Are You Being Taken for a Ride? This Café's 'Absolute Joke of a Surcharge' Will Make You Red with Rage!

There's no denying that we all love a good breakfast from time to time. Whether it's stopping by a local cafe or whipping up something a bit more exciting in our own kitchens, it's a meal that always hits the spot.

But let's be honest – it isn't always the most budget-friendly affair. Sure, we all love to treat ourselves from time to time, but sometimes our wallets just can't handle it. That's why we love dishes like eggs, which are a great way to fill up quickly and cheaply.

That’s why this customer had a bit of an ‘eggsistential crisis’ (sorry, I had to) when they discovered an unusual fee on the menu of a local Adelaide cafe.

Sharing a snap of the menu with the highlighted surcharge and the meal, ‘Whole Hog’ circled, the diner wrote: ‘Why am I being charged $2 to have my eggs scrambled as opposed to other methods?’

082edfa8712e0574b619a03b3e2846970f15f434.jpeg
What do you think of this so called 'scramble-surcharge'? Credit: Reddit

At $27.90, the dish includes ‘Two eggs poached, fried, or scrambled’ with the scrambled option costing $2 more ‘per serve.’

It also features ‘bacon, chorizo, mushrooms, fresh cherry tomatoes, hash potatoes, baked beans, and toasted Turkish bread.’ If you order eggs scrambled, the price goes up to $29.90.

Other users were quick to share their outrage, with one describing the situation as an ‘absolute joke’.

Someone else commented and said: ‘Restaurants are getting more expensive it seems.’

‘What the hell, it’s already extremely expensive as it is for a big breakfast, wtf.’ a third said.

Another user invited a response from the original poster, saying: ‘Yeah I know it’s crazy expensive.’

‘Probably the last time I go there. But it is really good food and coffee despite the price. I was just really hungry for a big breakfast this morning so I caved.’

They claimed that this was the first time ever that the café has added a surcharge for scrambled eggs, clarifying that the eatery never used to charge the extra $2 for the scrambled option.

Here at the SDC, this is the first we’ve heard of a so-called ‘scrambled surcharge’, but apparently it’s not unprecedented.

‘It’s fairly common on a lot of breakfast menus in Adelaide. A lot of places don’t even offer scrambled eggs because it slows down the line,’ one user suggested.

Another said: ‘Extra labour and the place I work at does this. For poached eggs, they can keep a pot of water hot and boiling. For fried and scrambled eggs, they have to wash the pan every time.’

‘I should add that the $2 surcharge is probably more of a deterrent to make things easier for the kitchen than to actually pay for the kitchen’s extra labour.’

However a user pushed back on this, writing: ‘I’ve been a chef for 25 years and call b*******!’

‘Extra labour – that’s what chefs are paid to do.’ they explained.

They also pointed out the bottom menu item ‘Eggs Your Way’ which offers the same two eggs for $2 extra.

'Check out the “Eggs Your Way” $13.90. That’s the rip off! Two eggs may cost $1.60 (and that’s generous) plus 2 slices of toast may cost $1.30 (again, generous),’ they said.

‘It drives me nuts that places charge $14 for two eggs and two slices of toast.’

Key Takeaways

• A customer in Adelaide was charged an extra $2 for their eggs to be scrambled at a local cafe
  • The additional fee was questioned by the customer, who took to Reddit to vent their frustration
  • Some Redditors offered possible explanations for the fee, while one user called it a ‘rip off’.

Members, cafés and restaurants are businesses run to make money, but the extra scrambled fee wasn’t only a ‘yolk’ to the customer, but to us too! So, how do you know if you’re being taken for a ride? Here are some things to look out for:

1. Research the restaurant/café’s prices and look at their menu online beforehand.

2. Check out their reviews and ask around to see if other people have had a good experience.

3. Ask questions and double, or triple check - never be afraid to ask questions at a restaurant or café.

What are your thoughts about this surcharge? Was the cafe well within their rights for adding it or was it a tad ‘eggcessive’? (again, sorry I had to) Let us know in the comments.

Sponsored
There's no denying that we all love a good breakfast from time to time. Whether it's stopping by a local cafe or whipping up something a bit more exciting in our own kitchens, it's a meal that always hits the spot.

But let's be honest – it isn't always the most budget-friendly affair. Sure, we all love to treat ourselves from time to time, but sometimes our wallets just can't handle it. That's why we love dishes like eggs, which are a great way to fill up quickly and cheaply.

That’s why this customer had a bit of an ‘eggsistential crisis’ (sorry, I had to) when they discovered an unusual fee on the menu of a local Adelaide cafe.

Sharing a snap of the menu with the highlighted surcharge and the meal, ‘Whole Hog’ circled, the diner wrote: ‘Why am I being charged $2 to have my eggs scrambled as opposed to other methods?’

View attachment 11826

At $27.90, the dish includes ‘Two eggs poached, fried, or scrambled’ with the scrambled option costing $2 more ‘per serve.’

It also features ‘bacon, chorizo, mushrooms, fresh cherry tomatoes, hash potatoes, baked beans, and toasted Turkish bread.’ If you order eggs scrambled, the price goes up to $29.90.

Other users were quick to share their outrage, with one describing the situation as an ‘absolute joke’.

Someone else commented and said: ‘Restaurants are getting more expensive it seems.’

‘What the hell, it’s already extremely expensive as it is for a big breakfast, wtf.’ a third said.

Another user invited a response from the original poster, saying: ‘Yeah I know it’s crazy expensive.’

‘Probably the last time I go there. But it is really good food and coffee despite the price. I was just really hungry for a big breakfast this morning so I caved.’

