Australians Are Furious! See How Much Coles and Woolworths Are Charging for Tim Tams – Is It a National Scandal?

In a country where the Tim Tam Slam is practically a national pastime, the recent price hike of these beloved chocolate biscuits has left many Australians reeling. The iconic Tim Tams, produced by Arnott's, have seen their prices soar to a staggering $6 at major supermarkets Coles and Woolworths, sparking outrage and disbelief among consumers.

For many Australians, Tim Tams are more than just a treat; they're a slice of national pride. So, when the price of a packet jumped to what some are calling 'eye-watering' levels, it didn't take long for the public to voice their discontent. The term 'Un-Australian' has been bandied about on social media platforms and forums, with an image shared on Reddit highlighting the price increase and prompting a wave of nostalgia and frustration.

compressed-tim tam.jpeg
An anonymous shopper lamented about the price of Tim Tams at their local supermarket. Image Credit: Reddit

'I remember when a double pack used to only be about $4.50,' lamented one Redditor, reflecting a sentiment shared by many who recall better days for biscuit bargains. The conversation quickly turned to disbelief and a sense of betrayal, with comments such as 'That's just un-Australian,' and 'Literal petrol station prices,' painting a picture of a nation's snack-time shock.

The price hike has hit all consumers hard, but those with dietary restrictions feel the pinch even more. 'Try being gluten-free. They’re more expensive and you only get seven in a pack!' a Reddit user pointed out, highlighting the additional costs faced by those requiring special food options.

In response to the uproar, an Arnott's spokesperson has addressed the issue, citing the rising costs of production as the culprit behind the increased retail prices. 'Like most Australian manufacturers, we are experiencing a significant increase in our input costs, including the surging price of cocoa. This has led us to make the difficult decision to increase the price of our Tim Tam biscuits,' they explained.

Arnott's has assured customers that despite the price rise, they continue to work with retailers to offer promotional deals, ensuring that Tim Tams can still be enjoyed at more affordable prices from time to time. The company emphasizes the necessity of the price changes to remain competitive and continue producing the treats Australians love.

While Coles and Woolworths has not commented yet on the situation, it brings to light the broader issue of rising food costs in Australia. Earlier this year, a packet of Tim Tams was found priced at an astonishing $11.70 at a petrol station in Kalumburu, far north Western Australia, underscoring the variability and sometimes exorbitant cost of goods in remote areas.

As we navigate these challenging economic times, it's clear that even the smallest pleasures, like enjoying a Tim Tam with a cuppa, are not immune to the pressures of inflation and market forces. The question on everyone's lips is whether this price hike is a temporary blip or a sign of things to come for other grocery staples.

We at the Seniors Discount Club understand the importance of budgeting, especially for those on fixed incomes. We encourage our members to keep an eye out for sales and discounts, and to let us know if you spot a good deal on Tim Tams or any other beloved products. After all, sharing is caring, particularly when it comes to saving on the sweet things in life.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have expressed their shock and anger over the $6 price tag for a packet of Tim Tams at Coles and Woolworths, with some labelling the price increase as 'un-Australian'.
  • A shared image on Reddit highlighted the price hike, sparking discussions among consumers about the rising costs at major retailers.
  • Arnott's, the manufacturer of Tim Tams, cited significant increases in input costs, including the price of cocoa, as the reason for the raised prices of their biscuits.
  • Despite the price hike, Arnott's assures that they continue to work on promotional programs to offer their products at great value, emphasising the necessity of these changes for the company to remain competitive and maintain production of beloved Australian products.
What are your thoughts on the Tim Tam price hike? Have you noticed other grocery items increasing in cost? Share your experiences and tips for finding the best deals in the comments below. Let's help each other through these 'crunchy' times!

Sponsored
Who in their right mind would pay full price, it goes along with a bag of 150-175gm bag of potato chips for $7, and Australian Olive oil at the same price as the imported where do they get off charging $65 for 3 litres. I doubt very much if things will ever go back to the price before Covid, for some reason they felt during that time they could rip people off as much as possible and still doing it.

Who in their right mind would pay full price, it goes along with a bag of 150-175gm bag of potato chips for $7, and Australian Olive oil at the same price as the imported where do they get off charging $65 for 3 litres. I doubt very much if things will ever go back to the price before Covid, for some reason they felt during that time they could rip people off as much as possible and still doing it.
Unfortunately many things play into the cost of buying Australian. These include an increased, legally enforced, minimum wage, the cost of transport and limits to safe driving hours for truck drivers. Add to these the cost of processing and packaging and yes, you are going to pay more for an Australian product.

IT AMAZES ME THAT THESE GREEDY COMPANIES CONSTANTLY BLAME ALTERNATE REASONS TO FEED THEIR GREED.

DOESNT WASH WITH ME. ITS JUST PLAIN GREED AND THATS ALL. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR GREED. IF WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS TRUE, AND I DONT BELIEVE IT FOR ONE MINUTE, THEN THEY CAN SURELY ABSORB THE COSTS FROM THEIR OWN POCKETS AND STOP RIPPING OFF THE CONSUMER.

WHEN WILL THIS GREED EVER END.

I HAVE BEEN BOYCOTTING ARNOTTS FOR DECADES. ALDI HAVE THEIR OWN GENERIC BRAND OF TIM TAMS. THEY TASTE THE SAME AND ARE ONLY 2.19 A PACK. THAT IS CHEAP CONSIDERING WHAT ARNOTTS ARE CHARGING. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND I SAY.

IT AMAZES ME THAT THESE GREEDY COMPANIES CONSTANTLY BLAME ALTERNATE REASONS TO FEED THEIR GREED.

DOESNT WASH WITH ME. ITS JUST PLAIN GREED AND THATS ALL. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR GREED. IF WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS TRUE, AND I DONT BELIEVE IT FOR ONE MINUTE, THEN THEY CAN SURELY ABSORB THE COSTS FROM THEIR OWN POCKETS AND STOP RIPPING OFF THE CONSUMER.

WHEN WILL THIS GREED EVER END.

I HAVE BEEN BOYCOTTING ARNOTTS FOR DECADES. ALDI HAVE THEIR OWN GENERIC BRAND OF TIM TAMS. THEY TASTE THE SAME AND ARE ONLY 2.19 A PACK. THAT IS CHEAP CONSIDERING WHAT ARNOTTS ARE CHARGING. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND I SAY.
Boy, I bet Arnotts are mortally offended by your boycott :)

You would have to be kidding. If there is anyone who hasn't noticed the price hike in a lot of things including Tim Tams would have to be blind and dumb. Everything has taken a hike🤐
And stunning how essential items never go on sale, just the 'treats'. As if most folk can even afford treats these days.