Australian Seniors Vote to Tax the Rich!

Last Sunday, we posed yet another controversial question:

‘Should Australia increase taxes on the wealthy to address income inequality?’

Here’s what you had to say.

*drum roll please*

With 79 votes and a whopping 73.1%, the majority of SDC members who cast their vote believe Australia SHOULD increase taxes on the wealthy to address income inequality.

On the flip side, 26 SDC members voted ‘No’, making up 24.1% of poll respondents.

We also received 3 votes for ‘Other’, making up 2.8% of respondents. These SDC members chose to explain their thoughts in the comments instead.

Shall we dive into the comments? There are some juicy ones!

Should Australia increase taxes on the wealthy to address income inequality (1) (1).jpg
The results are in. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

Yes

Member @mazzie08: ‘YES When they have the money to pay more tax, they can afford to do so and take up the slack that the “poor and struggling people” cannot afford to. It is like robbing the poor to give to the rich. YES YES YES’

Member @Ducky 2: ‘The problem is a lot of rich people don’t pay tax. They are able to avoid it by sending money to tax havens or family trusts this needs to be investigated and they make their money off the general population so yes, they should be taxed at a higher rate.’

Member @G. A. Ridd: ‘I believe the majority of working folk work hard, regardless of their type of job and education. All those who are successful and make a lot of money haven't done it entirely on their own as there are people who work for them, around them, beside them. "The little people" who are doing their jobs, whatever those jobs may be. And then there's also being there at the right time. It's only fair they are taxed more and any loopholes should be closed.’

Interestingly, while the ‘yes’ votes came out on top, they made up the minority of comments.

No

On the other hand, those against increasing taxes on the wealthy were vocal in the comments and shared their reasoning.

Member @Mr Chips: ‘We should actually be reducing taxes for the wealthy. When I say wealthy I mean the young entrepreneurs who are challenging themselves to be successful. Not the "old money" families who are kind and generous anyhow. We need them. We are a country that relies on the entrepreneurial activities of individuals to guide our economy.’

Member @Philpy: ‘The last I heard we live in a Free Enterprise Economy, the more you put in the more you are rewarded. You don’t penalise incentive!’

Member @Suzanne rose: ‘My thoughts are why should a person on high income have to pay more tax than someone on a low income?’

‘What I feel needs to be done and implemented is the rich people need to pay tax. The government needs to look at how they are getting out of paying tax and fix any loopholes that allow this.’

Member @Flyfox: ‘Let's not forget there are many rich people who do so much good but very quietly. If they are taxed more will they stop giving? The criminal element of being rich must somehow be stopped, But to punish those who worked hard for what they have seems very unfair.’

Member @I’m Mal: ‘I am by no means rich but I do not believe for one millisecond that those who are rich should pay extra tax. Sure there are CEOs such as the Qantas boss who are paid many orders of magnitude more than they are worth but there are also a great many more who worked very hard to build a very healthy self-funded retirement nest egg who should not be punished for their efforts. They have already paid extra tax on their Superannuation and now there is an expectation that they will pay tax again. Is this not double dipping? I am not at all surprised that there are so many yes votes in this poll. There seems to be an innate jealousy and even hatred toward the wealthy in Australia. The rich are not the enemy and being rich is not some kind of evil. Far too many people are so green with envy of the rich and constantly appear to want to drag them down. For those who treat rich people with contempt, why do you feel the need to do that? Are you just jealous that you are not rich? This attitude of "you are rich so you can afford to pay more tax" is nothing more than self-entitlement. Unless wealth is accumulated by crime or ill-gotten gain, it is not some kind of sin that must be atoned for by being taxed yet again.’

Other

Member @Roscoe44: ‘Before you tax people, Businesses should be taxed on their annual turnover instead of what they currently claim on after-tax income. They get too many opportunities to shuffle money elsewhere but with what I see to be corrupt Governments, this will never happen.’

It seems there is one thing SDC members can agree on, there needs to be work done to improve the tax loopholes.

Interested in reading more? You can find the poll and full comment section here. The comment section is one of the most interesting things I’ve read all week with some fantastic points being made. I wish I could have included them all here but I highly recommend you peruse them with a cuppa.

Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for the next question and don’t forget to have your say!

Sponsored

*drum roll please*

With 79 votes and a whopping 73.1%, the majority of SDC members who cast their vote believe Australia SHOULD increase taxes on the wealthy to address income inequality.

On the flip side, 26 SDC members voted ‘No’, making up 24.1% of poll respondents.

We also received 3 votes for ‘Other’, making up 2.8% of respondents. These SDC members chose to explain their thoughts in the comments instead.

View attachment 15775

Yes

Member @mazzie08: ‘YES When they have the money to pay more tax, they can afford to do so and take up the slack that the “poor and struggling people” cannot afford to. It is like robbing the poor to give to the rich. YES YES YES’

Member @Ducky 2: ‘The problem is a lot of rich people don’t pay tax. They are able to avoid it by sending money to tax havens or family trusts this needs to be investigated and they make their money off the general population so yes, they should be taxed at a higher rate.’

Member @G. A. Ridd: ‘I believe the majority of working folk work hard, regardless of their type of job and education. All those who are successful and make a lot of money haven't done it entirely on their own as there are people who work for them, around them, beside them. "The little people" who are doing their jobs, whatever those jobs may be. And then there's also being there at the right time. It's only fair they are taxed more and any loopholes should be closed.’

Interestingly, while the ‘yes’ votes came out on top, they made up the minority of comments.

No

On the other hand, those against increasing taxes on the wealthy were vocal in the comments and shared their reasoning.

Member @Mr Chips: ‘We should actually be reducing taxes for the wealthy. When I say wealthy I mean the young entrepreneurs who are challenging themselves to be successful. Not the "old money" families who are kind and generous anyhow. We need them. We are a country that relies on the entrepreneurial activities of individuals to guide our economy.’

Member @Philpy: ‘The last I heard we live in a Free Enterprise Economy, the more you put in the more you are rewarded. You don’t penalise incentive!’

Member @Suzanne rose: ‘My thoughts are why should a person on high income have to pay more tax than someone on a low income?’

‘What I feel needs to be done and implemented is the rich people need to pay tax. The government needs to look at how they are getting out of paying tax and fix any loopholes that allow this.’

Member @Flyfox: ‘Let's not forget there are many rich people who do so much good but very quietly. If they are taxed more will they stop giving? The criminal element of being rich must somehow be stopped, But to punish those who worked hard for what they have seems very unfair.’

Member @I’m Mal: ‘I am by no means rich but I do not believe for one millisecond that those who are rich should pay extra tax. Sure there are CEOs such as the Qantas boss who are paid many orders of magnitude more than they are worth but there are also a great many more who worked very hard to build a very healthy self-funded retirement nest egg who should not be punished for their efforts. They have already paid extra tax on their Superannuation and now there is an expectation that they will pay tax again. Is this not double dipping? I am not at all surprised that there are so many yes votes in this poll. There seems to be an innate jealousy and even hatred toward the wealthy in Australia. The rich are not the enemy and being rich is not some kind of evil. Far too many people are so green with envy of the rich and constantly appear to want to drag them down. For those who treat rich people with contempt, why do you feel the need to do that? Are you just jealous that you are not rich? This attitude of "you are rich so you can afford to pay more tax" is nothing more than self-entitlement. Unless wealth is accumulated by crime or ill-gotten gain, it is not some kind of sin that must be atoned for by being taxed yet again.’

Other

Member @Roscoe44: ‘Before you tax people, Businesses should be taxed on their annual turnover instead of what they currently claim on after-tax income. They get too many opportunities to shuffle money elsewhere but with what I see to be corrupt Governments, this will never happen.’

It seems there is one thing SDC members can agree on, there needs to be work done to improve the tax loopholes.

Interested in reading more? You can find the poll and full comment section here. The comment section is one of the most interesting things I’ve read all week with some fantastic points being made. I wish I could have included them all here but I highly recommend you peruse them with a cuppa.

Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for the next question and don’t forget to have your say!
As one person stated people who are wealthy have made because of the little people the hard working people they are wealthy because of us. How many of them really give back to community if they all donated even 1 percent of their wealth we would have no poverty and no homeless.

