All about ‘blepharoplasty’: the latest cosmetic procedure taking Australia by storm

Before we get into the nuts and bolts of this article, we’d like to emphasise that we are not encouraging anyone to go under the knife – nor do we think that any of you need to do so! If you’re curious about how the procedure works, you’ve been considering it or simply want to hear about the new procedure Aussies are taking up, then we’ve got you covered.

We’re in full support of everybody’s freedom to choose what makes them feel happier and more confident with their bodies.

Since Facebook and Instagram took over the internet, it has been easier to nitpick things we don’t like about ourselves and compare them with others. From a wave of public figures getting rhinoplasties, lip fillers, and butt lifts, the latest trend on the rise is blepharoplasty operations.

In fact, well-known comedian Julia Morris boasted about the stark difference that the surgery made on her Instagram profile. In the before and after pictures, the 54-year-old star looked bright-eyed and fresh, describing it as an ‘eye beef removal’.

yZ7UF1C5iEm6EGlcayXC2Nq6xo2rpggjUHdxTchRSgcQMuSzWXTd8HUdesGUCotwnPuophvHFlN6yzDNOa5T8aok3_GYz3aPAyi25Gw0XhhGgScy6b5YSyA1T0c8H1ew_OLglGCcSe8ZA5DPqnccs8olDQInDBhIlnN8C3fyA3NQnfGudtzICUbeBg

Blepharoplasty is a hit cosmetic procedure in Australia. Source: MyVision.org

So what exactly is a blepharoplasty?

Dr Michael Zacharia, a leading cosmetic surgeon in Sydney’s Double Bay, detailed that blepharoplasties–the medical term for an eyelid lift–are currently very popular. The procedure costs around $4000 to $6000.

‘Cosmetic procedures seem to be more accepted now and social media plays a big part in this,’ he said.

‘I am seeing younger patients having this procedure because of asymmetries, but also older patients who develop excess skin with ageing. Opening the eyes lifts the entirety of the face and makes the appearance more refreshed and younger without giving a “surprised” appearance.’

‘Sometimes the brow also needs to be lifted to help remove the excess skin. Everyone needs to be assessed on an individual basis.’ he continued.

xDeUqmlEC2xYR7s0N2pDVEkZ-f2QMVJh0mVL9TPVkR8aVx5PQTK-kwVh4FU5yPAFwFia8l1Z7_9Vme6JXB764tzlXZx0rEDpzutNHpJzBLlI2pjp19IT54TO-7I50J8ZVl1f8MniH0quSpA8-31druwTIqa_MABvTFGMzGJmHKokA7FlFpK-TtcoAw

54-year-old Comedian Julia Morris’ before and after pictures. Source: Yahoo! Lifestyle

Dr Zacharia then added that the procedure typically takes about an hour.

‘All surgeries have risks and complications, however, a blepharoplasty is usually very minor and there is very little risk to the eye itself.’ he said.

‘Upper blepharoplasty usually involves removing a strip of excess skin along the natural eyelid crease, and possibly some of the muscle and fat underneath, then stitching the skin together. This can be performed under local anaesthesia in an office environment.’

‘The lower lids are usually more complicated and most often performed under general anaesthesia.’

What is getting the surgery like?

If you’re wondering what the experience must be like, Rebekah Scanlan from news.com.au took one for the team and gave the procedure a shot.

She went to Dr Zacharia and had her upper lids done. Despite being excited to see the result, she admitted that the overall process was quite horrifying.

‘There’s something weird and terrifying about the idea of having your eyelid cut into while you’re fully conscious. But surprisingly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought.’ she described.

‘The worst part was the anaesthesia being injected, which was a little unpleasant, but I very quickly became numb. In the chair, the doctor talked me through every little slice he was making, and while I could feel things were happening, it didn’t hurt.’

‘When I opened my eyes for the first time my lids were really heavy which felt strange, but my vision was totally fine.’

Source: @drzacharia

The recovery process

As one would expect, recovery is another thing to consider. Dr Zachary said: ‘Initial recovery with swelling and bruising takes 1-2 weeks to settle.’

‘Sutures are usually removed at 5-7 days and most patients can be back at work after a week. The incision takes several weeks to settle. After 3 to 6 months, the scars should be hardly noticeable.’

Rebekah shared that her eyelids only felt sore during the first day. By day three, she was going for walks while wearing sunglasses. She also mentioned that showering was difficult as the incisions needed to be kept dry. But the biggest downside for her was the itchiness due to scabbing.

When the stitches were removed, Rebekah said that she was very impressed with the results.

cdqW6nXcQijv-e_UCFXbxpt8gI49uLAlLKGZIyTpLyn2i0lPHKwLY0kWJzI9A8dTetwuwDSmpumY7UW9p5_GKDJQ6e85KanfzyXJmkvPlFDBLMpfkGYe5ugzD9MJT7YUJfeeEESbfsAFD_tQ8F7d4X6R6I-r0C2miuIyNZ3RZau6nnpxB346daArFg
eysYwiUguMiBqQ8_kFoJHBgqCP0ImYzR62OHCNN2wtHA62GUHfmte2rTvWVZE9OQQej_xJzJvFFkH714QjjkHdBr8xHpMwDCz6bn3YSZ7Ijo1kiIEh85RCMMl32SjtU9szCZZI7XmHBPY-4xrE3gQj4ydfVIVnbXecE5J2FQgsiCJHHiSHOzqwEClQ

Rebekah documented her experience. Source: news.com.au

‘Once the stitches were out, I started to see the results of Dr Zacharia’s work – and boy, even though my incisions were still pretty red, the change was impressive. My face looked lighter as if I’d had the best eight-hour sleep of my life.’

‘Much more of my eyelids were now also visible as they were no longer hidden behind my droop.’

Despite how expensive the surgery was, she said that it was ‘worth every cent’.

‘This procedure was probably the most common cosmetic surgery performed last year as it can often be done under local anaesthesia in the rooms, recovery is quick, and the results are excellent.’ Dr Zacharia said.

‘It has increased in popularity recently as more and more people are interested in cosmetic procedures.’

Nearly a year later, Rebekah said that the subtle tweak has boosted her confidence to another level.

‘My scars have healed nicely, and while I know they are there, no one else can see them. They’re practically invisible. The best part is I can now wear makeup completely differently and it has been so fun to play around with different eyeshadows and eyeliners knowing my “eye beef” won’t get in the way.’

What are your thoughts about blepharoplasty? Have you heard of the procedure before reading this article? Let us know in the comments!
Learn more about the cosmetic procedure by watching the video below:

Source: Johns Hopkins Medicine

Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
I wouldn't consider it for purely cosmetic reasons, but if my sight was reduced, I would consider it.
Also, people might consider it, if required, for emotional reasons, to boost their self-confidence. Let's hope they research potential side-effects or risk factors diligently.

Before we get into the nuts and bolts of this article, we’d like to emphasise that we are not encouraging anyone to go under the knife – nor do we think that any of you need to do so! If you’re curious about how the procedure works, you’ve been considering it or simply want to hear about the new procedure Aussies are taking up, then we’ve got you covered.

We’re in full support of everybody’s freedom to choose what makes them feel happier and more confident with their bodies.

Since Facebook and Instagram took over the internet, it has been easier to nitpick things we don’t like about ourselves and compare them with others. From a wave of public figures getting rhinoplasties, lip fillers, and butt lifts, the latest trend on the rise is blepharoplasty operations.

In fact, well-known comedian Julia Morris boasted about the stark difference that the surgery made on her Instagram profile. In the before and after pictures, the 54-year-old star looked bright-eyed and fresh, describing it as an ‘eye beef removal’.

yZ7UF1C5iEm6EGlcayXC2Nq6xo2rpggjUHdxTchRSgcQMuSzWXTd8HUdesGUCotwnPuophvHFlN6yzDNOa5T8aok3_GYz3aPAyi25Gw0XhhGgScy6b5YSyA1T0c8H1ew_OLglGCcSe8ZA5DPqnccs8olDQInDBhIlnN8C3fyA3NQnfGudtzICUbeBg

Blepharoplasty is a hit cosmetic procedure in Australia. Source: MyVision.org

So what exactly is a blepharoplasty?

Dr Michael Zacharia, a leading cosmetic surgeon in Sydney’s Double Bay, detailed that blepharoplasties–the medical term for an eyelid lift–are currently very popular. The procedure costs around $4000 to $6000.

‘Cosmetic procedures seem to be more accepted now and social media plays a big part in this,’ he said.

‘I am seeing younger patients having this procedure because of asymmetries, but also older patients who develop excess skin with ageing. Opening the eyes lifts the entirety of the face and makes the appearance more refreshed and younger without giving a “surprised” appearance.’

‘Sometimes the brow also needs to be lifted to help remove the excess skin. Everyone needs to be assessed on an individual basis.’ he continued.

xDeUqmlEC2xYR7s0N2pDVEkZ-f2QMVJh0mVL9TPVkR8aVx5PQTK-kwVh4FU5yPAFwFia8l1Z7_9Vme6JXB764tzlXZx0rEDpzutNHpJzBLlI2pjp19IT54TO-7I50J8ZVl1f8MniH0quSpA8-31druwTIqa_MABvTFGMzGJmHKokA7FlFpK-TtcoAw

54-year-old Comedian Julia Morris’ before and after pictures. Source: Yahoo! Lifestyle

Dr Zacharia then added that the procedure typically takes about an hour.

‘All surgeries have risks and complications, however, a blepharoplasty is usually very minor and there is very little risk to the eye itself.’ he said.

‘Upper blepharoplasty usually involves removing a strip of excess skin along the natural eyelid crease, and possibly some of the muscle and fat underneath, then stitching the skin together. This can be performed under local anaesthesia in an office environment.’

‘The lower lids are usually more complicated and most often performed under general anaesthesia.’

What is getting the surgery like?

If you’re wondering what the experience must be like, Rebekah Scanlan from news.com.au took one for the team and gave the procedure a shot.

She went to Dr Zacharia and had her upper lids done. Despite being excited to see the result, she admitted that the overall process was quite horrifying.

‘There’s something weird and terrifying about the idea of having your eyelid cut into while you’re fully conscious. But surprisingly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought.’ she described.

‘The worst part was the anaesthesia being injected, which was a little unpleasant, but I very quickly became numb. In the chair, the doctor talked me through every little slice he was making, and while I could feel things were happening, it didn’t hurt.’

‘When I opened my eyes for the first time my lids were really heavy which felt strange, but my vision was totally fine.’

Source: @drzacharia

The recovery process

As one would expect, recovery is another thing to consider. Dr Zachary said: ‘Initial recovery with swelling and bruising takes 1-2 weeks to settle.’

‘Sutures are usually removed at 5-7 days and most patients can be back at work after a week. The incision takes several weeks to settle. After 3 to 6 months, the scars should be hardly noticeable.’

Rebekah shared that her eyelids only felt sore during the first day. By day three, she was going for walks while wearing sunglasses. She also mentioned that showering was difficult as the incisions needed to be kept dry. But the biggest downside for her was the itchiness due to scabbing.

When the stitches were removed, Rebekah said that she was very impressed with the results.

cdqW6nXcQijv-e_UCFXbxpt8gI49uLAlLKGZIyTpLyn2i0lPHKwLY0kWJzI9A8dTetwuwDSmpumY7UW9p5_GKDJQ6e85KanfzyXJmkvPlFDBLMpfkGYe5ugzD9MJT7YUJfeeEESbfsAFD_tQ8F7d4X6R6I-r0C2miuIyNZ3RZau6nnpxB346daArFg
eysYwiUguMiBqQ8_kFoJHBgqCP0ImYzR62OHCNN2wtHA62GUHfmte2rTvWVZE9OQQej_xJzJvFFkH714QjjkHdBr8xHpMwDCz6bn3YSZ7Ijo1kiIEh85RCMMl32SjtU9szCZZI7XmHBPY-4xrE3gQj4ydfVIVnbXecE5J2FQgsiCJHHiSHOzqwEClQ

Rebekah documented her experience. Source: news.com.au

‘Once the stitches were out, I started to see the results of Dr Zacharia’s work – and boy, even though my incisions were still pretty red, the change was impressive. My face looked lighter as if I’d had the best eight-hour sleep of my life.’

‘Much more of my eyelids were now also visible as they were no longer hidden behind my droop.’

Despite how expensive the surgery was, she said that it was ‘worth every cent’.

‘This procedure was probably the most common cosmetic surgery performed last year as it can often be done under local anaesthesia in the rooms, recovery is quick, and the results are excellent.’ Dr Zacharia said.

‘It has increased in popularity recently as more and more people are interested in cosmetic procedures.’

Nearly a year later, Rebekah said that the subtle tweak has boosted her confidence to another level.

‘My scars have healed nicely, and while I know they are there, no one else can see them. They’re practically invisible. The best part is I can now wear makeup completely differently and it has been so fun to play around with different eyeshadows and eyeliners knowing my “eye beef” won’t get in the way.’

What are your thoughts about blepharoplasty? Have you heard of the procedure before reading this article? Let us know in the comments!
Learn more about the cosmetic procedure by watching the video below:

Source: Johns Hopkins Medicine

I had this surgery a few years ago because my optometrist recommended it, as I had very droopy eyelids, which made my eyes feel tired all the time. Immediately after the surgery my eyes were black and really swollen (not a pretty sight). It did help a lot, but my eyelids are uneven now. It's much easier to apply mascara now without getting it on my eyelids, and it did help with the tiredness and the constant blinking I had, but I feel my eyelids are starting to droop again slightly, and when my eyes are tired I tend to blink a lot.
I would recommend it if you have issues with very droopy eyelids which made you feel tired, or blink a lot, but not for vanity reasons.

I'm a media person, so professional makeup stays on my face for a long time. Almost every woman knows the feeling of bliss after washing off the makeup from her eyes, but in my case, the bliss was stronger because of the cleansing of the droopy eyelids. I endured hour-long discomfort because I spend several hours in front of the camera every day. This surgery made my life better and my career more successful! This clinic works wonders https://www.lafacialplasticsurgery.com/plastic-surgery/eyelid-surgery. Don't think the discomfort you feel about your appearance wont be considered a sufficient reason for surgery. We all have the right to look the way we want.

Last edited: