Checkout issue irks Woolworths customers: 'Not loving this'

Grocery shopping is, for the most part, a mundane and routine task that we all go through. So it's understandable why so many of us prefer to get in and out of the supermarket as efficiently as possible, no matter the cost.

Increasingly, this means relying on AI-enabled technology like self-serve checkouts designed to speed up the checkout process by taking out the need for human interaction and involvement.

While this sounds great in theory, the reality is that for some of us, this technology can frequently be a source of frustration.

The latest checkout issue to annoy Aussie shoppers came about at an unnamed Woolworths store, where a customer found themselves facing an on-screen message that said, 'Have you left items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.'

The shopper, who said her trolley was empty aside from an empty Coles shopping bag, went to an online forum to vent her frustrations.

'Not loving this feature. Bloke next to me had the same thing,' they said.

compressed-zfds3g9um6jb1.jpeg
One shopper’s Woolworths checkout experience took a sour turn when an empty shopping bag stalled their transaction. Image Credit: Reddit

On the same thread, other shoppers shared their experiences with the self-serve checkout issue and how it affected their supermarket habits.

‘I once had a small bag from the pharmacy sitting in my trolley and got the same message when checking out. I’ve stopped using the self-serve checkout. F*** em,’ said one incensed user.

A second said: ‘Hey, I copped it yesterday. Starts beeping and flashing going, "We didn't detect you [scanning] the last item you just bagged", even though I could see it right there at the bottom of the list of the items I was scanning…’

Many said they had become so frustrated by the feature they'd simply stopped using the Woolworths self-serve checkouts and resorted to shopping at other shops like Coles and ALDI instead.

‘Really p****d me off. Will move to the ALDI up the road for the next shop,’ one user said.

A second added, ‘I’m cancelling my Everyday Rewards Extras (even though it has amazing savings rewards) and switching to Coles/ALDI instead.’

Supermarket Customer Rights On Bag Checks.jpg
Source: Seniors Discount Club

Not only that, but some have also expressed their concerns about privacy, arguing that the camera that scans trolleys and baskets can and will store images of personal items, which could be ethically questionable.

‘Their cameras can scan and store images of the contents of our personal bags. Where is our privacy in all of this?’ said one inquisitive commenter.

‘Yep, same happened to me last week, and the “self-checkout supervisor” just leant over and picked up MY (empty) bag and opened it, no asking permission, just a grab of my personal bag!’ added another.

‘I was b****y horrified and won't be going back..they'll want a f***ing strip search next!’

And unsurprisingly, some felt like the way the self-checkout system flags users even when they did nothing wrong leaves a bad taste.

‘Does kind of make you feel very untrustworthy,’ one confessed. ‘I suspect leaving something in the trolley is the least likely way someone would try to scam.’

‘What happened to customer service? Instead, we get treated like crims,’ a response said.

There were also tales from users who claimed to be supermarket workers explaining that thefts do occur inside stores.

One such user said, ‘My friend works at ALDI and says lately, at least once a week, someone with a full trolley will wait by the entrance for someone to come in, and they just rush out through the doorway while it's open.’

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths' self-serve checkout system has been facing criticism from customers for its AI tech that requires the trolley or basket to be empty before payment.
  • In one shopper’s case, the checkout tech identified an empty bag in the trolley as an unscanned item, which unnecessarily called over a staff member to assist.
  • Some customers raised privacy concerns over the system scanning the contents of customers' bags.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson mentioned that the tech aims to reduce accidental mis-scans and make shopping more convenient, and also combat theft.

Woolworths has yet to comment on the shopper’s experience.

Earlier, a spokesperson mentioned that the tech is aimed at reducing accidental mis-scans and making shopping more convenient, and it also acts to combat theft.

Should self-serve checkouts be scrapped entirely over incidents like this? If not, what improvements could be made? Let us know your thoughts below!

Sponsored
I've boycotted using Woolworths self service checkouts for over a year because I refuse to be filmed during the check out process. Look at the top right hand corner of the register, smile your on camera and being filmed, also seen in the above story photo. I'm over being reached and monitored in everything I do.

