Aussie seniors at risk of this 'silent killer' - here's what you need to know about aortic stenosis

As the saying goes, knowledge is power.

This becomes especially pertinent when it comes to our health – the last thing anyone wants to do is experience a medical emergency or hear that they need to undergo a major operation immediately.

Therefore, preventative is always better than reactive when it comes to health!

That is why it's so important for our members over the age of 55 to be aware of aortic stenosis, a common but silent killer that could be even more deadly than initially thought.

According to a study by the University of Notre Dame Australia and the National Echo Database Australia, it is estimated that a concerning 100,000 Australians are living with a severe form of this condition.

On top of this, this cardiac illness is also believed to affect one in every eight older Australians.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 8.03.12 AM.png
Aortic stenosis is the narrowing of the aortic valve opening, which makes it more difficult for blood to be pumped throughout the body. Credit: Pexels/Puwadon Sang-ngern.

So, what is aortic stenosis?

In simple terms, it's a narrowing of the aortic valve opening, making it tougher for blood to be pumped around the body.

As we grow older, it can get even worse, with up to 50 per cent of people with severe aortic stenosis symptoms dying within two years if their aortic valve is not replaced.

The University of Notre Dame Australia study found that people with even a mild case of aortic stenosis are far more likely to pass away within five years if left untreated compared to earlier estimates.

So if you happen to experience any of these symptoms, we recommend you book a health check as soon as you can:
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Fatigue (low energy)
  • Light-headedness
  • Dizziness or fainting
  • Difficulty while exercising
  • Swollen ankles and feet
  • Rapid or irregular heartbeat

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 8.03.05 AM.png
Aortic stenosis is referred to as a 'silent killer' due to the absence of symptoms in its early stages; if left untreated, it can be fatal. Credit: Pexels/Puwadon Sang-ngern.

Cardiologist and UNDA Professor David Playford says: 'Aortic stenosis is not something that's felt in the early stages. So, an individual who has aortic stenosis often has no idea that a problem is happening inside them.'

'The best way to pick it up is to actually listen with a stethoscope and then perform an echo (echocardiogram), which is an ultrasound of the heart, to diagnose it properly.'

Dietary and Lifestyle Suggestions for Preventive Aortic Stenosis

A good diet and healthy lifestyle can help to reduce the risk of developing aortic stenosis.

Some foods can even reduce the severity of the condition if it should arise. Eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, proteins, and whole grains may help to prevent the development of aortic stenosis.

Monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids (found in oily fish) may help to reduce the severity of symptoms. Adopting a healthier diet is one good step to reducing the risk of developing aortic stenosis.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 8.02.57 AM.png
Exercise improves cardiovascular health, strengthens the heart, and prevents other problems like high blood pressure and cholesterol. Credit: Pexels/Marcus Aurelius.

Regular exercise is also highly recommended to help prevent the development of aortic stenosis.

Regular cardio exercises, such as walking, swimming, or biking, at least three times a week may help to reduce the risk and severity of aortic stenosis. Exercise not only helps to improve overall cardiovascular health but also strengthens the heart and helps to prevent the development of other conditions, such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Finally, quitting smoking can also be an important step in reducing the risk of developing aortic stenosis.

Smoking can increase the risk of atherosclerosis and other conditions that can contribute to the risk of developing aortic stenosis. Reducing the consumption of alcohol may have similar benefits, as excessive consumption can lead to high blood pressure and heart problems.

Making some lifestyle modifications can go a long way in helping to prevent aortic stenosis. Eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, and reducing smoking and alcohol consumption can all be key steps in maintaining heart health and reducing the risk of developing aortic stenosis.
Key Takeaways

• A new study by the University of Notre Dame Australia and National Echo Database Australia found that up to 100,000 Australians are living with a severe form of aortic stenosis.
  • Aortic stenosis is a 'silent killer' because there are no symptoms in the early stages of the condition, and it can be deadly if left untreated.
  • People aged 55 and over are at a higher risk of aortic stenosis, and it is recommended that they have regular heart checks.
You read it here, members! Please take Professor Playford's advice and make an appointment with your GP to have your heart checked.

