Centrelink stabbing suspect pleads ‘not guilty’ as lawyers mull ‘mental impairment’ defence

Content warning: This article mentions graphic descriptions of violent crime, including stabbing and physical assault. Reader discretion is advised.

In a shocking turn of events, a man accused of stabbing a Centrelink worker in Melbourne in 2023 has pleaded not guilty, with his lawyers hinting at a possible 'mental impairment' defence.

Elijah Chase, a 35-year-old man, was arrested in May last year following the alleged stabbing of Centrelink employee Joeanne Cassar, 55, at Centrelink’s Airport West branch in Melbourne.

The incident is said to have left Ms Cassar in a pool of blood, sparking a nationwide conversation about the safety of Centrelink workers.

During a hearing at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court, Mr Chase maintained his innocence against charges of intentionally causing serious injury, recklessly causing serious injury, reckless conduct endangering life, common law assault, and use and possession of a controlled weapon.

The prosecution, led by Jordan O’Toole, presented a compelling case against the defendant. After hearing the evidence, magistrate Abigail Burchill stated she was 'satisfied' that the evidence could support a conviction and ordered Mr Chase to stand trial in the County Court.

compressed-shutterstock_1765541666.jpeg
The attack on Cassar led to intense conversations on workplace safety for Centrelink employees. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The court heard that Ms Cassar was allegedly stabbed in her lower back, narrowly missing vital organs. However, she has suffered from pain, psychological trauma, and nerve damage in the months following the incident.

Clinical Forensic Physician Jo Ann Parkin suggested that Ms Cassar would likely experience 'some degree of total personal disability' as a result of the alleged attack.

Ms Cassar's career with Services Australia spans two decades, during which she has reportedly experienced 'a number of violent assaults' as a Centrelink team member. This incident has highlighted the potential dangers faced by Centrelink staff and has led to calls for improved safety measures.

Mr Chase was identified as a suspect by a witness at the Centrelink branch and was arrested on a tram shortly after the alleged incident. He was reportedly found with blood on his hands and two knives nearby.

Mr Chase's lawyer, Honorah Edwards, questioned Detective Acting Sergeant Dale Eagle about Chase's behaviour at the time of his arrest.

Sergeant Eagle confirmed that he had concerns about Chase's mental state and had requested a doctor assess whether he was 'fit' to be interviewed. However, Mr Chase refused to speak with a doctor, and Sergeant Eagle proceeded with the interview.

Edwards hinted that the admissibility of the interview might be challenged at trial, given that Chase had not been given access to a lawyer despite expressing that he 'probably should' have one.

She also revealed that a psychiatrist had recently assessed Chase, with a mental impairment defence assessment report due 'soon'.

Chase has been remanded and will appear in the County Court for a directions hearing at a later date.

Following the alleged attack, Government Services Minister Bill Shorten announced a safety review of Centrelink’s 318 centres across Australia.

The review led to 44 recommendations, all of which the government has committed to implementing. These include additional security guards, improved IT systems, and better centre designs.

As the case unfolds, it will undoubtedly continue to spark debate about the measures needed to protect those who serve our community.

Our thoughts are with Ms Cassar and all Centrelink workers who continue to serve the public despite the potential risks they face.
Key Takeaways

• Elijah Chase, accused of stabbing Centrelink worker Joeanne Cassar, has pleaded not guilty while his lawyers prepare to explore a mental impairment defence.
  • Chase faces multiple charges, including intentionally causing serious injury and use and possession of a controlled weapon, following the incident at Centrelink’s Airport West branch in Melbourne.
  • After a hearing, magistrate Abigail Burchill ordered Elijah Chase to stand trial in the County Court, indicating the evidence could support a conviction.
  • Following a safety review of Centrelink centres, the government has committed to implementing 44 recommendations, including additional security and improved centre designs.

Have you or someone you know ever experienced violence or threats in the workplace? Share your experiences and thoughts on how we can better protect our workers in the comments below.

Sponsored
Not everyone has family support, either because they have no family or they have exhausted the patience and support a family can give.
I do wish for the institutions to be reopened as some people simply cannot function in society and who, for their safety and those of the rest of the community, need to be in a secure facility. Not everyone with a mental illness needs to be in a facility but many do.
Then we probably have to wait until they commit the crime otherwise Dementia, drug addicts and alcoholics - criminally insane - lock up and throw away the key - that would be a lot of people all in together...perhaps it would save taxpayer money at the end of the day? Problem solved? Can we build such large facilities to cater for all these?

Reactions: Robbo3006
Then we probably have to wait until they commit the crime otherwise Dementia, drug addicts and alcoholics - criminally insane - lock up and throw away the key - that would be a lot of people all in together...perhaps it would save taxpayer money at the end of the day? Problem solved? Can we build such large facilities to cater for all these?
That is NOT what I said ... and you know it. Talk about over-sensationalising a situation and attempting to put words in people's mouths ... that rubbish will not wash with me and I will call you out on it. Those with a diagnosed mental illness who cannot function in society without attacking innocent people and injuring others should have a safe facility in which to live. If you don't want that then I would have to ask are you prepared for your loved ones to be victims of these people who need to be treated in a secure facility?