A good tip is to turn off your Bluetooth when entering a store or shopping centre. That way they don't monitor which shops you go in or which aisles you shop in.

Grocery shopping is, for the most part, a mundane and routine task that we all go through. So it's understandable why so many of us prefer to get in and out of the supermarket as efficiently as possible, no matter the cost.

Increasingly, this means relying on AI-enabled technology like self-serve checkouts designed to speed up the checkout process by taking out the need for human interaction and involvement.

While this sounds great in theory, the reality is that for some of us, this technology can frequently be a source of frustration.

The latest checkout issue to annoy Aussie shoppers came about at an unnamed Woolworths store, where a customer found themselves facing an on-screen message that said, 'Have you left items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.'

The shopper, who said her trolley was empty aside from an empty Coles shopping bag, went to an online forum to vent her frustrations.

View attachment 28045
One shopper’s Woolworths checkout experience took a sour turn when an empty shopping bag stalled their transaction. Image Credit: Reddit

On the same thread, other shoppers shared their experiences with the self-serve checkout issue and how it affected their supermarket habits.

‘I once had a small bag from the pharmacy sitting in my trolley and got the same message when checking out. I’ve stopped using the self-serve checkout. F*** em,’ said one incensed user.

A second said: ‘Hey, I copped it yesterday. Starts beeping and flashing going, "We didn't detect you [scanning] the last item you just bagged", even though I could see it right there at the bottom of the list of the items I was scanning…’

Many said they had become so frustrated by the feature they'd simply stopped using the Woolworths self-serve checkouts and resorted to shopping at other shops like Coles and ALDI instead.

‘Really p****d me off. Will move to the ALDI up the road for the next shop,’ one user said.

A second added, ‘I’m cancelling my Everyday Rewards Extras (even though it has amazing savings rewards) and switching to Coles/ALDI instead.’

View attachment 28046

Not only that, but some have also expressed their concerns about privacy, arguing that the camera that scans trolleys and baskets can and will store images of personal items, which could be ethically questionable.

‘Their cameras can scan and store images of the contents of our personal bags. Where is our privacy in all of this?’ said one inquisitive commenter.

‘Yep, same happened to me last week, and the “self-checkout supervisor” just leant over and picked up MY (empty) bag and opened it, no asking permission, just a grab of my personal bag!’ added another.

‘I was b****y horrified and won't be going back..they'll want a f***ing strip search next!’

And unsurprisingly, some felt like the way the self-checkout system flags users even when they did nothing wrong leaves a bad taste.

‘Does kind of make you feel very untrustworthy,’ one confessed. ‘I suspect leaving something in the trolley is the least likely way someone would try to scam.’

‘What happened to customer service? Instead, we get treated like crims,’ a response said.

There were also tales from users who claimed to be supermarket workers explaining that thefts do occur inside stores.

One such user said, ‘My friend works at ALDI and says lately, at least once a week, someone with a full trolley will wait by the entrance for someone to come in, and they just rush out through the doorway while it's open.’

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths' self-serve checkout system has been facing criticism from customers for its AI tech that requires the trolley or basket to be empty before payment.
  • In one shopper’s case, the checkout tech identified an empty bag in the trolley as an unscanned item, which unnecessarily called over a staff member to assist.
  • Some customers raised privacy concerns over the system scanning the contents of customers' bags.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson mentioned that the tech aims to reduce accidental mis-scans and make shopping more convenient, and also combat theft.

Earlier, a spokesperson mentioned that the tech is aimed at reducing accidental mis-scans and making shopping more convenient, and it also acts to combat theft.

Should self-serve checkouts be scrapped entirely over incidents like this? If not, what improvements could be made? Let us know your

thoughts below!
They want people to do there jobs for them than treat them as theives, what would that do if we all stopped using self service checkouts

View attachment 28045

View attachment 28046

Key Takeaways

Should self-serve checkouts be scrapped entirely over incidents like this? If not, what improvements could be made? Let us know your thoughts below!
Woolworths now take a photo of the customer as well. Dreadful.

View attachment 28045

View attachment 28046

Key Takeaways

I will not use self serve checkouts! Someone is missing out on being paid wages for this so called 'convenience'!

Reactions: Vinylted

View attachment 28045

View attachment 28046

Key Takeaways

Shame it’s happening but with all the thefts you can see why they need to make them 10 items it less ridulous people with whole trolly loads going through no wonder they can put off staff. I thought when they first came in it was for people with just a few items to get and out quickly to save time and long lines at the registers

Reactions: Vinylted
Husband and I feel the same about self serve checkouts, we avoid them like the plague and are happy to wait for a register, yesterday while picking up, some items from Bunnings there were no registers available only self serve. Husband stepped up and started scanning, the screen was very clear with instructions so he went ahead, only problem was a few items which apparently were marked incorrectly and caused a message to flash up on the screen. We were lucky there was a very happy assistant, with a big smile who came up immediately and flashed her hand held to correct the price. It was our first experience with Self serve and we went away happy, not sure if we will try with our usual weekly shop at Woolies after reading all the complaints on here, our shopping trolley is nearly always full which is the reason we have used for not using self serve before but who knows we may decide to live dangerously again!!

You don't seem to mind going through this rigmarole imposed upon you several times for each lot of shopping. It is said patience is a virtue, but this goes beyond my understanding
I'm ok with it. Even if the supermarket is busy, it doesn't bother me. Now my wife on the other hand.... LOL

Woolworths Caloundra. After scanning and packing all items, sensor reported two unused homemade bags in my trolley at point of payment. Screen prompt asked for all items to be rescanned! I was kept waiting while assistant helped others with issues at their self serve bays, and wanted to resolve the unnecessary issue. Fortunately I didn’t have to rescan but if I was requested to do so I would have emptied the contents of the bags, left them and walked out. Aldi staff are friendly, woollies staff dour. No wonder when they have to deal with customer frustration
Glad I'm not married to you. For whatever reason, I reckon you would give me so much grief LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: Earth child
There's a reason why why I put my hands either side of the escalator. Stopping pesky idiots bumping past me. I even got asked to move once to which I replied "If you're in such a hurry, get here a couple of minutes earlier!"

See! I am an a**ehole!
I always hold on, when on the escalator. Once it stopped and I nearly went flying and people behind me nearly pushed me down. Unfortunately, I don't think I could hold onto both sides. My arms couldn't reach that far. I am only 4ft 10in. Besides, I usually have shopping bags.

• Sad
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I do not mind using the self-serve checkouts when I only have a few items but not when have just done my weekly shop. A human checkout operator would rip through three trolleys while I was fumbling my way through one.

Bottom line; if I am not worth the time of a human server I will shop elsewhere.

I always hold on, when on the escalator. Once it stopped and I nearly went flying and people behind me nearly pushed me down. Unfortunately, I don't think I could hold onto both sides. My arms couldn't reach that far. I am only 4ft 10in. Besides, I usually have shopping bags.
I've got the opposite problem.

I get wicked pleasure in scanning my items so sloooowwwwly, taking an age to pay for it then packing them in the same fashion. Just looking at the waiting customers behind me, shuffling impatiently.

And I wonder why people think I'm an a**ehole!
No, they probably think you are a senile old fool!

The last time I used a self serve checkout (not Woolies), was the last.
I had about 10 items and had to call the staff member for help with every single item. I didn't have a problem with the products, it simply hated the home made tote that I was using to pack the goods into.
It refused to recognise the bag after me saying that I brought my own. The team member looked very tired. She said it had been happening quite a lot.
There is no way I am prepared to resort to store supplied bags. So, I always go through the manned checkout now and my shopping experience is all the better. Also, the ladies/men at the checkout are always pleasant and happy to have a quick chat.
I had a chat with the self serve checkout ... unfortunately it is not suitable for print.

What is this site going to be like when a full moon finally shows itself?

Another way of having a go at self checkouts. 🙄

I couldn't care less if they want to look in any bags I have and don't care how many cameras are filming me. If people didn't steal so much nobody would have to worry about it.

Reactions: Observer