American expat confuses Aussie Spotlight employees over the word 'Pillow' – Can you figure out why?

For people who grew up outside of Australia, there are bound to be a few culture shocks here and there – especially when it comes to the way we speak.

It might not be noticeable at first, but a lot of the words and phrases commonly used on a daily basis back home can mean something completely different Down Under. It can be confusing, to say the least!

Case in point: one woman's recent experience at her local Spotlight store.

One of the most common (and surprising) things we've noticed is how different the terminology is for some everyday objects. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, something comes along to trip you up!

This is exactly what happened to Sophia Kim. She is an American expat, and CEO of Siempre Golden swimwear, who moved from Los Angeles to Sydney. Because she’s new to the city, she needed a couple of things for her home.

She said wanted new couch cushions, so she did what any normal person would do and headed down to her local homeware store for some help.

pexels-cottonbro-4108984.jpg
Pillows are called ‘inserts’ in some cities in Australia. Credit: cottonbro in Pexels

In the now-viral clip, Sophia recalled how she got confused while shopping. ‘I kept asking them, “Where are the pillows?”’

‘Some people would say the front of the store then I’d go ask someone else.’ After that, an employee would redirect her to the back of the store to check for pillows herself.

Sophia said she finally met another worker who then clarified if she was looking for ‘pillows’ or ‘inserts’. This confused Sophia, so she asked ‘What’s the difference?’.

The employee over at Spotlight explained that pillows are ‘what you lay your head on in bed’, and ‘inserts’ are the case-less cushions that go on a couch – which is what Sophia was looking for.

sydney.JPG
Sydney shared she looped around the store multiple times trying to find pillows. Credit: sophiainsydney on TikTok

Sophia concludes that the mix-up was just another 'lost in translation' moment for her, but Aussies were just as confused as she was, claiming that they weren’t aware of the term either.

‘Never heard of the term “inserts” in my 37 years of life in Sydney. It’s cushions for the couch?!’ Someone commented on her video.

Another user said: ‘I’m Australian and I thought they were all pillows? Who says “inserts?” Haha.’

A few people joked around in the comments section, saying ‘Wait, you actually got service at Spotlight? Can’t relate.’ Sophia responded to this and said, ‘I had to be extra, extra, extra nice.’

While another added: ‘It’s a rite of passage for all new to Australia.’

The video, which has been viewed over 17,000 times, can be found here:

Key Takeaways

• Sophia Kim, an American expat who moved from Los Angeles to Sydney, has shared a ‘lost in translation’ moment while looking for pillows.
  • She went to her local Spotlight in search of cushion inserts for her couch but was sent to all corners of the store after asking confused employees where the 'pillows' were.
  • After some time, a Spotlight worker told her ‘pillows’ are what you lay your head on in bed whereas ‘inserts’ are the case-less cushions that go on a couch.
  • Her video was viewed more than 17,000 times and had many Australians in the comments baffled by the term 'insert'.
And there you have it, dear members! Were you aware of the term ‘insert’ before? We’ve always just known them as ‘cushion covers’. Have you experienced something similar while travelling? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
The inserts are actually a separate item that goes inside a cushion cover. And cushions are what goes on the lounge or chairs or whatever - pillows are definitely only for sleeping on. I have notice quite a few people who call cushions pillows

For people who grew up outside of Australia, there are bound to be a few culture shocks here and there – especially when it comes to the way we speak.

It might not be noticeable at first, but a lot of the words and phrases commonly used on a daily basis back home can mean something completely different Down Under. It can be confusing, to say the least!

One of the most common (and surprising) things we've noticed is how different the terminology is for some everyday objects. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, something comes along to trip you up!

This is exactly what happened to Sophia Kim. She is an American expat, and CEO of Siempre Golden swimwear, who moved from Los Angeles to Sydney. Because she’s new to the city, she needed a couple of things for her home.

She said wanted new couch cushions, so she did what any normal person would do and headed down to her local homeware store for some help.

View attachment 7544
Pillows are called ‘inserts’ in some cities in Australia. Credit: cottonbro in Pexels

In the now-viral clip, Sophia recalled how she got confused while shopping. ‘I kept asking them, “Where are the pillows?”’

‘Some people would say the front of the store then I’d go ask someone else.’ After that, an employee would redirect her to the back of the store to check for pillows herself.

