Cash or card? Coles' bold new checkout policy might affect how you pay in the future!

In an era dominated by digital advancements, the debate over cashless transactions has ignited fervent discussions worldwide.

Some argue that transitioning to a cashless society brings forth numerous benefits, including enhanced convenience, security, and efficiency, while others raise concerns regarding issues of accessibility, privacy, and potential exclusion of marginalised communities.

Amidst the debate, Coles is the latest major retailer to navigate the shifting tides of consumer payment preferences.

A leaked internal memo revealed that Coles Liquor, which includes Liquorland, Vintage Cellars, and First Choice, is preparing its staff for a significant, albeit temporary, shift to 'card only' transactions.

This move comes as Armaguard, a primary cash transport service provider, faces potential insolvency due to the declining use of physical currency.

The 'industry-wide challenges' cited by a Coles spokesperson are set to impact the supermarket and liquor store giant from Wednesday, March 27 to Friday, April 5.

compressed-shutterstock_1297608751.jpeg
A leaked internal Coles memo revealed staff were advised how to handle customer queries on a temporary transition to ‘card only’ transactions. Credits: Shutterstock

During this period, Coles staff were instructed to pivot to 'card only payments' should their cash reserves dwindle, and to inform customers of the change with a 'card only' notice at active registers.

When asked why customers cannot make cash payments, the memo advised employees to respond with: ‘Our change reserves have been impacted by a decline in cash transactions, along with industry-wide challenges with cash-movement services. All card purchases are still accepted.’

However, Coles was quick to clarify that this adjustment did not signify a total transition to a cashless operation, and emphasised that the temporary alteration would probably affect only a small portion of customers.

‘We are not transitioning to cashless transactions,’ a spokesperson asserted.

‘Due to industry-wide challenges with cash movements, we are taking some temporary steps to prepare for disruption to Armaguard services. Cash transactions continue to be available in all Coles supermarkets and Coles Liquor stores.’

Australian Banking Association CEO Anna Bligh indicated that major banks, along with Coles and Woolworths, are involved in a short-term bailout deal with Armaguard to navigate these challenges.

This is reflective of a broader trend, with the Reserve Bank reporting a steep decline in cash usage for consumer payments, from 70 per cent in 2007 to a mere 13 per cent in 2022.

Coles isn't alone in its move towards card-centric transactions.

Several KFC outlets in New South Wales, and select McDonald’s restaurants in Melbourne also adopted a card-preferred policy, citing security concerns.

While businesses in Australia are not legally required to accept cash, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) mandated that they must be ‘clear and upfront about the types of payments they accept’.

Despite this, a study by Waave found that 71 per cent of Australians are concerned about the country transitioning to a cashless society, with 41 per cent expressing they are ‘extremely concerned’.

Additionally, Baby Boomers, regional residents, and lower-income households expressed the most anxiety.

The implications of this shift are far-reaching.

Coles' Kununurra store in Western Australia has already paused cash-out services due to a surge in demand for cash following local bank closures, according to a spokesperson.

This is a microcosm of a larger trend, with the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority noting the closure of 424 bank branches and the removal of 718 ATMs in the year leading up to June 2023.
Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket is preparing for a potential disruption to cash transport services, with a temporary 'card only' policy due to industry-wide issues, including the potential insolvency of Armaguard.
  • Staff at Coles Liquor stores were instructed to convert to card only payments and display notices if cash reserves are low during the affected period.
  • The Coles spokesperson confirmed this does not signal a permanent move to cashless transactions and that cash is still accepted at their stores.
  • There is a decline in the use of cash for transactions in Australia, with a significant number of Australians concerned about the move towards a cashless society.
Do you believe cash should remain king at the checkout, members? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
One SMALL (but ultimately BIG) problem with Cashless Society.
If you are carrying cash and are unfortunately mugged, you lose what cash you are carrying.
If you are part of the cashless society and are mugged, they take your card, whilst they are usually armed, they force you to give up your pin, and then they have access to ALL your money, or maybe your just daily limit, which in itself would probably be a lot more than your daily cash carry.

