Aussie cleaner discovers a ‘hidden’ feature in her dishwasher

A professional cleaner shared a video on TikTok about her recent discovery: a ‘hidden’ feature in her dishwasher to easily clean dirty cutlery.

Liesl Elizabeth runs a cleaning service called Clean-Freak Cleaning Co. in Perth, and on their TikTok account, she shared a video showing how the knives and forks perfectly fit on the top rack of her dishwasher.

“On today’s episode of learning the obvious,” she joked in the caption.

KDzkL_Qq-jwQMfg9bPlkLJXh7h7FU89b2V1698SI2o-X4Jw0vX6QljXkzM3dHceSo0y4taXQoe7NU_jWXoQAP0meMKviXFdVQEQKGUu_YfgQpOASk0qRr8nt6wcWgf84dy6jhQoZ=s1600

In most cases, she used the ridges for long knives, chopsticks, and other bigger utensils. Photo from user cleanfreak_cleaningco on TikTok.
The video gained over 15,000 views and 900 likes after a week of posting, and in the comments section, many other users confessed they never knew the feature.

“Is this witchcraft?” One person was too amazed by the discovery.

“Omg, I feel so dumb,” another added, and Liesl replied by saying she did too, and she had the dishwasher for years now.

Other users commented about how they already knew the feature.

“People didn't know this?” while another added: “How else would you do it?”

“It’s literally illustrated in the user manual,” one person said, to which Liesl responded: “But who has time to read that?”

There are also those who quickly checked if their own dishwasher has the same feature, and some said that their dishwasher only comes with a cutlery basket.

Some even humoured that they do not have the patience to individually place the cutlery within the ridges.

“I would not have the patience; just chuck them in.”

“It’s so much easier to just throw them in the basket, another added. Liesl agreed with the user, responding: “Trust me, this was for show. There's no chance I'm doing this every time.”

In her defence, she is a mum of three young kids and has a business to run. She is very busy.

Ashley Iredale, a consumer expert from CHOICE, was asked which was best for cleaning: a cutlery basket or a tray?

“I'm a basket man. I find loading and unloading each item individually in the tray is a time-consuming chore, and the cutlery tray also reduces the height of other items you can put in the dishwasher.”

He concluded by saying, “We've found it makes no difference - it comes down to personal preference.”

How about you - when it comes to cleaning cutlery, are you a basket or a tray person? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored

A professional cleaner shared a video on TikTok about her recent discovery: a ‘hidden’ feature in her dishwasher to easily clean dirty cutlery.

Liesl Elizabeth runs a cleaning service called Clean-Freak Cleaning Co. in Perth, and on their TikTok account, she shared a video showing how the knives and forks perfectly fit on the top rack of her dishwasher.

KDzkL_Qq-jwQMfg9bPlkLJXh7h7FU89b2V1698SI2o-X4Jw0vX6QljXkzM3dHceSo0y4taXQoe7NU_jWXoQAP0meMKviXFdVQEQKGUu_YfgQpOASk0qRr8nt6wcWgf84dy6jhQoZ=s1600

In most cases, she used the ridges for long knives, chopsticks, and other bigger utensils. Photo from user cleanfreak_cleaningco on TikTok.
The video gained over 15,000 views and 900 likes after a week of posting, and in the comments section, many other users confessed they never knew the feature.

“Omg, I feel so dumb,” another added, and Liesl replied by saying she did too, and she had the dishwasher for years now.

“It’s literally illustrated in the user manual,” one person said, to which Liesl responded: “But who has time to read that?”

There are also those who quickly checked if their own dishwasher has the same feature, and some said that their dishwasher only comes with a cutlery basket.

Some even humoured that they do not have the patience to individually place the cutlery within the ridges.

“It’s so much easier to just throw them in the basket, another added. Liesl agreed with the user, responding: “Trust me, this was for show. There's no chance I'm doing this every time.”

In her defence, she is a mum of three young kids and has a business to run. She is very busy.

Ashley Iredale, a consumer expert from CHOICE, was asked which was best for cleaning: a cutlery basket or a tray?

“I'm a basket man. I find loading and unloading each item individually in the tray is a time-consuming chore, and the cutlery tray also reduces the height of other items you can put in the dishwasher.”

He concluded by saying, “We've found it makes no difference - it comes down to personal preference.”

How about you - when it comes to cleaning cutlery, are you a basket or a tray person? Let us know in the comments below!

I Found this by chance and always use it, I find the cutlery much cleaner as they wash individually and it’s no more time consuming that stacking them in the basket, which sometimes if too close to each other do not get washed properly.

Doh! What did she think it was for? It may take a little longer but you get less spotting and corrosion using the tray as opposed to using the basket as the utensils don't touch each other and all surfaces get cleaned!

All good for the cutlery on the top shelf but how do l get my pots into the basket?? Lol.

Only have a Cutlery basket in my Dishwasher, and always put upside down (same as Ruby Chick) in the basket

I would only buy a dishwasher with a cutlery drawer! I place all the spoons together, the forks and the knives. After they're washed, just grab a handful of each type and put in the drawer. So much easier and quicker!

I would only buy a dishwasher with a cutlery drawer! I place all the spoons together, the forks and the knives. After they're washed, just grab a handful of each type and put in the drawer. So much easier and quicker!
Thanks for the tip, my old dishwasher is 21 years old, will be out looking for a new one soon.👍