Sophia said she finally met another worker who then clarified if she was looking for ‘pillows’ or ‘inserts’. This confused Sophia, so she asked ‘What’s the difference?’.

The employee over at Spotlight explained that pillows are ‘what you lay your head on in bed’, and ‘inserts’ are the case-less cushions that go on a couch – which is what Sophia was looking for.

View attachment 7545
Sydney shared she looped around the store multiple times trying to find pillows. Credit: sophiainsydney on TikTok

Sophia concludes that the mix-up was just another 'lost in translation' moment for her, but Aussies were just as confused as she was, claiming that they weren’t aware of the term either.

‘Never heard of the term “inserts” in my 37 years of life in Sydney. It’s cushions for the couch?!’ Someone commented on her video.

Another user said: ‘I’m Australian and I thought they were all pillows? Who says “inserts?” Haha.’

A few people joked around in the comments section, saying ‘Wait, you actually got service at Spotlight? Can’t relate.’ Sophia responded to this and said, ‘I had to be extra, extra, extra nice.’

Key Takeaways

• Sophia Kim, an American expat who moved from Los Angeles to Sydney, has shared a ‘lost in translation’ moment while looking for pillows.
  • She went to her local Spotlight in search of cushion inserts for her couch but was sent to all corners of the store after asking confused employees where the 'pillows' were.
  • After some time, a Spotlight worker told her ‘pillows’ are what you lay your head on in bed whereas ‘inserts’ are the case-less cushions that go on a couch.
  • Her video was viewed more than 17,000 times and had many Australians in the comments baffled by the term 'insert'.
And there you have it, dear members! Were you aware of the term ‘insert’ before? We’ve always just known them as ‘cushion covers’. Have you experienced something similar while travelling? Let us know in the comments below.

No I did not know that !!! I am Australian ...there you go never too old to learn..

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci

View attachment 7544

View attachment 7545

Key Takeaways

The insert has always been the stuffing bit you buy to put inside a cushion. It is not a cushion until it has the outer covering on it. And a pillow is a pillow. On the bed for your head. I have never heard it called anything different.

Cushions consist of 2 parts,
a cushion cover and the filling or insert.
The cover can be unzipped in order to be able to wash it. These can be used on sofas, couches, chairs or the floor.

A pillow also comes with 2 parts, a pillow slip and a pillow insert goes inside the pillowslip.
Pillows are used for supporting your head on a bed.

Last edited:

View attachment 7544

View attachment 7545

Key Takeaways

Yes I know inserts are the plain cushion things that go inside cushion covers to make cushions.
I once had an experience in a quality young children's clothing store probably 30 years ago. I went in and asked for a "Dickie Bow" for my young son! An alternative to a tie lol. I wondered why she looked at me, shocked!!! I had to explain. exactly what it was lol! Ex-Pom!!

View attachment 7544

View attachment 7545

Key Takeaways

They both got it wrong as an insert is what goes into a cushion cover. Spotlight normally sell cushions with inserts already in them or inserts on their own. I’ve not really seen any cushion covers without the insert in them in Spotlight. But it’s been a while since I’ve looked.

Reactions: paulamc52
Who the hell has ever heard of inserts except they are what you put INSIDE the cushion covers or for that matter inserts means just that they go inside something. Cushions are what go on couches and pillows are what we sleep on. SIMPLE.

E
The insert has always been the stuffing bit you buy to put inside a cushion. It is not a cushion until it has the outer covering on it. And a pillow is a pillow. On the bed for your head. I have never heard it called anything different.
exactly, if you make your own cushions then you need your chosen fabric and an insert to put inside the
cover after you've made it. They come in many different sizes and have been around for as long as I can remember. Not so many people sew these days I guess.

There’s been enough written about cushion vs pillows. But here’s one that surprised me. What we call a Bum Bag in America they refer to it as a fanny bag. Don’t try that in Sydney town you might get a slap in the face.

There’s been enough written about cushion vs pillows. But here’s one that surprised me. What we call a Bum Bag in America they refer to it as a fanny bag. Don’t try that in Sydney town you might get a slap in the face.
I think that you may have got that wrong, yes we call it a bum bag BUT if you say that in the US you will get the most strange looks because in the US the word Fanny refers to a part of our anatomy our backside, have been to the US many times and had this discussion with them they can't understand why we would call a bag after a backside. And of cause if we call it a Fanny pack that has a whole other meaning

Last edited: