Aussie mum bothered over R-rated find in one of Kmart’s Easter items: “Are these meant for kids?”

Easter’s only a few weeks away, which means now is the perfect time to get into the holiday spirit!

Celebrate the festive long weekend with your kids and the grandkids because nothing says Easter quite like a fun-filled day with the young ones.

In the morning, you can plan an egg hunt in the backyard. After that, you can spend the afternoon with them doing a couple of Easter-themed games and charades. Sounds good, right?

For some super fun Easter game ideas, check out this video below!

Credit: The Johnson Crew.

Thankfully, almost all retailers in the country are getting in on the holiday spirit as well, so you no longer have to worry about searching far and wide to source Easter-themed items.

Besides, you can always trust Kmart to have you covered!

The retail store has recently released several egg-citing and egg-celent items as part of their Easter range. Check them out here!

However, mums on Facebook are warning that not all of their items are “kid-friendly”.

On a popular Facebook group, one mum has shared that she was left bothered after taking a closer look inside one of the store’s Easter crackers.

If you’re not familiar with the item, the Easter crackers contain an Easter joke and a charade item to be acted out during games.

“Be aware, the crackers have Christmas jokes in them,” said the mum, after opening her crackers. The small piece of paper included a Christmas joke, which seemed untimely given the season.

But there was one more glaring detail.

0-gtLIAHKyseQ7vNcK3PDPiFxWWbY21GUMJeR81phG_FZCCR7WAsKhYviWNekyzeNIrugyV4ObTvUXknQbU8I2hGd9RxItuAxba3_93hY0vRXpV0DEIpYg_6D8hiHcdUS82a8dSm

A mother has been left stunned after finding an R-rated instruction in a Kmart Easter Cracker aimed at kids. Credit: Facebook.
The charades section of the note instructs the player to act out the raunchy, R-rated film “Fifty Shades of Grey”, which left several parents and fellow Kmart shoppers raising their eyebrows on social media.

Plenty of people questioned Kmart for including an R-rated subject in their Easter items.

“Are these meant for kids?” One mum asked. Another agreed and added: “How does one act out Fifty Shades of Grey to a family gathering?”

“How do kids know how to act out Fifty Shades?” said a third.

A fourth parent warned others and advised them to have adults read the jokes and charade items first before handing them to the kids.

On the other hand, some people were less concerned. In fact, some of them even found it hilarious.

“I bought these too. Kids don't care, they just like to pop them. And at $2 for a pack of six, I don't think anyone would really care,” said one user.

Another mum wrote: “Haha I just got these for my son yesterday, he loves crackers! Luckily he's only almost two so he can't read yet!”

What are your thoughts, folks?

Is it okay to expose kids to these kinds of jokes, or should Kmart pull these items from the shelves?

Sponsored
"Fifty Shades of Grey" is not a suitable suggestion for charades for kids, despite not needing to know the meaning in order to act it out.
Something I don't follow......has the Mum already cracked the Easter cracker herself?
It's not Easter yet....?????
And since when have crackers got anything to do with the Christian remembrance of Jesus' death and resurrection

Last edited:
Aussie mum bothered over R-rated find in one of Kmart’s Easter items: “Are these meant for kids?”

Easter’s only a few weeks away, which means now is the perfect time to get into the holiday spirit!

Celebrate the festive long weekend with your kids and the grandkids because nothing says Easter quite like a fun-filled day with the young ones.

In the morning, you can plan an egg hunt in the backyard. After that, you can spend the afternoon with them doing a couple of Easter-themed games and charades. Sounds good, right?

Thankfully, almost all retailers in the country are getting in on the holiday spirit as well, so you no longer have to worry about searching far and wide to source Easter-themed items.

The retail store has recently released several egg-citing and egg-celent items as part of their Easter range. Check them out here!

However, mums on Facebook are warning that not all of their items are “kid-friendly”.

On a popular Facebook group, one mum has shared that she was left bothered after taking a closer look inside one of the store’s Easter crackers.

If you’re not familiar with the item, the Easter crackers contain an Easter joke and a charade item to be acted out during games.

“Be aware, the crackers have Christmas jokes in them,” said the mum, after opening her crackers. The small piece of paper included a Christmas joke, which seemed untimely given the season.

