Australians Beware: The Shocking Dangers of the New Anti-Speeding System Revealed!

As we cruise into the future, technology is taking the wheel more than ever before. But what happens when innovation in the name of safety starts to backfire? That's the question many Australian drivers are asking as they brace for the potential arrival of the European Union's latest automotive law – the Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) system.

From July this year, the EU has rolled out what could be one of the most divisive pieces of legislation in the history of driving. The ISA system is designed to ensure drivers adhere to speed limits by using cameras and GPS data to monitor the vehicle's speed against the posted limit. If the car exceeds the limit by as little as 1km/h for a few seconds, the system springs into action, warning the driver through a variety of means – from audible signals and dashboard alerts to automatic engine power reduction and even physical feedback from the accelerator pedal.

compressed-shutterstock_2454008595.jpeg
The European Union's new ‘Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA)’ system to enforce speed limits has sparked controversy. Credit: Shutterstock

This law, which took effect last month in Europe, requires all new cars sold after that date to have the ISA system enabled by default, with no option to turn it off permanently. While this system isn't mandated in Australia yet, some manufacturers are already sending vehicles with the ISA enabled to our shores.

After spending over a month with a vehicle equipped with ISA, it's become clear that this well-intentioned safety feature may have some unintended and dangerous consequences. The system's zero-tolerance approach to speed limit enforcement, with no margin for error, has led to a significant increase in driver distraction and frustration. For instance, the speedometers in most cars are calibrated to over-report speed slightly, meaning that a car beeping at you for doing 60km/h is likely accusing you of speeding when you're not.

The lack of a buffer zone is a glaring oversight. Speed cameras in Queensland, for example, allow a 10% margin before issuing a ticket. A similar buffer for ISA would prevent the system from penalizing drivers for negligible speed infractions.

Moreover, the inability to permanently disable the ISA system means drivers are forced to navigate through complex vehicle menus while driving, which is a distraction in itself. Some manufacturers, like Hyundai, are introducing shortcuts to toggle the system off, but this is a workaround for a feature that many drivers didn't ask for and don't want.

The ISA system is just a step away from more invasive measures, such as using the vehicle to report speeding to authorities or even preventing the car from exceeding speed limits altogether. This raises serious concerns about the erosion of personal freedom and choice on the road.

In Australia, local authorities are keeping an eye on the ISA's rollout in Europe. There's little doubt that if deemed effective, similar mandates could be introduced here, citing data that links reduced speeding with fewer road fatalities. But at what cost to our autonomy and mental well-being?

Freedom of choice is a cornerstone of our society, and numerous studies have shown that the ability to choose is closely linked to happiness. While we at the Seniors Discount Club certainly don't advocate for reckless driving or endangering others, we do believe in the right to choose to comply with the law, rather than being forced into compliance.

As we navigate the road ahead, it's crucial to balance safety with common sense and personal freedom. The ISA system, in its current form, seems to tip that balance in a direction that could lead to more harm than good. It's time for drivers, lawmakers, and car manufacturers to engage in a serious dialogue about the future of driving and the role technology should play in it.
Key Takeaways
  • The European Union has introduced an 'Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA)' system to help drivers comply with speed limits, which has been met with controversy.
  • Vehicles with ISA will use cameras or GPS data to monitor speed limits and alert drivers if they exceed the limit, even by 1km/h, with various warning methods.
  • The ISA system, not yet mandated in Australia, has been criticised for increasing driver workload and distraction, as well as not allowing a margin for error.
  • There are concerns that the rise of such technology could lead to government mandates that eliminate the freedom to choose, with implications for personal freedom and autonomy.
What are your thoughts on the ISA system? Have you experienced it in a new vehicle, or are you concerned about its potential implementation in Australia? Share your views in the comments below, and let's discuss the road ahead for Australian drivers.

Sponsored
I don’t think much of the idea. Try overtaking a semi doing 85 in 100 zone and not only did he speed up, he dropped back in speed when I did. Left me out on the wrong side of the road with traffic now coming the other way. I had to accelerate very quickly past the 100 speed limit to avoid being killed.
So it wasn't safe to overtake at that time. Wait for more sight to see further down the road. You people think you have an entitlement to speed to overtake, YOU DO NOT. Bloody wait until the time is right.

Reactions: Abby2
We disagree about the Covid vaccine, but I would endorse your comment about the rest. PR Chinese "social credit" is on the way
I hope so, sort out the ratbags from the good people. Do what's right in society and you are looked after, be a deadbeat and get treated like one, excellent.

Yes, I regularly drive the freeway Gundagai to Sydney and see this happen repeatedly to other drivers and often have it happen to me as well.
That road is a dual carriageway, two plus lanes, how can you see that happening there????

No; carelessness, arrogance and stupidity are what kill and maim . Try riding a motor-bike and you will learn that very quickly. It is stopping suddenly that kills.
So speeding has nothing to do with? If drivers are speeding AS WELL AS those other things don't you think the risk of a collision heightens? Don't you think that if a collision DOES happen the higher the speed the more damage that is done? Don't you think that at higher speeds the chance of avoiding a collision decreases and any collisions are more deadly?