They claimed that this was the first time ever that the café has added a surcharge for scrambled eggs, clarifying that the eatery never used to charge the extra $2 for the scrambled option.

Here at the SDC, this is the first we’ve heard of a so-called ‘scrambled surcharge’, but apparently it’s not unprecedented.

‘It’s fairly common on a lot of breakfast menus in Adelaide. A lot of places don’t even offer scrambled eggs because it slows down the line,’ one user suggested.

Another said: ‘Extra labour and the place I work at does this. For poached eggs, they can keep a pot of water hot and boiling. For fried and scrambled eggs, they have to wash the pan every time.’

‘I should add that the $2 surcharge is probably more of a deterrent to make things easier for the kitchen than to actually pay for the kitchen’s extra labour.’

However a user pushed back on this, writing: ‘I’ve been a chef for 25 years and call b*******!’

They also pointed out the bottom menu item ‘Eggs Your Way’ which offers the same two eggs for $2 extra.

'Check out the “Eggs Your Way” $13.90. That’s the rip off! Two eggs may cost $1.60 (and that’s generous) plus 2 slices of toast may cost $1.30 (again, generous),’ they said.

‘It drives me nuts that places charge $14 for two eggs and two slices of toast.’

Key Takeaways

• A customer in Adelaide was charged an extra $2 for their eggs to be scrambled at a local cafe
  • The additional fee was questioned by the customer, who took to Reddit to vent their frustration
  • Some Redditors offered possible explanations for the fee, while one user called it a ‘rip off’.

Members, cafés and restaurants are businesses run to make money, but the extra scrambled fee wasn’t only a ‘yolk’ to the customer, but to us too! So, how do you know if you’re being taken for a ride? Here are some things to look out for:

1. Research the restaurant/café’s prices and look at their menu online beforehand.

2. Check out their reviews and ask around to see if other people have had a good experience.

3. Ask questions and double, or triple check - never be afraid to ask questions at a restaurant or café.

What are your thoughts about this surcharge? Was the cafe well within their rights for adding it or was it a tad ‘eggcessive’? (again, sorry I had to) Let us know in the comments.
The only extra original ingredient in scrambled eggs was a little water, salt and pepper over the years it has become poncified by adding cream etc.

The only extra original ingredient in scrambled eggs was a little water, salt and pepper over the years it has become poncified by adding cream etc.
I’ve never heard of adding water to scrambled eggs!
Neither had I until about sixty years ago, it was probably meant to make them go a little bit further under rationing, which ended in 1956.

View attachment 11826

Key Takeaways

I agree the quoted price was exorbitantly high for a "full breakfast", but if the price is quoted on the menu, the consumer always has the option to pass and leave the restaurant without ordering. Same goes for the premium of $2 for scrambling eggs. If the consumer does not want to pay, then order the lesser priced style of eggs. The menu is the restaurateurs offer to sell, acceptance is always at the discretion of the consumer. Instead of whingeing on social media, let the restaurateur know of the grievance at the time.

Neither had I until about sixty years ago, it was probably meant to make them go a little bit further under rationing, which ended in 1956.
I add about 1tsp water to 2 eggs when scrambling them, as it makes them fluffier. Fresh eggs from my own pampered chooks are full of flavour, so no need to add cream.

is this person a millionaire? I'd have a hard time thinking they're a pensioner. But its a lifestyle choice if they want it and can afford it, why jump up and down about the extra charge?

I'd understand it if it were at an international airport, as they gouge cause customers are a very captive consumer, but for this person its "but the food and coffee is good" so they will continue to pay regardless.

Maybe ask if the café owner is a Chinese star wars character, "Greedo Gow jing" :)

Reactions: Ggranma and Macarj
What is it? We pay extra money for their work. Preparing, cooking and serving is the way cafes work, there’s nothing extra to do, just work.

Reactions: Macarj
A similar price surprise awaited me at a BYO Japanese cafe I frequented in Darlinghurst, Sydney. Formerly a fabulous place to eat, they had recently changed ownership. The last time (and it will be the last time!) that my friends and I went there was late in 2022. As we had done on previous occasions, we brought some wine but then noticed the new menu had a note saying that BYO wine attracted a surcharge of $9.00 per person. As there were 4 of us, it would have cost $36.00 just to drink our own wine. Needless to say, we did without wine for that meal and will go elsewhere in future.

• Wow
Reactions: ShannyN and ElleJay
What is it? We pay extra money for their work. Preparing, cooking and serving is the way cafes work, there’s nothing extra to do, just work.
That's obviously not how the restaurateur perceives it. He/she must have tumbled to the fact that it takes a cook slightly longer to prepare/cook scrambled, and perhaps there are other ingredients used in the cooking.

A similar price surprise awaited me at a BYO Japanese cafe I frequented in Darlinghurst, Sydney. Formerly a fabulous place to eat, they had recently changed ownership. The last time (and it will be the last time!) that my friends and I went there was late in 2022. As we had done on previous occasions, we brought some wine but then noticed the new menu had a note saying that BYO wine attracted a surcharge of $9.00 per person. As there were 4 of us, it would have cost $36.00 just to drink our own wine. Needless to say, we did without wine for that meal and will go elsewhere in future.
Understandable complaint. $9 for corkage. Outrageous, unless of course your table was used by say four or more consumers, and more than 1 bottle of wine was consumed. Adding $36 corkage to the price of a bottle of wine may make it expensive, but not so if two or more bottles are consumed. Otherwise you would probably have bought "in-house".

That's obviously not how the restaurateur perceives it. He/she must have tumbled to the fact that it takes a cook slightly longer to prepare/cook scrambled, and perhaps there are other ingredients used in the cooking.
I disagree I can cook scrambled eggs quicker than fried or poached