Are you ready for a bigger pension? Here's how millions are getting their boost

Heads up, members: there's a financial uplift on the way for millions of Australians who rely on social security payments.

A welcome increase will be reflected in the pockets of age pensioners, disability support recipients, and carers, thanks to the latest round of indexation.

This is a routine adjustment, but it's one that can make a significant difference in the day-to-day lives of many.

Starting tomorrow, March 20, single recipients of the age pension, disability support pension, and carer payments will see their fortnightly payments rise by $19.60. Couples will enjoy a combined increase of $29.40 per fortnight.

Counting the pension supplement and the energy supplement, the maximum rate for singles is $1,116.30 and for couples $1,682.80 every two weeks.

compressed-shutterstock_174966500.jpeg
Senior pensioner couples can get up to $841.40 weekly in line with tomorrow’s indexation. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Federal Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth highlighted the importance of this increase, acknowledging that 'Pension recipients are some of the most vulnerable members of our communities, many having worked all their lives contributing to our society or caring for a loved one.'

Commonwealth Rent Assistance, JobSeeker, Parenting Payment (Single), and ABSTUDY have also been indexed, ensuring that these payments keep pace with the cost of living.

JobSeeker and ABSTUDY recipients aged 22 and over will see their single, without child rate increase by $13.50 a fortnight, totaling $771.50 (including the energy supplement).

Couples on these payments will receive an additional $12.30 each per fortnight, with their new rate being $706.20, energy supplement included.

Single parents receiving the parenting payment will also benefit from an extra $17.50 every two weeks. This brings their total fortnightly payment to $1,006.50, inclusive of the pension supplement, pharmaceutical allowance, and energy supplement.

compressed-March 2024 Age Pension Indexation (1).jpeg
It's not just the payment rates that are on the rise; the income and assets limits for these payments will also see an increase as a result of the indexation.

This means that recipients can potentially earn more or have more in savings without affecting their eligibility for these crucial payments.

For those eager to see the complete list of changes, they can be found here, providing a detailed breakdown of how the indexation will be applied across the various payments.

If you're unsure about how the indexation affects you or if you have questions about your eligibility, don't hesitate to reach out to the Department of Social Services for more information.

Speaking of eligibility, did you know there’s another form of assistance you could be missing out on? Find out more about it here!
Key Takeaways

• Social security payments in Australia will see an increase due to indexation on March 20.
  • Age pensions, disability support pensions, and carer payments will rise, with singles receiving an additional $19.60 and couples getting $29.40 more per fortnight.
  • Other payments such as Commonwealth Rent Assistance, JobSeeker, Parenting Payment Single and ABSTUDY will also be indexed.
  • The federal Social Services Minister highlighted that the increase will benefit some of the most vulnerable members of the community.
We'd love to hear from you, members. What are your thoughts on this latest round of increases? Share them in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Why would he care - he has no idea - for a start he would have to live it to experience how it feels for a pensioner on an aged pension with daily living expenses, utilities, food, medicines, car etc - in stating this every tiny bit helps - nearly $10 a week increase!
We have done ok through the heatwaves.
No air-con. Just fans.
Kept the house closed up during the day - open at night.
Our energy bill was maneageable.
In the winter we manage with hot water bottles.
And let the sun warm the house where possible.

It's the best way for us to manage energy bills.

• Love
Reactions: Milica
It's ok to be angry, Milica.
I admit to feeling short-changed here. We were led to believe for 6 months that the March increase would be "significant" to deal with rising C.O.L and rents etc.

Seems to me that welfare recipients are the ones doing the heavy lifting now, and our politicians who have had $14,600 increase since June 2022 are doing the heavy leaning.

Many people used their superannuation during Covid to make ends meet, now they can't even get decent pension topups.
Are we all in this together? No.
Is "nobody left behind?" Do the sums.

Elections next year - bet Labor will spin the reels and come up with a jackpot for pensioners just before the election! Bit cynical - yes.
But the increase in our pensions is an insult, when we see what politicians have been awarded.
I am in agreeance with what you are expressing - i am not angry - just frustrated that pple have to jumps thru hoops to get the help they need - the march increase is not significant! Welfare recipients have always been under the poverty line!

All pples need to remember that everyones' life story is not the same - & circumstances that have happened along the way that may have changed a persons financial situation to the point where a person now needs to claim a c/link benefit of some kind, just to be able to exist. Add to this as we age, we do not have the same health as when younger - pple are then entitled to claim, & should not have the added financial stress of whilst receiving benefits, (once granted) that they are still trying to manage/struggling to live, food, rents, utilities etc.

I am one of those pple you mentioned - having had to use all my super (not a lot to begin with) no savings, and no work. I know that in one way, lucky, if you could call it that, i was now able to meet the age criteria to be able to apply for the age pension some 18 months ago now, (grateful that i have this) still paying private rent from this income - everyones life is different.
Age pensioners that have worked and others that may not have had that opportunity thru out their lives - should not have to struggle now - Politicians pay them their worth! have some understanding and empathy (you have parents) - just by being seniors, they are worth much more that you seem to think they are, both in the amount of age pension they receive and what they can, & do contribute to society still, in many ways in the background, volunteering, mentoring, p/time working to fill workplace gaps & so much more!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ingot
I agree 💯% Veggie. Also the loudest whingers seem to be those in Govt housing because 25% of the increase goes towards rent. They don't stop to think what they would be paying if they had to navigate the private rental sector.
Where I live there is a 5 year wait for "emergency housing."
But I would have nothing to say if the govt actually delivered on their 1,200,000 homes in 5 years plans.
That's 20,000 homes a month to meet that target, or 5,000 homes a week.
Currently only about 440,000 homes behind, with 38 months to go. (Make up your own numbers - it won't make any difference.)
I am waiting for the first occupants to get the front door keys, to have their photo on the ABC!

• Love
No air-con. Just fans.

It's the only way to manage the bills - have no air-con, a few fans, but have really felt the heat this year - we do not live in a brick house either - it has many times made me feel physically sick - take more showers then & keep hydrated - still in all this, grateful to have a house to live in! No heating here either - do use a heater & dress more warmly, & yes the sun - instant warmth!:_)

yippee!.....im going to actually taste meat again ...I hope it still tastes as I remember, maybe I should ask a politician...I bet they know...but then I guess they are more into lobster....im gonna start saving for a leg of lamb....

• Haha
Reactions: Milica and Ingot
Here's something funny :)
Our little 2b/r flat has toilet/shower/handbasin in a 2.5m x 1.8m room
There is the drain from the shower and the hand-basin all feeding into a pipe, that has an extra vent just in front of the toilet.
The room began to smell a bit, so sprayed air-freshener.
No change.
Bought some Draino from Coles & put it down the vent.
Did help a bit, but smell returned in a couple of days.

Bit of thinking about it, and realised that we are only showering every second day to save water (both hot and cold).
But even then, not running the water for long.
Just wet the body, scrub a bit, wash hair, turn on water again, and rinse off.

Turns out that we are mainly filling the drain with soapy sludge, and not allowing enough rinsing water to really flush it all through.

So now we run lots more cold water (not hot or warm) after we have showered, to let it flush.
I estimate about 2 buckets wash through, and this has been enough to kill-off that smell.

Moral of the story - you can be too thrifty with water.
Hope that helps someone with smelly drains too.
The Draino was really not needed.
It's highly corrosive, and I don't recommend anyone use it.

• Love
yippee!.....im going to actually taste meat again ...I hope it still tastes as I remember, maybe I should ask a politician...I bet they know...but then I guess they are more into lobster....im gonna start saving for a leg of lamb....
Now you've made me hungry :)
I love lamb of all cuts.
Best is the shanks ... but hey I'll take whatever I can get!!
:) :)
But best we can do is chicken.
The good old days of eye fillet on the bbq are long gone.

Wagga Wagga sheep sales - you can buy a pen of 11 sheep for $10 ... or could about 6 weeks back.
But dressing them out is not a backyard job.

• Haha
All this pathetic amount will do is pay for the increase in petrol. I guess something is better than nothing!! but I wouldn't mind an increase like the politicians get. Wishful thinking 🤔

Nothing no pay rise on my pension paid last week, so where is this so call raise in payments. I've tried to find out why via "MyGov" website hopeless. So no idea where the pay rise went. Maybe it will show up in next payment date.

Nothing no pay rise on my pension paid last week, so where is this so call raise in payments. I've tried to find out why via "MyGov" website hopeless. So no idea where the pay rise went. Maybe it will show up in next payment date.
You are correct.
I had a 93 cents rise this fortnight, but $13 next fortnight roughly, because of the adjustment for an overlap of one day.
Go to MyGov
then Centrelink
then View Payment History

You can then compare previous payments with the current payment and possibly the next one.
Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Milica and NotNats
Just as a matter of interest if u don't mind, how much is the hourly rate paid when a person does get shifts and is it easier to get work out of the metropolitan area?
Like any job the hourly rate can be different from job to job or even company to company. Also, most Traffic Control jobs depend on where road works have been approved. Most companies the shifts depend on the company winning the contract for that job/area and how many people they have on their books. It's a bit like the Security Guards industry.

Like any job the hourly rate can be different from job to job or even company to company. Also, most Traffic Control jobs depend on where road works have been approved. Most companies the shifts depend on the company winning the contract for that job/area and how many people they have on their books. It's a bit like the Security Guards industry.
Thankyou for your reply - sounds like a good idea for pple to at least have their names on the books if they have that system in WA:_)

$20 is hardly a huge raise not compared to what labor gave themselves on gaining power.. doesnt buy much to be honest with price rises
Wow, are we lucky, but Politicians got a yearly rise of $20,000, ours is yearly rise of $400 & we have to buy groceries out & pay all our bills that have all risen almost double to what we were paying.
Gee we have a wonderful Government.........NOT

Reactions: mc6463
I am a pensioner and live alone with the upkeep of a home, maintenance, insurance etc. I also have a motor car and have to pay fuel, rego, insurance and maintenance, not to mention food costs.
I feel that because I am a single pensioner I do not get enough to cover all these costs. Couples have the same expenses but earn a larger pension, that being $566.00 more than a single pensioner. I feel is not fair as I have the same expenses on a single pension,therefore unable to make all payments.
I do believe we as single pensioners need to have the same amount, as a couple . who live in the same home as their expenses would be equivalent but earn more.

Reactions: Harro1948 and Ingot
Well to begin with it would be good to at least be able to speak to someone at services Australia…you get through,give your details and then get told thanks for your call and just get disconnected….automatically!
Third day I have tried and the same thing over and over again, even at 8.30am!!! Regardless of time or day???
Something definitely wrong with the system….come on Hank??? Help me out here PLEASE???
Did you get through yet?
Or did you go down and get in their face across the desk?
Or dis you contact your laocal MP>

MP's hate Centrelink complaints - they will get a-c-t-i-o-n within 12 hrs - someone will call you.
If not satisfactory. go to the office, or get your local MP again!

And remember the front desk people are the lovely people in the joint.
Your problem is truly concerning to them - they do their best.
It's in the back office that the faceless cowards hide - you will never see one come out and address an issue.

I am a pensioner and live alone with the upkeep of a home, maintenance, insurance etc. I also have a motor car and have to pay fuel, rego, insurance and maintenance, not to mention food costs.
I feel that because I am a single pensioner I do not get enough to cover all these costs. Couples have the same expenses but earn a larger pension, that being $566.00 more than a single pensioner. I feel is not fair as I have the same expenses on a single pension,therefore unable to make all payments.
I do believe we as single pensioners need to have the same amount, as a couple . who live in the same home as their expenses would be equivalent but earn more.
You have got it all wrong. In fact. it's the other way around.... single pensioners recibe more than couples, when every couple is composed by 2 single humans. Something I still dont understand since each is an individual having individual expenses, things that are not and cant be shared at all.
Singles are receiving $19.60 a forthnight and couples, because they are couples, are getting $29.40 both together. Instead of $19.60 like singles, they are receiving only $14.70 each... why?

Last edited:
No air-con. Just fans.

PS: For those who need to rely on a hot water bottle, Kmart has them for a reasonable price here:

Great for watching TV to keep warm, and great to keep the body warm in bed too.

Attachments

• Kmart Hot W Bottle 2 litre incl cover.PNG
    Kmart Hot W Bottle 2 litre incl cover.PNG
    474.8 KB · Views: 0
Now you've made me hungry :)
I love lamb of all cuts.
Best is the shanks ... but hey I'll take whatever I can get!!
:) :)
But best we can do is chicken.
The good old days of eye fillet on the bbq are long gone.

Wagga Wagga sheep sales - you can buy a pen of 11 sheep for $10 ... or could about 6 weeks back.
But dressing them out is not a backyard job.
Does any body remember when the butcher would give you the lamb shanks? Although by the size of some of the shanks, I've seen a three tooth lamb?