Beat the winter chill and save big with this 'unlikely' household item

Winter is sneaking up on us faster than we can say 'hot cuppa'! And as much as we're looking forward to some time spent all cosy and warm at home, we can all agree that keeping our homes warm and toasty can be a major challenge, especially with the current cost of electricity and gas.

We all know those dreaded energy bills seem to skyrocket as soon as the temperature drops.

But don't worry because we've stumbled upon a 'secret' solution that won't drain your bank account and will transform your home into a winter wonderland. Can you guess what it is?

Drumroll, please... It's curtains! Yes, you read that correctly. Those unassuming pieces of fabric hanging in your windows hold the power to save you money and keep your place toasty all season long.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 2.06.39 PM.png
Properly fitted curtains can significantly reduce energy bills and keep homes warmer during winter. Credit: Unsplash/Egor Myznik.

Now, you might be thinking, 'How on earth can curtains make such a huge difference?' Well, buckle up because we're about to spill the beans. Sure, curtains may seem like mere decorative items, but they're actually multitasking.

Not only do they add a pop of colour, comfort, and your personal style to any room, or provide much-needed privacy and block out that annoying excess light for a glorious night of beauty sleep.

But here's the real deal: curtains have another weapon up their fabric sleeves – they can seriously amp up your home's temperature and energy efficiency.

By simply closing your curtains during those chilly winter nights, you create an extra layer of insulation between your cosy abode and the cold outdoors. This means less heat escapes and more warmth stays right where you want it—inside!

Of course, let's not forget about the money-saving benefits, either. When you prevent precious heat from escaping through your windows, your trusty heating system won't have to work as hard to keep the temperature just right.

That's right; you can finally ditch the guilt that comes with turning on the heater. And with less energy being consumed, you'll be giving your wallet a well-deserved break too.

heat loss (1).jpg

Did you know that your windows could be responsible for a whopping 22 to 30 per cent of heat loss in your home?

Extensive research conducted by BRANZ (Building Research Association of New Zealand), Beacon Pathway, and the Sustainability Trust has unveiled an incredible secret: curtains, when chosen wisely and fitted properly, can work wonders in reducing window heat loss. In fact, they can be just as effective as double-glazing!

So, what makes the perfect curtain, you ask? According to the same study, long, luxurious drapes that are thickly lined and hung on a track mounted super close to the wall are the way to go.

This clever setup creates a barrier, keeping the chilly air out and the toasty warmth inside where it belongs.

Key Takeaways

• Windows can account for up to 30% of heat loss in homes. However, curtains, when properly fitted, can be almost as effective as double-glazing in reducing window heat loss.
  • Thick, long curtains with lining and a close-to-the-wall track are ideal for creating a cosy barrier and reducing energy bills.

Of course, such luxurious drapes can sometimes be a costly investment. However, we've discovered some clever tips from Sarah Heeringa at 9Honey to keep the costs down while still achieving an effective and stylish curtain upgrade.

Here are some budget-friendly suggestions to make your curtains work harder this winter:

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 2.06.28 PM.png
Store-bought curtains aren't your only options; you can buy pre-loved or material and sew your own. Credit: Unsplash/J Shim.

1. Double up on curtains: Keep an eye out for sales or hunt online for extra sets of curtains. Simply use additional curtain hooks to attach the second set at the back of your existing curtains, effectively doubling their insulation power. Plus, it will give your drapes a thicker, more luxurious appearance.

2. Second-hand curtains: Give second-hand curtains a go – you never know what treasures you might find! Sarah once bought an entire school hall's worth of blue velvet curtains for a mere $350, which turned out to be a great investment. Slightly modify the dimensions if necessary with some basic sewing skills, and you'll have a beautiful and functional set of curtains in no time.

3. Wool blankets as liners: Check out op shops for wool blankets or even try polar fleece blankets. Attach them to the back of your curtains using sewing or safety pins to provide added insulation without breaking the bank.

4. DIY curtains: If you're up for a challenge, sewing your own curtains using discounted, quality fabric can be not only a money-saving option but also a highly satisfying DIY project. Op shops often have a limited range of curtains and fabrics, so you never know what gems you may come across.