0-gtLIAHKyseQ7vNcK3PDPiFxWWbY21GUMJeR81phG_FZCCR7WAsKhYviWNekyzeNIrugyV4ObTvUXknQbU8I2hGd9RxItuAxba3_93hY0vRXpV0DEIpYg_6D8hiHcdUS82a8dSm

A mother has been left stunned after finding an R-rated instruction in a Kmart Easter Cracker aimed at kids. Credit: Facebook.
The charades section of the note instructs the player to act out the raunchy, R-rated film “Fifty Shades of Grey”, which left several parents and fellow Kmart shoppers raising their eyebrows on social media.

Plenty of people questioned Kmart for including an R-rated subject in their Easter items.

“Are these meant for kids?” One mum asked. Another agreed and added: “How does one act out Fifty Shades of Grey to a family gathering?”

A fourth parent warned others and advised them to have adults read the jokes and charade items first before handing them to the kids.

On the other hand, some people were less concerned. In fact, some of them even found it hilarious.

“I bought these too. Kids don't care, they just like to pop them. And at $2 for a pack of six, I don't think anyone would really care,” said one user.

Another mum wrote: “Haha I just got these for my son yesterday, he loves crackers! Luckily he's only almost two so he can't read yet!”

Is it okay to expose kids to these kinds of jokes, or should Kmart pull these items from the shelves?

No it’s not. Definitely pull them and why have Xmas crackers At all? Whether religious or not, it’s not the right time for them.

Yet another storm in a teacup. If children do not know what 50 Shades of Grey is about, they'll ask their parents who can then deflect their attention. If the children do know what the reference is about, well ...

Of far more interest to me is the question whether children actually still play charades?

No, of course it’s not! Sure, a two year old would not understand the message, but I have a five year old grandson who would want to know what that meant, and would keep on asking. Besides - Easter crackers? How long have they been around?

What does Easter crackers have to do with Jesus death. How disrespectful to my Christian faith. I used to explain the eggs by saying all new life begins in a egg and Jesus dying gave us a new life but this is ridiculous

It would seem that Easter is fast going the way of Christmas. An overhyped event, that is far removed from its origins. A retailers dream, money that most people can ill afford being handed over for overpriced cheap tat just because we have been drip fed a line. It seems to me that there are a lot of people out there suffering from FOMO (fear of missing out).:rolleyes:

Yet another storm in a teacup. If children do not know what 50 Shades of Grey is about, they'll ask their parents who can then deflect their attention. If the children do know what the reference is about, well ...

Of far more interest to me is the question whether children actually still play charades?
Try deflecting the attention of my grandson! No way!

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci

If there’s a toy, stickers or something for the child then it’s great for adults too. The child gets to have fun and the adult gets the jokes, a total family affair👍😆

Reactions: Ricci
If there’s a toy, stickers or something for the child then it’s great for adults too. The child gets to have fun and the adult gets the jokes, a total family affair👍😆
Except if the child gets to the cracker first. Which parents takes a packet/cracker before it’s open. I never opened my kid’s Easter eggs.

No wonder kids get away with anything these days at adults expense. When you ask what Easter represents the majority of kids answer

"Easter eggs and holidays" and the adults "Golf and booze." The religious area is the TRUE meaning of Easter and how Jesus was crucified so that we are promised Eternal Life. Surely we can keep one day of the year (Good Friday) with solemnity, grace and respect for "Our Lord." Thanks be to God. Amen.

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
Charades is played by non verbally describing the words. One doesn't have to have seen a film to describe it during charades. Easy enough to act out just the words without knowing what the film is about. Can we please stop ranting just for the sake of it. Put a bit of thought into it first.

Reactions: Ricci and DiMcg
Try deflecting the attention of my grandson! No way!
@Dicky, you are very fortunate that you have a grandson with an insatiable curiosity - I hope he never loses that! Curiosity is such an important pillar of creativity and intelligence.

In your case, I'd suggest that you tell him the truth - the manufacturers made a mistake and printed the title of a book that one cannot act out as - frankly (and my apologies to all 50 Shades fans) - it's very boring and badly written. This could lead to a discussion about quality control, how one often has to double-check one's work after completion, and then look at other misprints (numerous examples online).

You could also follow the art/colour route and explore the many different shades of all the colours around you. Show him the difference between aquamarine, turquoise, teal etc. If you have a Bunnings paint colour chart handy, that alone could provide loads of fun and he can start making up his own names for colours.

Good luck!