I have left items (not a large trolley full) at the checkout when they changed to more self serve (have never used them) as no one on the 12 or less. I then spoke to the manager next time I went in & he said the staff member at the self-serve can come down & put through 12 or less. I have also been into a shop (Australia wide) in a rural town to buy sheets and they had a sign on the counter 'CARD ONLY'. I asked if that was correct and they said "YES we don't take cash anymore because" I stopped her then & said "I don't want to hear the reason the company has told you to pass onto customers, I do have a card BUT I am not having a company tell me that I can't use legal tender so I will NO longer be shopping here in the future". The manageress acknowledged I had been a good customer for many years and was sorry I felt that way. I have kept my word & of course I won't buy from them online either. We have to stand up for our rights. Look what happened in 2020 - 2023. IF everyone had stood together things would have been a lot different - can't sack everyone.....just saying
United we stand divided we fall... keep up the good work.

I was in the bank this morning and we were discussing the Armaguard thing. The bank teller said these issues have been discussed for the best part of twenty years so nothing new, mainly the media fear mongering. He said they are not short of cash and don’t expect to be. I asked about how I’d read some people haven’t been able to get cash from their bank. He said there are usually two issues that prevent that - one is that the person doesn’t have an account at that branch/bank or they want to draw out a large amount that the branch doesn’t actually carry. So I don’t think there is much to worry about. But the fact lots of places are going card only is for their convenience and also security reasons

I find it interesting when people say they leave behind trolleys full if there is no cash payment or manned checkouts open. Do you tell a staff member or make a big scene of it? How often have people actually done this? Just asking.
I do it in the supermarket all the time. If there are more than 3 waiting to be served I ask for another checkout to be opened, if they do not open it I tell them they can put my trolley load of groceries back as I am leaving and there are perishables. I also leave if places are card only and tell them why.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Cash is legal tender they can not refuse to accept it no matter what they say.

I am a believer in keeping cash alive and have recently started using it more frequently myself with any stores that charge an EFT fee. This fee is charged, not because the retailer is greedy, but rather due to the amount of money that is charged to them by the banks for the use of the service. Our banks are returning profits in the billions while small business is having to close their doors and those on low incomes are paying extra and struggling. I don't see why the banks should charge the fees they do for EFTPOS Fees. Yes it is a service but it is very much being charged at the expense of others while they get richer.
I myself am computer literate and have no issues using EFT, BPay etc but recently found that when I went to pay the ATO for a tax debt from my bank account and set up for my car registration to be direct debited from my account - they too charge a fee for doing this. These are Government Departments that are oncharging the fee the banks charge them.
Fedup Pensioner

CASH IS KING!!! Cash is never impacted when the power goes out, or the internet is down, when I give someone $50 cash, they retain $50, but if I pay that same $50 via digital (card) payment, the payee loses some of that money in bank fees. I do still use both methods, but am transitioning back to a majority of cash payments. If I withdraw $100 cash, I know exactly how much I have spent and how much I have left over. When I pay digitally, it is far too easy to overspend and then struggle to cover bills. Also, with the chip on my card, it is all too easy for someone else to find/take my card and spend up to the $100 limit per transaction until my daily limit is reached, leaving me in dire straits. If I lose or have my cash stolen, they can only spend the amount they took, no more. Cash is what makes a cake stall work, pocket money for the kids/grandkids, donations are usually coins, small groups rely on cash to function, and many older people prefer cash. Card payment has been slowly but surely shoved down our throats with only the benefits to business taken into account.

Reactions: Ezzy
If you don’t want to take my cash I’m out of there , they obviously don’t need my business.
Just had a thought. I've just had a haircut at the Barber, the sign on the Cash Register says 'CARD ONLY', but l don't have a card or left this home, the only choice they have is accept my cash or give me the haircut for free. Might work once but not sure about twice.

The demise of cash will only benefit the greedy businesses who charge a percentage if we use a card. It must be more expensive for businesses to use cash, holding cash on premises, extra labour to handle cash, cashing up and banking each day. It should be illegal to charge for use of card, build it into the cost of doing business.
Either way the Customer pays as an extra charge in the form of bank charges or a built in operation cost.

As silly as it seems the Seniors' Club l belong to & run by the City Council, introduced Card Payments for the $2 we pay for activities. Like many others here l still pay cash.

AUSTRALIA IS NOT A DICTATORSHIP SO WHY FORCE THESE CHANGES ON US???

I WANT CASH & WILL FIGHT CARD PAYMENTS UNTIL THE END!