Aldi’s ‘Australian honey’ sparks debate on Facebook

An unusual detail on a honey jar indicated that the product wasn't as Australian made as it seemed.

After purchasing a 700g jar of Bramwells Mixed Blossom Honey, an Aldi shopper discovered that the manufacturer only made it from 20 per cent Australian ingredients.

_QjUE7ZM_k5jcW2pvCXtgeTqL5k35DuIQN7Hnpm0SRlmMXsXpSVrVbVFmq2O7z7SmzhhZ13dxTb1qgTgBAMh55zDuNMRgp8FRnd0ijlDZ5t8OJC0Hv5B_f1CRxdw-9p4ZVB1bV92

The label says, “Packed in Australia from at least 20% Australian ingredients”. Photo from Facebook.
“I try to buy Aussie products and sometimes end up with disappointment by being in a hurry,” the unhappy customer wrote on a post in a Facebook group.

“What would comprise 20 per cent Aussie in honey whilst it says 100 per cent honey?”

The post amassed a wave of different opinions from fellow Aussies who provided reasons they believed the 'Bramwells Mixed Blossom Honey' only contained one-fifth of Australian ingredients.

“It's a ‘mixed’ honey. So the producers mixed 20 per cent Australian honey with 80 per cent imported honey to get a particular flavour profile,” one user wrote in the comments.

“It might not even be 100 per cent honey,” another person stated that the C4 adulteration test cannot identify if the food substance has been blended with syrup that just mimics honey.

“So a jar of commercial honey that says 100 per cent honey could actually be 20 per cent honey and 80 per cent syrup,” concluded the person.

A third person suggested a test to see if it’s natural honey.

“Drizzle it into the water, and if it dissolves, it’s not real honey,” he said, adding that real honey should settle on the bottom.

Other shoppers suggested avoiding buying honey from supermarkets altogether. Instead, they could source it from their local beekeepers.

Other shoppers told the unhappy customer to purchase honey from local beekeepers rather than grocery stores.

“Buy direct from beekeepers,” said one woman.

“I would suggest joining a Facebook group like Beekeepers Australia, and asking there for pure honey,” wrote another.

ENdX9emDkqpp9Qay8rTJm7HCg3WlrDWHd7VjU-zrS9qyPsZYiaC-DwL8CI5gXHQk3JNPQ_q_ZdO0EKlmXszMWqljWkW2lYLaNVuvagf0FHS2wJrbZnvV66ttqrKV7SjJQMBdDePR

Australian honey is held to a much higher standard, as strict rules regulate the entire beekeeping process. Photo retrieved from news.com.au.

Other Aldi fans noted there are 100 per cent Australian made honey products sold at supermarkets. By correctly reading the label, one can see the Australian made logo and how much of the product is made from Australian ingredients.

Do you buy Australian made fresh honey? Or are you okay to buy supermarket honey? Let us know in the comments down below!

Reactions: BabsL
Sponsored
I shop at Aldi but always read labels. I saw this honey and won't buy. But there are others which I have pure honey smaller but depends on how much u use.
NovaFarms 100% Raw and unfiltered Honey 100% Australian honey. Absolutely delicious. 360g

An unusual detail on a honey jar indicated that the product wasn't as Australian made as it seemed.

After purchasing a 700g jar of Bramwells Mixed Blossom Honey, an Aldi shopper discovered that the manufacturer only made it from 20 per cent Australian ingredients.

_QjUE7ZM_k5jcW2pvCXtgeTqL5k35DuIQN7Hnpm0SRlmMXsXpSVrVbVFmq2O7z7SmzhhZ13dxTb1qgTgBAMh55zDuNMRgp8FRnd0ijlDZ5t8OJC0Hv5B_f1CRxdw-9p4ZVB1bV92

The label says, “Packed in Australia from at least 20% Australian ingredients”. Photo from Facebook.
“I try to buy Aussie products and sometimes end up with disappointment by being in a hurry,” the unhappy customer wrote on a post in a Facebook group.

“What would comprise 20 per cent Aussie in honey whilst it says 100 per cent honey?”

The post amassed a wave of different opinions from fellow Aussies who provided reasons they believed the 'Bramwells Mixed Blossom Honey' only contained one-fifth of Australian ingredients.

“It's a ‘mixed’ honey. So the producers mixed 20 per cent Australian honey with 80 per cent imported honey to get a particular flavour profile,” one user wrote in the comments.

“It might not even be 100 per cent honey,” another person stated that the C4 adulteration test cannot identify if the food substance has been blended with syrup that just mimics honey.

“So a jar of commercial honey that says 100 per cent honey could actually be 20 per cent honey and 80 per cent syrup,” concluded the person.

“Drizzle it into the water, and if it dissolves, it’s not real honey,” he said, adding that real honey should settle on the bottom.

Other shoppers suggested avoiding buying honey from supermarkets altogether. Instead, they could source it from their local beekeepers.

Other shoppers told the unhappy customer to purchase honey from local beekeepers rather than grocery stores.

“I would suggest joining a Facebook group like Beekeepers Australia, and asking there for pure honey,” wrote another.

ENdX9emDkqpp9Qay8rTJm7HCg3WlrDWHd7VjU-zrS9qyPsZYiaC-DwL8CI5gXHQk3JNPQ_q_ZdO0EKlmXszMWqljWkW2lYLaNVuvagf0FHS2wJrbZnvV66ttqrKV7SjJQMBdDePR

Australian honey is held to a much higher standard, as strict rules regulate the entire beekeeping process. Photo retrieved from news.com.au.

Other Aldi fans noted there are 100 per cent Australian made honey products sold at supermarkets. By correctly reading the label, one can see the Australian made logo and how much of the product is made from Australian ingredients.

Do you buy Australian made fresh honey? Or are you okay to buy supermarket honey? Let us know in the comments down below!
When shopping I read every label to ensure it is as much Australian product as possible. I buy Beechworth honey. Even better I have now got my own hive👍👍

Reactions: WendyP
We buy from the Supermarket: Beechworth Honey
We are heading to Beechworth this coming thursday for 1 week. We are staying in the caravan park with friends who have their own van too. I will go the the supermarket especially to buy the honey..

Reactions: WendyP
I only buy Australia condiments - especially Honey. It has been proved the honey from China contains nasties and pesticides. Calypso honey uses Chinese honey to boost its output.
See "Save the bees Australia" and "BEE THE CURE.COM.AU"

Reactions: MarieT
I only ever buy fresh local honey, it's better for you and at least I know where it comes from.

When shopping I read every label to ensure it is as much Australian product as possible. I buy Beechworth honey. Even better I have now got my own hive👍👍
That sounds exciting! 😳😳😳 did you have any beekeeping experience beforehand or are you learning on the job?

I won't buy anything unless it's labelled at least 80% Australian content.

We are lucky enough to be able to purchase our honey from a friend at darts.

I only ever buy directly from a local bee keeper. There are always quite a few to be found, now this hobby is becoming more popular, in all regions.

Reactions: Wendy