MJFlack

Nov 4, 2022
Alphabetical Books/Novels

Many people love a good read. And many people love a good alphabetical list.

So here we can have the two.

Just follow from the last book/novel title and post one of your own.
If you can add an image that would be fun.

I'll start
Alice in Wonderland
Alice.jpg

Bag Of Bones ... Stephen King
bag-of-bones.jpg

When Mike Noonan's wife dies unexpectedly, the bestselling author suffers from writer's block. Until he is drawn to his summer home, the beautiful lakeside retreat called Sara Laughs.

Here Mike finds the once familiar town in the tyrannical grip of millionaire Max Devore. Devore is hell-bent on getting custody of his deceased son's daughter and is twisting the fabric of the community to this purpose.

Three year old Kyra and her young mother turn to Mike for help. And Mike finds them increasingly irresistible.

But there are other more sinister forces at Sara Laughs - and Kyra can feel them too...

City of the Beasts
allende.jpg
Title: City of the Beasts
Authouress: Isabel Allende
ISBN: 0-0-714637-X
Pub: Flamingo

Isabel Allende takes on a journey into the dark heart of the Amazon. And a journey into a young boys growing awareness of himself and the world he lives in. As an authouress she breathes a special life into her characters. Making them come to life in our imaginations as we read the story. There are lessons for both Alex Cold, the young protagonist. As well as for the reader as they reflect on what they have shared in reading along with the journey. We are given a glimpse of a World on the edge of discovery and destruction. A World that may well vanish before it is completely revealed. One that we should all take special note of while there is still time to do so.

M J Flack

Reactions: Littleboy8
9781400079179.jpg

A fascinating and absorbing thriller -- perfect for history buffs, conspiracy nuts, puzzle lovers or anyone who appreciates a great, riveting story.

While in Paris on business, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been murdered inside the museum. Near the body, police have found a baffling cipher. While working to solve the enigmatic riddle, Langdon is stunned to discover it leads to a trail of clues hidden in the works of Da Vinci -- clues visible for all to see -- yet ingeniously disguised by the painter.

Langdon joins forces with a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, and learns the late curator was involved in the Priory of Sion -- an actual secret society whose members included Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Da Vinci, among others.

In a breathless race through Paris, London, and beyond, Langdon and Neveu match wits with a faceless powerbroker who seems to anticipate their every move. Unless Langdon and Neveu can decipher the labyrinthine puzzle in time, the Priory's ancient secret -- and an explosive historical truth -- will be lost forever.

Reactions: MJFlack
[the] Epic of Gilgamesh
138372.jpg
Authour/Translator: N. K. Sanders
Language: English
Genre: Poetry
Publisher: Penguin Classics
ISBN: 0804717117
Origin Date: c. 2100–1200 BC

Review: We begin this epic with Gilgamesh, King of Uruk, and his companion Enkidu living the life and the bromance unique to the mythology of Mesopotamia. Historically these are the only heroes to have survived from the ancient literature of Babylon. They have been immortalized in this epic poem that dates back to the 3rd millennium BC.

Together they journey to the Spring of Youth, defeat the Bull of Heaven and slay the monster Humbaba. When Enkidu dies, Gilgamesh's grief is expressed. Though I might mention that Gilgamesh is portrayed as hugging Enkidu's body for days. Lamenting the loss of his soul partner. That is until a maggot falls out of Enkidu's nose. At which Gilgamesh decided it might be a good time to bury hid friend.

Perhaps facing death seriously for the first time, undertakes a quest for eternal life. A timeless tale of morality, tragedy and pure adventure, The Epic of Gilgamesh is a landmark literary exploration of man's search for immortality. It's also a vignette of the world at the time. Reflecting the social mores and philosophical thoughts of the culture.

M J Flack

Footrot Flats LW.jpg

Footrot Flats has been enjoyed by people from all walks of life for many years. While it helps a bit to have some farming background, the strip is essentially about a man and his dog.

Set against a backdrop on a New Zealand farm, it could be any place where a few animals gather together to amuse, torment and baffle their human counterparts.

Available in an array of comic strips, books and a movie. My cup of tea.

The Gleemaiden
711C0Pd8arL._AC_UF350,350_QL50_.jpg

Authouress: Sylvian Hamilton
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: Amazon
Series: Sir Richard Straccan #3
Publication date: 2005
ISBN: 0755307143

Review: I really enjoyed this. The characters were real and easily relatable. There were many unique and yet intertwined shore lines that threaded through the book. Unlike some books that can fizzle out at the end, The Gleemaiden kept you guessing as the myriad of shore lines soon become woven together in a mesmerising image of continuity.

Now that I know this is part of a series I am looking forward to reading the other books.

MJ Flack

For those who are lacking anything to brag about.
This jokes been on here, so you've probaly seen it.

A man is struggling to pick up women at the beach, so he consults his friend, that always has the ladies hanging around him, who tells him, “Dude, women are into the bulge! Put a potato or two in your speedos, and the ladies will come flocking to you!”

After trying it out a few days later, he finds his friend on the beach, and angrily asks, “What the hell am I doing wrong? The ladies look repulsed and they’re laughing at me. is this some kind of joke?”

To which his friend replied, “The potatoes go in the front, not the back”

Screenshot_20230817_210033_Gallery.jpg

Discover the fascinating and singular life story of Josephine Baker—actress, singer, dancer, Civil Rights activist, member of the French Resistance during WWII, and a woman dedicated to erasing prejudice and creating a more equitable world—in Josephine Baker’s Last Dance.

In this illuminating biographical novel, Sherry Jones brings to life Josephine's early years in servitude and poverty in America, her rise to fame as a showgirl in her famous banana skirt, her activism against discrimination, and her many loves and losses. From 1920s Paris to 1960s Washington, to her final, triumphant performance, one of the most extraordinary lives of the twentieth century comes to stunning life on the page.

Reactions: MJFlack
Mein Kampf.jpg
I'm joking, not recommending this book, I actually have an original copy of this book printed in German. I have attempted to read an english version, definitely not easy reading.

What is the title in English. Is it his biography ?
Mein Kampf translates to My Struggles.
Probably more of his political views before his ambitions manifested.
You can download a PDF English version easily off the web.
My copy is on the bookshelf hard up against the Holy Bible, I'm surprised there hasn't been spontaneous combustion LOL.

Mein Kampf translates to My Struggles.
Probably more of his political views before his ambitions manifested.
You can download a PDF English version easily off the web.
My copy is on the bookshelf hard up against the Holy Bible, I'm surprised there hasn't been spontaneous combustion LOL.
Your copy might be worth a bit , you should get it valued.
I'm taking my grandson to the Jewish Museum, I remember going once and there was an elderly lady who survived the holocaust. I could have spoke to her for hours