Aussie mum shares her INCREDIBLE markdown meat haul – whole chickens for less than a dollar!

A frugal Aussie mum has won the praise of dozens of people on social media after showing off her haul of heavily discounted chicken and steak from Coles.

On a popular bargain-hunting Facebook group, the woman who hails from Sydney shared the budget-friendly finds that will allow her, her three children, and her partner, who is currently recuperating in hospital, to have a sufficient number of meals for the coming days.

"I went to my local Coles on a whim tonight and found these great deals. Six chickens for less than a dollar each, Korean BBQ chicken kebabs for 80 cents, and scotch fillet for 95 cents," she wrote in her post, adding that she's seriously considering purchasing a second chest freezer just to store all the goods.

Each of the six whole chickens normally costs more than $24, but the Coles customer got them for less than a dollar. The scotch fillet steak was reduced from $19 to 95 cents, and the Korean Barbecue chicken kebabs were reduced from $16 to 80 cents.

What an extremely lucky mum – these are such good bargains!

2nKnHDez3xvpNvfcDPn-t6dvykkypdlcWIoRaXOWHjCFDHS2iL5CBcUztg-WVChbhAGtn640GzKHYtMLV_ta3ZFuaXd_tx9EH0EsO0d-jNkPW-WsjHpiGxaF1uQX1uvBFlg0sdN7NqTROWVVdA

Hundreds of people were impressed by a savvy mother's incredible markdown meat haul. Credit: Daily Mail.

She stated in the comments that she had prepared the kebab chicken with mashed potato and vegetables for herself and her children, and that she would bring the leftovers to her husband who was hospitalised.

"Every time I go to the hospital, we like to have a meal together, and buying hospital food or takeout is expensive," she said.

Yahoo News Australia spoke to the pregnant mum-of-three, who said she often finds great deals at the supermarket, but none as good as her recent haul.

"I'm usually lucky to get half price or less off," she said, adding, "There's no particular timeframe I go, I have three kids on the spectrum and my partner in hospital after a leg amputation. I'm also pregnant, so just do shopping when I can."

When asked for advice on how to get a good deal at the grocery store, the savvy shopper advised always looking in the section where items were on sale and keeping a record of how much money you spend.

She also suggested adding a little bit of extra money to your shopping budget in order to purchase items in bulk in the event that they are significantly discounted.

And speaking of filling your freezer without breaking the bank, the video below can provide you with some tips and pointers on how to properly freeze meat so that it maintains its fresh quality for a longer period of time!

Credit: Jordan Page, FunCheapOrFree

Sponsored
These specials must only happen in the big cities. I have never ever seen anything like that in our nearest supermarket..I would also keep an eye on the dates, very wary of chicken knocked down to be used on that day.. Actually I will correct myself and say it`s fine to use on that actual day but it`s a tad iffy if you want to freeze it.

I save heaps on chicken meals. I buy a whole large chicken when on special and and cut up the sections myself. 1 Chicken breast make 2 chicken schnitzels,with the other breast I made scallopini with mushrooms. With the Maryland and wings I make a roast with vegetables and the chicken carcauss I make a stock then add vegetables and make a yummy soup.
I bought the chook for $10. 55. It was over 2 kilos in weight.
Can't go wrong.

As long as they are frozen as soon as she got home and are defrosted in the fridge and cooked when defrosted there should not be a problem even of the used buy date was that date - I have done it though never got it that cheap and had no issues.

Aussie mum shares her INCREDIBLE markdown meat haul – whole chickens for less than a dollar!

A frugal Aussie mum has won the praise of dozens of people on social media after showing off her haul of heavily discounted chicken and steak from Coles.

On a popular bargain-hunting Facebook group, the woman who hails from Sydney shared the budget-friendly finds that will allow her, her three children, and her partner, who is currently recuperating in hospital, to have a sufficient number of meals for the coming days.

"I went to my local Coles on a whim tonight and found these great deals. Six chickens for less than a dollar each, Korean BBQ chicken kebabs for 80 cents, and scotch fillet for 95 cents," she wrote in her post, adding that she's seriously considering purchasing a second chest freezer just to store all the goods.

Each of the six whole chickens normally costs more than $24, but the Coles customer got them for less than a dollar. The scotch fillet steak was reduced from $19 to 95 cents, and the Korean Barbecue chicken kebabs were reduced from $16 to 80 cents.

What an extremely lucky mum – these are such good bargains!

2nKnHDez3xvpNvfcDPn-t6dvykkypdlcWIoRaXOWHjCFDHS2iL5CBcUztg-WVChbhAGtn640GzKHYtMLV_ta3ZFuaXd_tx9EH0EsO0d-jNkPW-WsjHpiGxaF1uQX1uvBFlg0sdN7NqTROWVVdA

Hundreds of people were impressed by a savvy mother's incredible markdown meat haul. Credit: Daily Mail.

She stated in the comments that she had prepared the kebab chicken with mashed potato and vegetables for herself and her children, and that she would bring the leftovers to her husband who was hospitalised.

"Every time I go to the hospital, we like to have a meal together, and buying hospital food or takeout is expensive," she said.

Yahoo News Australia spoke to the pregnant mum-of-three, who said she often finds great deals at the supermarket, but none as good as her recent haul.

"I'm usually lucky to get half price or less off," she said, adding, "There's no particular timeframe I go, I have three kids on the spectrum and my partner in hospital after a leg amputation. I'm also pregnant, so just do shopping when I can."

When asked for advice on how to get a good deal at the grocery store, the savvy shopper advised always looking in the section where items were on sale and keeping a record of how much money you spend.

She also suggested adding a little bit of extra money to your shopping budget in order to purchase items in bulk in the event that they are significantly discounted.

And speaking of filling your freezer without breaking the bank, the video below can provide you with some tips and pointers on how to properly freeze meat so that it maintains its fresh quality for a longer period of time!

Credit: Jordan Page, FunCheapOrFree

Good on her but I’m assuming that the chickens must have been if not at their use by date then very close to it! I’d be wary of freezing meat at that stage to thaw & use later! Not a bargain if you develop food poisoning from it!

I see mega deals all the time. I think I have built in radar for them. Like I bought four whole roast chickens at Coles at only a few dollars each. Home, pulled them apart, in ziploc bags, everything ready to eat in the freezer. The carcasses in my big soup pot and heaps of stock, also in the freezer. Easy, peasy. I go to the sale sections and stock up on all sorts of goodies. Found a whole crate of high quality yogurt on for pennies, home and in the freezer they went. Perfect after a few seconds in the microwave. Lots of foods can be frozen.