Bunnings under fire for its controversial and 'tacky' Christmas decoration

Christmas is a time for joy and celebration where families come together, enjoy the holidays, and remember all the things we have to be grateful for.

Decorations flood the market as soon as the calendar hits October. But with several modern Christmas decorations hitting the shelves, there’s one particular item that drew flak online.

This item is making headlines for its polarising nature rather than its festive cheer. We’re talking about Bunnings' Outlaw Santa ($119), an inflatable figure bearing an uncanny resemblance to Australian bushranger Ned Kelly.

At first glance, the figure looks like your typical Santa Claus. He's seated atop a chestnut pony while carrying a large sack of toys and wearing the usual Santa hat.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 10.16.44 AM.png
Bunnings received comments online for its controversial Outlaw Santa Christmas decoration. Credit: Bunnings

However, Santa's helmet is not the traditional one we’re used to seeing, but rather one modelled after the one made famous by Ned Kelly himself.

This naturally caused an uproar among the Aussies online who saw the item as 'tacky and insensitive'.

'It is a no from me, it is losing the goodness of Christmas,' one user commented.

'No, it is tacky and in poor taste. It is one thing to include him in our history and another to celebrate him in this way. I think it is insulting,' another wrote.

A commenter online also mentioned that Ned Kelly was a murderer, specifically a police killer, and he shouldn’t be celebrated.

This comment was in reference to Ned Kelly being convicted of murder in 1880 when he and his gang ambushed and killed three police officers at Stringybark Creek, Victoria.

However, other users online thought it was fine.

One person said, ‘I would call him Neddy, I like him.’

‘Ned is a big part of our culture, he has just as much right to be part of Christmas as the kebabs and octopus! I'd say it's a descendent of the constable (can't remember his name right this second) who has a beef with it,’ a woman pointed out.

'That is one of the most Australian things I've ever seen good on them,' another commented.

Some people responded that they prefer any Aussie or Outback theme over snow-topped mountains, which doesn’t represent Christmas in Australia.

Despite the controversy, Bunnings revealed that the Outlaw Santa will still remain on sale in-store and on their website.

According to Adrian Pearce, Bunnings General Manager of Merchandise, ‘The inflatable Santa is part of our promotional items for Christmas that includes a wide range of festive inflatable designs this year.’

This is not the first time Bunnings received backlash on social media. Recently, Bunnings received comments online that the big retailers are putting up holiday decorations for sale, such as huge nutcrackers, earlier every year. You can check this story here.

Key Takeaways

• Bunnings Warehouse is facing criticism for its Outlaw Santa Christmas decoration, which resembles notorious Australian bushranger Ned Kelly.
  • Many customers have expressed their displeasure over the decoration, with comments ranging from it being 'tacky' to 'insulting' to the spirit of Christmas.
  • Conversely, other customers appreciate the uniquely Australian aspect of the decoration, commending the retailer for straying from traditional snow-themed decorations.
  • Despite the controversy, Bunnings has confirmed that the Christmas decoration will remain on sale and is only available in-store due to 'low stock' online.

What do you think of the Outlaw Santa? Would you consider getting one? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Isn't it funny how as children you are told not to lie yet parents lie to their kids by saying there is a Santa , there is an Easter bunny and then there is the Tooth Fairy
Is there a real Santa? After 20 years performing in that role I would say, Yes, Definitely.
Have we ever seen him? No, never will.
But I have seen his good works many times over the years so I believe that phrase about knowing him because of his good works.
In the Christmas Performer Industry we have a saying, 'Santa is not the man in the Red Suit. Santa is what is in the heart of the man in the Red Suit. If he hasn't got the Heart then he's just a man wearing a Red Suit.'

No, but what has that got to do with anything?
The statement asked about Xmas and who was X. I simply answered it.
I'm married to a Greek and St Nicholas the one who they portray as Santa isn't Greek.
The Russians also have a st Nicholas but this one is actually Turkish from the Christian side of Turkey

Reactions: Jo Piper3
Is there a real Santa? After 20 years performing in that role I would say, Yes, Definitely.
But I have seen his good works many times over the years so I believe that phrase about knowing him because of his good works.
In the Christmas Performer Industry we have a saying, 'Santa is not the man in the Red Suit. Santa is what is in the heart of the man in the Red Suit. If he hasn't got the Heart then he's just a man wearing a Red Suit.'
This sounds a little contradictive to what you previously wrote
Or have I got the wrong person ? Nope right person

There has been some nice men who dress up as Santa but also alot of Paedophiles as well
Umm, nope. That's a wild generalisation without substance. There are very very few of that persuasion that have performed as Santa and they are quickly found out and drummed out of the industry. Please don't spread wild untruths like that.

