Centrelink stabbing suspect pleads ‘not guilty’ as lawyers mull ‘mental impairment’ defence

Content warning: This article mentions graphic descriptions of violent crime, including stabbing and physical assault. Reader discretion is advised.

In a shocking turn of events, a man accused of stabbing a Centrelink worker in Melbourne in 2023 has pleaded not guilty, with his lawyers hinting at a possible 'mental impairment' defence.

Elijah Chase, a 35-year-old man, was arrested in May last year following the alleged stabbing of Centrelink employee Joeanne Cassar, 55, at Centrelink’s Airport West branch in Melbourne.

The incident is said to have left Ms Cassar in a pool of blood, sparking a nationwide conversation about the safety of Centrelink workers.

During a hearing at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court, Mr Chase maintained his innocence against charges of intentionally causing serious injury, recklessly causing serious injury, reckless conduct endangering life, common law assault, and use and possession of a controlled weapon.

The prosecution, led by Jordan O’Toole, presented a compelling case against the defendant. After hearing the evidence, magistrate Abigail Burchill stated she was 'satisfied' that the evidence could support a conviction and ordered Mr Chase to stand trial in the County Court.

compressed-shutterstock_1765541666.jpeg
The attack on Cassar led to intense conversations on workplace safety for Centrelink employees. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The court heard that Ms Cassar was allegedly stabbed in her lower back, narrowly missing vital organs. However, she has suffered from pain, psychological trauma, and nerve damage in the months following the incident.

Clinical Forensic Physician Jo Ann Parkin suggested that Ms Cassar would likely experience 'some degree of total personal disability' as a result of the alleged attack.

Ms Cassar's career with Services Australia spans two decades, during which she has reportedly experienced 'a number of violent assaults' as a Centrelink team member. This incident has highlighted the potential dangers faced by Centrelink staff and has led to calls for improved safety measures.

Mr Chase was identified as a suspect by a witness at the Centrelink branch and was arrested on a tram shortly after the alleged incident. He was reportedly found with blood on his hands and two knives nearby.

Mr Chase's lawyer, Honorah Edwards, questioned Detective Acting Sergeant Dale Eagle about Chase's behaviour at the time of his arrest.

Sergeant Eagle confirmed that he had concerns about Chase's mental state and had requested a doctor assess whether he was 'fit' to be interviewed. However, Mr Chase refused to speak with a doctor, and Sergeant Eagle proceeded with the interview.

Edwards hinted that the admissibility of the interview might be challenged at trial, given that Chase had not been given access to a lawyer despite expressing that he 'probably should' have one.

She also revealed that a psychiatrist had recently assessed Chase, with a mental impairment defence assessment report due 'soon'.

Chase has been remanded and will appear in the County Court for a directions hearing at a later date.

Following the alleged attack, Government Services Minister Bill Shorten announced a safety review of Centrelink’s 318 centres across Australia.

The review led to 44 recommendations, all of which the government has committed to implementing. These include additional security guards, improved IT systems, and better centre designs.

As the case unfolds, it will undoubtedly continue to spark debate about the measures needed to protect those who serve our community.

Our thoughts are with Ms Cassar and all Centrelink workers who continue to serve the public despite the potential risks they face.
Key Takeaways

• Elijah Chase, accused of stabbing Centrelink worker Joeanne Cassar, has pleaded not guilty while his lawyers prepare to explore a mental impairment defence.
  • Chase faces multiple charges, including intentionally causing serious injury and use and possession of a controlled weapon, following the incident at Centrelink’s Airport West branch in Melbourne.
  • After a hearing, magistrate Abigail Burchill ordered Elijah Chase to stand trial in the County Court, indicating the evidence could support a conviction.
  • Following a safety review of Centrelink centres, the government has committed to implementing 44 recommendations, including additional security and improved centre designs.

Have you or someone you know ever experienced violence or threats in the workplace? Share your experiences and thoughts on how we can better protect our workers in the comments below.

Sponsored
Simplistic view - Institutions put us back 100 years in relation to the stigma of mental illnesses. They were shut down for very good reasons, not the least of which abuse and neglect.

We have Mental Health Services in jails. We have high security Mental Health jails.

Cost to keep 1 prisoner in jail for 1 year approx $150k p/a not to mention the cost of infrastructure and staffing.

The biggest problem and most crime is due to Drugs - Organised Crime.

Is substance abuse mental health? Many can still function - until they can’t. Quite low success rates of rehabilitation - costs high and very much a revolving door. But they can recover by themselves only if they really want to. Ice and such is responsible for most of the erratic and violent behaviour. To put it down to mental health and therefore ‘institutions’ is a prejudice.

Humans have been violent since the beginning of time.

If we are to spend such money - it should invested in stopping the drug trade.

