Happyhawk

May 26, 2023
Am I being unreasonable

Hi guys here’s the thing I’m a volunteer ok I pretty much enjoy the elements of the physical the mental and social stimulus but for some time now my 35 hrs a week of such is now shadowing me as being “ on call “ texts and messages from a project manager on weekends connected with sub contractors where I’m expected to make decisions with the intent of them being right And the added bonus of a static council.
thoughts please

cheers. Ian

Am I being unreasonable

Hi guys here’s the thing I’m a volunteer ok I pretty much enjoy the elements of the physical the mental and social stimulus but for some time now my 35 hrs a week of such is now shadowing me as being “ on call “ texts and messages from a project manager on weekends connected with sub contractors where I’m expected to make decisions with the intent of them being right And the added bonus of a static council.
thoughts please

cheers. Ian
Hmm this is quite complicated seeing as this is purely on voluntary time (as opposed to there being compensation, which would lend some space for entitlement to your time) ... Would you mind telling us what expectations were set on both your and their ends when this partnership started @Happyhawk? Please feel free to not be too specific for your privacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macarj
Hmm this is quite complicated seeing as this is purely on voluntary time (as opposed to there being compensation, which would lend some space for entitlement to your time) ... Would you mind telling us what expectations were set on both your and their ends when this partnership started @Happyhawk? Please feel free to not be too specific for your privacy.
Yes of course it started off as myself just needing to find space after a rather incredible medical experience and this green space seemed the short time answer then the atmosphere grabbed me in the social, emotional , physical sense of things as I grew into a leadership role it seemed he more you give. The mores expected don’t get me wrong I do spend a lot of time in this 27 hectares space but the longer it’s progressed the more I’m ask to Take on That includes the anticipated inclusion of all types of inspirations I meet One just feels the need to without intension to contact on weekends seems a little untoward of my “ me time “

Yes of course it started off as myself just needing to find space after a rather incredible medical experience and this green space seemed the short time answer then the atmosphere grabbed me in the social, emotional , physical sense of things as I grew into a leadership role it seemed he more you give. The mores expected don’t get me wrong I do spend a lot of time in this 27 hectares space but the longer it’s progressed the more I’m ask to Take on That includes the anticipated inclusion of all types of inspirations I meet One just feels the need to without intension to contact on weekends seems a little untoward of my “ me time “
If I get it correctly, you want more of your 'me time' back? Without the added responsibilities? Have you talked to anyone in the space about this?

I'm a people pleaser myself, so I also have trouble saying 'no' even when every fibre of my being is screaming it :LOL:

If I get it correctly, you want more of your 'me time' back? Without the added responsibilities? Have you talked to anyone in the space about this?

I'm a people pleaser myself, so I also have trouble saying 'no' even when every fibre of my being is screaming it :LOL:
No haven’t really spoken to anyone else just seemed relevant when I read the forum question one of the issues is I’m involved in organising a very varied crew and being able to accomodate differing needs from work experience kids to ones of various backgrounds wishing to be integrated in some ways back into the social atmosphere

No haven’t really spoken to anyone else just seemed relevant when I read the forum question one of the issues is I’m involved in organising a very varied crew and being able to accomodate differing needs from work experience kids to ones of various backgrounds wishing to be integrated in some ways back into the social atmosphere
My humble opinion on this is it would be best to lay down your boundaries as amicably as possible so you also don't lose the circle in the end. I know it's really a lot more easier said than done.

I honestly don't think you're being unreasonable with respecting your own time, especially when it's being consumed at the expense of others'.

That being said, I'm very curious as to how other members will tackle this 🤔

My humble opinion on this is it would be best to lay down your boundaries as amicably as possible so you also don't lose the circle in the end. I know it's really a lot more easier said than done.

I honestly don't think you're being unreasonable with respecting your own time, especially when it's being consumed at the expense of others'.

That being said, I'm very curious as to how other members will tackle this 🤔
I won’t lose what has been achieved and still some to come I do come with some intensity with it’s a known fact that I’m aggressive towards the aim of further conditioning of the network being created I’m amicable to a point then it becomes the way which suits how I can work things best

I won’t lose what has been achieved and still some to come I do come with some intensity with it’s a known fact that I’m aggressive towards the aim of further conditioning of the network being created I’m amicable to a point then it becomes the way which suits how I can work things best
Just a bit curious, with the set-up now, what do you think is the most ideal balance for you? Would you just want to get rid of the expectation to be 'on call', or is there something else you'd prefer?

Reactions: Macarj
Just a bit curious, with the set-up now, what do you think is the most ideal balance for you? Would you just want to get rid of the expectation to be 'on call', or is there something else you'd prefer?
The understanding would be to let the ship sail nicely as it is without unwanted intervention where it’s not needed petty issues which don’t need a “ witch-hunt “ to satisfy anyone involved As I deal now with connected council issues mainly due to the fact I’m there a lot and see n hear more than most only by conscious

Am I being unreasonable

thoughts please

cheers. Ian
My view, it's abuse of your goodwill and bullying. You mention Project Manager and Sub Contractor. They are getting big bucks to run and do the job. A lot of managers, can't manage and they pray on the least resistance, this bullying. Remember, a volunteer is just that. Unfortunately, they pull at at your heart strings and mindset.. only you can decide when enough is enough.

Am I being unreasonable

thoughts please

cheers. Ian
You are absolutely not unreasonable. You choose what you do or don't do.

Am I being unreasonable

thoughts please

cheers. Ian
I would make it known that I am a "volunteer" and as such do not wish to be taken for granted. I find it a bit puzzling as you mentioned the word "council". Should this not be a "paid" positon if you have to make decisions. Does not sound right to me to be honest. Legally how would you stand if you made an incorrect decision?

Reflect on this (and i am not being nasty in any way) but what would happen if you were run over by a bus tomorrow, would the organization continue on without a blip? If so then its safe to say the managers are using you up for their own benefit and you need to set boundaries, your time is your own and it is precious as we are all limited in the time we have. if you need me time just say I won't be available and turn the phone off

Am I being unreasonable

thoughts please

cheers. Ian
stand up for yourself for goodness sake. it is voluntary, just ask this person does he know what it means?? a backbone is often required.

I would make it known that I am a "volunteer" and as such do not wish to be taken for granted. I find it a bit puzzling as you mentioned the word "council". Should this not be a "paid" positon if you have to make decisions. Does not sound right to me to be honest. Legally how would you stand if you made an incorrect decision?
No, the way it is, if something needs to be sorted on-site --- and remember it’s a council-run space maintained by us, the volunteers --- it’s often when the need for decisions of kind concerning immediate action. Well, there's obviously no council reps here so yes some are made “on the spot “ and dealt with later, whereas I’ve never had a hassle in making them. I’m here often enough I know the “if’s n buts“ backwoods

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jarred Santos