Australians Beware: The Shocking Dangers of the New Anti-Speeding System Revealed!

As we cruise into the future, technology is taking the wheel more than ever before. But what happens when innovation in the name of safety starts to backfire? That's the question many Australian drivers are asking as they brace for the potential arrival of the European Union's latest automotive law – the Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) system.

From July this year, the EU has rolled out what could be one of the most divisive pieces of legislation in the history of driving. The ISA system is designed to ensure drivers adhere to speed limits by using cameras and GPS data to monitor the vehicle's speed against the posted limit. If the car exceeds the limit by as little as 1km/h for a few seconds, the system springs into action, warning the driver through a variety of means – from audible signals and dashboard alerts to automatic engine power reduction and even physical feedback from the accelerator pedal.

compressed-shutterstock_2454008595.jpeg
The European Union's new ‘Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA)’ system to enforce speed limits has sparked controversy. Credit: Shutterstock

This law, which took effect last month in Europe, requires all new cars sold after that date to have the ISA system enabled by default, with no option to turn it off permanently. While this system isn't mandated in Australia yet, some manufacturers are already sending vehicles with the ISA enabled to our shores.

After spending over a month with a vehicle equipped with ISA, it's become clear that this well-intentioned safety feature may have some unintended and dangerous consequences. The system's zero-tolerance approach to speed limit enforcement, with no margin for error, has led to a significant increase in driver distraction and frustration. For instance, the speedometers in most cars are calibrated to over-report speed slightly, meaning that a car beeping at you for doing 60km/h is likely accusing you of speeding when you're not.

The lack of a buffer zone is a glaring oversight. Speed cameras in Queensland, for example, allow a 10% margin before issuing a ticket. A similar buffer for ISA would prevent the system from penalizing drivers for negligible speed infractions.

Moreover, the inability to permanently disable the ISA system means drivers are forced to navigate through complex vehicle menus while driving, which is a distraction in itself. Some manufacturers, like Hyundai, are introducing shortcuts to toggle the system off, but this is a workaround for a feature that many drivers didn't ask for and don't want.

The ISA system is just a step away from more invasive measures, such as using the vehicle to report speeding to authorities or even preventing the car from exceeding speed limits altogether. This raises serious concerns about the erosion of personal freedom and choice on the road.

In Australia, local authorities are keeping an eye on the ISA's rollout in Europe. There's little doubt that if deemed effective, similar mandates could be introduced here, citing data that links reduced speeding with fewer road fatalities. But at what cost to our autonomy and mental well-being?

Freedom of choice is a cornerstone of our society, and numerous studies have shown that the ability to choose is closely linked to happiness. While we at the Seniors Discount Club certainly don't advocate for reckless driving or endangering others, we do believe in the right to choose to comply with the law, rather than being forced into compliance.

As we navigate the road ahead, it's crucial to balance safety with common sense and personal freedom. The ISA system, in its current form, seems to tip that balance in a direction that could lead to more harm than good. It's time for drivers, lawmakers, and car manufacturers to engage in a serious dialogue about the future of driving and the role technology should play in it.
Key Takeaways
  • The European Union has introduced an 'Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA)' system to help drivers comply with speed limits, which has been met with controversy.
  • Vehicles with ISA will use cameras or GPS data to monitor speed limits and alert drivers if they exceed the limit, even by 1km/h, with various warning methods.
  • The ISA system, not yet mandated in Australia, has been criticised for increasing driver workload and distraction, as well as not allowing a margin for error.
  • There are concerns that the rise of such technology could lead to government mandates that eliminate the freedom to choose, with implications for personal freedom and autonomy.
What are your thoughts on the ISA system? Have you experienced it in a new vehicle, or are you concerned about its potential implementation in Australia? Share your views in the comments below, and let's discuss the road ahead for Australian drivers.

Sponsored
That God my car doesn't have it. The road to our nearest town has a 100k speed limit, but some people drive at 70-80ks. These people when you attempt to overtake them suddenly go fast which means I have to exceed the speed to get round. Having a speed limiter would cause accidents. There are enough bells and whistles in modern cars now that are a distraction. In ours it keeps telling us to have a cup of coffee, sometimes after only 20 mins of driving.

When are authorities going to wake up and get real statistics on road accidents. The bulk of road accidents are caused through inattention, not through speed. By continually dropping speed limits because of accidents being blamed on speed we might as well bring back the dark ages and all ride push-bikes

Plain and simply all about total control of our lives!
Cashless society was the beginning but where it ends is anyone’s guess
Soon we will be required to enter a passcode to leave our homes and again when we return home.
All our movements will be recorded and ALL our spending will also be recorded.
But the I’m a conspiracy theorist eh!