*drum roll please*

View attachment 15775

Yes

No

Other

*drum roll please*

View attachment 15775

Yes

No

Other

The wealthy should definitely on a higher tax rate. Any charity donations they make are Tax deductible. More needs to be funnelled into pensions as they are almost at poverty rate. Yes everyone pays taxes but if u r wealthy u should be happy to help the less fortunate. Pensioners are seen as 3rd class citizens wen it comes to their pension.

First I am not green with envy because someone is wealthy and I am not. I am angry that so many wealthy people find loopholes to get out of paying tax at all. I know a lot of wealthy people do great things charity wise and hats off to them but there are a lot who don’t. I don’t care what anyone does with their money but at least pay a fair tax like the majority of Australians do.

*drum roll please*

View attachment 15775

Yes

No

Other

The 24.1% that voted NO, are probably those wealthy ones that don't pay taxes. As one member highlighted, there are those wealthy people that exploit the hard-working majority to accumulate wealth, why shouldn't they pay more taxes? I condemn these parasites.

Last edited:
The money which everyone has, wealthy or poor, has already been taxed. It seems to me that what the government is trying to do now is to tax them again which is double dipping and that is wrong. People shouldn't be taxed on the same money twice. I'm not wealthy or a self-funded retiree but I do think that if people who have worked hard to put money aside for when they are elderly, shouldn't be penalised for doing so.

The problem is so many very wealthy people pay less tax than the pay as you earn person who has no avenue to get out of paying tax, if that was addressed maybe it would equate to a fairer system but it is always the PAYE worker who shoulders the tax burden, while the wealthy can get a clever accountant or a fund where they channel most of their income therefore paying little or no tax and this is a well known fact however past and present government refuse to address it because they are on the same gravy train.

Reactions: Bellclare and POG

*drum roll please*

View attachment 15775

Yes

No

Other

You commented "Interestingly, while the ‘yes’ votes came out on top, they made up the minority of comments".
I voted yes, and didn't feel I NEEDED to 'justify' my answer with a comment, as, I'm guessing the majority of 'Yes' voters did as well (?)
Therefore, I find it interesting that the majority of "no" voters needed to 'justify' their answer! That speaks VOLUMES!

The money which everyone has, wealthy or poor, has already been taxed. It seems to me that what the government is trying to do now is to tax them again which is double dipping and that is wrong. People shouldn't be taxed on the same money twice. I'm not wealthy or a self-funded retiree but I do think that if people who have worked hard to put money aside for when they are elderly, shouldn't be penalised for doing so.
This new tax applies to superannuation funds of $3 million and above, which the wealthy were able to accumulate by evading high taxes in the first place, hence why this new tax should apply.

This new tax applies to superannuation funds of $3 million and above, which the wealthy were able to accumulate by evading high taxes in the first place, hence why this new tax should apply.

*drum roll please*

View attachment 15775

Yes

No

Other

I don't know that the wealthy should pay extra tax per say. I mean I think everyone should pay the same percentage without the percentage being increased after you earn over a certain amount. I will use 10% tax as an example only, for ease of demonstration (could be 20% or 30%). If someone earned earned $100 their tax would be $10. If someone earned $1,000 their tax would be $100 or if they earned $10,000 their tax would be $1,000 so on and so on. Everyone pays the same percentage of their income, and that would be fair. But then all loopholes need to be stopped so that in reality every body pays tax without the wealthy avoiding paying all or part of their tax.

Reactions: Macarj
I don't know that the wealthy should pay extra tax per say. I mean I think everyone should pay the same percentage without the percentage being increased after you earn over a certain amount. I will use 10% tax as an example only, for ease of demonstration (could be 20% or 30%). If someone earned earned $100 their tax would be $10. If someone earned $1,000 their tax would be $100 or if they earned $10,000 their tax would be $1,000 so on and so on. Everyone pays the same percentage of their income, and that would be fair. But then all loopholes need to be stopped so that in reality every body pays tax without the wealthy avoiding paying all or part of their tax.
Put the ATO doing the yearly taxation and the loopholes will stop. Accountants know the tricks of the trade 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️