Reactions: gordon1940
That is NOT what I said ... and you know it. Talk about over-sensationalising a situation and attempting to put words in people's mouths ... that rubbish will not wash with me and I will call you out on it.
Chill! I did not say that you said that so take your angry tongue away from me. I am saying that with that logic - that is what would happen. If 'they', regardless of age or mental defect, cannot function out in society, and who do not have the family support, should be institutionalised, for their safety and the safety of others - that is how I read your words. I was just applying that reasoning and seeing that result - institutions, a dumping ground. Otherwise we have public hospitals and free or close to free access to medical and pharmaceuticals and lots of support services. What we do have in too many cases, is families who do not take any responsibility for their own.

Where are the families of these mental health criminals? Apart from Personality Disorders most true mental health sufferers are treated with meds and along with family support are the least of our criminals. Be careful what you wish for with Institutions as such, history does not reflect well. Help is available for mental health but mental health needs to be defined - sometimes people are just ...not nice for the want of a better word.
From what I've observed over the past 50 years or so, Families are frequently the cause of the problem rather than the cure.

Reactions: Robbo3006 and Knell
Yes and some are hereditary. Just as many could support, but do not.

You heard me, if she's been attacked numerous times before she must piss people off a lot, how many people in centrelink get assaulted, eff all, but she's been attacked numerous times, that tells me she's not a nice person and one of the problems that centrelink has, how they treat people.

Maybe not. It's a very stressful job dealing with government assistance. I had a friend who used to work where they gave emergency government handouts and they would get abused and threatened on a daily basis. More often than not, the police were called especially when the allocated money finished. They had to put up glass partitions and make sure they weren't followed. The car tyres were also slashed on occassion. This worker is only following protocol to what the procedures are. I am glad this incident has caused them to review security. At the same time, there is a shortfall of service and resources so frustration levels are also high.
If you have ever had to deal with them, you'll know what frustration really is, some of the staff are wonderful, I mean it, really great, bet they never get attacked and assaulted, I had one "lady" say to me, don't come here expecting you're entitled to anything, you're not, first words out of her mouth, after I'd been in a serious accident at work , after 4 surgeries. Some of them think they're God like.

You heard me, if she's been attacked numerous times before she must piss people off a lot, how many people in centrelink get assaulted, eff all, but she's been attacked numerous times, that tells me she's not a nice person and one of the problems that centrelink has, how they treat people.
Doesn’t mean she deserves to be stabbed matey.🙀everyone deserves to feel safe in their work environment.😊how would you feel if it happened to you or someone you love.🤔

He stabbed the woman in the back, with a weapon he should not have been carrying. He obviously intended to use it as soon as someone upset him. Otherwise, why did he need it?

He stabbed the woman in the back, with a weapon he should not have been carrying. He obviously intended to use it as soon as someone upset him. Otherwise, why did he need it?
Nowadays? Self defence. No, you're right, she's pissed him off before, this time he was prepared, premeditated, so there goes his mental illness defence.

Nowadays? Self defence. No, you're right, she's pissed him off before, this time he was prepared, premeditated, so there goes his mental illness defence.
Don't put your words in my mouth.
I never said she pissed him off as you put it at all.
The woman was doing her job, and he stabbed her in the back.
Are you suggesting if we don't like an answer we get in a government office, we should stab the worker .
What the hell is wrong with you.

Reactions: Littleboy8
It says more about the utter callous incompetence of CentreLink as an institution that is supposed to help people in distress (yes, not being employed, being called a "dole bludger" by the self-righteous and not being able to pay the rent or bills is distressing) than those involved on either side of the CentreLink counter/telephone answering machine.
the mighty bob hawke first cioned the term dole bludger in an attemp t ry cover up the lack of jobs and rising unemployment in his dying days of govt and every employed person nd mp has jumped on the band wagon ever since And you so right about the lack off assistance offered by this govt department known as centre link and albaneses govt ignores this issue too

Reactions: Robbo3006
Are you suggesting if we don't like an answer we get in a government office, we should stab the worker .
Evidently you have never dealt with them, coz with your bad ass temper you'd probably do worse, settle down you psycho.

Ironic, you don't recognise sarcasm either.

impairment??? Who goes to a Centrelink appointment carrying 2 knives???
Where are the families of these mental health criminals? Apart from Personality Disorders most true mental health sufferers are treated with meds and along with family support are the least of our criminals. Be careful what you wish for with Institutions as such, history does not reflect well. Help is available for mental health but mental health needs to be defined - sometimes people are just ...not nice for the want of a better word.
I have a mental illness taking weapons into the centrelink office is the last thing I would do in all honesty I have found some of the staff at Centrelink very supportive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knell
I have a mental illness and it is under control with medication.

Reactions: DLHM and Knell
This is the natural result of 40+ years of Governments presiding over "Mental Health On The Cheap".
It's almost impossible to get an Involuntary Admission to a Mental Health facility these days, assuming you can find one still available to receive the Patient.
My opinion is the government are more to blame with doing absolutely nothing for people with mental illness I have a mental illness myself but to abuse the staff at Centrelink is just not something I would not do

Reactions: DLHM and Knell
That is NOT what I said ... and you know it. Talk about over-sensationalising a situation and attempting to put words in people's mouths ... that rubbish will not wash with me and I will call you out on it. Those with a diagnosed mental illness who cannot function in society without attacking innocent people and injuring others should have a safe facility in which to live. If you don't want that then I would have to ask are you prepared for your loved ones to be victims of these people who need to be treated in a secure facility?
Well you edited that, so response is still that they need to commit a crime first and if that happens, they do go to a jail for the mentally insane, if in fact that fit the criteria. Or are you talking about someone assessing whether or not they might commit a violent crime?