Some basic physics - higher speeds mean more collisions and more severe collisions.

Many new cars already have this. My new Toyota does. Doesn’t worry me! It’s a good idea - there are always those few entitled people who just drive whatever speed they like and tailgate those who adhere to the speed limit. It’s all about keeping roads & all who use them safer.
Which model Toyota has this?

There are times when you need to suddenly accelerate, for instance to avoid a collision when swerving around the object.
Not allowing for sudden exceleration could lead to a crash, or you hitting an object. That could be a human or animal or a stationary item.
Too much technology can be a bad thing.
So you need to go faster to avoid an object??? FFS, what are you doing behind the wheel of a vehicle.

And you may still kill someone through complacency and carelessness. The correct use of your eyes and anticipation will do more to prevent accidents than gadgets on the dashboard that restrict speeding , or speed cameras by the roadside.

A former friend of mine spent six weeks in hospital after he had bee knocked off his motorcycle by someone travelling under the 50kph speed limit but just not bothering not to be careless. Myself also, but I have been lucky and have walked away on three occasions. Indeed for one crash had I been riding at 70mph, a dangerous speed for that section of road but at the speed limit, I would have passed the place where I got knocked off before the idiot who knocked me off had got there.
For Gods sake, of course collisions can happen at any speed and of course there are a multitude of reasons but common sense, if nothing else, tells you the faster you go the higher the danger level, even my 5 year old grandson knows that.

And saying if you went faster you'd be past the point of a collision?? You are a fool - so everyone drove 50% over the limit they would always be away from an accident site? Your head is whacked.

Certainly ban the ISA system in Australia, even more so in the country, if introduced in Australia the Authorities have got rocks in their heads. If the Australian Motor Car Industries were look after by the State and Federal Goverments we would still be producing our own vehicles, and we wouldn't be is this
ridiculous suitation, it's about time Australians looked after Australians by producing all our own products, and forget imports.

Another woke idea from the EU. This will cause more problems than exceeding the limit by a few KM.Already I pay more than enough attention to my speedometer than I do with the road and that by itself is dangerous.
What about my choice? My freedom to choose? This sounds too much like the communist system rather than that of a free capitalist society.

That God my car doesn't have it. The road to our nearest town has a 100k speed limit, but some people drive at 70-80ks. These people when you attempt to overtake them suddenly go fast which means I have to exceed the speed to get round. Having a speed limiter would cause accidents. There are enough bells and whistles in modern cars now that are a distraction. In ours it keeps telling us to have a cup of coffee, sometimes after only 20 mins of driving.
Agree. This was my first thought whilst reading this article

Plain and simply all about total control of our lives!
Cashless society was the beginning but where it ends is anyone’s guess
Soon we will be required to enter a passcode to leave our homes and again when we return home.
All our movements will be recorded and ALL our spending will also be recorded.
But the I’m a conspiracy theorist eh!
This already being implemented.
Newcastle, NSW is designated a Smart City.
They are well-advanced in implementing what is called IoT technology - The Internet of Things.
Sounds harmless ... right?
Well I read the 37 pages of the Newcastle City Council's abstract of benefits, and I was more than a little disquieted.

This whole 37 page document is quite revealing, and shows the crushing expense the entire nation will be subjected to, in its full implementation.

What I am writing right now will be recorded and one day used to assist in the compilation of my personal Social Credit score, as is already in operation in the Totalitarian State of China.

Our own Internet Service Providers (ISP) are required to retain the metadata for every consumer, for at least two years.
How do we know if it is expanded to be "kept permanently" now?
We do not have that information, though searches still say "2 yrs."

Read page one carefully to see who is behind this "innovation for our own good."
Then flick to page 15, and read about the "Internet of Things."

Quote: "How should we tell people about IoT sensors on their street? How shouldplanners anticipate and measure social impacts from technology?

That is a direct extract from Page 15.

What is there to explain?
What social impacts?
Are they planning to deceive us with quack-technology, that will record EVERY time we leave our home and EVERY TIME WE RETURN?
This will apply to every person living in every street in Newcastle.

Sound a little like a Social Credit surveillance monitor?

How does it help society to know if I walked across the road to the supermarket, or if my neighbour is regularly using the services of certain female workers?

It is time truly independent bodies were set up to monitor what is going on covertly.
Newcastle City Council has NOT released information regarding this plan to surveil residents via IoT surveillance cameras.

The GPS Navigation screen already beeps at me if I exceed the speed limit by 3 kph.
What's wrong with that as a better form of self-monitoring?
It is NOT the people who exceed the speed limit by 2kph who are causing the fatalities ... it is inattention, and the maniacs who exceed the speed limits by 20 to 50 kph.

Last edited:
Many new cars already have this. My new Toyota does. Doesn’t worry me! It’s a good idea - there are always those few entitled people who just drive whatever speed they like and tailgate those who adhere to the speed limit. It’s all about keeping roads & all who use them safer.
In the future is could be used to generate revenue.
eg when you come across roadworks, you are required to slow to 40kph max.
If you are slowing, but not decellerating quickly enough, your car could potentially send a text to the nearest 5G node, and generate "$309 and 1 demerit point for exceeding 1 to 10km/h over the limit."

"Gotcha!" says the notation on the yellow slip!
That's for exceeding the limit by 1kph!!!
Your own car just booked you!

Any inattention will cause more damage the higher the speed, simple physics.
No doubt. But it is INATTENTION that causes the accident in the first place. OK so have someone walk ahead with a red flag, limiting speed to 4mph as in the good old days, if it is speed that kills. or import cars with engines that turn out 6 horsepower at peak revs. Why import cars that can travel at 800 furlongs or 8000 cricket pitches per hour and even more, and do it safely as a great many cars can these days, and then fit spy gadgetry to book you if you go a wee bit over the speed limit? Silly.

In the future is could be used to generate revenue.
eg when you come across roadworks, you are required to slow to 40kph max.
If you are slowing, but not decellerating quickly enough, your car could potentially send a text to the nearest 5G node, and generate "$309 and 1 demerit point for exceeding 1 to 10km/h over the limit."

"Gotcha!" says the notation on the yellow slip!
That's for exceeding the limit by 1kph!!!
Your own car just booked you!
Buy an old car, of pre-electronic vintage. Get worn-out bits replaced, and do anything else yourself to keep down costs. Most of that stuff is undoing nuts and bolts in the correct order and taking bits off systematically and cleaning them as you go, and putting them back with new gaskets etc. The older the car, generally the more accessible the bits. Unless putting these damned spy gadgets in becomes compulsory, you'll be okay. If the car is old enough, you'll be able to join a vintage car club and get plenty of advice and have access to spare parts through the club.

We have had road rules for decades, we have had speed limits for decades too. So these rules are controlling our lives? Would you prefer a total free for all, no road rules, no speed limits, drivers doing what they wish. Some undeveloped countries are like that and their road death rates are in the 30s and 40s per 100,000 people, ours is around 4.5 deaths per 100,000. How can you have a such low opinion of human life.

Cashless society was the beginning? Where, where are we going cashless? It's been stated countless times now cash will always be around, maybe you have trouble reading. Yes cash use is reducing, because people want that, but there is no sign of going cashless, just stupid paranoid thinking.

Passcodes, movements recorded, hahahaha, just more conspiracies, total B. Go get your head checked out, some serious issues going on there.
Greg, obviously we mix in different circles.

Fiat currency has just about done its job.
The US economy is $35 TRILLION in debt and still printing $1 Trillion every 100 days.
Unsustainable. And that is the reason for current inflation and Cost of Living issues.

Janet Yellen (United States Secretary of the Treasury) and Jerome Powell (Chair of the Federal Reserve of the United States) have admitted the US will be moving very soon to the Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) and the Universal Basic Income (UBI).

I'm certain you understand both terms - most people don't though.
If you read the comments from the various governors of the US Fed Res and the minutes of the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) it is clear that the CBDC and UBI are imminent.

As for cash? Anyone's guess. What will the new currency be called?
How will we be "allowed" to spend it?
As for me, I'm hoping that Bitcoin will be the new Strategic Asset and World Reserve Currency.
There are 100,000,000 Satoshis in one Bitcoin, and after lost Bitcoin, less those yet to be mined, 16.5 of the maximum possible 21 million Bitcoins, are already accounted for.

I would urge people to investigate and consider their future with Bitcoin.
Maybe diversify a little.

Find out what the term "Stacking Sats" means, and "Dollar Cost Averaging" or DCA.
There is no need to fear a cashless society, since every beggar on the street will be given the UBI, unless they have a Social Credit Score that is too low for them to get paid anything at all.

Now that's a form of control if ever I have seen one!

For Gods sake, of course collisions can happen at any speed and of course there are a multitude of reasons but common sense, if nothing else, tells you the faster you go the higher the danger level, even my 5 year old grandson knows that.

And saying if you went faster you'd be past the point of a collision?? You are a fool - so everyone drove 50% over the limit they would always be away from an accident site? Your head is whacked.
Chill brother.
We got your point 40 minutes ago.

Undeveloped countries? Carelessness and inattention by drivers and predestrians and the use of small motorcycles with a family of five sitting on a motorcycle made for two, or adaptations such as the "skylabs" in Mindanao, created from a small motorcycle and carrying thee of four on the seat and granny and assorted goods on one side and a pig, probably dead, on the other. Or 26 people in the tray of a Toyota Hilux; or Toyota Landcruisers with worn-out brakes, or with brake shoes glued on to the brakes with some inadequate type of glue, or drunks driving buses and small trucks or any number of different things that do not involve high speeds.

It's a different world in the so-called undeveloped countries and that includes places such as Thailand and Vietnam which are not undeveloped.

Reactions: DLHM
I think this is a most dangerous thing to have on your car, it will cause more accidents than what we have now. Especially in Australia where we got a big country to travel in, and will not work here. What we needed more is our roads needs bad repair or rebuild.

Last edited: