Are you unknowingly breaking this obscure car rule Aussies drivers seldom know about?

The vast intricacies of governing bylaws – coupled with the fact that legislation and penalties can vary dramatically depending on which state or territory you reside in – make keeping abreast of all the rules and regulations surrounding driving a daunting endeavour. The penalties for lack of knowledge can be severe. After all, 'Ignorance of the law excuses not', as legal eagles often quip.

Members, we'd like to bring to your attention a particularly enigmatic rule today concerning unregistered cars – a rule that, despite being less known, can bring with it hefty fines if violated.

As all our members would attest, running a vehicle often gives the impression that a black hole has mysteriously appeared in your purse or wallet. Registrations, services, insurance - these expenses have the sneaky habit of piling up. Surely, saving a few dollars by not registering a seldom-used car wouldn’t hurt, right? Wrong.

Here’s a little-known fact you might find both intriguing and alarming: In New South Wales, it's entirely illegal to park an unregistered vehicle on a road or a road-related area more than 15 days after the vehicle’s registration has expired. Get spotted doing this, and you could be slapped with a staggering $704 fine and up to 20 penalty units.

shutterstock_2300125235.jpg
Sticking your hand out of a moving vehicle can attract some pretty hefty fines. Source: Shutterstock

Think this rule is exclusive to NSW? Regrettably, it isn’t. Penalties may vary across different regions of Australia, but the crux of the law remains consistent across the country, and owners can be fined as heavily as if they were caught driving an unregistered car.

But hold onto your hats, because we're not finished yet. We’ve unearthed another rule that could catch you off-guard. This one pertains to something as simple and seemingly innocent as waving out the car window. Yes, you read that right. Waving.

According to Budget Direct, both drivers and passengers may face a fine of $337 and a loss of three demerit points if they're ever caught committing this unassuming act. 'Even winding down the window and stretching your arm outside to cool down could also get you into a pickle,' they claimed.

Regardless of the state or territory you’re in, it's prohibited for any part of your body to be outside a moving vehicle at any time. Who would have thought that an arm extended could result in a financial penalty?

Our aim in highlighting these obscure rules is not to alarm you but rather to help us all remain aware of the laws and steer clear of unnecessary fines. We can all agree that our hard-earned cash is better utilised for spoiling the grandkids, going on that dream holiday or simply boosting our savings rather than being swallowed up by a penalty for an overlooked law.

Key Takeaways
  • Car owners in New South Wales could face fines if caught parking an unregistered car on the street for more than 15 days after the vehicle’s registration has expired.
  • The penalty for breaching this rule could be as high as $704 and up to 20 penalty units.
  • Another lesser-known rule that could incur fines for motorists is extending any part of the body outside the moving vehicle, even just waving or cooling down an arm outside the window.
  • The penalty for breaking this rule could lead to fines of $337 and a loss of three demerit points.

So, next time you're gearing up for a lovely drive in the Outback or just a short city trip, keep in mind these obscure rules. Prevent your savings from being squandered on fines and ensure your journey on the road is smooth, enjoyable and, above all, in line with the law.

Drive safe, members! Do you have any obscure road rules you'd like to share? Let us know below.

Sponsored
Holden HD Premiers came out with driver side locks. The base model did not.
Why would a can manufacturer NOT put a lock on the drivers side door. As I said my parents car had a lock on the drivers door as well as the front passengers door. The EH had it so it would be carried onto the next series. You need to google both EH (64)& HD (65)holden Special and look at photos of the RH door.

Many times in Hobart I've seen drivers with their whole arm out the window hanging on to the roof. As if it was going to fly away
Happens all over Australia and the police seem not to care. They even drive past people with arms outside and don't even book them. Just like driving around with fog light on when no fog around or even with head light out as well. RBT's are even a good time to remind drivers of their obligations about the road rules and laws.

Reactions: Kaylee
Anything to fill the governments coffers. I’m guessing most police wouldn’t book people for these laws unless they were having a bad day and weren’t able to get the required number of fines allocated to them each shift.
What is your proof that this fine is to “fill the government coffers” , as you say? If you have an accident with your arm out you may end up losing that arm or worse; it is a fine to help people avoid this possibility.

I worked for QPS for 14 years and the benefit to the service is NOT to fill their coffers BUT to avoid the waste of time by QPS and our ambulance service having to go to an accident that could have possibly been avoided & to save an immense ‘bleed out’ or death from that bleed.

It would pay you to have the ‘correct’ facts at hand before commenting.

Cops justifying their job instead of chasing the criminals ot revenue raising 🙄
NO, they don’t need to justify their jobs or use fines for not obeying the road rules. Rules change in all situations and all governments AND IT IS UP TO EACH OF US TO OBSERVE ANY NEW RULE; the government does not have time or resources to send each and every person a notice of any change in the rules. If each department did that then people, like you, that complain about “filling coffers” will be paying more for the time, resources, staff wages etc that pay for this “reminder” and you will be complaining once more about the extra costs to you.

Happens all over Australia and the police seem not to care. They even drive past people with arms outside and don't even book them. Just like driving around with fog light on when no fog around or even with head light out as well. RBT's are even a good time to remind drivers of their obligations about the road rules and laws.
It is not necessarily about “police seem not to care”. How do you know the reason they are on the road is that they do “not care”. They could be on a much more important job like a robbery, shooting, accident etc. Do you not agree these last comments could be the reason for them being on the road? Think about it.

No state in Australia has the resources to sit there waiting for an arm out the window or fog lights on - I don’t like the fog lights either - but we don’t have enough resources (perhaps you should have taken up one of these jobs in your working life)! Too many who don’t know what police work involves are the first to complain AND whinge when they are caught & fined for something they should not have done and should have known about.

I don’t understand how people don’t know these laws. They’re in the road code that we’re meant to read and learn, before we get our license, at least they were when I was going for my license

I had a book of 278 road rules to learn 45 years ago and when tested I needed 27 out of 30 (or better) to obtain my learners permit. Once the license was obtained, there was no further information given out for ALL road rules and in fact, didn't have internet back then to look them up.
Some years back I managed to download the full Rules and Regs for Victorian driving from VicRoads but just one problem with that. Some rules will sometimes get amended and there is no notification that these have been amended. Hence when you do something wrong you get punished for it, especially if you had no knowledge of the driving offence.
How many people in Victoria know that you do not need to wear a seat belt under the following circumstances for example?
Rule 267 Exemptions from wearing seatbelts
(1) A person is exempt from wearing a seatbelt if—
(a) the Corporation has certified that it would be
impracticable, undesirable or inexpedient for
the person to wear a seatbelt; and
(b) the conditions stated in the certificate (if any)
and those imposed under subrule (4) are
complied with; and
(c) in the case of a person who is a passenger in
a motor vehicle with 2 or more rows of
seats—the person is not in the front row of
seats.
Note
Motor vehicle is defined in the Road Safety Act 1986.
(1A) A person in or on a motor vehicle is exempt from
wearing a seatbelt if—
(a) the seating position that he or she occupies is
not fitted with a seatbelt; and
r. 267
Part 16—Rules for Persons Travelling in or on Vehicles
Road Safety Road Rules 2009
S.R. No. 94/2009
(b) there is no requirement for that seating
position to be fitted with a seatbelt; and
(c) all passengers in the vehicle who are exempt
from wearing a seatbelt are complying with
subrule (8).
(1B) Subrule (1A) does not apply to a person who is
under 7 years old.
(1C) To avoid doubt, subrule (1A) does not authorise a
passenger to whom subrule 266(3) or (3A) applies
to occupy a seat in the front row of seats in a
vehicle that has 2 or more rows of seats.
(2) A person in or on a motor vehicle is exempt from
wearing a seatbelt if—
(a) the person is engaged in the door-to-door
delivery or collection of goods, or in the
collection of waste or garbage, and is
required to get in or out of the vehicle, or on
or off the vehicle, at frequent intervals; and
(b) the vehicle is not travelling over

25 kilometres per hour.

