Beyond stereotypes: How an all-male disability service agency is revolutionising senior care

In an industry often perceived to have no space for men, two tradie mates from the Gold Coast are challenging stereotypes* and paving the way for a more inclusive approach to disability support*.

Jack and Brandon, best friends for over 14 years, have taken their shared experiences and passion for making a difference to create KD Community*, a disability support agency with a unique twist*.

Their journey was built on a foundation of shared humour, ethical values*, and personal adversity.

This unique bond and understanding of overcoming challenges have fueled their desire to make a positive impact* in the lives of others.

img_0445.jpeg
Jack (right) and Brandon (left) created a unique disability support agency. Image source: KD Community

‘I truly believe that the best support workers* have gone through their own bad experiences or hardship, and I know mine has shaped me into the man I am today,’ shared Jack, who lost his father to cancer at 14 years old.

The duo is acutely aware of the stigmas and misconceptions that often surround male support workers* in the disability sector.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), women are more likely to take on the job of a carer (12 per cent) than men* (9 per cent).

This phenomenon is frequently explained by various social and economic factors* and beliefs*. For example, there is a stigma that caring for others is primarily a role for women, and working in the caregiving sector* is not considered a ‘legitimate job’ for men.

However, KD Community* is on a mission to change these perceptions by showcasing the incredible value that male support workers* can offer.

Brandon stated: ‘We want to show what true masculinity is, and that’s supporting others to live their best lives and putting other people first*.’

img_0443.jpeg
The agency aims to break the stigma around male support workers. Image source: KD Community

Their goal is to provide a service that not only meets the practical needs of their clients but also enriches their lives through meaningful connections and support*.

‘Disabilities can be from birth, an illness or an accident and people with a disability* shouldn’t be discriminated against or be made to feel any less worthy. We want everyone to have the same opportunities,’ Jack explained.

KD Community* stands out with its commitment to offering 24/7 services* across the Gold Coast, Brisbane, and nearby suburbs.

Their exceptional team of male disability support workers* is dedicated to providing a comprehensive range of services* that are customised to the unique needs* of each individual they serve.

img_0444.jpeg
KD Community offers 24/7 services across Gold Coast, Brisbane and nearby suburbs. Image source: KD Community

From companionship* and in-home support* to assistance* with community access and participation, KD Community's workers are there to empower and help their clients* in every aspect of their lives.

The agency's approach is rooted in the belief that everyone deserves quality care* and that diversity in the support workforce can bring a valuable and different dimension to the assistance* they provide.

Phil*, one of their clients, shared: ‘They're very good at helping out. Anything I need, all I've got to do is ring them, and the boys will do the best they can* to help me out in any situation.’

‘They'll take me shopping*; they'll even take me to the pub if that’s what I feel like. They take me to appointments* or my doctor, physio. Wherever I need to go, the boys are there for me at the drop of a hat,’ he added.

Tiffany*, another participant, said: ‘You can see that [they] really want to make a difference* and change people's lives, which is since very personalised*.’

‘My husband has been receiving support* from Jack and the other wonderful guys at KD Community* for over 3 years now. We had struggled to find a consistent care provider* [...] until Jack came along,’ a third client named Julia stated.

‘He was a life-changer* for us both, and now, instead of my husband feeling like he is being looked after, he feels more independent* and looks forward to his time with the guys each week. I am now free to look after myself a lot more now that I know he is happy and receiving the best care*,’ she continued.

To ensure a perfect match* between the partner and their support worker, KD Community* offers an initial free in-home visit*.

This allows the team to meet potential people to help, understand their specific needs*, and assess how best to support them. It's a testament to their commitment to providing personalised* and thoughtful care*.

img_0446.jpeg
KD Community provides personalised care for their partners. Image source: KD Community

Being the Gold Coast's exclusive agency* comprised solely of male disability support workers*, they believe that their unique perspective not only ensures quality care* but also celebrates diversity* within the community.

For further information about KD Community* and the services* it offers, feel free to reach out to the agency* by phone at (07) 5699 0600 or via email at [email protected].

They can also assist in maximising National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funding for social activities*, community engagement*, self-care*, and various options within a person’s NDIS Package, accommodating both plan-managed* and self-managed* participants.

The story of KD Community* is a powerful reminder that breaking down barriers and challenging norms can lead to extraordinary outcomes. It's about seeing the potential in every individual and recognising that diversity in care* can lead to a richer, more supportive community for all.

*Please note, members, that this is a sponsored article. All content that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission when you click on a link—at no cost to you! We do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!

Sponsored
It is great to see male care workers being more accepted. When my mother in law was in the nursing home she always told me the male carers were much more gentle and patient than a lot of female ones.
Having worked in aged care for 36yrs I agree male nurses are very caring, but don't mistake patience for males being more laid back than females. How many times we came behind the males and made the bed or picked up the clothes out of the shower.

Having worked in aged care for 36yrs I agree male nurses are very caring, but don't mistake patience for males being more laid back than females. How many times we came behind the males and made the bed or picked up the clothes out of the shower.
Indeed; we males may be messy devils needing mum to pick up after we have done the job, but.....

Indeed; we males may be messy devils needing mum to pick up after we have done the job, but.....
but like I said they are usually the most caring and considerate. I had a male RN in intensive care when I had a major surgery. He was amazing and I was sorry when he was replaced by a female as she had nowhere near the empathy he had. Still doesn't alter the fact we had to make the beds.

This is wonderful news, here in NSW we don't have as many men helping the disabled as well .I have met a few of these men and they are lovely also to see them with the people in their charge is wonderful. 🤩

Go for it Guys. I have worked in Both Facility and Community. Certainly need more Males in both roles. A Friend, long passed, prefered a Male. She didn`t need Personal Care, but found the Male workers where more considerate, Friendly and Helpful. Also she could have a shower when they turned up, and knew if she had a fall, she would be OK. Keep up the Great Work.

Reactions: Ezzy
More likely the low pay is the primary reason guys don't take up care rolls. Or the stigma that still exists in the sector that their sexuality is threatened. Traditional gender roles changes take decades to flow through. Look at child care, not too many males in that industry for similar reasoning.

I was a male carer for a Quadriplegic, who needed 24hr. care. wend one other male carer who was lazy and not very hygienic, made life notes good for the client and other carers. I loved the job after coming from working with stock for twenty years,We had a team of 10 carers' and it was a good mix. Only one bad apple in the lot and he was male.

Reactions: Ezzy