Wow, who knew that something as simple as curtains could have such a huge impact on our homes during winter? But wait, there's more! We've got another tip that will help you keep your home warm and cosy while saving money on your energy bills.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 2.06.21 PM.png
Some people have discovered that using bubble wrap on windows can help keep their houses warm during winter and potentially reduce their electricity bills. Credit: Unsplash/cottonbro studio.

Introducing...bubble wrap! That's right, the same stuff we use to protect fragile items can also help insulate our windows and keep the cold air out. Simply cut the bubble wrap to fit your window panes, spray a little water on the glass, and press the wrap onto the surface.

Voila! You've created a makeshift double-glazing effect that will help keep the warm air inside where it belongs. Check out our article here for more information about this method.

So, are you ready to give these tips a try? Do you already have thick, luxurious curtains that keep your home cosy during winter? Or maybe you have some other tricks up your sleeve for keeping your house warm and inviting?

We want to hear from you! Share your thoughts and ideas in the comments below. Let's all work together to make this winter season the cosiest one yet!

Sponsored
I have blockout curtains at my glass back door which I close come late afternoon and in hot summer days they are closed all day.

I have blockout shutters which work wonders.

What works wonders on my front door is a double sided draught stopper which connects to the bottom of your door both sides so it's double protection
Available at bunnings or in line at Tempo
Screenshot_20230522-094654_Gallery.jpg

Winter is sneaking up on us faster than we can say 'hot cuppa'! And as much as we're looking forward to some time spent all cosy and warm at home, we can all agree that keeping our homes warm and toasty can be a major challenge, especially with the current cost of electricity and gas.

We all know those dreaded energy bills seem to skyrocket as soon as the temperature drops.

But don't worry because we've stumbled upon a 'secret' solution that won't drain your bank account and will transform your home into a winter wonderland. Can you guess what it is?

Drumroll, please... It's curtains! Yes, you read that correctly. Those unassuming pieces of fabric hanging in your windows hold the power to save you money and keep your place toasty all season long.

View attachment 19831
Properly fitted curtains can significantly reduce energy bills and keep homes warmer during winter. Credit: Unsplash/Egor Myznik.

Now, you might be thinking, 'How on earth can curtains make such a huge difference?' Well, buckle up because we're about to spill the beans. Sure, curtains may seem like mere decorative items, but they're actually multitasking.

Not only do they add a pop of colour, comfort, and your personal style to any room, or provide much-needed privacy and block out that annoying excess light for a glorious night of beauty sleep.

But here's the real deal: curtains have another weapon up their fabric sleeves – they can seriously amp up your home's temperature and energy efficiency.

By simply closing your curtains during those chilly winter nights, you create an extra layer of insulation between your cosy abode and the cold outdoors. This means less heat escapes and more warmth stays right where you want it—inside!

Of course, let's not forget about the money-saving benefits, either. When you prevent precious heat from escaping through your windows, your trusty heating system won't have to work as hard to keep the temperature just right.

That's right; you can finally ditch the guilt that comes with turning on the heater. And with less energy being consumed, you'll be giving your wallet a well-deserved break too.

Did you know that your windows could be responsible for a whopping 22 to 30 per cent of heat loss in your home?

Extensive research conducted by BRANZ (Building Research Association of New Zealand), Beacon Pathway, and the Sustainability Trust has unveiled an incredible secret: curtains, when chosen wisely and fitted properly, can work wonders in reducing window heat loss. In fact, they can be just as effective as double-glazing!

So, what makes the perfect curtain, you ask? According to the same study, long, luxurious drapes that are thickly lined and hung on a track mounted super close to the wall are the way to go.

This clever setup creates a barrier, keeping the chilly air out and the toasty warmth inside where it belongs.

Key Takeaways

• Windows can account for up to 30% of heat loss in homes. However, curtains, when properly fitted, can be almost as effective as double-glazing in reducing window heat loss.
  • Thick, long curtains with lining and a close-to-the-wall track are ideal for creating a cosy barrier and reducing energy bills.

Of course, such luxurious drapes can sometimes be a costly investment. However, we've discovered some clever tips from Sarah Heeringa at 9Honey to keep the costs down while still achieving an effective and stylish curtain upgrade.

Here are some budget-friendly suggestions to make your curtains work harder this winter:

View attachment 19832
Store-bought curtains aren't your only options; you can buy pre-loved or material and sew your own. Credit: Unsplash/J Shim.

1. Double up on curtains: Keep an eye out for sales or hunt online for extra sets of curtains. Simply use additional curtain hooks to attach the second set at the back of your existing curtains, effectively doubling their insulation power. Plus, it will give your drapes a thicker, more luxurious appearance.

2. Second-hand curtains: Give second-hand curtains a go – you never know what treasures you might find! Sarah once bought an entire school hall's worth of blue velvet curtains for a mere $350, which turned out to be a great investment. Slightly modify the dimensions if necessary with some basic sewing skills, and you'll have a beautiful and functional set of curtains in no time.

3. Wool blankets as liners: Check out op shops for wool blankets or even try polar fleece blankets. Attach them to the back of your curtains using sewing or safety pins to provide added insulation without breaking the bank.

4. DIY curtains: If you're up for a challenge, sewing your own curtains using discounted, quality fabric can be not only a money-saving option but also a highly satisfying DIY project. Op shops often have a limited range of curtains and fabrics, so you never know what gems you may come across.

Wow, who knew that something as simple as curtains could have such a huge impact on our homes during winter? But wait, there's more! We've got another tip that will help you keep your home warm and cosy while saving money on your energy bills.

View attachment 19833
Some people have discovered that using bubble wrap on windows can help keep their houses warm during winter and potentially reduce their electricity bills. Credit: Unsplash/cottonbro studio.

Introducing...bubble wrap! That's right, the same stuff we use to protect fragile items can also help insulate our windows and keep the cold air out. Simply cut the bubble wrap to fit your window panes, spray a little water on the glass, and press the wrap onto the surface.

Voila! You've created a makeshift double-glazing effect that will help keep the warm air inside where it belongs. Check out our article here for more information about this method.

So, are you ready to give these tips a try? Do you already have thick, luxurious curtains that keep your home cosy during winter? Or maybe you have some other tricks up your sleeve for keeping your house warm and inviting?

We want to hear from you! Share your thoughts and ideas in the comments below. Let's all work together to make this winter season the cosiest one yet!

this should be taken into consideration when building a house. The builders today look for cheapest construction methods. To overcome the heating problem I trim styrene lids from the broccoli containers to fit my windows and that seals the rooms.

when we bought our house it had those terrible vertical blinds to all the windows,,I seriously hate them,,they are the worst cover for any window plus they aren't private enough for me,,there was curtains also but only side panels and a frill at the top,,,,didn't take me long to fix that,,we had heavy curtains made for the lounge and dining room,,from the side curtains we had curtains made for the main bedroom but as they were to light we had rubber backing made for them and I had a pair made for another bedroom,,it really didn't cost a lot but I'm thinking we have saved already by hanging full and heavy curtains

I bit the Bullet and installed Roller Shutters. They ARE expensive but have many benefits. Variable settings of opening to suit the weather. Reduces outside noise hugely. Offer very good security and, of course, lock in or out heat and vice versa.

I will just put on a warm jumper to keep warm. I don’t like curtains that’s why l have Plantain shutters
The Coral Jacquard Kmart blanket is the best ever and just wrap around your legs. Even two at $22 each and comes in grey, navy blue and white. (Double/Queen ... one size and is a queen size). My cats have the grey one and I have the navy and about to get the white ones as well for myself.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/coral-jacquard-blanket-doublequeen-bed-grey-43222315/

Thanks for telling me something I never knew! Always had curtains to draw to keep out heat or cold!!! Not the remotest bit newsworthy!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540 and Liz
I love curtains, it makes a house more of a home I think. We have vertical blinds and curtains on every window. I always make my own, the last time I had to replace the lace curtains in the kitchen and dining area I got my 14 year old granddaughter who is learning to sew, and loving it, to sew them up under my guidance. They look great. She was so pleased with herself.

Reactions: Zoya and Anoush
I love curtains, it makes a house more of a home I think. We have vertical blinds and curtains on every window. I always make my own, the last time I had to replace the lace curtains in the kitchen and dining area I got my 14 year old granddaughter who is learning to sew, and loving it, to sew them up under my guidance. They look great. She was so pleased with herself.
I agree curtains do make a house more homely.
I always wished I could sew , that's the one thing I'm very basic at , and I'm talking taking up a hem or sewing a button on.

What a wonderful learning experience for your granddaughter and a memory that will last a life time

Reactions: Anoush