American expat goes viral for finding Australian coffee detail bewildering: “I can’t drink the coffee here.”

As Aussies, we know well enough that we can’t get through the day without a nice cup of coffee. The coffee culture in the country is thriving and some of us may even be a tad snobby when it comes to our favourite cuppa. However, not everybody approves of the true art and beauty of Australian coffee, as one woman from over the pond made clear.

One U.S. expat, Hannah Shuman, shares the ‘crazy’ reason she dislikes our well-loved, Australian coffee that has now gone viral on TikTok. Currently sitting at more than 34,400 followers, Hannah explains in a video that she posted last week some of the major things she had to get accustomed to upon moving here in Australia.

Screenshot at Feb 01 10-27-04.pngScreenshot at Feb 01 10-27-50.png
A glimpse of Hannah's trending TikTok video. Credit: @beachbabytravels
In her trending Tiktok video, she touches on the early morning culture that the Australians have, something that’s not as common in her home country.

“You could go just about anywhere at 6 AM and you will see an entire group of people out reading a book or the newspaper or drinking their coffee or going for a walk or a run…” she said.

“But there are so many people out and about super, super early in the morning. I am actually an early bird, I love waking up early, so this was one of the things that I had to get used to because I wasn’t used to it, but I actually really love it.”

She then proceeds to reveal the reason behind her disapproval of Australian coffee. The TikTok mini influencer confessed that she isn’t a fan of the coffee being served in Australian cafes as it was too strong for her as it often ends up ‘giving her the shakes’.

“I used to drink coffee every single day and yes, it was ‘American coffee’ which I know you guys hate…” Hannah said.

“But I don’t drink coffee anymore which is crazy but I don’t, because I can’t drink the coffee here.”

This caused an uproar within the Tiktok Aussie community, bringing her views up to 225.2K, with users criticising her dislike for coffee because she’s not getting the order right.

Hot-Cup-of-Coffee-with-Map-of-Australia-in-Foam_297829994.jpg
Image Credit: Goway Travel

“You can always ask for half strength coffee or decaf. I love coffee but my anxiety does not...” one wrote.

“But American coffee isn’t coffee. It’s dirty water, try a Latte or a Mocha...” another commented.

Hannah also got quite the backlash from claiming that she was shocked at the ‘insane amount’ of cheese Aussies consume compared to Americans.

“I don’t get the dairy part – I really don’t think it’s that common. America however puts cream cheese in every recipe and cheese on top of everything.” a user commented. ‘

“We love our dairy? EVERYTHING in the US comes with cheese!” said another.

What do you think of Hannah’s opinions on Australian culture? Let us know in the comments below!

If you’re interested in watching the full TikTok video, you can watch it down below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
I am positive that Australian coffee is better than American. They have no idea of how to make a good cup of coffee. Yup - as one poster said the American coffee is brown dishwater.

• Haha
Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
I agree that American coffee shouldn't even be called coffee. It is just dishwater. There are so many variations of coffee available in Australia that if you can't find one to suit you then you should just go back to the States. As for our dairy! It's beautifully fresh and very healthy. At least it's not the junk that Yanks eat. All that processed rubbish. For some reason they actually like processed cheese which is like eating plastic.

Not being a coffee aficionado (I only drink instant at home) I never order coffee when out and about as I've no idea what's what.

After spending time on holiday in various States of America and finding the coffee tasted like dishwater as well as most of the food being way too sweet, (and don't get me started on the huge serving sizes), The only thing I wanted when returning home was a slice of toast and vegemite as well as a decent cup of coffee

Reactions: Singomate and Ricci
Americans are weird anyway: they carry guns and follow the second amendment ( to their constitution) and think it is pkay to shoot Australians who are law abiding (weird) . Every American movie that I have watched has gun violence or/and explosions. I figure that the media reflex the attitudes and culture and so I wouldn't go there in a fit. Dominos pizzas promoted the New Yorker pizza and all it was was (bloody) cheese, I mean heaps of the stuff with very little for anything else.
I have very little respect for Americans.

They don't accept a democratic vote. Instead, the vote is not compulsory and as history shows, if they don't like the outcome of a demoncratic election, they storm their parliament (capital hill - 6th Jan).
They are weird.

Reactions: Gaena
Not all american coffee is bad, it really depends on which state, (as in location not mental) you are in and the place you buy it from. I drink black coffee no sugar, when I go to the US I dont do Starbucks, Macca's, any fast food joints et all. Go to proper coffee shops where they buy there coffee beans direct and roast them themselves. You will not get any dishwatery, mud from those type establishments. Hawaii has great coffee, so does Vermont, Pennsylvania, and New York state, probably because they get from across the border maybe. There was also a little place just outside of the Grand Canyon called Bedrock City that made absolutely brilliant coffee and sold it by the cup for a dime, food was good too, unfortunately google now tells me its closed.
As for our dairy consumption, really, I believe we are a close fourth place with the Yanks behind the French, Canadians, and Poms. My husband usually has a big bekky when we go out for breakfast, he did it in the States and the trays of food just kept on coming.