Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you at risk? The new Eris COVID-19 strain is causing a sudden surge in cases!

If you thought the pandemic was slowing down, then think again! A new variant of COVID-19 is spreading across the globe–and has already caused a massive uptick in cases in certain areas. It's likely in Australia already–so it's time to ensure you and your loved ones are prepared.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) began monitoring the EG.5.1. variant, derived from Omicron, on July 19. It’s been dubbed 'Eris' after the Greek god of strife and discord, and it has put many countries on alert.

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 9.13.16 AM.png
Waning immunity, bad weather causing people to stay indoors, holiday vacations, and going to the movies to watch blockbuster hits have made the Eris variant more contagious, experts say. Image source: Lifestylememory on Freepik.

Hospitalisation rates have significantly increased in some nations, especially India, the UK, and the US. Just last week, cases increased by up to 121 per cent in some areas of England.

But what makes Eris so contagious? Scientists have put it down to a combination of factors–waning immunity, bad weather sending people indoors, summer holidays, and even people congregating to watch blockbuster hits.

The Eris variant is now the second most prevalent strain in the UK, accounting for one in ten cases. Meanwhile, Eris accounted for 17.3 per cent of cases in the first week of August in the US–more than any other strain!

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 7.29.40 AM.png
Antibodies from the vaccines are believed to work against the new COVID-19 variant, Eris. Image source: Lifestylememory on Freepik.

The good news? Antibodies from the existing vaccines are believed to work against the Eris variant, but it’s important to make sure you’re fully vaccinated to protect yourself and those in your community.

Infectious diseases academic at the University of Queensland, Professor Paul Griffin, believes the strain is already in Australia–but since our testing is lower, it has yet to be detected.

‘It has certainly increased, with an estimate that it has perhaps doubled in prevalence in the last four weeks or so globally from nearly six to twelve per cent (of cases),’ he said.

Its symptoms are similar to that of the Omicron variant–sore throat, runny or bunged up nose, change in the sense of smell, and fatigue–but seem to be relatively mild for most people. But if you experience any of these symptoms, best to stay at home and seek medical advice.

The importance of COVID-19 booster shots for seniors

Now, of all the recommended protective measures, one is in a league of its own–getting your COVID-19 booster shots.

The past year has seen a slew of new variants, each with its set of peculiarities, but there’s an overarching rule of thumb: senior citizens tend to be at a higher risk. However, these booster shots stimulate the immune response, equipping your body with the right weapons to combat this invisible enemy. While significantly reducing the chances of severe illness, these shots enhance the effectiveness of your vaccine, acting as an extra layer of armour.

Booster shots have shown an efficiency rate of 80 to 90% against severe illness or deaths due to COVID-19.

The Department of Health and Aged Care of the Australian Government recommends booster shots particularly for people at higher risk of severe illness, including those aged 65 years and over, and those with medical comorbidities, disability, or complex health needs aged 18 years and over.

So if your booster shots are overdue or if you have been contemplating whether to get them or not, remember, it's not just about keeping yourself safe, it's also about taking a step towards ending this pandemic. You may refer to this guide from the Department of Health and Aged Care for more information on booster shots.

So dear members, stay alert, stay safe, and let’s beat this virus together! Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I was all for the vacination and boosters but I did worry that the vacination was produced to quick .

Both myself and my 18 year old have had all boosters ect but I'm now sitting on the fence before getting more.

Since the boosters my daughters asthma has been of the charts with so many hospital admissions.

My asthma has also not been good ever since my last booster.

I've had covid twice and still don't have taste and smell back 100% from the first time.

I've seen a few people die unexpectedly, where they went to sleep and never woke up a 58 year old woman and a 63 year old male .
Maybe it's all a coincidence , I don't know

Ah well, the pandemic is over according to our useless Australian Federal and State governments. It's now an endemic across the world, still making people sick and causing Long-covid, about which the Australian government doesn't give a tinker's cuss. What support is there for sufferers from Long-covid? It can keep you away from work for at least 3 years.

