Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you at risk? The new Eris COVID-19 strain is causing a sudden surge in cases!

If you thought the pandemic was slowing down, then think again! A new variant of COVID-19 is spreading across the globe–and has already caused a massive uptick in cases in certain areas. It's likely in Australia already–so it's time to ensure you and your loved ones are prepared.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) began monitoring the EG.5.1. variant, derived from Omicron, on July 19. It’s been dubbed 'Eris' after the Greek god of strife and discord, and it has put many countries on alert.

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 9.13.16 AM.png
Waning immunity, bad weather causing people to stay indoors, holiday vacations, and going to the movies to watch blockbuster hits have made the Eris variant more contagious, experts say. Image source: Lifestylememory on Freepik.

Hospitalisation rates have significantly increased in some nations, especially India, the UK, and the US. Just last week, cases increased by up to 121 per cent in some areas of England.

But what makes Eris so contagious? Scientists have put it down to a combination of factors–waning immunity, bad weather sending people indoors, summer holidays, and even people congregating to watch blockbuster hits.

The Eris variant is now the second most prevalent strain in the UK, accounting for one in ten cases. Meanwhile, Eris accounted for 17.3 per cent of cases in the first week of August in the US–more than any other strain!

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 7.29.40 AM.png
Antibodies from the vaccines are believed to work against the new COVID-19 variant, Eris. Image source: Lifestylememory on Freepik.

The good news? Antibodies from the existing vaccines are believed to work against the Eris variant, but it’s important to make sure you’re fully vaccinated to protect yourself and those in your community.

Infectious diseases academic at the University of Queensland, Professor Paul Griffin, believes the strain is already in Australia–but since our testing is lower, it has yet to be detected.

‘It has certainly increased, with an estimate that it has perhaps doubled in prevalence in the last four weeks or so globally from nearly six to twelve per cent (of cases),’ he said.

Its symptoms are similar to that of the Omicron variant–sore throat, runny or bunged up nose, change in the sense of smell, and fatigue–but seem to be relatively mild for most people. But if you experience any of these symptoms, best to stay at home and seek medical advice.

The importance of COVID-19 booster shots for seniors

Now, of all the recommended protective measures, one is in a league of its own–getting your COVID-19 booster shots.

The past year has seen a slew of new variants, each with its set of peculiarities, but there’s an overarching rule of thumb: senior citizens tend to be at a higher risk. However, these booster shots stimulate the immune response, equipping your body with the right weapons to combat this invisible enemy. While significantly reducing the chances of severe illness, these shots enhance the effectiveness of your vaccine, acting as an extra layer of armour.

Booster shots have shown an efficiency rate of 80 to 90% against severe illness or deaths due to COVID-19.

The Department of Health and Aged Care of the Australian Government recommends booster shots particularly for people at higher risk of severe illness, including those aged 65 years and over, and those with medical comorbidities, disability, or complex health needs aged 18 years and over.

So if your booster shots are overdue or if you have been contemplating whether to get them or not, remember, it's not just about keeping yourself safe, it's also about taking a step towards ending this pandemic. You may refer to this guide from the Department of Health and Aged Care for more information on booster shots.

So dear members, stay alert, stay safe, and let’s beat this virus together! Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comments section below!

Sponsored
If you thought the pandemic was slowing down, then think again! A new variant of COVID-19 is spreading across the globe–and has already caused a massive uptick in cases in certain areas. It's likely in Australia already–so it's time to ensure you and your loved ones are prepared.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) began monitoring the EG.5.1. variant, derived from Omicron, on July 19. It’s been dubbed 'Eris' after the Greek god of strife and discord, and it has put many countries on alert.

View attachment 26998
Waning immunity, bad weather causing people to stay indoors, holiday vacations, and going to the movies to watch blockbuster hits have made the Eris variant more contagious, experts say. Image source: Lifestylememory on Freepik.

Hospitalisation rates have significantly increased in some nations, especially India, the UK, and the US. Just last week, cases increased by up to 121 per cent in some areas of England.

But what makes Eris so contagious? Scientists have put it down to a combination of factors–waning immunity, bad weather sending people indoors, summer holidays, and even people congregating to watch blockbuster hits.

The Eris variant is now the second most prevalent strain in the UK, accounting for one in ten cases. Meanwhile, Eris accounted for 17.3 per cent of cases in the first week of August in the US–more than any other strain!

View attachment 26997
Antibodies from the vaccines are believed to work against the new COVID-19 variant, Eris. Image source: Lifestylememory on Freepik.

The good news? Antibodies from the existing vaccines are believed to work against the Eris variant, but it’s important to make sure you’re fully vaccinated to protect yourself and those in your community.

Infectious diseases academic at the University of Queensland, Professor Paul Griffin, believes the strain is already in Australia–but since our testing is lower, it has yet to be detected.

‘It has certainly increased, with an estimate that it has perhaps doubled in prevalence in the last four weeks or so globally from nearly six to twelve per cent (of cases),’ he said.

Its symptoms are similar to that of the Omicron variant–sore throat, runny or bunged up nose, change in the sense of smell, and fatigue–but seem to be relatively mild for most people. But if you experience any of these symptoms, best to stay at home and seek medical advice.

The importance of COVID-19 booster shots for seniors

Now, of all the recommended protective measures, one is in a league of its own–getting your COVID-19 booster shots.

The past year has seen a slew of new variants, each with its set of peculiarities, but there’s an overarching rule of thumb: senior citizens tend to be at a higher risk. However, these booster shots stimulate the immune response, equipping your body with the right weapons to combat this invisible enemy. While significantly reducing the chances of severe illness, these shots enhance the effectiveness of your vaccine, acting as an extra layer of armour.

Booster shots have shown an efficiency rate of 80 to 90% against severe illness or deaths due to COVID-19.

The Department of Health and Aged Care of the Australian Government recommends booster shots particularly for people at higher risk of severe illness, including those aged 65 years and over, and those with medical comorbidities, disability, or complex health needs aged 18 years and over.

So if your booster shots are overdue or if you have been contemplating whether to get them or not, remember, it's not just about keeping yourself safe, it's also about taking a step towards ending this pandemic. You may refer to this guide from the Department of Health and Aged Care for more information on booster shots.

So dear members, stay alert, stay safe, and let’s beat this virus together! Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comments section below!
More absolute lies to keep the sheep scare to try and get them to take IT DOES NOT WORK VAXXINE... Go ahead go and get the jab, just dont blame me when you get sick and eventually die.

Reactions: TinaM
It’s a good job that most people trust the scientists and get vaccinated. If not for us many more thousands upon thousands of people would have died. Thank you to all those who chose to be vaccinated 😄

• Angry
Reactions: Tipsy and Ricki
Can’t believe you are pushing this nnarrative of the WHO , as there is overwhelming evidence that proves the test drug, (vaccine) is not actually a vaccine,, has caused more serious harm and death than covid itself, and the test drug boosters should not be taken !!
Thanks to the vaccine I now have auto immune liver disease..

Reactions: TinaM
Ah well, the pandemic is over according to our useless Australian Federal and State governments. It's now an endemic across the world, still making people sick and causing Long-covid, about which the Australian government doesn't give a tinker's cuss. What support is there for sufferers from Long-covid? It can keep you away from work for at least 3 years.

You need a special plea to get a 6th vaccination, such as immuno-compromised. Vaccination is the best way of countering catching any disease let alone Covid-19, even though anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers are utter twerps (long may they suffer from smallpox and measles and tuberculosis etc!), and most vaccines can make one feel for a few days like death warmed-up (try the anti-Typhoid vaccine as a starter, but it beats catching Typhoid; Japanese Encephalitis will leave you brain-dead, if not dead, unless you are very lucky or have been vaccinated against infection).

For those who think C-19 is just a sneeze and a wheeze, it isn't. It gets into all organs of the body and can do very serious damage including leading to early-onset dementia. There are more than a million research papers written on all the aspects of the C-19 epidemic, from the aerodynamics of sneezes (20m range) and face masks to what the virus can do to the brain, lungs and liver among other bits and pieces essential to our health.
At last, someone who actually studies the research done by doctors and scientists and not the wafflings of conspiracy theorists who pick and chose the theory that backs their asinine ideas. I have family members that belong to the tinfoil hat brigade.

Reactions: lonelyasacloud
Pity there isn't a vaccine for stupidity 🙄
Bit nasty this stupid naming thing.
We are all entitled to make our own decisions regarding any means available to protect folk from all manner of diseases, not just Covid.
I personally am grateful that the days of devastating illnesses like polio, for example, are no longer something we have to contend with.
If your belief is no vaccinations, then that's for you to decide, good, bad or indifferent.
Other people choose to vaccinate for various reasons, again good, bad or indifferent.
Whatever happens, if we catch anything at all, don't be ignorant of the risk to others. That is not to be ignored. Stay away from others to avoid transmission, even if it is the flu.
In the end, we make our own choices., but, act responsibly.

Last edited:
Reactions: TinaM and Ricki
Bit nasty this stupid naming thing.
We are all entitled to make our own decisions regarding any means available to protect folk from all manner of diseases, not just Covid.
I personally am grateful that the days of devastating illnesses like polio, for example, are no longer something we have to contend with.
If your belief is no vaccinations, then that's for you to decide, good, bad or indifferent.
Other people choose to vaccinate for various reasons, again good, bad or indifferent.
Whatever happens, if we catch anything at all, don't be ignorant of the risk to others. That is not to be ignored. Stay away from others to avoid transmission, even if it is the flu.
In the end, we make our own choices., but, act responsibly.
I agree with you wholeheartedly, and I personally have all my vaccinations, I was referring to some of my family. Sorry for the misunderstanding, will refrain from comments.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, and I personally have all my vaccinations, I was referring to some of my family. Sorry for the misunderstanding, will refrain from comments.
Don't refrain from commenting, please.
You have a right to say whatever you feel.
I was just a little sensitive to a couple of posts that had the stupidity tag. All goes back to the days of my youth when I was continuously called stupid by a controlling father. My issue really.

It’s a good job that most people trust the scientists and get vaccinated. If not for us many more thousands upon thousands of people would have died. Thank you to all those who chose to be vaccinated 😄
That is a load of complete BS it is the vaccinated that getting sick and dying, those who are dying are being refused the products that actually cure them like Ivermectin & Hydroxychloroquine and also have underlying health issues....

More absolute lies to keep the sheep scare to try and get them to take IT DOES NOT WORK VAXXINE... Go ahead go and get the jab, just dont blame me when you get sick and eventually die.
News flash! Everyone eventually dies lol

• Love
Reactions: Tipsy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×