It could end up saving your life – and if you do spot any red flags, make sure you ask for an echocardiogram to ensure that you don't have aortic stenosis!

We hope you found this article useful! Check out the Heart Foundation's website to learn more about improving your heart health, and use the resources provided below to evaluate your own cardiovascular fitness.
Always be safe and healthy, everyone!

Sponsored
I'll take my chances of dying from an unexpected heart attack. It's over quickly.

However, our useless politicians, our scientifically illiterate politicians, who don't want to spend our money researching Covid vaccines, should read what Spain's research scientists have come up with. From SciTech Daily today.

"
The study was conducted by Spanish researchers from the Institute of Biomedicine of Seville and published in the prestigious journal Nature Neuroscience.

Although the main effects of COVID-19 disease, caused by infection with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, are seen in the respiratory system, many patients also experience significant neurological symptoms such as loss of smell, headaches, malaise, cognitive loss, epilepsy, ataxia, and encephalopathy. However, the specific impact of the virus on the nervous system is not yet well understood and it is unclear whether the vaccines developed to combat COVID-19 also protect against the spread of the virus to the central nervous system and confer protection against brain injury.

Now, using a mouse model susceptible to the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection, scientists demonstrated the ability of SARS-CoV-2 to infect different regions of the brain and to cause brain damage, and how the CNB-CSIC vaccine fully protects against infection of the brain. These findings are published in the prestigious journal Nature Neuroscience. The study was conducted a multidisciplinary team of Spanish researchers led by Dr. Javier Villadiego and Dr. Juan José Toledo-Aral (IBiS, CIBERNED and Department of Medical Physiology and Biophysics of the Faculty of Medicine of Seville) and Juan García-Arriaza (Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology of the CNB-CSIC, CIBERINFEC and PTI Global Health of CSIC), in collaboration with other groups from the University of Seville and the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)".

So this vaccine is likely to stop us, no doubt if given pre-infection, from suffering long-term deterioration of our brain after we have been hit by even a mild version of covid-19. But if you have had your 4th booster our generous government won't let you have a 5th...........

Reactions: Ricci and Macarj
Being unwell is no fun.
Friday last week, I had a rapid onset of a vicious migraine headache.
I am on preventative medication to stop them, as I have endured severe migraines since the age of 6.
I've been well -controlled for a good few years now, but last week, I was walking along the street and suddenly I couldn't see.
I knew I couldn't get on the bus to get home, so I made my way to the local Library, thinking I could rest my head for a bit there.
I ended up losing the ability to think , see and speak, and sat shaking and shivering for 6 hours until someone finally spoke to me.
Library staff called an ambulance, and I didn't know my name, or the day of the week.
No, I wasn't having a stroke, even tho I had one 40 years ago; no, I wasn't drunk; no, I hadn't taken drugs; but I couldn't talk, only nod or shake my head.
Finally, someone asked if I was having a migraine, and I nodded.
I had medication intravenously in hospital, and was kept in for 48 hours.
My vision finally returned, but I still have a thumping head if I cough or bend over.
I can't read yet.
A brain scan showed the old injury from the previous stroke, not a new stroke.
I'm waiting to be followed up.
It is awful being conscious but not being able to answer questions....when the answers have left the brain!