You need a special plea to get a 6th vaccination, such as immuno-compromised. Vaccination is the best way of countering catching any disease let alone Covid-19, even though anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers are utter twerps (long may they suffer from smallpox and measles and tuberculosis etc!), and most vaccines can make one feel for a few days like death warmed-up (try the anti-Typhoid vaccine as a starter, but it beats catching Typhoid; Japanese Encephalitis will leave you brain-dead, if not dead, unless you are very lucky or have been vaccinated against infection).

For those who think C-19 is just a sneeze and a wheeze, it isn't. It gets into all organs of the body and can do very serious damage including leading to early-onset dementia. There are more than a million research papers written on all the aspects of the C-19 epidemic, from the aerodynamics of sneezes (20m range) and face masks to what the virus can do to the brain, lungs and liver among other bits and pieces essential to our health.

Do
If you thought the pandemic was slowing down, then think again! A new variant of COVID-19 is spreading across the globe–and has already caused a massive uptick in cases in certain areas. It's likely in Australia already–so it's time to ensure you and your loved ones are prepared.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) began monitoring the EG.5.1. variant, derived from Omicron, on July 19. It’s been dubbed 'Eris' after the Greek god of strife and discord, and it has put many countries on alert.

View attachment 26998
Waning immunity, bad weather causing people to stay indoors, holiday vacations, and going to the movies to watch blockbuster hits have made the Eris variant more contagious, experts say. Image source: Lifestylememory on Freepik.

Hospitalisation rates have significantly increased in some nations, especially India, the UK, and the US. Just last week, cases increased by up to 121 per cent in some areas of England.

But what makes Eris so contagious? Scientists have put it down to a combination of factors–waning immunity, bad weather sending people indoors, summer holidays, and even people congregating to watch blockbuster hits.

The Eris variant is now the second most prevalent strain in the UK, accounting for one in ten cases. Meanwhile, Eris accounted for 17.3 per cent of cases in the first week of August in the US–more than any other strain!

View attachment 26997
Antibodies from the vaccines are believed to work against the new COVID-19 variant, Eris. Image source: Lifestylememory on Freepik.

The good news? Antibodies from the existing vaccines are believed to work against the Eris variant, but it’s important to make sure you’re fully vaccinated to protect yourself and those in your community.

Infectious diseases academic at the University of Queensland, Professor Paul Griffin, believes the strain is already in Australia–but since our testing is lower, it has yet to be detected.

‘It has certainly increased, with an estimate that it has perhaps doubled in prevalence in the last four weeks or so globally from nearly six to twelve per cent (of cases),’ he said.

Its symptoms are similar to that of the Omicron variant–sore throat, runny or bunged up nose, change in the sense of smell, and fatigue–but seem to be relatively mild for most people. But if you experience any of these symptoms, best to stay at home and seek medical advice.

Now, of all the recommended protective measures, one is in a league of its own–getting your COVID-19 booster shots.

The past year has seen a slew of new variants, each with its set of peculiarities, but there’s an overarching rule of thumb: senior citizens tend to be at a higher risk. However, these booster shots stimulate the immune response, equipping your body with the right weapons to combat this invisible enemy. While significantly reducing the chances of severe illness, these shots enhance the effectiveness of your vaccine, acting as an extra layer of armour.

Booster shots have shown an efficiency rate of 80 to 90% against severe illness or deaths due to COVID-19.

The Department of Health and Aged Care of the Australian Government recommends booster shots particularly for people at higher risk of severe illness, including those aged 65 years and over, and those with medical comorbidities, disability, or complex health needs aged 18 years and over.

So if your booster shots are overdue or if you have been contemplating whether to get them or not, remember, it's not just about keeping yourself safe, it's also about taking a step towards ending this pandemic. You may refer to this guide from the Department of Health and Aged Care for more information on booster shots.

So dear members, stay alert, stay safe, and let’s beat this virus together! Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comments section below

View attachment 26998

View attachment 26997

So dear members, stay alert, stay safe, and let’s beat this virus together! Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comments section below!
Stop pushing the covid vaccines. It has been proven they don’t stop you catching covid or transmission. Do research it’s a con.

