Australian senior killed by pet kangaroo

A senior resident in the south of Western Australia has tragically passed away from his wounds following what appears to have been an unanticipated kangaroo attack.

On Sunday night, a relative discovered the 77-year-old man at his property in Redmond, close to Albany, bleeding heavily from multiple parts of his body.

4X8K_NUzQbxLj6XJIMZPSXbtJkSnhW81mN5FAIfjzT9QrGmtr2pofxdr7nVP_6Fcwzy3iYJv4JlqKpCoxWVh03n5z_nIidMjrrzeHK1EfFHYvwKyXGmZYJbea5XLjmhzGParae765tlEL1ABmifxx3iC4G4xMzNuC1rED6ukkoVTeV47u09AioGZzQ

The man was found by a family member with serious injuries from a kangaroo attack. Credit: 9News.

Medical personnel were called to the remote area, but they initially had problems reaching the man because of the kangaroo, which was apparently blocking the ambulance crew from approaching the victim.

Because of this, local law enforcement was dispatched, and a representative for the department reported the marsupial had to be shot dead because it was endangering the lives of the first responders who had been sent to the location.

According to police reports, the man was attacked by the kangaroo earlier in the day, and they believe that he was keeping the wild animal in his home ‘as a pet’. Residents in his neighbourhood said that the man has always lived alone.

Unfortunately, despite everyone's best attempts, the man could not be saved, and he passed away at the scene of the accident from the injuries he sustained from the attack.

iaMtt5pxx_kvK7bCwm4TrqLHvYqKg3DJMoebfAyVuBZ9i8oVx1Ax44rzszlG3WmFT1zsv5c6YgLaOYUZOOe7w4AC_C2Y7HAvUx2o21raECpP7c-HtwbE9kWgLo3LggYSjMKQWW8aV4GqIXHqGRaPd-iJh3GeJvePhyl9m5DMSHlGmNEvKM_XbYxvVA

Police said the man had been keeping the kangaroo as a pet. Credit: 9News.

Rarely do kangaroos attack humans; the last known fatality attributable to the marsupial occurred in New South Wales in 1936.

William Cruickshank, a hunter in his late thirties, died after breaking his jaw and suffering severe head injuries while attempting to save his two dogs from a scuffle with a kangaroo near Hillston, New South Wales.

Generally speaking, kangaroos are peaceful animals who rarely engage with humans. When they feel threatened or when their territory is being encroached upon by humans or other animals, their behaviour can become unpredictable and violent.

Members, while we hope you'll never need them, here are some things to keep in mind if you ever have an encounter with a violent wild kangaroo:
  • Don't approach the kangaroo head-on.
  • Avoid making a lot of eye contact with a kangaroo and keep your arms at your sides.
  • Avoid areas where male kangaroos display their strength and size to each other through fighting, sparring, or other aggressive behaviour.
  • Do not come in between a mother and her young.
  • If you see a kangaroo, keep your dog away from it. Kangaroos will fight back aggressively if they see a dog coming, which could put you and your pet in harm's way.

jCA25Yode33hFfrN5_7UXsAFJPtEzcTGUDs7NDb6MS179NoSN46RLQiigahVWoiKa3or1hsjwB84oo7T-D9Bs2Joip4liOKt0AenQP1Yw0lH8U64hSLzn9qtO5ZEV7A8Mo1dm7E-8wJuxw4ArHW4CbCn-1mhGEEggSEbO9uBTbnbtL4Buu0fpvDNhA

Kangaroo assaults are uncommon but result in severe injuries. Credit: 3AW.

If the worst happens and the kangaroo attacks you, drop to the ground and curl into a ball, covering your face and throat with your hands. Try to stay calm and still until the animal moves away, or if you can, stay low to the ground and move behind something for protection.

Once you've ensured your own safety, contact the authorities in your area right away.

Our thoughts go out to his family and friends. Always stay safe out there, members.

• Sad
Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
Sad what happened to the man. But kangaroos are not domesticated animals.

They only attack if they are threatened.

I remember when I was young there was a large house that kept around 10 kangaroos.
They had a wire fence so people could walk past and see them.

They would actually let you go inside and pat them if you asked.
I know there were no large kangaroos so maybe they were wallabies.

This was in a residential suburb , Riverwood Sydney

When I met my husband in 1975 , he never believed there were kangaroos living there , so we went for a walk and he couldn't believe his eyes.

I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to keep them as pets

Every time we drive past there we tell our kids and grandchildren about the lady with the kangaroos

The house still stands but no roos

Reactions: Ricci
I live on a 150 acres. There are Wallabies everywhere and about a dozen that come up to the house. If I open the door some of them would come in but it's not a good idea. When scared they go crazy and would destroy the interior of your room. They are very powerful animals and should be respected. Wild animals are not the problem. Wild dogs, foxes and especially feral cats are a big issue here. I shoot them when I get a chance because I love Australian wild life and cats do huge damage to Australian fauna, more than any other feral animal.
I believe that there are no "bad" animals but there are lots of lunatic, fanatic cat owners that are totally irresponsible. This is the main problem.
I rescue birds and when I was living in Sydney I had a lot of trouble with neighbours' cats. I warned them all that if any cat came into my yard and attack my birds again that cat would disappear. Some hated me for it but they got the message after I caught one.
Look after your pets by all means but don't make other people have to deal with them.

My son was viciously attacked by a wallaby which had recently lost its mate.
We were at a Queensland holiday resort, and we're making our way down to the beach.
About 30 yards away, a group of children were patting the animal.
We stopped fleetingly to watch, but then started off across the sand.
The animal bounded straight to my son, and scratched him furiously, frantically. The first point of contact was my 2-year-old's head...level with his eyes....which is where the animal would have got if my son hadn't turned a second earlier.
My son was scratched all down the back of his head and down his back.
He still has scars 35 years later.
The onlookers were in shock, as was I.
I hurled my handbag at the animal, and it bounded off, but my son rolled down the sandy slope into the ashes from where a fish had been cooked in the sand and coral the night before.
My little boy received deep cuts from the animal and from the coral.
I smothered him in lemon juice, as I knew coral carried highly infectious bacteria. I didn't know what the roo might pass on.
My son screamed, of course, but then he asked, "Can I have my swim now?"
The clean salt water was the best thing to clean his wounds.
He then got glandular fever, and was a very I'll little boy for over 12 months.
He couldn't go near any animal for about 15 years.....
Any wild animal is always wild, unpredictable, and not tame. Can't be trusted.

• Wow
Reactions: Ricci