Speeding is the number 1 cause of fatal road accidents in Australia.

Every time you try to beat a red light, overtake a car going the speed limit or attempting to get ahead when merging on the freeway, you’re likely to be speeding. Whenever you are driving over the speed limit, there are certain risks you face as the driver:

• You can lose control of the vehicle.
  • You reduce your capacity to brake within a safe distance behind another vehicle.
  • You increase the distance necessary to stop your vehicle safely.
  • You decrease the reaction time you need to adjust to sudden changes on the road.
  • You expose yourself and your passengers to undue road accident risks and possibly severe damage and injuries.

Speeding is the number 1 cause of fatal road accidents in Australia.

Every time you try to beat a red light, overtake a car going the speed limit or attempting to get ahead when merging on the freeway, you’re likely to be speeding. Whenever you are driving over the speed limit, there are certain risks you face as the driver:

• You can lose control of the vehicle.
  • You reduce your capacity to brake within a safe distance behind another vehicle.
  • You increase the distance necessary to stop your vehicle safely.
  • You decrease the reaction time you need to adjust to sudden changes on the road.
  • You expose yourself and your passengers to undue road accident risks and possibly severe damage and injuries.
No it’s not!

I don’t think much of the idea. Try overtaking a semi doing 85 in 100 zone and not only did he speed up, he dropped back in speed when I did. Left me out on the wrong side of the road with traffic now coming the other way. I had to accelerate very quickly past the 100 speed limit to avoid being killed.
Yes, I regularly drive the freeway Gundagai to Sydney and see this happen repeatedly to other drivers and often have it happen to me as well.

Soon we will be required to enter a passcode to leave our homes and again when we return home.
We disagree about the Covid vaccine, but I would endorse your comment about the rest. PR Chinese "social credit" is on the way

When are authorities going to wake up and get real statistics on road accidents. The bulk of road accidents are caused through inattention, not through speed. By continually dropping speed limits because of accidents being blamed on speed we might as well bring back the dark ages and all ride push-bikes
No - get a self driving car and walk in front of it with a red flag :ROFLMAO:

Many new cars already have this. My new Toyota does. Doesn’t worry me! It’s a good idea - there are always those few entitled people who just drive whatever speed they like and tailgate those who adhere to the speed limit. It’s all about keeping roads & all who use them safer.

Reactions: Ezzy and Abby2
Carelessness is what kills. The Earth spins about its axis at 25 000 kph or something of that order and I ain' t dead yet. Stopping abruptly is what kills as your momentum takes you through the windscreen, and that is caused by carelessness.
A little bit less than that - about 1600 kph at the equator.

Reactions: Ingot
Many new cars already have this. My new Toyota does. Doesn’t worry me! It’s a good idea - there are always those few entitled people who just drive whatever speed they like and tailgate those who adhere to the speed limit. It’s all about keeping roads & all who use them safer.
And you may still kill someone through complacency and carelessness. The correct use of your eyes and anticipation will do more to prevent accidents than gadgets on the dashboard that restrict speeding , or speed cameras by the roadside.

A former friend of mine spent six weeks in hospital after he had bee knocked off his motorcycle by someone travelling under the 50kph speed limit but just not bothering not to be careless. Myself also, but I have been lucky and have walked away on three occasions. Indeed for one crash had I been riding at 70mph, a dangerous speed for that section of road but at the speed limit, I would have passed the place where I got knocked off before the idiot who knocked me off had got there.

There are times when you need to suddenly accelerate, for instance to avoid a collision when swerving around the object.
Not allowing for sudden exceleration could lead to a crash, or you hitting an object. That could be a human or animal or a stationary item.
Too much technology can be a bad thing.

Any inattention will cause more damage the higher the speed, simple physics.

We have had road rules for decades, we have had speed limits for decades too. So these rules are controlling our lives? Would you prefer a total free for all, no road rules, no speed limits, drivers doing what they wish. Some undeveloped countries are like that and their road death rates are in the 30s and 40s per 100,000 people, ours is around 4.5 deaths per 100,000. How can you have a such low opinion of human life.

Cashless society was the beginning? Where, where are we going cashless? It's been stated countless times now cash will always be around, maybe you have trouble reading. Yes cash use is reducing, because people want that, but there is no sign of going cashless, just stupid paranoid thinking.

Passcodes, movements recorded, hahahaha, just more conspiracies, total B. Go get your head checked out, some serious issues going on there.