Like everything you need to be vigilant against things such as cold, flu, covid, etc. There is of course one major way to keep these and many more virus away from the population, if you are sick STAY AT HOME, take responsibility for your own actions. Also if you are unsure do a RAT test and double check. As some have said you get the injections and still get covid, yes that is true my two daughters and I have had covid we have each had three injections, my youngest is disabled and has chronic health issues, I have chronic health issue, my eldest has health issues and my husband who has had five injections touch wood hasn't had covid and he too has chronic health issues, but if we are not well we stay home, isolate as much as we can and look after each other.

Don’t any of you dare get any (more) mRNA experimental vaccinations. They are proving to be neither safe nor effective. Our TGA 90% financed by big pharma did not test the novel vaccines like they usually do. Like most countries we too simply took the now corrupt WHO’s word for it. As a result death rates around the world have risen & not from covid!

Despite a propaganda campaign by big pharma to discredit anti viral Ivermectin it remains one of the safest drugs on the market & is most effective in stopping covid in its tracks if started before the fifth day of contracting covid. The earlier the better. Both my husband 78 who has co morbidities & myself 61 with an overactive immune system caught covid Christmas last year with all the side effects; vomiting, temperature etc. After starting 12 mg daily ivernectin protocol we could feel the positive impact almost immediately. We continued until the cough disappeared, a sign your body is on top. Both of us recovered with no ongoing symptoms. A Dr I know takes ivermectin every day as it prevents as well as cures covid.
If you are on Facebook please follow ‘Graham Hood motivational speaker’ who has many doctors & other guests on the program speaking out about the dangers of mRNA vaccines & the benefits Ivermectin and other safe drugs in treating covid successfully.

Last edited:
I was all for the vacination and boosters but I did worry that the vacination was produced to quick .

Both myself and my 18 year old have had all boosters ect but I'm now sitting on the fence before getting more.

Since the boosters my daughters asthma has been of the charts with so many hospital admissions.

My asthma has also not been good ever since my last booster.

I've had covid twice and still don't have taste and smell back 100% from the first time.

I've seen a few people die unexpectedly, where they went to sleep and never woke up a 58 year old woman and a 63 year old male .
Maybe it's all a coincidence , I don't know
No it’s not coincidence. Experimental mRNA vaccines are neither safe nor effective.

My sister (triple vaxxed) and I (unvaxxed) both caught Covid last year at the same time. We had the exact same symptoms and veracity of symptoms except she also got an ear infection that I didnt get. Since then, she’s had Covid twice more and I haven’t had it again.the only better comparison would be identical twins with the same vax history of my sister and I. We both have comorbidities and it was a mild illness for both of us. I caught influenza A this year (probably from a flight) and that was a lot worse than Covid. It’s been proven these vaccines only work for about 40 days as the single strand virus mutates too quickly to keep up. Smallpox et al are double strand viruses that don’t mutate much at all and are easier to vaccinate against. Also, viruses usually mutate to become more contagious but less lethal. It’s not in the virus’ interest to kill its host.

Reactions: Stars74 and Kawi
Stop pushing the covid vaccines. It has been proven they don’t stop you catching covid or transmission. Do research it’s a con.
The Covid vaccines help minimise the damage the virus does to the body. It is not a "con". There are enough real scientific research papers published that demonstrate that quite clearly. However, some people are just plain stupid, and that is the problem as stupidity assists transmission of viruses of any sort. At one time doctors thought that having to wash their hands when dealing with people was a con as it was seen as an professional insult to suggest that doctors could have dirty hands.

Vaccinations aside, have you noticed that hardly any people out and about are wearing masks or using anti-bacterial solutions.
I have not stopped doing what needs to be done to keep as safe as possible. I am one of the few who still wears a mask when I go out, and hubby who is high risk is not allowed to leave the house without a mask.
We are both fully vaccinated with all the shots and boosters and feel better for it.
After the 2nd vaccination, I contracted COVID whilst in hospital. Just one of those things. Hubby stayed home and I was isolated until all was well. I was not badly affected and not ill at all, but did feel like a bit of a leper because nobody but the nurses were allowed to see me. Such is the price to pay if you don't want your infection to spread to others. I was looked after very well in the hospital and am grateful they took such care of me. Who knows, if I didn't have the vaccination, I may have been quite ill. One will never know.
Do what you are comfortable with as far as vaccinations go, but please everyone, protect yourself when you go out amongst other people. A mask and a wipe are hardly world shattering habits to help prevent infection spreading from others to you, or you to others.

The Covid vaccines help minimise the damage the virus does to the body. It is not a "con". There are enough real scientific research papers published that demonstrate that quite clearly. However, some people are just plain stupid, and that is the problem as stupidity assists transmission of viruses of any sort. At one time doctors thought that having to wash their hands when dealing with people was a con as it was seen as an professional insult to suggest that doctors could have dirty hands.
If only there were no side effects like myocarditis, pericarditis & death for some people. Should have been pulled but was not because all about the $ not health.

I am not a fan of vaccinations and it will be a very cold day in hell before I would agree to a flu vaccination.

However, I did get the Covid vaccination and one booster. I got the bug in August last year from my daughter. It was a very mild case, just a few days of a sore throat.

View attachment 26998

View attachment 26997

Vaccinations aside, have you noticed that hardly any people out and about are wearing masks or using anti-bacterial solutions.
I have not stopped doing what needs to be done to keep as safe as possible. I am one of the few who still wears a mask when I go out, and hubby who is high risk is not allowed to leave the house without a mask.
We are both fully vaccinated with all the shots and boosters and feel better for it.
After the 2nd vaccination, I contracted COVID whilst in hospital. Just one of those things. Hubby stayed home and I was isolated until all was well. I was not badly affected and not ill at all, but did feel like a bit of a leper because nobody but the nurses were allowed to see me. Such is the price to pay if you don't want your infection to spread to others. I was looked after very well in the hospital and am grateful they took such care of me. Who knows, if I didn't have the vaccination, I may have been quite ill. One will never know.
Do what you are comfortable with as far as vaccinations go, but please everyone, protect yourself when you go out amongst other people. A mask and a wipe are hardly world shattering habits to help prevent infection spreading from others to you, or you to others.
Have you never questioned why you caught covid? When you were vaccinated double ?
can’t believe you can say , it’s just one of those things !
Have you noticed how cruise ships are covid carriers ? Remember that you must be fully vaccinated to travel on a cruise ship, surely you can see the pattern now ?
All symptoms are same as the flu, all new strains are same symptoms as before,, ?
worked it out yet ??

View attachment 26998

View attachment 26997

Can’t believe you are pushing this nnarrative of the WHO , as there is overwhelming evidence that proves the test drug, (vaccine) is not actually a vaccine,, has caused more serious harm and death than covid itself, and the test drug boosters should not be taken !!

Have you never questioned why you caught covid? When you were vaccinated double ?
can’t believe you can say , it’s just one of those things !
Have you noticed how cruise ships are covid carriers ? Remember that you must be fully vaccinated to travel on a cruise ship, surely you can see the pattern now ?
All symptoms are same as the flu, all new strains are same symptoms as before,, ?
worked it out yet ??
I have not made it my mission in life to find answers to all the questions. My belief is that I caught COVID because the correct precautions were not followed by someone, sometime. It is one of those things that has to be accepted, why, because you cannot change what has happened.
If you have ever been on a cruise, you will know that even before COVID, there has always been a risk of catching some airborne virus because most of the cabins are below deck and work on re-circulated air. My first cruising experience resulted in 80% of the passengers catching a cold or flu.
You ask a lot of questions, but give no considered solutions. You made no mention of wearing a mask or sanitising, at least to protect yourself. Or, is it your belief that deciding it is wrong to vaccinate, therefore you will not fall victim to any disease.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but nobody has the right to deliberately put others at risk because of personal beliefs.

My husband and myself have had all our shots plus boosters and we have never had covid to date. We don’t hide away, are very social and only wear masks when asked to wear them. I went to the Billy Joel concert in Melbourne and a few weeks later the Elton John concert with thousands of others - no masks, caught the train into the city and home again. I fully expected to get covid but luckily avoided it. I guess it’s the luck of the draw, some get it multiple times, some seem to avoid it. If I’m advised to get another booster by my dr I will do so.

Reactions: Ricki and Trudi
Totally agree 👍

So they're going to panic people again?
I had boosters ages ago. I don't think I've ever had it anyway, but have never had a test and am the wrong side of 60.😱

Reactions: Ricki and TinaM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×