These rules date back to 2010 but some will have already been amended without notification to the general public since then I'm sure.
So Sherza, you say
I don’t understand how people don’t know these laws. They’re in the road code that we’re meant to read and learn, before we get our license, at least they were when I was going for my license

think you know them all now? ;-)
Plenty of people don't know the Laws of the Land, including me.

Doesn’t take a lot of our time to read and check for any new road rules (or any other rules) we’re meant to observe, if it means we can avoid a fine. I know I haven’t checked all rules that I can, but I will make it a priority in future. So take the same 15-20 minutes every so often to check, MEMBERS.

If we have time to check this site twice daily, then we should have time to give up 15-20 minutes at least once a week or even once a month to check some important Australian rules that we may be penalised for not knowing. We’re not dumb, ignorant or above any law - you live here so you need to obey OUR rules.

I had a book of 278 road rules to learn 45 years ago and when tested I needed 27 out of 30 (or better) to obtain my learners permit. Once the license was obtained, there was no further information given out for ALL road rules and in fact, didn't have internet back then to look them up.
Some years back I managed to download the full Rules and Regs for Victorian driving from VicRoads but just one problem with that. Some rules will sometimes get amended and there is no notification that these have been amended. Hence when you do something wrong you get punished for it, especially if you had no knowledge of the driving offence.
How many people in Victoria know that you do not need to wear a seat belt under the following circumstances for example?
Rule 267 Exemptions from wearing seatbelts
(1) A person is exempt from wearing a seatbelt if—
(a) the Corporation has certified that it would be
impracticable, undesirable or inexpedient for
the person to wear a seatbelt; and
(b) the conditions stated in the certificate (if any)
and those imposed under subrule (4) are
complied with; and
(c) in the case of a person who is a passenger in
a motor vehicle with 2 or more rows of
seats—the person is not in the front row of
seats.
Note
Motor vehicle is defined in the Road Safety Act 1986.
(1A) A person in or on a motor vehicle is exempt from
wearing a seatbelt if—
(a) the seating position that he or she occupies is
not fitted with a seatbelt; and
r. 267
Part 16—Rules for Persons Travelling in or on Vehicles
Road Safety Road Rules 2009
S.R. No. 94/2009
(b) there is no requirement for that seating
position to be fitted with a seatbelt; and
(c) all passengers in the vehicle who are exempt
from wearing a seatbelt are complying with
subrule (8).
(1B) Subrule (1A) does not apply to a person who is
under 7 years old.
(1C) To avoid doubt, subrule (1A) does not authorise a
passenger to whom subrule 266(3) or (3A) applies
to occupy a seat in the front row of seats in a
vehicle that has 2 or more rows of seats.
(2) A person in or on a motor vehicle is exempt from
wearing a seatbelt if—
(a) the person is engaged in the door-to-door
delivery or collection of goods, or in the
collection of waste or garbage, and is
required to get in or out of the vehicle, or on
or off the vehicle, at frequent intervals; and
(b) the vehicle is not travelling over

25 kilometres per hour.

These rules date back to 2010 but some will have already been amended without notification to the general public since then I'm sure.
So Sherza, you say

think you know them all now? ;-)
Plenty of people don't know the Laws of the Land, including me.
The governments change the rules and mention some. like fines and demerits but some obscure rule that probable hasn't been enforced for decades won't get a mention, except in the government gazette which only .01% of the population reads.

The governments change the rules and mention some. like fines and demerits but some obscure rule that probable hasn't been enforced for decades won't get a mention, except in the government gazette which only .01% of the population reads.
And yet that obscure rule can still be thrown at you at any time delivered by an over zealous cop LOL

Reactions: Trouper21