Bunnings under fire for its controversial and 'tacky' Christmas decoration

Christmas is a time for joy and celebration where families come together, enjoy the holidays, and remember all the things we have to be grateful for.

Decorations flood the market as soon as the calendar hits October. But with several modern Christmas decorations hitting the shelves, there’s one particular item that drew flak online.

This item is making headlines for its polarising nature rather than its festive cheer. We’re talking about Bunnings' Outlaw Santa ($119), an inflatable figure bearing an uncanny resemblance to Australian bushranger Ned Kelly.

At first glance, the figure looks like your typical Santa Claus. He's seated atop a chestnut pony while carrying a large sack of toys and wearing the usual Santa hat.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 10.16.44 AM.png
Bunnings received comments online for its controversial Outlaw Santa Christmas decoration. Credit: Bunnings

However, Santa's helmet is not the traditional one we’re used to seeing, but rather one modelled after the one made famous by Ned Kelly himself.

This naturally caused an uproar among the Aussies online who saw the item as 'tacky and insensitive'.

'It is a no from me, it is losing the goodness of Christmas,' one user commented.

'No, it is tacky and in poor taste. It is one thing to include him in our history and another to celebrate him in this way. I think it is insulting,' another wrote.

A commenter online also mentioned that Ned Kelly was a murderer, specifically a police killer, and he shouldn’t be celebrated.

This comment was in reference to Ned Kelly being convicted of murder in 1880 when he and his gang ambushed and killed three police officers at Stringybark Creek, Victoria.

However, other users online thought it was fine.

One person said, ‘I would call him Neddy, I like him.’

‘Ned is a big part of our culture, he has just as much right to be part of Christmas as the kebabs and octopus! I'd say it's a descendent of the constable (can't remember his name right this second) who has a beef with it,’ a woman pointed out.

'That is one of the most Australian things I've ever seen good on them,' another commented.

Some people responded that they prefer any Aussie or Outback theme over snow-topped mountains, which doesn’t represent Christmas in Australia.

Despite the controversy, Bunnings revealed that the Outlaw Santa will still remain on sale in-store and on their website.

According to Adrian Pearce, Bunnings General Manager of Merchandise, ‘The inflatable Santa is part of our promotional items for Christmas that includes a wide range of festive inflatable designs this year.’

This is not the first time Bunnings received backlash on social media. Recently, Bunnings received comments online that the big retailers are putting up holiday decorations for sale, such as huge nutcrackers, earlier every year. You can check this story here.

Key Takeaways

• Bunnings Warehouse is facing criticism for its Outlaw Santa Christmas decoration, which resembles notorious Australian bushranger Ned Kelly.
  • Many customers have expressed their displeasure over the decoration, with comments ranging from it being 'tacky' to 'insulting' to the spirit of Christmas.
  • Conversely, other customers appreciate the uniquely Australian aspect of the decoration, commending the retailer for straying from traditional snow-themed decorations.
  • Despite the controversy, Bunnings has confirmed that the Christmas decoration will remain on sale and is only available in-store due to 'low stock' online.

What do you think of the Outlaw Santa? Would you consider getting one? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
The Dutch are credited with transporting the legend of Saint Nicholas (Sinterklaas) to New Amsterdam (now New York City), along with the custom of giving gifts and sweets to children on his feast day, December 6. The current depiction of Santa Claus is based on images drawn by cartoonist Thomas Nast for Harper’s Weekly beginning in 1863. Nast’s Santa owed much to the description given in the poem “A Visit from St. Nicholas” (also known as “’Twas the Night Before Christmas”), first published in 1823. The image was further defined by the popular Santa Claus advertisements created for the Coca-Cola Company from 1931 by illustrator Haddon Sundblum. Sundblum’s Santa was a portly white-bearded gentleman dressed in a red suit with a black belt and white fur trim, black boots, and a soft red cap.
You are correct but st Nicholas and Santa Claus are two different people . St Nicholas was a real man who was a priest that gave to the poor. Although there are many stories regarding him.

Then images were create and drawn by a Thomas Nast using St Nicholas as a guide only . Then an illustrater for coca cola added the red clothing.

Christmas is a time for joy and celebration where families come together, enjoy the holidays, and remember all the things we have to be grateful for.

Decorations flood the market as soon as the calendar hits October. But with several modern Christmas decorations hitting the shelves, there’s one particular item that drew flack online.

This item is making headlines for its polarising nature rather than its festive cheer. We’re talking about Bunnings' Outlaw Santa ($119), an inflatable figure bearing an uncanny resemblance to Australian bushranger Ned Kelly.

At first glance, the figure looks like your typical Santa Claus. He's seated atop a chestnut pony while carrying a large sack of toys and wearing the usual Santa hat.

View attachment 33212
Bunnings received comments online for its controversial Outlaw Santa Christmas decoration. Credit: Bunnings

However, Santa's helmet is not the traditional one we’re used to seeing, but rather one modelled after the one made famous by Ned Kelly himself.

This naturally caused an uproar among the Aussies online who saw the item as 'tacky and insensitive'.

'It is a no from me, it is losing the goodness of Christmas,' one user commented.

'No, it is tacky and in poor taste. It is one thing to include him in our history and another to celebrate him in this way. I think it is insulting,' another wrote.

A commenter online also mentioned that Ned Kelly was a murderer, specifically a police killer, and he shouldn’t be celebrated.

This comment was in reference to Ned Kelly being convicted of murder in 1880 when he and his gang ambushed and killed three police officers at Stringybark Creek, Victoria.

‘Ned is a big part of our culture, he has just as much right to be part of Christmas as the kebabs and octopus! I'd say it's a descendent of the constable (can't remember his name right this second) who has a beef with it,’ a woman pointed out.

'That is one of the most Australian things I've ever seen good on them,' another commented.

Some people responded that they prefer any Aussie or Outback theme over snow-topped mountains, which doesn’t represent Christmas in Australia.

Despite the controversy, Bunnings revealed that the Outlaw Santa will still remain on sale in-store and on their website.

According to Adrian Pearce, Bunnings General Manager of Merchandise, ‘The inflatable Santa is part of our promotional items for Christmas that includes a wide range of festive inflatable designs this year.’

This is not the first time Bunnings received backlash on social media. Recently, Bunnings received comments online that the big retailers are putting up holiday decorations for sale, such as huge nutcrackers, earlier every year. You can check this story here.

Key Takeaways

• Bunnings Warehouse is facing criticism for its Outlaw Santa Christmas decoration, which resembles notorious Australian bushranger Ned Kelly.
  • Many customers have expressed their displeasure over the decoration, with comments ranging from it being 'tacky' to 'insulting' to the spirit of Christmas.
  • Conversely, other customers appreciate the uniquely Australian aspect of the decoration, commending the retailer for straying from traditional snow-themed decorations.
  • Despite the controversy, Bunnings has confirmed that the Christmas decoration will remain on sale and is only available in-store due to 'low stock' online.

What do you think of the Outlaw Santa? Would you consider getting one? Let us know in the comments below!
If you don't like it - don't buy it!
if they don't sell many of them then they won't get them again.

Stupid outdoor crappy blow up item that one good puncture would stuff it up, let alone some @$$hole could easily pinch.
Personally, i wouldn't buy it. No better way to get the message to a store than items NOT selling to stop them having it again.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I did both cabbage leaves and vineleaves today . Pasta sounds interesting
Yeah they put mince in the leaves and roll them up then stick the spaghetti in like skewers and put them in a pan with pasta sauce and cook. It’s like eating spaghetti and meatballs.if I don’t have cabbage I use lettuce leaves.try it it’s yum. Put whatever herbs etc in you like I just use whatever my sis buys me.boy that was long winded😈

Yeah they put mince in the leaves and roll them up then stick the spaghetti in like skewers and put them in a pan with pasta sauce and cook. It’s like eating spaghetti and meatballs.if I don’t have cabbage I use lettuce leaves.try it it’s yum. Put whatever herbs etc in you like I just use whatever my sis buys me.boy that was long winded😈
I use mince, grated onion, rice, grated tomato and tomato paste. Then cook it slow on the stove. I cover with water and butter with a plate pressed down on top

I use mince, grated onion, rice, grated tomato and tomato paste. Then cook it slow on the stove. I cover with water and butter with a plate pressed down on top
It’s amazing what you can make with mince.i buy it but the magpies and ravens must have esp because shopping day there at the back door they get there fair share.the cat hates fresh mince and chicken.😈

Decorations flood the market as soon as the calendar hits October. But with several modern Christmas decorations hitting the shelves, there’s one particular item that drew flack online.

View attachment 33212

Key Takeaways

Please note that the use of "flack" is incorrect. FLACK is a press agent. a public relations flack. The word you seek is FLAK. "Strong criticism"

• Wow
We have many and varied cultures in Australia.
Some of them are not Christian, therefore don't recognise the Jesus factor.
I was talking to a friend about this. She has a child who practices the Hindu faith as do her parents.
She goes to a public school that celebrates Xmas in the European fashion, with snow and all that encompasses a winter Xmas. The damily has a Xmas day with a nice meal and gifts because that is the Western way. But the Christian aspect is not a part of it.
My friend has embraced our culture whilst not embracing the faith or credo of others. It is not for us to judge.
Now, with regard the Ned Kelly decoration. I'm not fussed, so, will not buy.
If they brought out a 6 Kangaroo sleigh with Santa in a summer set of clothes, I'd look at it.
Nothing to fuss about. Better to ignore Ned Claus.

Last edited:
Dashing through the bush
In a rusty Holden Ute
Kicking up the dust
Esky in the boot
Kelpie by my side
Singing Christmas songs
It’s summer time and I am in
My singlet, shorts & thongs

OH, JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS
JINGLE ALL THE WAY
CHRISTMAS IN AUSTRALIA
ON A SCORCHING SUMMER’S DAY
JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS
CHRISTMAS TIME IS BEAUT
OH WHAT FUN IT IS TO RIDE
IN A RUSTY HOLDEN UTE

Engine’s getting hot
Dodge the kangaroos
Swaggy climbs aboard
He is welcome too
All the family is there
Sitting by the pool
Christmas day, the Aussie way
By the barbecue!

Do you really know who Ned Kelly was ?

Have you studied or read the history of Ned Kelly ?

Do you think he was a bushranger on the same level as Robyn Hood or was he a cold blooded murderer?

The problem is that you’ve only presented two completely opposite options – “greatest rebel hero” or “murderous thug.” Can’t he be somewhere in-between?

He was a bushranger who stole horses and was locked up twice, once for assault and once for receiving a stolen horse. There’s evidence that in the latter case he didn’t know the horse was stolen but he was unable to convince a judge of that. The culture of the day was not particularly sympathetic to Irish Catholics like the Kellys.

After Ned’s mother was locked up on a questionable charge of attempted murder, the Kelly gang robbed some banks. In the process they not only took the money but destroyed the mortgage documents, making them particularly popular with people who had mortgages. I doubt that makes him the “greatest rebel hero” though.

Incidentally the judge who sentenced Ned’s mother to jail said at the time that if Ned were to appear before him, he would sentence him to 15 years jail - this is a judge deciding on the sentence in a hypothetical future trial where no evidence had been presented. When Ned heard about this he could quite reasonably have formed the opinion that he would not receive a fair trial.

At one stage police were tracking the gang through the bush. Finding only one officer at the police camp the gang captured him. When the other police returned there was a shootout and a police officer was shot and killed. At the time the police were authorised to shoot to kill which is no doubt what they were attempting to do. Whether this makes Ned Kelly a “murderous thug” is doubtful.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
If you don't like it - don't buy it!
if they don't sell many of them then they won't get them again.

Stupid outdoor crappy blow up item that one good puncture would stuff it up, let alone some @$$hole could easily pinch.
Personally, i wouldn't buy it. No better way to get the message to a store than items NOT selling to stop them having it again.
Or reading these posts😈

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Dashing through the bush
In a rusty Holden Ute
Kicking up the dust
Esky in the boot
Kelpie by my side
Singing Christmas songs
It’s summer time and I am in
My singlet, shorts & thongs

OH, JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS
JINGLE ALL THE WAY