Happyhawk

May 26, 2023
Am I being unreasonable

Hi guys here’s the thing I’m a volunteer ok I pretty much enjoy the elements of the physical the mental and social stimulus but for some time now my 35 hrs a week of such is now shadowing me as being “ on call “ texts and messages from a project manager on weekends connected with sub contractors where I’m expected to make decisions with the intent of them being right And the added bonus of a static council.
thoughts please

cheers. Ian

stand up for yourself for goodness sake. it is voluntary, just ask this person does he know what it means?? a backbone is often required.
stand up for yourself for goodness sake. it is voluntary, just ask this person does he know what it means?? a backbone is often required.
Well with respect it’s not at all a feeling of not having a backbone as you refer to it I’m a team leader of a well matured crew whom have seen my verbal aggressive side when things do go beyond reason Do indeed realise a volunteer can be asked not to come back and as I said it’s something we all love being involved but one also needs to be diplomatic to a point

Reactions: Jarred Santos
@Happyhawk. How about a general announcement on the Friday (in the nicest possible way) that you will not be available ALL weekend and that your phone will be off to all things work related until Monday. Start them off gently?

@Happyhawk. How about a general announcement on the Friday (in the nicest possible way) that you will not be available ALL weekend and that your phone will be off to all things work related until Monday. Start them off gently?
What I’ve done in the past is just not reacted to any contact over a weekend period only to have things said like. Hey where were you on such n such a day so then take it like I’m not interested so further from the truth As some say yes I’m not paid but I cant ,won’t walk away

No, the way it is, if something needs to be sorted on-site --- and remember it’s a council-run space maintained by us, the volunteers --- it’s often when the need for decisions of kind concerning immediate action. Well, there's obviously no council reps here so yes some are made “on the spot “ and dealt with later, whereas I’ve never had a hassle in making them. I’m here often enough I know the “if’s n buts“ backwoods
The decision ultimately is yours. You are obviously not happy with the way you are being treated otherwise you would not have raised this issue. Either give it away or make your feelings known and see what the result is and if you are still not satisfied you will know what to do. Either put up with it or resign.

The decision ultimately is yours. You are obviously not happy with the way you are being treated otherwise you would not have raised this issue. Either give it away or make your feelings known and see what the result is and if you are still not satisfied you will know what to do. Either put up with it or resign.
Certainly didn’t raise to ask for an ultimatum just so I’d get a few respected opinions You know you don’t always have to resign to change something. That’s the easy way. Not for me it ain’t

Am I being unreasonable

Hi guys here’s the thing I’m a volunteer ok I pretty much enjoy the elements of the physical the mental and social stimulus but for some time now my 35 hrs a week of such is now shadowing me as being “ on call “ texts and messages from a project manager on weekends connected with sub contractors where I’m expected to make decisions with the intent of them being right And the added bonus of a static council.
thoughts please

cheers. Ian
Hi Ian.
I too volunteer: in two areas of a hospital where I was previously employed and at an Info centre where I have been involved for over 20 years. As a retiree, I find a total of 14 hours a week is my limit. (I had to forgo some of the other activities.) As a volunteer in these areas the only "outside hours" are an occassional social gathering.
You may need to get a "job discreption" as it seems you are expected to take on tasks which should be the responsibility of a paid employee.
I realise the satisfaction of being useful, it is priceless, but we have earned the right to have our time respected.
Perhaps the employer could take on a part time paid employee and you could take pride in training them?
Enjoy your retirement. You earned it.

Hi Ian.
I too volunteer: in two areas of a hospital where I was previously employed and at an Info centre where I have been involved for over 20 years. As a retiree, I find a total of 14 hours a week is my limit. (I had to forgo some of the other activities.) As a volunteer in these areas the only "outside hours" are an occassional social gathering.
You may need to get a "job discreption" as it seems you are expected to take on tasks which should be the responsibility of a paid employee.
I realise the satisfaction of being useful, it is priceless, but we have earned the right to have our time respected.
Perhaps the employer could take on a part time paid employee and you could take pride in training them?
Hi Ian.
hi Sally thanks for your kind words and although I’ve heard before from many about The possibility of bring paid in some form unfortunately we bound by a council whom find it better to “ use the volunteers “ then in some way come to any type of arrangement our alternative is to abandon the gardens whereas it would be left to council to maintain and that beggars belief A small band of committed volunteers couldn’t see that occur as it’s our 20 yr anniversary and to leave is not an option They/ the council ) well know that too and play upon that fact so you see we in a kind of “ catch 22 “ they love what we doing. It’s free. No wonder

while you get satisfaction and a sense of belonging, the sad fact is you're being screwed over pure and simple. Man up, grow a set and say want all the things I'm doing? Then make a permanent paid position of award type payment or I step aside, change my phone number and let someone else get no time to themselves and no renumeration.