Female menopause, post-natal depression - can be dangerous - and many put into institutions by their loving husbands not so long ago. Dementia - can be dangerous - no pharmaceuticals to treat that.

Overall, one woman is killed by an intimate partner every two weeks in Australia - mental health or male violence?
Everyone can fix the world their own way. Go for it.

That doesn't mean she caused people to attack her.

It suggests that she has been a victim of more idiots that roam around.
It suggests she pushes people's buttons, otherwise why would they mention it, read between the lines, I suggest you don't work at centrelink coz you try to push people's buttons too Karen.

It suggests she pushes people's buttons, otherwise why would they mention it, read between the lines, I suggest you don't work at centrelink coz you try to push people's buttons too Karen.
I noticed you referred to me as Karen. Please refrain from this antisocial behaviour.

I noticed you referred to me as Karen. Please refrain from this antisocial behaviour.
"Karen is a pejorative slang term for an obnoxious, angry, entitled, and often racist middle-aged white woman who uses her privilege to get her way or police other people's behaviours"...Karen

"Karen is a pejorative slang term for an obnoxious, angry, entitled, and often racist middle-aged white woman who uses her privilege to get her way or police other people's behaviours"...Karen
Hang on, I am not angry, but I do praise hard working people though and feel sad and scared to be living in a community where sometimes they become victims of criminal acts in the course of carrying out their jobs.

I am neither racist, middle aged or white. Robbo3006 is making assumptions.

He stated that I should read the whole post. I did and it's content (even the part that noted she'd been attacked before) does not justify any person assaulting her FOR DOING HER JOB.

He also noted he had read between the lines.

Given what's in the article, his reading between the lines was an exercise of making assumptions and speculations.

This is like people who say 'where there's smoke, there's fire' and that is not always the case, sometimes buddy, it's just smoke.

I was not born with a silver spoon (ie entitled), but I did work hard at school to achieve goals I'd set including going on to and graduating from University against many odds.

I then worked in both public and private sectors for decades, turning up for work regularly and doing that work conscientiously and with empathy.

As for policing other people's behaviours, yes I condemn anyone stabbing someone at their workplace.

How in hell could anyone say a worker anywhere could have deserved the attack because she'd been attacked before?

This Centrelink worker is someone who is compelled to follow her employer's rules and regulations while providing the services Centrelink was created to deliver.

In fact, I should not be alone in this thinking, the alleged stabber's behaviour should be condemned by all.

The only people who would excuse it (the attack) are those that have a gripe with Centrelink because they've been to an office and not received what they've sought.

These are a great mass of disgruntled people who will only ever become 'gruntled' if or when:

1. they get everything they want (not need, but want) from taxpayers ' dollars; and

2. the Centrelink staff that serve them bow down and kiss their feet; and

3. the delegates, ministers and the prime minister are publicly flogged.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Hang on, I am not angry, but I do praise hard working people though and feel sad and scared to be living in a community where sometimes they become victims of criminal acts in the course of carrying out their jobs.

He stated that I should read the whole post. I did and it's content (even the part that noted she'd been attacked before) does not justify any person assaulting her FOR DOING HER JOB.

Given what's in the article, his reading between the lines was an exercise of making assumptions and speculations.

This is like people who say 'where there's smoke, there's fire' and that is not always the case, sometimes buddy, it's just smoke.

I was not born with a silver spoon (ie entitled), but I did work hard at school to achieve goals I'd set including going on to and graduating from University against many odds.

I then worked in both public and private sectors for decades, turning up for work regularly and doing that work conscientiously and with empathy.

As for policing other people's behaviours, yes I condemn anyone stabbing someone at their workplace.

How in hell could anyone say a worker anywhere could have deserved the attack because she'd been attacked before?

This Centrelink worker is someone who is compelled to follow her employer's rules and regulations while providing the services Centrelink was created to deliver.

In fact, I should not be alone in this thinking, the alleged stabber's behaviour should be condemned by all.

The only people who would excuse it (the attack) are those that have a gripe with Centrelink because they've been to an office and not received what they've sought.

These are a great mass of disgruntled people who will only ever become 'gruntled' if or when:

1. they get everything they want (not need, but want) from taxpayers ' dollars; and

I was just explaining the slang word - but I would not call that as anti-social behaviour. Now, calling people with health or mental conditions 'Animals" is a step further in my opinion. I didn't see anyone saying it was acceptable behaviour. But as an aside, I think that everyone can be driven to violence - not saying it should happen but it can depend on the circumstances - not in this case though. If someone was trying to hurt one of mine - I feel sure that I would do whatever was necessary to stop them - but that is a different matter...just saying.

Blah blah blah blah, I didn't waste my time reading all your crap Karen.

See, the term suits you perfectly, nobody but you is entitled to an opinion, you attacked me first, so I responded Karen.