Bunnings controversy: Customers seek policy change amid pet debate

In recent years, the presence of pets in public spaces has sparked contentious debates.

While some advocate for pet-friendly policies, others argue that many public areas designed initially for human activities are unsuitable for animal environments.

This debate often leads to heated discussions about cleanliness, safety, and pet owners' rights versus non-pet owners' preferences.

Customers at Bunnings expressed frustration over incidents involving dogs in store aisles, citing concerns about cleanliness and safety.

A photo shared on social media captured multiple dog droppings scattered along an aisle, prompting an outcry among shoppers.

‘I’m probably going to get roasted for this, but I am so b***** sick of dogs and their owners at Bunnings,’ the customer shared in the post.

1720573749662.png
Bunnings customers are upset by dogs in store aisles. Credit: Reddit

‘At my last visit, there was literal dog s*** in the aisle.’

The customer recounted quickly locating a staff member, only to return and find another shopper had inadvertently rolled over the mess with their trolley.

The image sparked criticism from fellow Bunnings patrons, many of whom voiced concerns about the store's pet-friendly policy.

‘I think people who leave their dog s*** in the aisles should be banned from Bunnings permanently,’ one social media user commented.

‘Dogs should be allowed, but there should be a cleaning policy. If you let your dog s*** and don’t even bother to pick it up, you should get a lifetime ban from that Bunnings. Absolutely trash behaviour,’ another said.

Bunnings' Chief Customer Officer, Rachael McVitty, responded to the incident, noting that the company has welcomed pets into their stores for many years.

She emphasised the importance of receiving customer feedback and maintaining a safe and welcoming environment for all patrons.

‘Like many other retailers that offer pet products, we take a commonsense approach when welcoming dogs into our stores.’ she announced.

‘The feedback we receive shows that the vast majority of pet owners are respectful of other customers and our team when they’re in our stores,’

‘We work hard to make sure our stores are safe, welcoming environments for everyone, and we’re disappointed to hear that one of our customers had a negative experience.’

‘We encourage any customer to reach out to one of our team members if they see or experience something we should be aware of so we can resolve it on the spot.’

Bunnings' store permits assistance animals and ‘well-behaved’ pets on a leash.

According to the store policy, owners are responsible for completely controlling their pets and cleaning up after them. Failure to do so may result in owners being asked to remove their pets from the store.

Additionally, they can provide pet owners with dog bags and cleaning cloths if requested.

The customer mentioned previous incidents involving dogs causing disturbances, including a dog entangling its leash around another customer's legs and a ‘dog fight’ at the service desk.

The discussion has led to debates over whether non-service dogs should be allowed inside stores like Bunnings.

‘You don’t take your dog when you get a haircut, browse for clothes, try on shoes, go to the library or a plethora of public places of business. Bunnings shouldn’t be any different,’ one said.

‘I actually don’t understand the need for the general population to take their dogs to Bunnings. Why? Because you can?’ another agreed.

Others suggested a designated dog area outside the store for customers who insist on bringing their pets.

In related news, in a Guzman y Gomez restaurant in Sydney, a couple allowed their dog to sit on a table, triggering strong reactions from other diners.

A photo of the incident spread on social media, drawing criticism from many Australians who described the behaviour as 'disgusting' and 'unhygienic'. More details on this story are available here.
Key Takeaways

• Customers at Bunnings expressed frustration over incidents involving dogs in store aisles, particularly concerning cleanliness and safety.
  • A photo shared on social media showed multiple dog droppings in a Bunnings aisle, sparking criticism and calls for stricter pet behaviour policies.
  • Rachael McVitty, Bunnings' Chief Customer Officer, acknowledged the incident and emphasised the store's commitment to a safe and welcoming environment while encouraging customer feedback.
  • The incident has ignited debates over whether non-service dogs should be allowed in stores like Bunnings, with differing opinions on the appropriateness of bringing pets to such public places.
What do you think about bringing non-service dogs or pets to public places? How can we ensure other shoppers are not disturbed? Share your views and ideas in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
It is like the dog owners who allow their pet's to poop outside other people's properties and don't bother to clean them up. Some dog owners are so lazy, or they even come inside our property and put their dog's droppings in our bins. I am over it all. If you have a dog you are responsible for it, don't make everyone else clean up because you are lazy. As for dogs apart from assistance dogs in stores like Bunnings, no way. What if other customers are allergic to dog's coats who is reponsible for the allergic reaction? Maybe I should take my cat into Bunnings but I am a responsible owner and my cat belongs at home. :LOL:

Well, I take my dog to bunnings, it's her favourite place to go where she can smell the fertilisers and soils cause we always visit the nursery section. However, i make sure my dog goes the number 1 & especially number 2 before we head out anywhere. None the less, I always carry a poop bag just in case. I totally agree that owners who don't adhere to this should be banned from taking their pets to the store. The same reason I don't visit dog parks near me...dog poop everywhere and some owners just don't care. To those who walk their dogs near me, I always find poop on my front lawn.....I will catch the culprit one day. Makes you wonder what their own yard is like. I pick up after mine every day and I have three dogs...ones leaves what I call land mines. Owning a dog has responsibilities and when taking them out with you, you need to be considerate and responsible for them, otherwise leave them at home and let them sh.. in your home.
:poop::ROFLMAO:(n)

Last edited:
I don’t think dogs need to be in retail environments, there are plenty of parks for dogs to enjoy, also why should staff have to clean up the mess that dogs leave behind when irresponsible owners just walk off, many dogs urinate on plants in the garden centre, sorry dog owners but why should shoppers have to navigate dog droppings and buy peed on plants.🫤

I am an animal lover, but there is no need to take your dog to Bunnings or cafes restaurants any shops unless they are service dogs. As pointed out in the story dog droppings because the owner was not responsible to pick up. A dog could pee and someone slip on it. There is a time and place for pets and not at shopping places or food outlets.
Not everyone is an animal lover either. The risks to children and dog fights trip hazards with leads and small dogs.
Common sense seems to be hard to find these days.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I don’t think dogs need to be in retail environments, there are plenty of parks for dogs to enjoy, also why should staff have to clean up the mess that dogs leave behind when irresponsible owners just walk off, many dogs urinate on plants in the garden centre, sorry dog owners but why should shoppers have to navigate dog droppings and buy peed on plants.🫤
I totally agree with you. I do not want to be purchasing a plant with dog pee on it. I feel sorry the Bunnings Staff. I'd be p... off.

As a tradie and a long time Bunnings customer, I totally disagree with dogs being permitted in the store. Going to what is primarily a hardware store, should not be treated as a social outing. By all means, go to Bunnings, select and make your purchases. THEN, go home and get your dog and take them for a walk around the block, with a lead attached. As per council regulations. If the dog deficates. PICK IT UP. As per council regulations.

I have had dogs all my life and they have always been a huge part of our family but in my opinion dods should never be taken in public places like Bunnings, shopping centres restaurants . I just don't get why people would do so. Leave them at home

And because of this you won't be allowed to take your dog with you in the future.
Glad I shop online as I think it’s absolutely disgustingly gross🤢
Maybe they should make nappies for dogs make it mandatory to wear them and sell them at the door or no entry.🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Liz and Chris
The only for an animal in a shop is if the owner is blind? although for the life of me I fathom why someone who is blind would be doing in a hardware store. As far as the dog shit is concerned just put it on the shelf with the rest of the shit?

I agree, there is no need to take your dog to Bunnings. Some poor team member would have to pick up that shit, they don’t pay enough for that. The dog would be happier at home, it’s not as if you are going to be there for two days. Use your brains people.