ALDI makes shocking response to theft spike

In a move that has surprised many shoppers, an ALDI store in Sydney's Waterloo has taken the step of temporarily removing shopping baskets from its entrance due to a significant increase in thefts.

This drastic measure has left customers with the sole option of using trolleys, which require a $1 or $2 coin to unlock, a minor inconvenience that underscores a larger issue.

The supermarket chain, which has been a favourite among Australians for its competitive pricing and no-frills shopping experience, confirmed the basket shortage.

The disappearance of the baskets has been so pronounced that one staff member estimated up to 2,000 baskets had been ‘stolen’.

shutterstock_1051178306.jpg
ALDI temporarily removed its shopping baskets in response to theft spike. Credit: Shutterstock

This figure was neither officially confirmed by an ALDI spokesperson nor did they offer a reason behind the disappearance of baskets.

However, the supermarket will take action on illegal activities as detected by its CCTV used to monitor theft.

Theft in Australian supermarkets has been a growing concern, exacerbated by the cost-of-living crisis affecting millions nationwide.

While other major chains like Coles and Woolworths have implemented various security measures, including security gates at self-service checkouts, ALDI has traditionally taken a more relaxed approach.

Earlier this year, it was reported that ALDI's self-service checkouts did not use the responsive weight plates other supermarkets employ to detect discrepancies in the bagging area.

Despite the challenges, ALDI is working to address the basket issue swiftly.

'We are working to replenish the baskets as quickly as possible and have introduced a smaller 105-litre trolley at the Waterloo store to ensure our customers can continue to enjoy a comfortable shopping experience,' an ALDI spokesperson stated.

It's worth noting that ALDI only introduced shopping baskets to its Australian stores in 2022, a move that was well-received by customers who had long requested them.

Despite the need to adjust prices in response to financial pressures, ALDI has consistently been recognised for its value, winning the title of Australia's favourite supermarket for six consecutive years in Canstar's Supermarket Satisfaction awards.

This popularity suggested that while ALDI may face challenges like theft and price increases, its commitment to affordability and customer satisfaction remains strong.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI store in Sydney's Waterloo has temporarily removed shopping baskets due to a shortage caused by theft.
  • Shoppers at the affected store are required to use trolleys, which need a $1 or $2 coin until the basket shortage is addressed.
  • ALDI has introduced a smaller 105-litre trolley to ensure customers have a comfortable shopping experience despite the shortage.
  • Despite increasing theft, ALDI has not implemented strict security measures like its competitors and remains Australia's favourite supermarket, according to Canstar's Supermarket Satisfaction awards.
Have you noticed changes in your local supermarkets due to theft? How do you feel about removing shopping baskets and the potential for increased security measures? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Take my own basket plus several bags.......so it's not me.... although I have been questioned about 'who owns' the basket getting into a fracas with one store that claimed it was theirs until I pointed out mine was a different colour. I had bags at the bottom of mine..... they are worth about $17.00 each...

We now take our own trolley & basket. I have bought a V Cart (trolley) we now do not have to worry about wonky wheels, but mainly no germs on it. I take a folding basket to Aldi as it is much quicker to put shopping in. It is a waste of time dropping shopping straight into a trolley & then have to repack at the bench. We take a lined foil bag for fridge items. We never have to waste time by replacing. We find this suits us fine.

Reactions: Ezzy
I have 2 baskets that I have used for a number of years. They are marked and scratched and generally show their age. Twice I have been asked at my local Aldi to leave the basket as I exit the store. When I replied , it is a different colour , it is old and I brought it in with me, she asked to see my receipt. One of my baskets is light blue, the other a bright yellow. They need to concentrate on finding the real thieves.

That doesn't surprise me. People steal anything. Customers use Aldi's trolleys only if they are stand alone/destination stores. Otherwise, customers use Coles or Woolworths trolleys for Aldi stores that are in shopping centres. Apart from my bags, the only basket I have is a patterned material one that is colllapsible. No query with that.

That doesn't surprise me. People steal anything. Customers use Aldi's trolleys only if they are stand alone/destination stores. Otherwise, customers use Coles or Woolworths trolleys for Aldi stores that are in shopping centres. Apart from my bags, the only basket I have is a patterned material one that is colllapsible. No query with that.
There shouldn't be a query with my ligh5bblue and yellow baskets of 2 totally different sizes , when all Aldi baskets are black and in my store with the Aldi name on them. I've also been asked to show a receipt for freezer bags, so now I take my Coles or Woolies freezer bags to Aldi or vice versa. They need to be onto the people eating fruit while walking around the shops, not including the kids fruit.

There shouldn't be a query with my ligh5bblue and yellow baskets of 2 totally different sizes , when all Aldi baskets are black and in my store with the Aldi name on them. I've also been asked to show a receipt for freezer bags, so now I take my Coles or Woolies freezer bags to Aldi or vice versa. They need to be onto the people eating fruit while walking around the shops, not including the kids fruit.
That sounds a good plan for using those freezer bags to use in Aldi. I have reusable produce bags that I wash. Had them for many years as my local farmers markets have been 'plastic free'.

I have 2 baskets that I have used for a number of years. They are marked and scratched and generally show their age. Twice I have been asked at my local Aldi to leave the basket as I exit the store. When I replied , it is a different colour , it is old and I brought it in with me, she asked to see my receipt. One of my baskets is light blue, the other a bright yellow. They need to concentrate on finding the real thieves.
What about sticking your name labels on so no mix up 🤗

Reactions: Ezzy and Caron
Woolworths & Coles doesn’t allow baskets to leave their stores yet customers think they can take the Aldi baskets 😏
Coles and Woollies baskets have security tags on them (easy to peel them off to avoid detection) if you know where they are located.

I have been unable to purchase my normal dishwashing tablets for weeks now. This week there was a new box with 45 tablets available. No rhyme or reason given and I will see if they work as well as the normal ones

Reactions: IAN3005
I have been unable to purchase my normal dishwashing tablets for weeks now. This week there was a new box with 45 tablets available. No rhyme or reason given and I will see if they work as well as the normal ones
Watch for weight and price..... you will find that retailers keep stock off the shelves for at least 3 weeks (that is the psychological adjustment period) before the price goes up and the weight goes down.

Reactions: marni
SALAMANDER BAY HAD SAME PROBLEM . I told them the baskets were too anomymous . woolies green coles red but hey had black . I told them they should should order bright pink so everyone would know it was stolen . Seemed a good idea to me .

Last edited:
Those coin operated trollies are open to abuse too. Not actually inserting a coin to get a trolley but receiving a coin on return or using a different coin are said to be common methods.

A bit like something for nothing. Don't pay to hire the trolley but receive payment on return. Do this often enough a person could make a small fortune.