Bunnings controversy: Customers seek policy change amid pet debate

In recent years, the presence of pets in public spaces has sparked contentious debates.

While some advocate for pet-friendly policies, others argue that many public areas designed initially for human activities are unsuitable for animal environments.

This debate often leads to heated discussions about cleanliness, safety, and pet owners' rights versus non-pet owners' preferences.

Customers at Bunnings expressed frustration over incidents involving dogs in store aisles, citing concerns about cleanliness and safety.

A photo shared on social media captured multiple dog droppings scattered along an aisle, prompting an outcry among shoppers.

‘I’m probably going to get roasted for this, but I am so b***** sick of dogs and their owners at Bunnings,’ the customer shared in the post.

1720573749662.png
Bunnings customers are upset by dogs in store aisles. Credit: Reddit

‘At my last visit, there was literal dog s*** in the aisle.’

The customer recounted quickly locating a staff member, only to return and find another shopper had inadvertently rolled over the mess with their trolley.

The image sparked criticism from fellow Bunnings patrons, many of whom voiced concerns about the store's pet-friendly policy.

‘I think people who leave their dog s*** in the aisles should be banned from Bunnings permanently,’ one social media user commented.

‘Dogs should be allowed, but there should be a cleaning policy. If you let your dog s*** and don’t even bother to pick it up, you should get a lifetime ban from that Bunnings. Absolutely trash behaviour,’ another said.

Bunnings' Chief Customer Officer, Rachael McVitty, responded to the incident, noting that the company has welcomed pets into their stores for many years.

She emphasised the importance of receiving customer feedback and maintaining a safe and welcoming environment for all patrons.

‘Like many other retailers that offer pet products, we take a commonsense approach when welcoming dogs into our stores.’ she announced.

‘The feedback we receive shows that the vast majority of pet owners are respectful of other customers and our team when they’re in our stores,’

‘We work hard to make sure our stores are safe, welcoming environments for everyone, and we’re disappointed to hear that one of our customers had a negative experience.’

‘We encourage any customer to reach out to one of our team members if they see or experience something we should be aware of so we can resolve it on the spot.’

Bunnings' store permits assistance animals and ‘well-behaved’ pets on a leash.

According to the store policy, owners are responsible for completely controlling their pets and cleaning up after them. Failure to do so may result in owners being asked to remove their pets from the store.

Additionally, they can provide pet owners with dog bags and cleaning cloths if requested.

The customer mentioned previous incidents involving dogs causing disturbances, including a dog entangling its leash around another customer's legs and a ‘dog fight’ at the service desk.

The discussion has led to debates over whether non-service dogs should be allowed inside stores like Bunnings.

‘You don’t take your dog when you get a haircut, browse for clothes, try on shoes, go to the library or a plethora of public places of business. Bunnings shouldn’t be any different,’ one said.

‘I actually don’t understand the need for the general population to take their dogs to Bunnings. Why? Because you can?’ another agreed.

Others suggested a designated dog area outside the store for customers who insist on bringing their pets.

In related news, in a Guzman y Gomez restaurant in Sydney, a couple allowed their dog to sit on a table, triggering strong reactions from other diners.

A photo of the incident spread on social media, drawing criticism from many Australians who described the behaviour as 'disgusting' and 'unhygienic'. More details on this story are available here.
Key Takeaways

• Customers at Bunnings expressed frustration over incidents involving dogs in store aisles, particularly concerning cleanliness and safety.
  • A photo shared on social media showed multiple dog droppings in a Bunnings aisle, sparking criticism and calls for stricter pet behaviour policies.
  • Rachael McVitty, Bunnings' Chief Customer Officer, acknowledged the incident and emphasised the store's commitment to a safe and welcoming environment while encouraging customer feedback.
  • The incident has ignited debates over whether non-service dogs should be allowed in stores like Bunnings, with differing opinions on the appropriateness of bringing pets to such public places.
What do you think about bringing non-service dogs or pets to public places? How can we ensure other shoppers are not disturbed? Share your views and ideas in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I think owners of dogs should leave them at home. How disgusting to be walking in an isle with dog “sh t” everywhere and I don’t think Bunnings staff should have to clean it up. I think non service dogs should be banned from all shops.

Reactions: Liz and Aussiecris
Bunnings should charge a $100 cleaning fee to owners of dog who let their dog shit in the isles and leave it. The person who has to clean it up shouId get the $100. I agree that dogs should not be allowed into any stores.
My entitled neighbour, Queen Shit from Turd Island, AKA Karen, would allow her dogs to do that and expect someone to clean it up for her. She never picks after her dog shit on the street either.

• Angry
Reactions: Jen77au and Liz
You take your dog anywhere, you clean up after it. End of story!
Problem is that there are lots of drop-kick dog owners who don't.

I do clean up after mine and I throw the bags in my own garbage bin.

But, I regularly find other dog owners' shit on my front lawn. Will be installing cameras to capture images that I'll send to the council.

Reactions: Jen77au and Liz
Big deal ..who cares get a life ..the only sad thing is the dog owner didn't have the decency to pick it up
What do you mean "who cares", the shit:

1. Was smelly, fresh dog shit stinks;

2. Was rolled on by a trolley dirtying that item;

3. Was spread across the floor;

4. Created a slip hazard;

5. Created a cleaning task for a staff member.

Meanwhile the son of a bitch bastard owner walked away Scott free.

Reactions: Liz
If Bunnings prohibited pets (especially dogs and cats) from their stores then we wouldn't really be having these shitty problems. But because they do, they allow people to enter their stores who may not have the same consideration and respect one would expect from other shoppers. Therefore, it's Bunnings responsibility to ensure that they employ someone in each store to be on Poo Patrol, responsible for cleaning the poo that the dog customer's (i.e. the customer who is an absolute dog) pet leaves behind.

Reactions: Jen77au
This fur baby thing is getting totally out of control. You are an owner, you did not give birth. Bunnings should get tougher as it is an OH&S nightmare in the making.
Exactly.

You own the pet and what comes out of it so carry a frigging plastic bag, pick your shit (you own it) up and put it in a public garbage bin or your own garbage bin.

As a dog mum, I am disgusted by this behaviour! My dogs are my children because I couldn't have human children so I poured my love into them instead! There are many responsible pet owners and the few doing the wrong thing give the rest of us a bad name.

Reactions: Littleboy8
If Bunnings prohibited pets (especially dogs and cats) from their stores then we wouldn't really be having these shitty problems. But because they do, they allow people to enter their stores who may not have the same consideration and respect one would expect from other shoppers. Therefore, it's Bunnings responsibility to ensure that they employ someone in each store to be on Poo Patrol, responsible for cleaning the poo that the dog customer's (i.e. the customer who is an absolute dog) pet leaves behind.
While I agree the store needs to be kept clean for everyone, as a dog mum I would be extremely embarrassed it someone else had to clean up after my dogs! People who own pets need to do better. If the pet isn't trained, don't take them into the store. One of my girls doesn't have outing privileges yet because even though she's 19 months old, we only rescued her 2 months ago and she still needs a lot of essential training that she never received from the puppy farm she came from!

Reactions: Littleboy8
The other day I saw a dog in a trolley at Spotlight. A little fluffy white one with sprayed pink ears and tail. The lady/owner was Japanese.
If my dogs (I had small senior dogs, who couldn't be left home alone due to health issues) needed to be put in a trolley, I would put a box and then their blanket in it. I also carrying sanitizing wipes to wipe trolleys after use. It may be a hardware store and things aren't as immaculate as other stores but the owners still need to take responsibility to clean up after their pets!

I'm a dog owner. A responsible one and I often see many other responsible owners with poo bags walking their dogs, collecting their shit and taking it with them.

I've also seen the other kind who don't clean up. In my experience, they fall in to 2 categories:

1. The 2 legged animals that don't carry anything for clean ups and are aggressive when reminded to clean up.

One bagless b......d recently responded with:

"He's only pissing"

My reply:

"So is that all it does, you've trained it to only do that?"

On other days, I've seen this same owner sweep or kick his dog shit into the gutter and the storm water drain.

2. The other kind. Pretenders that do carry poo bags. When their dog shits, they look around furtively to see if anyone has seen them. If they deem the coast to be clear they yank that leash and sneak away.

The above (1 & 2) types are the ones who'd walk away in Bunnings.

Reactions: Jen77au
Problem is that there are lots of drop-kick dog owners who don't.

I do clean up after mine and I throw the bags in my own garbage bin.

But, I regularly find other dog owners' shit on my front lawn. Will be installing cameras to capture images that I'll send to the council.
And if by chance they do pick it up, they use your bin!

Reactions: Annna
I'm a dog owner. A responsible one and I often see many other responsible owners with poo bags walking their dogs, collecting their shit and taking it with them.

I've also seen the other kind who don't clean up. In my experience, they fall in to 2 categories:

1. The 2 legged animals that don't carry anything for clean ups and are aggressive when reminded to clean up.

One bagless b......d recently responded with:

"He's only pissing"

My reply:

"So is that all it does, you've trained it to only do that?"

On other days, I've seen this same owner sweep or kick his dog shit into the gutter and the storm water drain.

2. The other kind. Pretenders that do carry poo bags. When their dog shits, they look around furtively to see if anyone has seen them. If they deem the coast to be clear they yank that leash and sneak away.

The above (1 & 2) types are the ones who'd walk away in Bunnings.
Oh I’d have loved to be by your side when you replied! And you’re correct, they’re usually the aggressive ones who have a dog for show. My dogs are family. Many people don’t understand why they mean so much to me. I wanted children when I was growing up. It’s pretty much all I wanted, was to be a great mother like mine was and hers before her. I couldn’t have them physically. I’m not looking for sympathy, just an understanding that just because I couldn’t have children, it doesn’t mean I can’t pass on my love and mothering experience to another living creature. I do take my dogs with me quite often. My late seniors who had medical issues and the two girls I now have, are all rescued and have come from horrible situations. I strive to make sure they know they will never be forgotten or abused ever again. They are completely loved and like children, need to be taught how to behave but to also be shown love as well. They like children who come from broken homes, etc don’t ask to be treated badly, nor do they deserve it.

Just asking for a little understanding of how us ‘Furparents’ Think

Reactions: Annna