we get treated like crims,’ a response said.

There were also tales from users who claimed to be supermarket workers explaining that thefts do occur inside stores.

One such user said, ‘My friend works at ALDI and says lately, at least once a week, someone with a full trolley will wait by the entrance for someone to come in, and they just rush out through the doorway while it's open.’

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths' self-serve checkout system has been facing criticism from customers for its AI tech that requires the trolley or basket to be empty before payment.
  • In one shopper’s case, the checkout tech identified an empty bag in the trolley as an unscanned item, which unnecessarily called over a staff member to assist.
  • Some customers raised privacy concerns over the system scanning the contents of customers' bags.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson mentioned that the tech aims to reduce accidental mis-scans and make shopping more convenient, and also combat theft.

Earlier, a spokesperson mentioned that the tech is aimed at reducing accidental mis-scans and making shopping more convenient, and it also acts to combat theft.

Should self-serve checkouts be scrapped entirely over incidents like this? If not, what improvements could be made? Let us know your thoughts below!
I had one event that stopped me ever using the self checkout, I had put everything through,had a woolies bag which had some knitting my friend had left at my place and we were going to meet for coffee, I was just getting a few items. The checkout called for an assistant, so I waited, and waited after 5 minutes I just left everything where it was and started walking away. A woman tapped me on the shoulder and asked to check my bag. I said no initially then she asked me to follow her back to the shop. I said No I was meeting someone, I was getting very angry by then and opened the bag. She apologized but I will never use self check out again.

And if it takes you 5 minutes longer? :) Are you in that much of a hurry? :) These are supposed to be our golden years now where we can take life at a leisurely stride :)
When you have had a back injury and standing still in one spot for 5 minutes gets very painful, then it becomes a big issue!

• Wow
Reactions: Observer

View attachment 28045

View attachment 28046

Key Takeaways

Scrap them

I had one event that stopped me ever using the self checkout, I had put everything through,had a woolies bag which had some knitting my friend had left at my place and we were going to meet for coffee, I was just getting a few items. The checkout called for an assistant, so I waited, and waited after 5 minutes I just left everything where it was and started walking away. A woman tapped me on the shoulder and asked to check my bag. I said no initially then she asked me to follow her back to the shop. I said No I was meeting someone, I was getting very angry by then and opened the bag. She apologized but I will never use self check out again.
Too much of a hurry :)

When you have had a back injury and standing still in one spot for 5 minutes gets very painful, then it becomes a big issue!
I think 5 minutes is an over exaggeration but l agree with the sore back.

I'm banned for six months from a local Woolies for giving the checkout girl an almighty gobful. My pet hate is when someone squishes the bread beyond recognition. She caught me on a bad day and refused to replace the bread which she destroyed so I let fly.

Gave the other shoppers 60 seconds of entertainment.

• Haha
Why should they be scrapped because SOME people don't like them?

Self check-outs will ALWAYS be my preferred option!
It's your right to choose which form of checking out you want to use. :)
There may be some ups and downs with your decision whether it be self checkout or conveyer belt but hey, do what you want to do. No argument from me :)

This happened to me last week.

We had taken a trolley into woolworths from kmart , so it wasn't even grocery items in the trolley, but it picked up that we had a trolley with items in it.
The annoying thing was the lady was helping 2 other people, and then a third went up to ask for something else.

I told her this is not fair I had to wait when I was using self-serve to get in and out, and then it picked up kmart items in my trolley, then wouldn't let me proceed

I will name and shame the store ...Woolworths Roselands Sydney
I recently witnessed at a supermarket someone scan all the items in the trolley filled to the brim and then just roll out the trolley without paying. The attendant (young woman) called another staff member and they followed the person who just bolted with the trolley. Clearly the staff are told not physically stop shop lifters and just follow to see if they can see a car or wait on the security personnel to potentially interven.

I recently witnessed at a supermarket someone scan all the items in the trolley filled to the brim and then just roll out the trolley without paying. The attendant (young woman) called another staff member and they followed the person who just bolted with the trolley. Clearly the staff are told not physically stop shop lifters and just follow to see if they can see a car or wait on the security personnel to potentially interven.
Omg 😲 that's terrible

The funny things you see in supermarkets.

Some dude tried to lift a leg of lamb from the local Woolworths. Got caught, threw it on the floor and wobbled off screaming.

He was dressed in a tattered t-shirt, shorts and no shoes with a huge gut hanging out. And it was about 10 degrees outside. Goose!

• Haha
I don't have any issues with it. I scan my items until l hit a $30 spend putting them to the side, scan the rewards card for benefits, then pay. I place the trolley behind me so the camera doesn't see anything but me. Then all is good. Bagged items go back in to my trolley with the receipt. Then I start again. When using my card to make the payment, I hold it in the palm of my hand so that my card details will not be recorded.
You don't seem to mind going through this rigmarole imposed upon you several times for each lot of shopping. It is said patience is a virtue, but this goes beyond my understanding

Reactions: mylittletibbies