Being unwell is no fun.
Friday last week, I had a rapid onset of a vicious migraine headache.
I am on preventative medication to stop them, as I have endured severe migraines since the age of 6.
I've been well -controlled for a good few years now, but last week, I was walking along the street and suddenly I couldn't see.
I knew I couldn't get on the bus to get home, so I made my way to the local Library, thinking I could rest my head for a bit there.
I ended up losing the ability to think , see and speak, and sat shaking and shivering for 6 hours until someone finally spoke to me.
Library staff called an ambulance, and I didn't know my name, or the day of the week.
No, I wasn't having a stroke, even tho I had one 40 years ago; no, I wasn't drunk; no, I hadn't taken drugs; but I couldn't talk, only nod or shake my head.
Finally, someone asked if I was having a migraine, and I nodded.
I had medication intravenously in hospital, and was kept in for 48 hours.
My vision finally returned, but I still have a thumping head if I cough or bend over.
I can't read yet.
A brain scan showed the old injury from the previous stroke, not a new stroke.
I'm waiting to be followed up.
It is awful being conscious but not being able to answer questions....when the answers have left the brain!
I hope you are much improved and that you will soon be fighting fit again. You must have been so scared. Do you wear a medic alert bracelet or necklace? I have found so much comfort in wearing one, knowing the medics can access my history and deal with me accordingly should I be unable to verbalise what I'm feeling. :)

Thank you, Ricci.
I still feel as if I've been hit by a truck, but do feel so much better than this time last week.
I don't wear a bracelet or necklace, but after that episode last week, I am thinking about it.
I've also been informed about entering phone numbers on an app called ICE on the mobile phone.
(In Case of Emergency, it's called).
Emergency Services know to look for it on your phone....police, fire brigade and ambulances....where you can include names and phone numbers of people to contact.
It's certainly a wake-up call, and am thankful for the warning.
I have the best possible outcome, police may have had to look for my daughter who I haven't lived with since 1994.

Reactions: Ricci
Thank you, Ricci.
I still feel as if I've been hit by a truck, but do feel so much better than this time last week.
I don't wear a bracelet or necklace, but after that episode last week, I am thinking about it.
I've also been informed about entering phone numbers on an app called ICE on the mobile phone.
Emergency Services know to look for it on your phone....police, fire brigade and ambulances....where you can include names and phone numbers of people to contact.
I have the best possible outcome, police may have had to look for my daughter who I haven't lived with since 1994.
I have my son listed under ICE on my phone. Although he is in Vic and I'm NSW he is all over my health issues and can point the authorities in the right direction. :)

Reactions: Laurleen and JayKay

This becomes especially pertinent when it comes to our health – the last thing anyone wants to do is experience a medical emergency or hear that they need to undergo a major operation immediately.

That is why it's so important for our members over the age of 55 to be aware of aortic stenosis, a common but silent killer that could be even more deadly than initially thought.

According to a study by the University of Notre Dame Australia and the National Echo Database Australia, it is estimated that a concerning 100,000 Australians are living with a severe form of this condition.

On top of this, this cardiac illness is also believed to affect one in every eight older Australians.

View attachment 11355
Aortic stenosis is the narrowing of the aortic valve opening, which makes it more difficult for blood to be pumped throughout the body. Credit: Pexels/Puwadon Sang-ngern.

In simple terms, it's a narrowing of the aortic valve opening, making it tougher for blood to be pumped around the body.

As we grow older, it can get even worse, with up to 50 per cent of people with severe aortic stenosis symptoms dying within two years if their aortic valve is not replaced.

The University of Notre Dame Australia study found that people with even a mild case of aortic stenosis are far more likely to pass away within five years if left untreated compared to earlier estimates.

So if you happen to experience any of these symptoms, we recommend you book a health check as soon as you can:
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Fatigue (low energy)
  • Light-headedness
  • Dizziness or fainting

View attachment 11356
Aortic stenosis is referred to as a 'silent killer' due to the absence of symptoms in its early stages; if left untreated, it can be fatal. Credit: Pexels/Puwadon Sang-ngern.

Cardiologist and UNDA Professor David Playford says: 'Aortic stenosis is not something that's felt in the early stages. So, an individual who has aortic stenosis often has no idea that a problem is happening inside them.'

'The best way to pick it up is to actually listen with a stethoscope and then perform an echo (echocardiogram), which is an ultrasound of the heart, to diagnose it properly.'

A good diet and healthy lifestyle can help to reduce the risk of developing aortic stenosis.

Some foods can even reduce the severity of the condition if it should arise. Eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, proteins, and whole grains may help to prevent the development of aortic stenosis.

Monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids (found in oily fish) may help to reduce the severity of symptoms. Adopting a healthier diet is one good step to reducing the risk of developing aortic stenosis.

View attachment 11357
Exercise improves cardiovascular health, strengthens the heart, and prevents other problems like high blood pressure and cholesterol. Credit: Pexels/Marcus Aurelius.

Regular exercise is also highly recommended to help prevent the development of aortic stenosis.

Regular cardio exercises, such as walking, swimming, or biking, at least three times a week may help to reduce the risk and severity of aortic stenosis. Exercise not only helps to improve overall cardiovascular health but also strengthens the heart and helps to prevent the development of other conditions, such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Finally, quitting smoking can also be an important step in reducing the risk of developing aortic stenosis.

Smoking can increase the risk of atherosclerosis and other conditions that can contribute to the risk of developing aortic stenosis. Reducing the consumption of alcohol may have similar benefits, as excessive consumption can lead to high blood pressure and heart problems.

Making some lifestyle modifications can go a long way in helping to prevent aortic stenosis. Eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, and reducing smoking and alcohol consumption can all be key steps in maintaining heart health and reducing the risk of developing aortic stenosis.
Key Takeaways

• A new study by the University of Notre Dame Australia and National Echo Database Australia found that up to 100,000 Australians are living with a severe form of aortic stenosis.
  • Aortic stenosis is a 'silent killer' because there are no symptoms in the early stages of the condition, and it can be deadly if left untreated.
  • People aged 55 and over are at a higher risk of aortic stenosis, and it is recommended that they have regular heart checks.
You read it here, members! Please take Professor Playford's advice and make an appointment with your GP to have your heart checked.

It could end up saving your life – and if you do spot any red flags, make sure you ask for an echocardiogram to ensure that you don't have aortic stenosis!

We hope you found this article useful! Check out the Heart Foundation's website to learn more about improving your heart health, and use the resources provided below to evaluate your own cardiovascular fitness.
You lost me at BMI calculator, I believe that has been debunked!!

View attachment 11355

• Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Fatigue (low energy)
  • Light-headedness
  • Dizziness or fainting

View attachment 11356

View attachment 11357

Key Takeaways

Hi,

Thanks for the info but my heart is in good nick I have never smoked and I dont drink alcohol I eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies and fish too. Vey much doubt if I will ever develop this condition.

Eve Kelman-Jones

Thank you, Ricci.
I have the ICE app on my phone, and even though I haven't needed it in an emergency, it has proved very useful. I've been in hospital a couple of times and every time they ask me what medications I'm taking, and I can just show them the list in the ICE app - much easier than trying to remember. And the app is very easy to update with new info or to delete info. Even if your phone is locked they can swipe the screen and the app will open - nothing else on your phone will, just ICE

Reactions: Laurleen and Ricci

View attachment 11355

• Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Fatigue (low energy)
  • Light-headedness
  • Dizziness or fainting

View attachment 11356

View attachment 11357

Key Takeaways

I must admit that to aid my partner both in regard to any grieving and of course the cost aspect. To be quite honest I'd rather she went and bought a new pair of shoes, also although jokingly my thoracic surgeon reckons they'll be asking for their money back when they see what's already been taken out!! my time comes, I have left my body to science.

I heard about this and asked my GP to please listen to my heart using a stethoscope - he refused!!! Said it was rubbish.
I have changed doctors and will ask my new doctor to do it

• Wow
JayKay, I too have suffered from migraines since just after the birth of my third child. Apparently a big hormonal change can trigger them, which is why many people start getting them at puberty. I had high hopes that mine would ease after a fourth child, but no. After menopause, maybe? Again, no. Mine lasted for three days each time. I tried several different medications over the years, including two different preventatives. The preventatives didn’t work, and some of the others worked sometimes, until my doctor put me on a magic little pill called Relpax, which gets rid of my migraine within half an hour, ever single time. You might very well have tried this, but if not, then maybe ask your doctor about it. I realise not every medication will work for every person, but it could be worth trying. It’s changed my life! I hope you’re feeling better.