Umm, nope. That's a wild generalisation without substance. There are very very few of that persuasion that have performed as Santa and they are quickly found out and drummed out of the industry. Please don't spread wild untruths like that.
I can dig some up if you want

I love that saying you’ve won my heart.😍anyway I’m 65 and I still believe in Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, and the boogeyman under the bed. So there stick that in your pipe and smoke it.😈😈

Stephen Brown, 40, was arrested on a busy shopping street in Newcastle city centre. A paedophile will spend Christmas behind bars after dressing up as Santa and offering to have his photograph taken with children.3 Dec 2019
That's just one and there are heaps more

Christmas is a time for joy and celebration where families come together, enjoy the holidays, and remember all the things we have to be grateful for.

Decorations flood the market as soon as the calendar hits October. But with several modern Christmas decorations hitting the shelves, there’s one particular item that drew flack online.

This item is making headlines for its polarising nature rather than its festive cheer. We’re talking about Bunnings' Outlaw Santa ($119), an inflatable figure bearing an uncanny resemblance to Australian bushranger Ned Kelly.

At first glance, the figure looks like your typical Santa Claus. He's seated atop a chestnut pony while carrying a large sack of toys and wearing the usual Santa hat.

View attachment 33212
Bunnings received comments online for its controversial Outlaw Santa Christmas decoration. Credit: Bunnings

However, Santa's helmet is not the traditional one we’re used to seeing, but rather one modelled after the one made famous by Ned Kelly himself.

This naturally caused an uproar among the Aussies online who saw the item as 'tacky and insensitive'.

'It is a no from me, it is losing the goodness of Christmas,' one user commented.

'No, it is tacky and in poor taste. It is one thing to include him in our history and another to celebrate him in this way. I think it is insulting,' another wrote.

A commenter online also mentioned that Ned Kelly was a murderer, specifically a police killer, and he shouldn’t be celebrated.

This comment was in reference to Ned Kelly being convicted of murder in 1880 when he and his gang ambushed and killed three police officers at Stringybark Creek, Victoria.

However, other users online thought it was fine.

One person said, ‘I would call him Neddy, I like him.’

‘Ned is a big part of our culture, he has just as much right to be part of Christmas as the kebabs and octopus! I'd say it's a descendent of the constable (can't remember his name right this second) who has a beef with it,’ a woman pointed out.

'That is one of the most Australian things I've ever seen good on them,' another commented.

Some people responded that they prefer any Aussie or Outback theme over snow-topped mountains, which doesn’t represent Christmas in Australia.

Despite the controversy, Bunnings revealed that the Outlaw Santa will still remain on sale in-store and on their website.

According to Adrian Pearce, Bunnings General Manager of Merchandise, ‘The inflatable Santa is part of our promotional items for Christmas that includes a wide range of festive inflatable designs this year.’

This is not the first time Bunnings received backlash on social media. Recently, Bunnings received comments online that the big retailers are putting up holiday decorations for sale, such as huge nutcrackers, earlier every year. You can check this story here.

Key Takeaways

• Bunnings Warehouse is facing criticism for its Outlaw Santa Christmas decoration, which resembles notorious Australian bushranger Ned Kelly.
  • Many customers have expressed their displeasure over the decoration, with comments ranging from it being 'tacky' to 'insulting' to the spirit of Christmas.
  • Conversely, other customers appreciate the uniquely Australian aspect of the decoration, commending the retailer for straying from traditional snow-themed decorations.
  • Despite the controversy, Bunnings has confirmed that the Christmas decoration will remain on sale and is only available in-store due to 'low stock' online.

What do you think of the Outlaw Santa? Would you consider getting one? Let us know in the comments below!
Yeah why not.

The Dutch are credited with transporting the legend of Saint Nicholas (Sinterklaas) to New Amsterdam (now New York City), along with the custom of giving gifts and sweets to children on his feast day, December 6. The current depiction of Santa Claus is based on images drawn by cartoonist Thomas Nast for Harper’s Weekly beginning in 1863. Nast’s Santa owed much to the description given in the poem “A Visit from St. Nicholas” (also known as “’Twas the Night Before Christmas”), first published in 1823. The image was further defined by the popular Santa Claus advertisements created for the Coca-Cola Company from 1931 by illustrator Haddon Sundblum. Sundblum’s Santa was a portly white-bearded gentleman dressed in a red suit with a black belt and white fur trim, black boots, and a soft red cap.

The Dutch are credited with transporting the legend of Saint Nicholas (Sinterklaas) to New Amsterdam (now New York City), along with the custom of giving gifts and sweets to children on his feast day, December 6. The current depiction of Santa Claus is based on images drawn by cartoonist Thomas Nast for Harper’s Weekly beginning in 1863. Nast’s Santa owed much to the description given in the poem “A Visit from St. Nicholas” (also known as “’Twas the Night Before Christmas”), first published in 1823. The image was further defined by the popular Santa Claus advertisements created for the Coca-Cola Company from 1931 by illustrator Haddon Sundblum. Sundblum’s Santa was a portly white-bearded gentleman dressed in a red suit with a black belt and white fur trim, black boots, and a soft red cap.
love the history