Australians Are Furious! See How Much Coles and Woolworths Are Charging for Tim Tams – Is It a National Scandal?

In a country where the Tim Tam Slam is practically a national pastime, the recent price hike of these beloved chocolate biscuits has left many Australians reeling. The iconic Tim Tams, produced by Arnott's, have seen their prices soar to a staggering $6 at major supermarkets Coles and Woolworths, sparking outrage and disbelief among consumers.

For many Australians, Tim Tams are more than just a treat; they're a slice of national pride. So, when the price of a packet jumped to what some are calling 'eye-watering' levels, it didn't take long for the public to voice their discontent. The term 'Un-Australian' has been bandied about on social media platforms and forums, with an image shared on Reddit highlighting the price increase and prompting a wave of nostalgia and frustration.

compressed-tim tam.jpeg
An anonymous shopper lamented about the price of Tim Tams at their local supermarket. Image Credit: Reddit

'I remember when a double pack used to only be about $4.50,' lamented one Redditor, reflecting a sentiment shared by many who recall better days for biscuit bargains. The conversation quickly turned to disbelief and a sense of betrayal, with comments such as 'That's just un-Australian,' and 'Literal petrol station prices,' painting a picture of a nation's snack-time shock.

The price hike has hit all consumers hard, but those with dietary restrictions feel the pinch even more. 'Try being gluten-free. They’re more expensive and you only get seven in a pack!' a Reddit user pointed out, highlighting the additional costs faced by those requiring special food options.

In response to the uproar, an Arnott's spokesperson has addressed the issue, citing the rising costs of production as the culprit behind the increased retail prices. 'Like most Australian manufacturers, we are experiencing a significant increase in our input costs, including the surging price of cocoa. This has led us to make the difficult decision to increase the price of our Tim Tam biscuits,' they explained.

Arnott's has assured customers that despite the price rise, they continue to work with retailers to offer promotional deals, ensuring that Tim Tams can still be enjoyed at more affordable prices from time to time. The company emphasizes the necessity of the price changes to remain competitive and continue producing the treats Australians love.

While Coles and Woolworths has not commented yet on the situation, it brings to light the broader issue of rising food costs in Australia. Earlier this year, a packet of Tim Tams was found priced at an astonishing $11.70 at a petrol station in Kalumburu, far north Western Australia, underscoring the variability and sometimes exorbitant cost of goods in remote areas.

As we navigate these challenging economic times, it's clear that even the smallest pleasures, like enjoying a Tim Tam with a cuppa, are not immune to the pressures of inflation and market forces. The question on everyone's lips is whether this price hike is a temporary blip or a sign of things to come for other grocery staples.

We at the Seniors Discount Club understand the importance of budgeting, especially for those on fixed incomes. We encourage our members to keep an eye out for sales and discounts, and to let us know if you spot a good deal on Tim Tams or any other beloved products. After all, sharing is caring, particularly when it comes to saving on the sweet things in life.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have expressed their shock and anger over the $6 price tag for a packet of Tim Tams at Coles and Woolworths, with some labelling the price increase as 'un-Australian'.
  • A shared image on Reddit highlighted the price hike, sparking discussions among consumers about the rising costs at major retailers.
  • Arnott's, the manufacturer of Tim Tams, cited significant increases in input costs, including the price of cocoa, as the reason for the raised prices of their biscuits.
  • Despite the price hike, Arnott's assures that they continue to work on promotional programs to offer their products at great value, emphasising the necessity of these changes for the company to remain competitive and maintain production of beloved Australian products.
What are your thoughts on the Tim Tam price hike? Have you noticed other grocery items increasing in cost? Share your experiences and tips for finding the best deals in the comments below. Let's help each other through these 'crunchy' times!

Sponsored
You would not give one fig about the price if you knew what is in Tim Tams.
I have been told they are banned in some countries.
Take the time to look at the back of the pack. I make it a rule not to buy anything that has ingredients identified only with numbers.
Mind you, I'll have the occasional Tim Tam if someone else buys it, but only 1 at a time.

Take the time to look at the back of the pack. I make it a rule not to buy anything that has ingredients identified only with numbers.
Mind you, I'll have the occasional Tim Tam if someone else buys it, but only 1 at a time.
If you look up what makes up those numbers, some of them are pretty harmless. You just have to know which ones to avoid.

E146 is the only number I could find and that’s an emulsifier and harmless to humans so what numbers are you talking about, I can’t find any others.🤔sorry E120 as well the crushed bugs also harmless unless you have allergies of course. So you still eat them then make up your mind.🤣

Last edited:
No matter what Coles and Woolworths say they have been ripping us off for a good 18 months now.
Tins of Spam used to be 3 dollars or there abouts and all of a sudden it was $6! How does something just double in price over night and the same happened to Pecks Sandwich Spread, one minute its 2 dollars odd and the next shopping day (a week later) it was $5.50.

Never mind the Tim Tams - Moccona 400g coffee jumped to 32.00 from 28.00. Or on (very rare) special now of 19.50. At Woolies. Coles and Woolies have alternate weeks during spring summer, they special this.
Thankfully at Costco you can buy 2 x 400gm Moccona coffee for 40.00. Or go to Fresh n Save its 21.50.
With the added bonus of paying $65 just for the privilege of walking through the door.

What a joke!

Reactions: Marilynne
I used to like Tim Tams but when my daughter told me that they have that red carmine coloring which comes from insects (crickets), it's called cochineal so I stopped buying and eating them. That's why I don't care what they cost. I will never ever eat any insects and meal worms.
Perhaps you had unknowingly eaten products from insects in the past, even as a child?
Cochineal has been around for eons.

Perhaps you had unknowingly eaten products from insects in the past, even as a child?
Cochineal has been around for eons.
Some of us have even eaten live insects. When you have live grasshopper fly into your gob whilst tearing down a dirt lane on a motorbike, and you can't do a damned thing, not even spit it out (because of speed and helmet) you don't really have a choice. At least it wasn't a wasp.

Some of us have even eaten live insects. When you have live grasshopper fly into your gob whilst tearing down a dirt lane on a motorbike, and you can't do a damned thing, not even spit it out (because of speed and helmet) you don't really have a choice. At least it wasn't a wasp.
Don’t forget the tasty fly also 🤣

Reactions: Marilynne and Ezzy
If its too dear ,dont buy it. Look around ,buy a different brand , go to a different shop or supermarket. If enough of us dont buy or go elsewhere they will get the message and the price will drop.I only go to Woolies or Coles now ,for things I cant get at Aldi. Coles is constantly sending me their messages with bargains , I only buy if the price is too good to bypass. Aldi has the basics at better prices ,I am getting used to different brands. More careful now with what I buy , no luxuries only necessary groceries . jay2