110090.jpg

True History of the Kelly Gang​

Peter Carey

“I lost my own father at 12 yr. of age and know what it is to be raised on lies and silences my dear daughter you are presently too young to understand a word I write but this history is for you and will contain no single lie may I burn in Hell if I speak false.”

In True History of the Kelly Gang, the legendary Ned Kelly speaks for himself, scribbling his narrative on errant scraps of paper in semiliterate but magically descriptive prose as he flees from the police. To his pursuers, Kelly is nothing but a monstrous criminal, a thief and a murderer. To his own people, the lowly class of ordinary Australians, the bushranger is a hero, defying the authority of the English to direct their lives. Indentured by his bootlegger mother to a famous horse thief (who was also her lover), Ned saw his first prison cell at 15 and by the age of 26 had become the most wanted man in the wild colony of Victoria, taking over whole towns and defying the law until he was finally captured and hanged
Not sure if its all the same Peter Carey, but he's churned out a massive array of books, fiction and non fiction.

Reactions: MJFlack
61Gk6VjdY2L.jpg
The Lost Princess of Oz

Authour: Frank Baum
Publisher: The Reily & Lee Co. Chicago
Date: 1917

Review: Unbeknown to me, Frank Baum had written an assortment of books that centred on the fabled land of Oz. A range of stories that were motivated by his young readers creative imagination. As he explains it; "Some of my youthful readers are developing wonderful imaginations. This pleases me. Imagination has brought mankind through the dark ages to its' present state of civilisation". In this instalment we find Dorothy living in the land of Oz with a group of close friends. All of which had been introduced through earlier books. With the Fairy Princess gone missing and strange events taking place, it is up to this curious group of friends to find the Princess and return Oz to what passes for everyday fun for those who live there.

Fun and entertaining reading for all ages.

Michael

The Quartet by Joseph J. Ellis to the mix. There's something so satisfying about organizing books in alphabetical order and discovering hidden literary gems along the way. If you're up for a fun twist, you should definitely check out the unscramble books tool. It adds a playful challenge to your reading journey and might introduce you to titles you haven't come across before. So, enjoy the adventure of expanding your bookshelf with new stories and experiences! And remember, the joy of reading is a lifelong companion.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJFlack and Wandiwa
71TJTDx6ASL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
Return to Sodom and Gomorra

Book: Return to Sodom and Gomorra
Author: Charles Pellegrino
Publisher: Werner Soderstrom Osakeyhtio (Finland)
ISBN: 0380726335
Subject: Theology/Archaeology

Notes: A good mixture of witticism, history, folklore, and down to earth archaeology. Every time I thought I was ready to put the book aside and get distracted I actually found something new that I had not expected.

Pellegrino has sewn together a fascinating theory that ties together several concepts and ideas that are already accepted in the Biblical history of our planet. And then he goes on to challenge some time honoured concepts with ideas that are rather of the beaten track.

Perhaps a little heavy for most, this book is none the less a good read and worthy of consideration. And yes, I can truthfully say I enjoyed it thoroughly.

M J Flack

Notes: A good mixture of witticism, history, folklore, and down to earth archaeology. Every time I thought I was ready to put the book aside and get distracted I actually found something new that I had not expected.

Pellegrino has sewn together a fascinating theory that ties together several concepts and ideas that are already accepted in the Biblical history of our planet. And then he goes on to challenge some time honoured concepts with ideas that are rather of the beaten track.

Perhaps a little heavy for most, this book is none the less a good read and worthy of consideration. And yes, I can truthfully say I enjoyed it thoroughly.

M J Flack
One series on Netflix, in this vein is Ancient Apocolypse. 8 x 30min episodes. Thought provoking. Highly recommended.
1695032007489.png

M J Flack
Currently got this audio book out of my local library. Thank you for recommending it. 2 thumbs up.

I'm thinking we have somehow strayed away from the alphabetical order of book titles. All good I would guess.

"Any book in a storm"​

Should that be added to my growing list of personal quotes?

1696131563351.jpeg

Title: The Time Machine
Author: HG Wells
Pub: Amazon
ISBN: 0553213512

Review: In keeping with the recent interest in Doctor Who and his remarkable Time Traveling T.A.R.D.I.S.: I figured I might look back on a classic of English literature. In HG Wells, The Time Machine. We find a range of thoughts and reflections on both the life and times the Wells lived in. But also the held vision of what the future might hold for all humanity.

Woven in to the story is the condition of society as broken into two classes. Those that worked and lived in sheltered basements and lower levels of building. As well as those who lived and relied on them on the surface. The two take on a completely sinister aspect in the far future as those who rely on services become weak. While those below become stronger yet more volatile and aggressive. Thus we have the effeminate ??? and the aggressive Morlock's.

Unlike the polished and whimsical story as portrayed by Hollywood. The original story does not tell of a happy ending. Nor does it give a glimmer of hope for humanity and the future. We discover a somewhat selfish side to the Traveler's character as he treats the surface dwellers with a level of contempt. Even at the cost of the life of ??? who he had saved in his early encounter with these people.

Then the tragic lines at the end of the book tells us that everything that had taken place would be forever entrenched. Without the chance of redemption. As the Traveler himself becomes a victim of his own arrogance and fatalism. We find this in the lines...

The Epilogue:
"stared for a minute at the Time Machine and put out my hand and touched the lever. At that the squat substantial-looking mass swayed like a bough shaken by the wind. Its instability startled me extremely,"

Which makes sense of:
"As I took hold of the handle of the door I heard an exclamation, oddly truncated at the end, and a click and a thud. A gust of air whirled round me as I opened the door, and from within came the sound of broken glass falling on the floor."

Forget the movies and the Post Modern Hype. Read the original and see what the real story is. Then make your own decision as to the merits of the book.

M J Flack

Reactions: Littleboy8
I'm thinking we have somehow strayed away from the alphabetical order of book titles. All good I would guess.

"Any book in a storm"​

Should that be added to my growing list of personal quotes?

Title: The Time Machine
Author: HG Wells
Pub: Amazon
ISBN: 0553213512

Review: In keeping with the recent interest in Doctor Who and his remarkable Time Traveling T.A.R.D.I.S.: I figured I might look back on a classic of English literature. In HG Wells, The Time Machine. We find a range of thoughts and reflections on both the life and times the Wells lived in. But also the held vision of what the future might hold for all humanity.

Woven in to the story is the condition of society as broken into two classes. Those that worked and lived in sheltered basements and lower levels of building. As well as those who lived and relied on them on the surface. The two take on a completely sinister aspect in the far future as those who rely on services become weak. While those below become stronger yet more volatile and aggressive. Thus we have the effeminate ??? and the aggressive Morlock's.

Unlike the polished and whimsical story as portrayed by Hollywood. The original story does not tell of a happy ending. Nor does it give a glimmer of hope for humanity and the future. We discover a somewhat selfish side to the Traveler's character as he treats the surface dwellers with a level of contempt. Even at the cost of the life of ??? who he had saved in his early encounter with these people.

Then the tragic lines at the end of the book tells us that everything that had taken place would be forever entrenched. Without the chance of redemption. As the Traveler himself becomes a victim of his own arrogance and fatalism. We find this in the lines...

The Epilogue:
"stared for a minute at the Time Machine and put out my hand and touched the lever. At that the squat substantial-looking mass swayed like a bough shaken by the wind. Its instability startled me extremely,"

Which makes sense of:
"As I took hold of the handle of the door I heard an exclamation, oddly truncated at the end, and a click and a thud. A gust of air whirled round me as I opened the door, and from within came the sound of broken glass falling on the floor."

Forget the movies and the Post Modern Hype. Read the original and see what the real story is. Then make your own decision as to the merits of the book.

M J Flack
FYI: Eloi and the Morlocks (but I had to Google it)

Under The Banner Of Heaven.

10847.jpg

Story of Violent Faith

A multilayered, bone-chilling narrative of messianic delusion, savage violence, polygamy, and unyielding faith. This is vintage Krakauer, an utterly compelling work of nonfiction that illuminates an otherwise confounding realm of human behavior.

Jon Krakauer’s literary reputation rests on insightful chronicles of lives conducted at the outer limits. In Under The Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith, he shifts his focus from extremes of physical adventure to extremes of religious belief within our own borders. At the core of his book is an appalling double murder committed by two Mormon Fundamentalist brothers, Ron and Dan Lafferty, who insist they received a revelation from God commanding them to kill their blameless victims. Beginning with a meticulously researched account of this "divinely inspired" crime, Krakauer constructs a multilayered, bone-chilling narrative of messianic delusion, savage violence, polygamy, and unyielding faith. Along the way, he uncovers a shadowy offshoot of America’s fastest-growing religion, and raises provocative questions about the nature of religious belief.

Krakauer takes readers inside isolated communities in the American West, Canada, and Mexico, where some forty-thousand Mormon Fundamentalists believe the mainstream Mormon Church went unforgivably astray when it renounced polygamy. Defying both civil authorities and the Mormon establishment in Salt Lake City, the leaders of these outlaw sects are zealots who answer only to God. Marrying prodigiously and with virtual impunity (the leader of the largest fundamentalist church took seventy-five "plural wives," several of whom were wed to him when they were fourteen or fifteen and he was in his eighties), fundamentalist prophets exercise absolute control over the lives of their followers, and preach that any day now the world will be swept clean in a hurricane of fire, sparing only their most obedient adherents.

Weaving the story of the Lafferty brothers and their fanatical brethren with a clear-eyed look at Mormonism’s violent past, Krakauer examines the underbelly of the most successful homegrown faith in the United States, and finds a distinctly American brand of religious extremism. The result is vintage Krakauer, an utterly compelling work of nonfiction that illuminates an otherwise confounding realm of human behavior.

I just dont understand how polygamy can work in a small community. If one guy has many wives, then there's gotta be many bachelors that miss out on a partner. That's got to lead to jealousy, affairs, homosexuality or at worst murder.
Alot of Mormons practice polygamy, I don't know how they do it . I don't understand how the husband can keep up to 4 wives sometimes more and there has to be jealousy.

They go mostly by the book of Mormon. And the old testament from the bible . I wonder what they would do if it was the woman who had multiple husbands.

They bring in women from outside of the community

• Wow
Alot of Mormons practice polygamy, I don't know how they do it . I don't understand how the husband can keep up to 4 wives sometimes more and there has to be jealousy.

They go mostly by the book of Mormon. And the old testament from the bible . I wonder what they would do if it was the woman who had multiple husbands.

They bring in women from outside of the community
Its all the mother in laws, I'd struggle with.