SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
AIBU 24.05.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Gransnet/mabon1:

Am I being unreasonable for refusing to 'upgrade' my home?

'I recently listed my home for sale. When the estate agent came to inspect it, they strongly advised me to renovate the bathroom and kitchen, which are both made of solid oak, in order to attract buyers.

However, as an 80-year-old with limited financial resources, I cannot afford extensive renovations. My home is already in great condition and has a respectable C rating for insulation.

I politely disagreed with the agent, expressing that this house is my sanctuary—it's cosy and well-maintained, just the way I prefer it. I mentioned that any potential buyer could tackle those upgrades themselves. Do you think I'm being unreasonable?'

We're eager to hear your perspectives, members! Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

Years ago I sold a renovated queenslander which had the original kitchen cupboards. The agent said not to change them as it could be a negotiating point and if I did, may not be what the purchaser liked. The house sold and the purchaser said they bought it because they loved the genuine kitchen. Interesting.

No I'm a bit sick of seeing agents tell people they should renovate or "stage" their homes. It really is totally ridiculous. If a prospective buyer can't see past what you have to work out if their stuff will fit or not then they should not be house hunting. Most agents just want to sell the place so they get the commission as quickly as possible so doing renovations in most cases won't add a lot of "agent value" to the sale.

No, do not upgrade anything. Just make sure that everything is clean, no clutter, nice towels in the bathroom. A vase of flowers in the kitchen. The agent should realise that you are probably downsizing and why would you spend money to upgrade when all you want is to move.

Firstly find yourself a new agent to list your home with…
Secondly in these economic times, perspective buyers would just be happy to get their foot in the door to home ownership.
Thirdly if you are happy to sell your home as is, then it may reflect in the amount you receive for your home.
Fourthly do not change a thing…let the buyers do that to their new home

Plus if you do any renovations you don’t want to spend more than what you’ll come out with in the sale. Plus you can guarantee there will be something a new buyer will want to change and you don’t want it to be something you just spent money on.

Find a new Agent. When one is looking at buying a home, the main thing that most people look at is, how clean and easy to clean a house is. Make sure the gardens look great, the inside clean and fresh smelling, (wiping benches over with eucalyptus or lemon myrtle oil, or a combination of both. Good luck

Hubby and I had this discussion this morning. When we decide to sell our 25+ year old home we are not going to renovate anything. The new owners can do that before they move in if they want to. We are happy with what we have and it is still functional and looks good.

I don't like the way all homes for sale now look the same inside. White walls, same style kitchens bathrooms. A throw rug on the beds and couch.
I don't believe this person is being unreasonable by saying l am basically selling my home my castle as it is. Who ever chooses to purchase the house can update what ever they wish.
Maybe people will disagree with me, but everyone has different tastes. Some love modern some retro some older antique style, which is my husband and l my mother loves to let me know how she dislikes our taste. She tells me l have to much clutter, honestly l don't know where the clutter is. Again everyone to their own. In saying that l believe you decide to sell your home you don't need the real-estate coming in and saying. Well update this and that. I am sure most people don't have extra money to be putting into their house for selling. Whether you are young middle aged or your older years.
I wish this person the very best of luck selling their beloved home and getting the best price they can. Good luck in your new home.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Reactions: 52-KID